Re Ale Extra - Birra Del Borgo

Re Ale ExtraRe Ale Extra

Birra Del Borgo visit their website
Italy

(Beer added by: stcules on 11-13-2007)

NOLANDMAN, Dec 06, 2012

ABHatter, Nov 15, 2011

patm1986, Nov 18, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Off the bottle menu at churchkey dc. Gorgeous custom bottle. Lively bottle conditioning demands an unhurried pour. Appearance is hazy orange-straw with a fluffy straw-white head that is in no hurry to fade away. Aroma is grassy citrusy, but posses a depth of character that is quite uncommon. The same could be said of the flavor. Vastly deep and complex, citrusy, grassy, piney, herbal, and rustic. My guess would we be a delicate but assertive blend of US and noble hops. Malt backbone is bready with a touch of camarel. Finishes with a lovely dry gentle tartness, that is reminiscent of a fine farmhouse ale. Exceptional.

tokyotim3000, Jan 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +22.3%

My first review on beer advocate.

First i would like to say I have enjoyed this beer from their regular bottle which ran around 19 dollars and from the bigger bottle that ran around 37 dollars. I enjoyed the smaller bottle more simply because the flavors seemed more concentrated, the mouth feel was much creamier and the nose seemed to be more floral.

The beer pours a perfect two finger head and resembles a solid reddish golden. Exactly like the picture on their website every pour.

The smell is robust and very appealing, cascade hops elevated on the top of a slight caramel and light apple or apricot being slowly heated on the stove. Very good.

I normally am not a huge fan of the taste of american IPA's. This opened up the world of IPA's for me. I can only describe it as fresh creamy floral activity exploding on my palate and cleansing everything that was before, finishing crisp and clean and slightly dry but not an uncomfortable dry. Amazing .. just perfect.

The mouthfeel i can only compare to that of a weihenstephaner. Except cleaner, crisper and creamier at the same time. It goes in your mouth and expands into creamy frothiness. So delicate but big. I would have to say this beer in the smaller bottle has the best mouthfeel i have ever encountered.

This is an experience worth having. I have tried many IPA's and for me this is the pinnacle of an IPA. It does not go overboard with the hops and every other aspect of the beer is spot on fantastic.

ConnoisseurOhio, May 22, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

razorsdescent, Jul 04, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +20.2%

This is my first non-Macro Italian bier. I've always heard GREAT things. Saw this at Plaza Liquors in Tucson, figured I'd give it a whirl.

A: Pours a nice, soapy, resiny head. Head retention is great. Turbid and colored like a Trippel.

S: Bright, floral hops aroma with an almost Belgian yeastiness.

T: Flavor is sweet and floral with a slightly stinging tartness. Moves into a yeasty bitterness mixed with a BRIGHT hoppy character. Finish is a blast of floral hops that lingers with you, in the best way.

MF: Smooth, though maybe a bit thin. Not unpleasant by any means.

D: If it hadn't cost me almost $10, I'd knock these back again and again

This lived up to my expectations for Italian brews. Really nice. Glad to see their bier scene is expanding and they can bring the skill of wine-making into brewing.

Plus, I love the yeasty, Belgian feel of this. Reminds me of Ale Asylum's (Madison, WI) Bedlam, which was an IPA with Belgian yeast. Hops are there, but not in the crushing, overpowering way. They are there with INTENSE aroma and bring a bright, fresh taste to the brew.

Excellent, indeed!

TheSSG, Jan 24, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer was recommended to me as a good Italian IPA by a local beer store while on vacation in Italy. It was a great find for me. I love IPA's and this is great one. It truly brings out the fruitiness of the cascade hops used to make it.

A: The beer pours with a thick white to beige head that settles slowly and leaves some lace on the class. The beer itself is golden to amber in color.

S: Upon first opening the bottle (which was room temp) I smelled apricots above all along with the piney notes characteristic of IPA's. The apricot aroma persisted even after being poured.

T: There are subtle hints of apricots, peaches and the bitters of the hops which mix well together. The bitters linger on the palate but are not harsh.

M: The beer is well carbonated giving a somewhate rough mouth feel in the front of the sip but finishes smooth.

Overall: I wish I could pick this up locally. I am a fan of IPA's and this is by far one of my favorites. I would definitely have this again (several times) if given the opportunity. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

Wiggedout40, Apr 12, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours pale hazy sun yellow with an athletic, champagne-like head that stays plenty long and trails. Nose is lemon meringue pie - creamy, citrus and floury malts plus a musty Belgian tang. Lemon sherbet malts with underlying honeyed pear, a wheaty creaminess, some white pepper burn, and both rosemary and candied grapefruit hops. Finishes light and dry. Lingering tangerine bitterness. Tingly, creamy, medium, some clingy resin, juicy, no burn.

