Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 432 | Hads: 1,204
4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

thanks matt!

pour is light hazy brown with orange hints. light creamy head, some lacing. looks a bit hazy and a bit thin.

huge scents, mainly pineapple, floral, and sweet citrus. amazing.

very floral up front, lots of sweet citrus through out and some pineapple. a slight pine bitterness creeps in and out. light malts. a lot going on here but not overpowering. very flavorful.

body looked thin but is not. nice light carbonation and decent body.

I could and would drink this all night and all day.

this is one awesome IPA, it really is JUST OUTSTANDING, for realz. i had never heard of Kern River so I did not know what to expect. I am glad i got this, such an easy drinking IPA with great flavors. exactly what I would expect from Cali.

love it...

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Toronado in San Diego

A - Perfect orange that is slightly hazy. One finger of white head with small bubbles that sticks to the glass very nicely.

S - Light nose. Pine, light grapefruit, and some bready malts.

T - Light bitter bite. Almost too smooth for an IPA, but this isn't a fault. Easy drinking with crisp pine up front that really mellows out into a smooth, sweet malty finish. Really amazing IPA that gets better and better as you drink it.

M - Medium body with really nice carbonation.

O - Another outstanding IPA from Kern River. Very sessionable and so smooth. These guys are true masters with hops.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to the dgb3 for this bomber; with a name like this, & a good reputation for this brewery, I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Seems like it's finally becoming more available, & now I get to sample it. Yippee! Sawed in half into separate pint glasses for the wife & myself on a snowy Friday evening after a round of shoveling & sliding with my girls.

Pours an unfiltered orange-yellow, like St. Paul tapwater in the spring. Props for a cool label, too, the donkey, bike tire, & cow-poke (donkey-poke?). Smell is solidly hoppy; foreshadowing rocks. I love my Simcoe hops!

Just Outstanding has a bit of an arrogant name, & that ups the ante. But it's damn good. The hops are crowing, a fragrant mix of roses, grapefruit, bitter old guy, citrus, strong pine - classic IPA. The malt is sitting in the corner, present but unobtrusive. A nice clean bitterness follows up & washes lazily over the palate. Which awaits another sip eagerly. Honestly, the pretty good nose doesn't do the taste justice.

This is the rare bomber that I could dismember easily, then reach for another. Not exactly sessionable, but hell, I'm willing to try. Wondering if I can distract my wife long enough to pilfer some of the juice left in her pint glass.

Excellent effin' brew. This lives up to its name & then some; a beer that I'd drink regularly & with enthusiasm if I could get my hands on it. I can only imagine how mind-blowing this would be fresh & on-tap. My favorite beer of the first 14 days of 2011.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark amber/orange color with plenty of head. The aroma has a lot of pine notes, along with the strong citrus hops. The taste is just as good, very balanced with lots of bitterness. The citrus and fruit notes are present, and the malt balances on the back end. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with good carbonation.

This is one heck of an IPA, I've wanted to try a Kern River beer and this is my first one. I'm very impressed and will have to find more.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at Toronado, nice to find this beer here. Tap to pint, the beer is amber-colored, a bit hazy and topped by a frothy head that retains well, coating the glass with rings of lace as I slowly sip. The hop character is fruity and tropical; guava, passionfruit, a bit of pineapple. Similar flavors present themselves to the palate; guava is especially prominent, along with pineapple, mango, passionfruit and bitter grapefruit toward the finish. It's on the dry and clean side despite the big fruity hop character, with a smooth bitter finish that lingers on in a mild way. This is aptly named.

A pint Shared with Klym and SundaySour

A: a very light orange, quite clear actually. The slightly burnt orange hue with rough patches of coloring reassures me that I'm drinking an IPA. if someone secretly put a slice of citrus on my glass I'd think I was just "hefeweizened". But no, I checked the bottle, it's still okay. The two finger head came and went, with some stubborn patches forming islands of lacing.

S: GUAVA FREAKING JUICE, seriously tropical smell with a massively juicey sniff. I can't stress enough, this smells like guava nectar that is cut with a slight variation of tropical juices joining the party. multiple sniffs leaves me with a settling on Guava Nectar/Mango hybrid ambrosia -- a nose for the gods.

T: has a really singed citrus taste. It has that really great zing character that is evident in all great IPAs. That said, I think that the relentlessly orange character of the flavors numb me a bit. It's a very Juicey IPA with very subtle notes of lemon and orange. The "singed" flavor I describe is pretty unique, as it works in unison with the flavor profile to create this mask that the hop burn hides behind. Lemons, oranges, and the sugars they are caramelized in hold your hand through the hop burn. They tell you "it's okay, we'll get you through this; you will feel no bitterness, we promise." Then tropical fruit juice acts as the finish line. Congratulations, you made it.

