1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

good

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros

yeahhhhhhrvca, Nov 15, 2011

eulerthegrape, Dec 17, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +17%

Joel_gomez, Aug 20, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Big thanks to mrmiles for this unexpected extra!

A: Pours a hop-hazed amber/orange color with a massive massive fluffy eggshell color cap. Retention is as good as it gets. Absolutely awesome looking beer.

S: My favorite kind of IPA...Sweet tropical fruit and citrus aromas with lots of orange, grapefruit, mango, and tons of pineapple. Slight pine and resin as well, but less apparent.

T: Exceptionally balanced flavor with malts giving some caramel sweetness, and the hops give a solid bitterness. The flavor is really light and delicate, but packs a punch. Similar to Sculpin in that sense. The hops are very fruity- orange, lemon, grapefruit, pear, apricot, mango, and pineapple. Simply awesome...I live for these kind of IPAs. The yeast also adds a faint butter flavor.

MF/D: Medium body, very smooth and creamy going down. Carbonation is perfect and really compliments the hops.

Notes: Second beer from Kern River, with CITRA as my first. Both beers earned near perfect scores, and well deserving. Thanks again Miles!

scottyshades, Sep 18, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Kern River Just Outstanding IPA
Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.
For my 700th review.

A – Pours a gorgeous hazy orange color with some slight copper hints. It also has a very delicious looking white 1 inch head. Nice dense bubbles with some bigger medium sized bubbles intermingled around. Very nice looking IPA. Seems typical of the West Coast style bright sunny and enticing. (5.0)

S – Starts off with juicy tangerines and grapefruit. Some nice orange rind is present. The tropical notes are delicious and refreshing even on the nose. Slight mango and papaya as well. There is some nice biscuity and fresh grainy malt the hop profile is nice and robust. Flowery hops are present with some slight pine notes on the back end hops are mostly on the citrus side of things though. (5.0)

T & M – Taste is delicious. Starts off with tons of citrus hop notes. Juicy and sweet grapefruit is present as well as some nice mango and awesome tangerine and orange notes there is also some slight pine. The citrus notes are delicious. This IPA is awesome. It is a near perfect example of an American IPA from the West Coast. It is not too complicated and has very few frills but every single flavor is perfectly crafted and represented. The hops are grassy, fresh, citrusy and also have a slight delicious resiny pine note. There is nice bready and fresh baked malt grain notes as well. Very well balanced. The mouthfeel is clean, crisp and with some good carbonation. The ABV is present but it is not too intense or overwhelming and makes this very easily drinkable. So sad I cant get this more often.(5.0)(4.5)

O – I’m very impressed with this IPA. I think it should be more highly rated than it is. Should be closer if not more than PtE. It has the nice citrus notes with the delicious tropical notes and the piney hop notes balanced well by some nice bready and earthy grain. (5.0)

JoEBoBpr, Jul 27, 2011
4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass. Enjoyed this for IPA Day (8/7/2014). I've had this many many times due to its easy accessibility.

Appearance: pours a lucious golden orange with a two finger+ off white head. Sticky lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: big citrus, tropical fruit and grapefruit notes. This is the very definition of juicy.

Taste/mouthfeel: it says it on the bottle. Just Outstanding! The front has those big juicy tropical notes. The middle has a touch of pine, but a touch only. The finish showcases the wonderful balanced maltiness with a bit of a citrusy sweetness. Nice full mouthfeel.

Overall: This is my go to IPA and is KRBC's flagship for good reason. Nothing but outstanding things to say.

bnelson997, Aug 09, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I realized that I had not yet reviewed this particular brew from Kern River. And I have been advocating this wondrous brew by giving it as an extra on my trades. I received a fresh keg of it and promptly put it in the kegerator. So this review is based on a super fresh keg pour and not the bottle, which surprisingly got way better than the bottle (something that is hard to do with such a great tasting beer).

A: darker orange, copper appearance with an offwhite head that held at 2 fingers for quite some time. Not your typical IPA hue, but then again, this is NOT your typical American IPA.

S: holy shit, at first pull of the tap handle my bar area filled with the delicious aroma of ripe apricot, sticky resinous hops, some floral aromas...and I thought popping the top off of the 22 oz bottles released some delightful aromas...a fresh keg produced 100% better results! Awesome

T: Again, I thought it was going to be hard to beat the taste out of a fresh bottle, but WOW, I mean just WOW, fresh from the keg is the only way to go on this beer. Just Outstanding really nails it. Slight alcohol warmth to it in the end.

M: Sticky oily mouthfeel, perfect for the hopheads. Not to overpowering, still well balanced. Medium carbonation and tons of body on this one.

D: I think I can easily drink 4-5 pints of this, however after a while the ABV kicks in and realize its time to go to sleep. I am so glad that I have a keg of this yummy elixir to enjoy and enjoy for weeks to come.

**Again, this review was from a keg and not the bottle, which I thought couldnt get any better.**

Solomon420, Dec 13, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Very nice translucent golden-amber color with visual carbonation. Solid, thick 2 finger frothy eggshell colored head with great retention and lacing.

