Isabella Blonde - Kern River Brewing Company

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 03-01-2007

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a clear dark yellow with a soft white head, good lacing and head retention, a solid looking pint.

S: Intriguing, pineapple juice is most predominant, with orange, apricot, and rose petals rounding it out, very floral.

T: Light grainy malt with some floral/herbal hops, a clean flavour, lighter than I expected.

M: Smooth and creamy, light/medium-bodied.

D: A nice easy drinking ale from Kern River, it looks like I wasn't as taken with it as the rest of the group, but a beer that has its moments; a solid session pint. (548 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks to oglmcdgl for sharing the bottle brought back from cali.

A- Isabella has a mix of light gold with some orange built in to enhance the appearence. A one inch sturdy white head stood on top of the liquid for quite some time. Good lace patterns seen on the way down.

S- The smell on this is my favorite part of this beer, it's just so inviting. Big blasts of citrus scents with oranges and clemintines at the forefront. A nice hop base giving off floral qualities backed by some sweet malts. Smells delicious.

T- The huge citrus in the scent comes through in taste but it is not as pronounced as I thought it would be. I seem to get alot of oranges from this beer. In the middle some wheat and yeast present themselves with some hops built in. Finishes off rather floral and delicious.

M- A very small step up from light bodied while the carbonation was felt on the tounge. The carb is a touch high but still works well with this. Without it this would have been less interesting. The flavors invade the tastebuds.

D- I would of had no problem finishing off the bomber by myself. I look forward to more from this brewery. Hopefully one day they will find their way to store shelves in PA. (1,200 characters)

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a nice hazy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some really nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some slight hop/yeast profile, and some spices. The taste is malty, sweet, yeasty/slight hop, and some spice notes. Medium body. Drinkable, a tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it, thanks Bill. (423 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz Bomber

Here's another Kern River brew from the man himself, BitterBill, thank you Bill! Isabella is a bright golden beauty that shows a touch of haze and some straw golden highlights when backlit. Carbonation rises from random spots on the glass to the voluminous two finger linen white head. The foam settles lazily to a one finger cap with good staying power. This blonde is a knockout.

The nose is simple but clean and inviting. A semi-sweet graininess opens up a dusty grain aroma that fits incredibly well. A mild grassy hoppiness hits first and segues into a floral note that's very attractive. I don't know why but clean malty sweetness is incredibly inviting and almost comforting. It's tough to pull my nose from the glass.

The flavor mimics the nose fairly closely and manages to surpass it in the enjoyment category. The maltiness of this beer is so fresh and vibrant. That semi-sweet character gets things moving and eventually engulfs the tongue. Freshly husked grains and a drizzle of honey are what this beer tastes like in the most soothing of ways. The hops don't play much of a role but do manage to leave a whisper of floral notes behind. A touch of lemon is noticeable on the end too but I find myself reaching for it.

Isabella has one amazing mouthfeel! I couldn't imagine it being any better than what it is right now. She shows off a medium body and the carbonation is there but velvety soft. This brew rolls along my tongue like it was meant to be.

Drinkability is way up there with this fantastic blonde ale. I could honestly and easily drink this beer all day long without a care in the world. A beer this easy to drink is a rare find.

Isabella is the best blonde I'll I have ever encountered hands down. It's a true comfort beer for me and seems to fit perfectly as my idea of session ale. This beer actually blew me away which is something I never thought I would say when referring to a blonde ale. It's so simple, pure and clean it's hard not to love. Thanks for the treat Bill! Kern River seems to have a couple gems in their lineup. (2,076 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Purchased from HiTime Wines in Costa Mesa CA.

This pours a clear straw gold with about an inch of foam. Head retention and lacing both turned out to good.

The smell has a nice malty nose to it. I pick up some caramel for some sweetness and a bit of earthy hops.

The taste is malt dominated as well. Caramel malt, very light grain, some honey, and a bit of earthy hop semi bitterness and light tartness make this American Blonde quite tasty. The low abv is certainly a plus as this is going down very easy so I won't have to "pay" for it later.

The mouthfeel is on the high end of light, the carbonation is pretty light but fits nicely, and it finishes a little bit bitter, a little bit sweet. Right at the end it becomes slightly watery but no big deal.

Drinkability? The 4.5 says it should be very good. The taste says It *is* very good. Nothing boring about this ABA. I'm just checking my reviews of the style and there aren't many but I find Isabella ranks with the best I've tried.

I'm glad I found out about this brewery as I have a couple more styles of theirs to try. If the others are as well crafted as this one, I'm in for a real treat.(s)

Edit: second bottle tried and I'm even more impressed. Score adjusted accordingly. (1,240 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

had this on draft on 2 occasions while i was in kernville, once at "the broken oar" restaurant and once at the brewery itself...

pours a nice golden straw color, with a good 2 findger head...taste and mouthfeel is nice and smooth, with a hint of honey in the aftertaste...at only 4.5% this is extremely drinkable and would make an excellent session beer!

cannot wait to get back to kernville for some rafting and good beer! (429 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last