M: the mouth-feel really is amazing, it's a ghost of a mouth. It's there but it's not, the liquid hovers in your mouth with lightness that contrasts the prominence of the flavors. It coats your mouth without entering that "medicinal" realm that so many beers do. What form of black magic is this?

O: This beer is incredible, but I have to admit the flavor was a bit unexpected from the smells I was getting. I can't say it was a let down, I just had a completely different picture than what I ended up with. That said, this is a must try. This beer begs to be your session brew of choice. The beer pairs amazingly with beach sunsets, citrus orchards, and in the licking light of camp fires. Another IPA to make California proud. One of the best single IPA's you can put your lips to.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep, clear amber with a big creamy off-white that shows excellent retention and leaves good lacing as well.

The aroma is excellent with lots of pithy grapefruit, oranges and pineapple with some resinous floral hops as well. Doughy bread whiffs as well. Big and juicy aroma overall.

The taste follows the aroma closely with lots of citrus hops up front. There does seem to be a more prevalent floral hop presence, especially in the finish with a sticky resinous pine flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation but much, much smoother than I was expecting. The hops are definitely there is not nearly the bitterness I was expecting.

This is my first beer from Kern river and it's quite an introduction. This is an outstanding IPA, extremely drinkable with a massive but not scathingly bitter hop presence. Highly impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to MrTopher for this little extra; I really appreciate how you made sure I got this one in its freshest state! You really do know my style, man! Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A: Cloudy orange/peach color. Thick white head (2-fingers) that retains for a long time, eventually thinning down but leaving excellent thick lacing.

N: Ruby red grapefruit and piny resin.

T/M: Creamy body with sweet malty-ness that melds well with sweet citric hops. Smooth, crisp, and very drinkable. A wonderful surprise! As the name implies, this is just one outstanding IPA!

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Bomber into an Allagash tulip.

A: Pours a really nice honey amber color, a bit cloudy with a nice big billowy cloud like head, a little too much head really and that was with a slow pour.

S: Has a really nice marmalade aroma with lots of hops behind it, really inviting and pleasant.

T: Nice big hop flavors that are balanced really well with some citrus and pine flavors, nice marmalade flavors that match the nose well.

M: Nice and big, perfect level of carbonation, goes down really smoothly.

Verdict: Really nice IPA from Kern River, one of the best IPAs out of Southern California which is pretty much home most of the best IPAs in the world.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter

A- Very nice 2 fingers off white head, well carbonated, golden brown appearance, very clear slightly orange, great lacing and retention.
S- Awesome aroma very hoppy, citrus, pine, peaches, grapefruits, slight mango aroma, hints of malts as well, amazing smelling beer.
T- Wow great tasting IPA. Everything you could want in a hoppy delicious brew. Sweet and bitter at the same time well balanced, malts are present to balance the hoppiness, one of the best tasting IPAs I’ve had. Although the hops are definitely present along with grapefruit, citrus, peach, and mango, hints of lemons, it is not overpowering, very easy drinkability.
M- Medium mouth feel, well carbonated, dries the mouth.
O- Amazing beer had high expectations and my expectations were met, delicious, hop forward beer that is very balanced. Very fruity and delicious, easy drinkability, only wish I had access to this beer on a regular basis.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed a pint at O'Brien's Pub earlier today for maybe around $5.00.

Beer was served orange with a nice solid white head that left lacing behind as i sipped.

Nose was very pungent floral hops that did not fade.

Taste was tropical, orange and a hint of mango, with a solid caramel/pale malt base that was fairly balanced for the style. Some pine in the background but not resinous.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, perhaps due to mild carbonation.

Drinkability was quite good. This was a very good representation of the west coast ipa style. I may have to go back to Whole Foods to bring a bottle back to Arizona!

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Shared at my tasting on August 7, 2010.

A: This beer appears a slightly hazy shade of yellow. There is a small head that leaves just a touch of lacing on the glass.

S: The aromas are wonderful citrus, mostly grapefruit. Hooray hops!

T: A wonderful beer, and what I look for in an IPA. Citrus fruits with a pleasant, hoppy bitterness make this such an enjoyable beverage. Between this and Citra, Kern is 2 for 2 in the IPA department, as far as I see it.

M: A really nice feel. Bitterness from the hops without any astringency. Alcohol hidden well behind the bouquet.

D: Wonderfully drinkable. What a nice way to kick off the tasting.

Thanks Geoi!

Pours a hazy, orange with a killer, fluffy head.

Tons of citrus in the nose... grapefruit, pineapple, mango, pine.

Same in the taste... just delicious! Similar to Oracle, but not quite in the same league.

