2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Perle Ai Porci - Birra Del Borgo

Perle Ai PorciPerle Ai Porci

good

Birra Del Borgo visit their website
Italy

English Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ADZA on 05-11-2012)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 28 | Reviews: 7 | Show All Ratings:
lacqueredmouse

4.04/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried on handpump at Bir & Fud in Rome. This is an oyster stout, hence the "pearls" reference in the name.

Pours a solid, oily black colour, opaque with haze. Carbonation forms in a cloudy crest forming up to a frothy, persistent, pale-brown head. Lacing forms in patches and specks. Body is solid. Looks really good.

Toasty, nutty malt on the nose, but a little subdued. Some slight savoury characters come through with a little BBQ and saltiness. Some tannin comes through as well with a sharp wine sediment character. Overall, it's fairly light, but purposeful.

Light and frothy on the palate, some characters like milky coffee. Slight caramel tones come through, but not the true sweetness. The roast builds towards the mid and back, along with a red apple skin note. Finish is slightly medicinal or mineral like flint. Coffee lingers in the aftertaste.

Feel is smooth, frothy and light. Very nice.

Overall, this is a really solid, very easy-to-drink stout. The handpump really brought it out in its best light I think. It's a really cracking brew.

04-12-2014 17:06:31 | More by lacqueredmouse
Brenden

3.39/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is thick enough for a stout but without the heavy viscosity, a dead giveaway to its European nature. The blackness, though, is thick, and no brown shows. The medium brown head, a steady half-finger tall, has decent stay and lace.
This stout shows it English character in every way, and I'd almost forgotten what a difference there could be between it and what's typical of American counterparts. Earth, soil, mineral, a hint of smoke with a meatiness to it, and a touch of tang show some common elements but shy away from sweetness, booziness, or the heavier aspects of some even as just a bit of dry cocoa eases into the end.
The flavor showcases mostly roast, charred woods, tang and meatiness in the finish. The oyster is too subtle overall, and the charred woods end up on the astringent side in the end, but it has a little smooth smoky caramel and chocolaty sweetness easing things a bit.
It's got an almost crisp body on the light side of medium. It fits for the style as an English variant, though I understand the American urge to beef up the body. It has a tangy, sharp(ish) semi-dry finish.

03-03-2014 20:34:07 | More by Brenden
kojevergas

3.64/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I do love a good oyster stout so I'm pretty excited to try this (in spite of its current 79 rating). Cute 11.1 fl oz bottle with unbranded silver colour pry-off pressure cap and intricate design and fun label art acquired at a local bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; this is my first beer from this brewery, but I'm optimistic. Reviewed as an oyster stout since the label clearly identifies it as such. "Ale brewed with oysters and clams." I feel like this style is under-represented, and I always buy one when I chance across a new one. 5.50% ABV confirmed. "Imported by B. United International Inc." At least it's not the fucking Shelton Bastards...

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of gorgeous khaki colour. Has some really nice creaminess and thickness. The complexion is soft and inviting. Has a nice smooth even consistency. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Nice even lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque jet-black. Nontransparent/nontranslucent. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's about what you'd expect of an oyster stout and I'm really looking forward to trying it. While it's not unique or special, it has no overt or obvious flaws.

Sm: Faint chocolate malts, faint caramel, cream, vague brine, and maybe a buried hint of oyster. It's a reticent, closed off aroma of average strength.

No yeast character, hops, or alcohol is detectable. I find it appealing, if timid. I do like a beer in any given style to really commit to that style, and with that in mind I'd like more oystery and clammy notes. Let's not shy away from the premise of the beer.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malt, some wonderful creaminess, and a light briney note. If I had it blind, I doubt I'd note any oyster or clam notes, but when I look for them, it's a reach, but I do find a timid oyster/clam character. Others have noted this comes of salty; I'd make no such claim. I admit I'm surprised by how well balanced it is. I mean it's a very simple build for an oyster stout, but it's quite cohesive and it comes together nicely. It's by no means a complex or intricate brew, but I like the flavours it presents. The buried timid seafood notes do lend it some nuance; even in this style I still feel like any true oyster character at all is notable. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Mf: The creaminess is lovely. Well-rounded and delightfully smooth. The wetness is apt and helps make this a strangely refreshing oyster stout. Well-carbonated. Has a near perfect weight on the palate. Presence on the palate is great; it's very soft and comforting. The texture complements the flavour profile nicely, with evidence even of possible custom-tailoring specifically to the flavours in this profile.

Not biting, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, oily, or harsh.

Overall, it's a sleek slick well executed texture and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Dr: Hides its modest ABV well. Overall, I think it's a commendable oyster stout and while the clam element doesn't really come through as much as I'd like, I do think it commits to its premise. I do wish it pushed the seafood notes further, but I applaud the brewers for even attempting and releasing a beer in this style. Luckily for me, it turned out rather good and I look forward to trying more beers from this brewery. If we're being fair, it's a damn fine oyster stout and I only wish it was more affordable stateside. I'd recommend it to friends and frankly I'm a bit surprised by its current 79 rating. If you don't like oyster stouts inherently, please don't review them. I'm here to say this beer is worthy of your time and I hope it gets more attention in the coming months. I'd love another.

B

02-09-2014 04:39:03 | More by kojevergas
Kerie

Kentucky

1.94/5  rDev -45.2%

I'm fairly new to beers other than your run of the mill pilsner types so my review will be very simple. This beer was salty! It was slightly fishy (oyster-y) which I believe was the point, but the overwhelming characteristic for me was salt. I won't have it again.

01-02-2014 17:21:55 | More by Kerie
CrazyDavros

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours black with a fading small tan head.
Nose shows roasted malt, toasty hints, cocoa, coffee, and a briny note.
Heavy roasted malt as a flavour too with liquorice and toasty characters.
Nice medium-thick body and smooth carbonation.
Pretty enjoyable stout.

06-06-2013 05:26:04 | More by CrazyDavros
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

2.99/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured black with decent carbonation coming up. One finger of light brown head was on top leaving small spatterings of lace and no retention.

S - Chocolate, minerals, roast, sweet chocolate.

T - Chocolate, minerally again. Sweet and fairly minerally. Some saltiness of sorts. Starts out sweet and then goes earthy/minerally.

M - Quite dry in the finish, medium to full bodied and good carbonation.

O/D - An interesting beer but fairly difficult to get through the entire bottle. Not bad, but the minerality of it made it hard to drink. Neat to see the effects of the oysters, but not worth much beyond the experiment.

06-15-2012 04:49:28 | More by tbeckett
ADZA

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is actually an oyster stout but felt this was closest given i didnt have the option of the first and pours the darkest kola hue which leaves a two finger khaki laced head and heaps of nice clingy lacing,the smell is salty sea water,dark rich chocolate,herbal hops and dark roasty coffee,the mouthfeel is just under medium bodied and a touch slippery not what i expect in my stouts but due to the oysters i can understand and has tastes of dark rich chocolate,dark milky coffee,cocoa nibs,dark plums,a touch of chocolate coated cherries and finished with a touch of saltiness that leaves your mouth dry and wanting another sip and overall its alright and the oysters definately let themselves known thats for sure and even for someone like me whos not the biggest fan of oysters i must admit i dont get the oyster taste just the sea saltiness and even though i would not rush out and buy it again i can appreciate it for what it is cheers.

05-11-2012 14:09:19 | More by ADZA