2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Re Ale Extra - Birra Del Borgo

Re Ale ExtraRe Ale Extra

Birra Del Borgo visit their website
Italy

(Beer added by: stcules on 11-13-2007)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 120 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
Perrumpo

Maryland

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this on tap at Max's during their Italian Fest. Golden in color, not clear, white head. This was listed as an IPA. You get a good smack of sweet honey up front, followed by the hops that aren't very strong. I don't like severe IPAs, so I didn't mind that it wasn't very strong, but the honey was a bit too sweet to compliment the hops. Mouthfeel was pretty good. Easy to drink, hop-wise, but the sweetness of the honey makes it a little slower to drink.

07-25-2010 16:58:34 | More by Perrumpo
Greg_MacLeod

Thailand

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Purchased in an IPA sampler pack from Wishbeer in Bangkok.

A cloudy amber appearance with thick head that lasts a long while and a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Sweet bready smell with a decent amount of citrus and earthy hops.

Taste is strong. A solid grain / malt / bread base plus a hint of grapefruit and a crisp strong hops finish.

Medium body with a good CO2 bite.

Overall a good IPA. Well balanced flavor, but not over the top.

11-13-2013 12:39:18 | More by Greg_MacLeod
steffigal22

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Seeing as I am just starting to acquire a taste for the hoppier beers, there are not very many IPAs I can say I truly enjoyed. The fact that I can say that about this beer speaks for itself. It had a pleasantly hoppy aroma without making me weary. Its taste was delicious and it lacked the strong bitter finish which I dislike. Being in the style of an American IPA but actually from Italy was probably a contributing factor to my enjoyment because I didn't have to worry about it being too 'extreme', as IPAs from The States usually are. This beer is a great place to start for those such as myself who want to like IPAs but are still working on appreciating them to their fullest capacity.

06-07-2011 20:36:17 | More by steffigal22
Wiggedout40

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was recommended to me as a good Italian IPA by a local beer store while on vacation in Italy. It was a great find for me. I love IPA's and this is great one. It truly brings out the fruitiness of the cascade hops used to make it.

A: The beer pours with a thick white to beige head that settles slowly and leaves some lace on the class. The beer itself is golden to amber in color.

S: Upon first opening the bottle (which was room temp) I smelled apricots above all along with the piney notes characteristic of IPA's. The apricot aroma persisted even after being poured.

T: There are subtle hints of apricots, peaches and the bitters of the hops which mix well together. The bitters linger on the palate but are not harsh.

M: The beer is well carbonated giving a somewhate rough mouth feel in the front of the sip but finishes smooth.

Overall: I wish I could pick this up locally. I am a fan of IPA's and this is by far one of my favorites. I would definitely have this again (several times) if given the opportunity. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

04-12-2013 00:30:07 | More by Wiggedout40
tokyotim3000

Maine

4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Off the bottle menu at churchkey dc. Gorgeous custom bottle. Lively bottle conditioning demands an unhurried pour. Appearance is hazy orange-straw with a fluffy straw-white head that is in no hurry to fade away. Aroma is grassy citrusy, but posses a depth of character that is quite uncommon. The same could be said of the flavor. Vastly deep and complex, citrusy, grassy, piney, herbal, and rustic. My guess would we be a delicate but assertive blend of US and noble hops. Malt backbone is bready with a touch of camarel. Finishes with a lovely dry gentle tartness, that is reminiscent of a fine farmhouse ale. Exceptional.

01-10-2010 15:31:29 | More by tokyotim3000
Orval1109

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at the U Pick 6 Tap House in Erie, Pa.
Appearance is deep golden, very good lacing.
Aroma is of balance of hops and malt.
Taste is of sweet malt and tangy hop flavor. Good hop flavors with mild bitterness and finish. Crisp, clean flavors.
Overall an execellent ipa not as intense as american ipas but very flavorful and quaffable. Tastes fresh and delicious. Pricey but worth seeking out to try at least once. Glad I got to try this one before it was gone.

07-13-2012 16:55:08 | More by Orval1109
ConnoisseurOhio

4.78/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My first review on beer advocate.

First i would like to say I have enjoyed this beer from their regular bottle which ran around 19 dollars and from the bigger bottle that ran around 37 dollars. I enjoyed the smaller bottle more simply because the flavors seemed more concentrated, the mouth feel was much creamier and the nose seemed to be more floral.

The beer pours a perfect two finger head and resembles a solid reddish golden. Exactly like the picture on their website every pour.

The smell is robust and very appealing, cascade hops elevated on the top of a slight caramel and light apple or apricot being slowly heated on the stove. Very good.

I normally am not a huge fan of the taste of american IPA's. This opened up the world of IPA's for me. I can only describe it as fresh creamy floral activity exploding on my palate and cleansing everything that was before, finishing crisp and clean and slightly dry but not an uncomfortable dry. Amazing .. just perfect.

The mouthfeel i can only compare to that of a weihenstephaner. Except cleaner, crisper and creamier at the same time. It goes in your mouth and expands into creamy frothiness. So delicate but big. I would have to say this beer in the smaller bottle has the best mouthfeel i have ever encountered.

This is an experience worth having. I have tried many IPA's and for me this is the pinnacle of an IPA. It does not go overboard with the hops and every other aspect of the beer is spot on fantastic.

05-22-2013 16:09:02 | More by ConnoisseurOhio