Good carbonation and medium-bodied. Drinkable as all get out. Kern River is 2-2 with me! This is a hoppy, juicy, leaves-you-wanting-more brew!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bronze orange in color, with a slight chill haze.
thick 3 fingers of near white head, with slight tint of cream
aroma of cornbread, orange taffy, bright piney notes. As it opens up, I get some nice tropical fruit whiffs with a side of honeydew. Nice pop of pine up front. Pretzel bready with crisp pine bitterness. Bitter in the back more than anywhere else. Tart grapefruit, somewhat thin in the body, but OK for a beer with complex hop flavor as with this one.

Wonderful webbed lacing, moon crater froth.

Just outstanding- perfect name. Very smooth, easy, packed with flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As I sit here thinking of my dad on fathers day Im enjoying a beer from Kern River that I can say is tied with Sculpin as my favorite IPA.

Appearance: Has a dark, orange hazy color to it. A pure white inch head appears after the pour and the bubbles continue to surface during the whole drink. Great lacing as well.

Smell: Well I have to say this smells like tropical fruit crushed in the glass. Lots of tangerine and orange rind followed by mango and pineapple slightly. A liitle Carmel malt in the smell as well. Kern really knows how to do the ipa category I love.

Taste: This is definitely more balanced than Sculpin. Has a very fruity flavor followed by a nice little Carmel malt backbone. I love the real orange flavor that comes through from the Amarillo hops. One hell of a great beer.

Mouthfeel: tons of carbonation to deliver the awesome favors this ipa has. Kern - you really know what your doing.

Overall: I first want to thank Kyle for making two beers that I love so much. You reallly have the brewing process of ipa's down. This beer is tropical, fruity goodness with just the right amount of malt. A great beer I am thankful to have and drink on this fathers day. Thanks again Kern River. I will be up there as soon as the bottles of Citra come off the line.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

served in bottle, I've had many times, finally decided to review it.
A - poured a very glowing yellow. very radiant. Look alone makes it appetizing
S - piny with a hint of citrus
T - outstanding, great flavors melding well together. Citrus and hops play well together with the slight taste of pine on the end.
M - very drinkable, eashy to hold and dissect tastes in the mouth.
O - Outstanding, will seek this beer out many times in the future. Overall one of my favorites. Would like to try more beer from this brewery.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Wow, beautiful. Deep amber with almost no haze, and a very appropriate 1 finger head. Lacing is thick and elegant. Sometimes I have a hard time judging appearances of beers, but this one was easy.

S: Like aromatherapy: flowers, pine, and some deep fruity sweetness. Smells absolutely delicious, going to jump into the taste.

T: No bite, all kisses. The slightest of bitterness adds a slight tenseness to the beginning of the taste, but runs over your mouth with beautifully crafted malt sweetness and traces of what was in the nose. Taste goes away almost completely after a short while. Only complaint I'd have is that more of the nose didn't come out in the taste; let me down a little when the smell was just so damn good.

M: The carbonation fits the taste so well somehow. Very smooth and crisp, and while the flavor disappears the beer leaves your entire mouth in a happy in relaxed state.

O: I'd be damn proud if I was behind this beer, and I think Kern River should be too. An excellent IPA, the only weakness I can think of is the lack of glory in the flavor when everything else was so extravagant.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle provided by Spycow, thanks Chris. Drank from my Narke tulip...A very dark ipa, a warm bright but dark colored copper with a light top head. Very fluffy, lots of retention and lacing...A light but nice aroma, wish it was a tad stronger though. Pretty sweet light caramel, sweet citrus and flowers on the back, not strong ipa hops at all...A lighter taste as well but its pleasant. Flavorful and super easy to drink. The front is light caramel, the citrus is gone. The back is a very smooth light pine resin...A very full mouthfeel with a lasting feel and taste.

A light but well above average ipa.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to pretzelcity for including this in the Support Your Team BIF.

Appearance: This is a very elegant pour; a tangerine copper color with a marshmallow white head. Nice retention and sticky lace all over the glass.

Smell: A blast of of amarillo and simcoe hops as the bottle opens - what I would expect since they dry hopped with those hops. Soft caramel malt, sticky pine, and grapefruit bitterness, in that order. A floral aroma hangs around as well.

Taste: It does manage to start out sweet, with a good amount of caramel malt. A blast of citrus next, grapefruit and apricot hops, followed by a blast of floral hops, and finally some cooling pine to finish. A slight touch of alcohol warms my stomach, and the finish is a bitter pine.

Mouthfeel: It is slightly sticky, and each sip leaves a bit of hop oil residue on the tongue. Fully carbonated in a creamy style, with a pleasantly full body.

Drinkability: When this is available, I will grab for it. A great IPA clocking in at 6.8%.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler with Team D(r)INK on 5/1/10.

A - Poured a clear, light amber/orange body with golden tones and a hefty cap of white froth on top that receded into a thin patch and produced an elaborate canopy of sticky lacing.

S - Pretty dank, weed-like aroma akin to hemp. Lots of leafy green hops in there with just a hint of sweet malt. There are also some perfumy notes reminiscent of patchouli oil.