I thought I'd never find a hoppy hybrid I liked more than Brooklyner-Schneider. I was wrong. Presses so many buttons - IPA, Saison, wheat - I can't even get my head around it. Different with every sip. I can only imagine it with food.

I never gush like this (check my other reviews) but this beer totally deserves it. The best thing to happen to me today.

Luckily, very much not retired.

StJamesGate, Sep 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

pat_usher, Jul 16, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Kroehny_Loves_Hops, May 01, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

330ml bottle bought online from MyBreweryTap.com

Poured a light golden copper yellow colour with a slight haze. White head poured loose and frothy and faded quickly to light bubbly coating with thicker edging... lightl carbonation... some faint lacing...

Aroma - Lots of juicy grapefruit, pear and apple fruitiness... very herbal, quite rubbery, floral honey, biscuit maltiness, light marzipan, sea salt, metallic notes, talcum powder traces, pine, grassy and earthy notes...

Taste... Good sweet biscuit malts followed by grapefruit and pear fruitiness, lots of bitter citrusy hops, grassy notes, caramel, definite floral honey, some faint pine, clove traces...

Feel - Sharp initially then smooths out... light / medium bodied... A supremely drinkable brew at 6.2%...

Overall - An excellent IPA... recommended...

mdagnew, Nov 08, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at the U Pick 6 Tap House in Erie, Pa.
Appearance is deep golden, very good lacing.
Aroma is of balance of hops and malt.
Taste is of sweet malt and tangy hop flavor. Good hop flavors with mild bitterness and finish. Crisp, clean flavors.
Overall an execellent ipa not as intense as american ipas but very flavorful and quaffable. Tastes fresh and delicious. Pricey but worth seeking out to try at least once. Glad I got to try this one before it was gone.

Orval1109, Jul 13, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +12%

Seeing as I am just starting to acquire a taste for the hoppier beers, there are not very many IPAs I can say I truly enjoyed. The fact that I can say that about this beer speaks for itself. It had a pleasantly hoppy aroma without making me weary. Its taste was delicious and it lacked the strong bitter finish which I dislike. Being in the style of an American IPA but actually from Italy was probably a contributing factor to my enjoyment because I didn't have to worry about it being too 'extreme', as IPAs from The States usually are. This beer is a great place to start for those such as myself who want to like IPAs but are still working on appreciating them to their fullest capacity.

steffigal22, Jun 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Glowing transparent gilt-edged copper topped with a thin scattering of head dust that left almost invisible strands of lace. The aromas are distinctly hop-centric: citrus peel, fresh blooming flowers, a touch of pine sap, and even some hints of earth. The hops lead things off with a bright citrus note that reminds me of old school West coast IPAs. Slowly, the additional hop elements come forth with the citrus and earth flavors remaining long through the finish. The malt is in the passenger seat and contributes a touch a bread crust and serves as a skeletal framework on which to hang the wonderful variety of hop flavors that keep on coming. A subtle honey-like sweetness emerges with warmth and also contributes a touch of spiciness. Dry, but not overly so, the medium bodied and soft carbonation make this an easy beer to consume. The menu listed this as a Belgian IPA, but I did not detect any typical Belgian traits. Nonetheless, this was an enjoyable beer to end the night. The 12 ounce glass was $9 at Rustico in Alexandria.

hopsaplenty, Mar 21, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a bright dark gold color with pretty good head retention and lacing. The nose is probably the least impressive aspect to this beer, consisting of some light malt and perfumy hops. On the palate, however, this is a very fine beer. Max's lists this as a saison/IPA, and I think that description quite apt. It has many of the qualities of both, showing some dry honey, but with some serious underlying hoppiness. There is just enough malt to balance and prop up the impressive amount of hoppy bitterness. This beer is reminescent (very) of the houblon choffe, but is lighter, lower in alcohol, and with a saison flavor profile. Also, there is almost a wheaty flavor to this beer as well. Mouthfeel is pretty light, and it has a crisp, refreshing finish. Drinkability is excellent, with the 6.4% (according to the beer menu here) no more then an after thought.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'd certainly order this one again.

It just blows my mind when stuff like this, without any fanfare, just happens to show up on the draft menu.

John_M, Feb 28, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the bad apple chicago

A- hazy yellow almost orange with a white head that sticks around

S-nice blend of pine and citrus hops

T- follows the nose but more on the citrus side than the pine side

M-light bodied and smooth

O-great italian beer. First one I have ever actually liked. Good work!

brew3crew, Aug 11, 2011