Nice floral, piney, citrus-grapefruit notes on the nose with just a touch of caramel.

Probably the best balance for an IPA I've ever had. Malt to hops blended so well. Nice floral and citrus notes with a touch of caramel malt in the aftertaste.

Very smooth mouthfeel, especially for an IPA. No bitter sting alot of ipas tend to have. Good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall I think the name, like the bottle says, says it all. This is now the best IPA ive ever had. I cannot find a fault in this beer Excellent flavor, nose, balance and look. A very easy drink. A must find. So glad I cracked this beer on this hot SoCal 4th of July weekend.

MrVonzipper, Jul 04, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A bomber purchased fresh 4/22, opened 5/7.

Lives up to it's name. The word is balance. Lightly amber, it starts with a big head that slowly fades. Plenty of lace to go around. There is a very slight haze and a medium amount of carbonation. Aroma is big. Lots of pine and tropical fruit. Plenty of hop bitterness, but not over the top, destroy your taste buds, like many West Coast IPAs. Soft mouth feel and semi dry middle and finish. Taste profile is similar to aroma with enough malt sweetness to keep the hops from dominating. Medium leaning toward light body and long bitter finish.

LittleDon, May 07, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

A: hazy dark orange with beautiful fluffy 1 finger head (poured into snifter). Leaves a nice lace on glass.

S: tons & tons of citrus & tropical fruits.. Peach, orange, mango, apricot, sweet caramel, with pine notes & grapefruit.. Just a RIPE smelling brew.

T: more of what the nose offered. Orange, peach, mango, grapefruit, finesse apricot flavor, with caramel to smooth everything out. Just a perfect mixture. Finishes with a nice citrus bitterness that lingers.. Not a heavily dry finish, but it does leave you puckering..

MF: the feel could have been a tad bit heavier IMO, but the carbonation is spot on.

D: SCARY GOOD! I had to slow myself down because I couldn't resist another sip..

Honestly, when I picked this up I was scared it wasn't fresh (purchased in SD & bottle has no date), so I only purchased one. As soon as I cracked this open and smelled I knew it was fresh!! The taste was the icing on cake.. I was honestly blown away by this beer & can say I prefer this over PtE.

Thank you KRBC!! Too bad I'm not back in my hometown which was an hour drive from there.

Cheers!!

aval89, Oct 06, 2010

OC_Hop_Head, Aug 24, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Snifter.

I've had this beer several times and have never had the time to review it, so here it goes

A - Pours a somewhat hazy amber with a head that’s as stiff as I have seen on a nitro poured beer. Amazing looking off white head. As the head recedes it leaves behind a nice trail as if a snail had crawled down the sides of the glass.

S – Tons of citrus, and pineapple. I’m also picking up tropical fruits such as mango and orange. A slight breadiness is present but its mostly overshadowed by the citrus aromas.

T – This is a delicious IPA which follows the smell very closely. Nice citrus and pine up front with a nice malt presence to balance it out. Such a clean and crisp IPA. KBC has mastered the IPA.

M - Medium bodied and nice light carbonation.

O – The label reads that “The name says it all” and I cant agree more. This beer is Just outstanding. It really is one of the best IPA's I’ve enjoyed thus far. This is one of the best examples of a great West Coast IPA. Come to think of it, this may be my favorite (non-special release) IPA.

dubinsky, Oct 22, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Not sure why it's taken me so long to track this one down. Saw it last night at City Beer Store and pulled the trigger. I tried to come in with average expectations.

A - Beautiful cloudy orange in a Guinness glass, moderately active and great head retention and lacing.

S - Wow. Not overpowering but a swirl brings out mangos, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and melons. Nice pineapple comes out as it warms. Quite honestly...this beer even smells creamy...makes me just as anxious for the mouthfeel as it does the taste.

T - JUST OUTSTANDING. Follows nose 100% and as it warms the malt backing this up must be perfect because it's very creamy as it is bitter. Amazing from a single IPA. So refreshing, Perfect bitterness. It's there but not at all overpowering or lacking. Did I say the bitterness is Perfect? Perfect for the style. I love this beer. This beer is better than 75% of all the DIPAs out there and I've had about all the hyped DIPAs on this site.

M - Perfect balance between creamy for an IPA (or DIPA for that matter) and bitterness. Goes down perfect. I can find no flaws in this deptartment

O - I will say this, which is not a flaw in my book but at 6.8%, it drinks bigger to me like a 7.5% beer might...in a good way though.

Final Thoughts - When it comes to Hops, here's a brewery to look out for. Step aside Blind Pig and Sculpin...I believe I like this beer just a wee bit more when it comes to single IPAs. Blows Union Jack out the water. I expected to like this beer but not this much. Craig at City Beer said it's been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks which probably makes this beer close to a month old. I can only imagine what this beer would have been like from the source or within a week of bottling. I was impressed with Citra in relation to the DIPA style but not as impressed I am with Just Outstanding for the IPA style.

I want more...