T - First toke... er, sip... reveals a leafy hop character eerily similar to the sweetleaf. Malt character is pretty sweet as well. Finishes with a hint of citrus hops, which provides a slight deviation from the dankness of this IPA.

M - Medium bodied with a sllick, oily texture and light carbonation. Finish is quite dry and bitter on the palate.

D - Hippies rejoice! This is liquid weed, or at least it seems to be (never smoked it... honest... but I saw scores of rock and metal concerts, so I am familiar with the smell). Really aromatic, dank and tasty hop-forward IPA that I enjoyed more than the Citra DIPA.

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a nice IPA. It's a nice subtle IPA with no gimmicks. It has a nice, and slight malt character. With a nice bitterness that finishes in the back. This was a simple but good IPA. Nice tropical fruit, and slight mango in the end.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Served in a Duvel Tulip. Thanks Kyle2k10!

Lingering 1-1/2 finger cream head atop a semi translucent orange yellow body. Lots of sticky lacing left on the glass. Only loses points for clarity.

Aromas of fresh picked pine needles, tart tangerines and grapefruit. More fruity and floral than piney. Some Simcoe and Amarillo in there.

The taste is even more smooth than Russian River Blind Pig, which I just had prior to this beer. No harsh bitterness here whatsoever. A complete balanced flavor profile of tangerine and grapefruit with more pine and some caramel on the tail end. Very fresh and delicious. I want this recipe! I envision West Coast pine needles being mashed with a mortar and pestle along with tons of tangerine & pink grapefruit segments and then drizzled with caramel.

Moderately low carbonation. Addictive mouthfeel. Soft and lush. If I died today and had to pick two hoppy beers to drink before my last couple hours, I would alternate between sipping Just Outstanding (more citrusy) and Pliny the Elder (more piney). These are two similar, simplistic beers and they both deliver.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Posted hard into my globe got a ton of head. On multiple repours I limited the head.

Smells great hop forward with citrus mango and pine

Taste is again hop forward with the citrus and mango playing well.

Mouhfeel is great for the style.

Overall will buy again.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to moosington for the bottle.

Just Outstanding is an interesting color that lies somewhere between copper and orange. It's slightly hazy and looks distinctly orange when held to light. A light, cream colored head sits on top. It stands about two and a half fingers tall and is slow to dissipate. Sheets of thick, sticky lace line the glass.

The nose is simply excellent. It's absolutely loaded with hops. Hop aromatics are absolutely rolling out of the glass. Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange scents dominate. A few more whiffs reveal a healthy dose of pine and some light floral scents. Kern River nailed the hop bill with this one. I'm not getting much in terms of malts, which is a good thing. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. Just Outstanding is tremendous smelling beer.

The flavor is likewise excellent. Citric flavors of grapefruit and pineapple attack the palate first. Hop flavor is in no short supply. Pine and light floral flavors complement the citrus flavors nicely. It's very bitter and dry. I like it. Pale malts seem to be the only noticeable malt. They don't exactly provide much balance, which is all for the better in my view. Just Outstanding is aggressively hoppy and bitter. Perfect formula for an IPA. Alcohol is never a factor. It finishes bitter and dry.

Just Outstanding has a body that's on the very light side of medium. Carbonation seems light and restrained. It's smooth, but needs more body to achieve a creamier feel. Drinkability is very high. This is delicious beer that goes down like a dream. It's not intimidating weighing in at sub 7%. I could handle a bomber or two. It's that good.

I'm not familiar with Kern River Brewing Company. The name is new to me. If their other beers are this good, we're all in for a real treat. Just Outstanding IPA is flat-out excellent. I prefer hoppy IPAs that blister the palate with no remorse. Just Outstanding falls into that category. There's nothing balanced or timid about it. Just loads of hop flavor that pounds you into submission. I'm really impressed. Highly recommended. Thanks, Mark. This was a real treat.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks to ramnuts for sharing this wonderful IPA with me by way of arbitrator. Another review under the same circumstances is forth coming.

Bomber poured into a pint glass. The body itself is yellow pine orange with a light beige head that manages to maintain a wispy cap. The copious lacing after the drink is quite extraordinary. This is a fantastic looking beer so far.

The smell is all lemon zest, honey tangelos, and sweet candy orange slices.

Sometimes the aroma of a beer is so overwhelming the taste can't measure up. That isn't the case here. Lemon meat is the big citrus flavor here. Some grapefruit pith makes an appearance as well but the lemon stars first and foremost. Its also lightly herbal with very light malt.

Thin and moderately carbonated, this finishes clean. My lightly sticky lips let me know a good amount of hop oils are in this. This is an extremely solid beer. I will certainly be getting a hold of another one of these when I get the chance.

Just Outstanding IPA from Kern River Brewing Company