Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

good

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros
mkotsayfan

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark amber/orange color with plenty of head. The aroma has a lot of pine notes, along with the strong citrus hops. The taste is just as good, very balanced with lots of bitterness. The citrus and fruit notes are present, and the malt balances on the back end. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with good carbonation.

This is one heck of an IPA, I've wanted to try a Kern River beer and this is my first one. I'm very impressed and will have to find more.

10-15-2011 02:28:11 | More by mkotsayfan
kevanb

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Bomber into an Allagash tulip.

A: Pours a really nice honey amber color, a bit cloudy with a nice big billowy cloud like head, a little too much head really and that was with a slow pour.

S: Has a really nice marmalade aroma with lots of hops behind it, really inviting and pleasant.

T: Nice big hop flavors that are balanced really well with some citrus and pine flavors, nice marmalade flavors that match the nose well.

M: Nice and big, perfect level of carbonation, goes down really smoothly.

Verdict: Really nice IPA from Kern River, one of the best IPAs out of Southern California which is pretty much home most of the best IPAs in the world.

10-13-2011 04:32:32 | More by kevanb
flannelman808

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Clear amber with a ruby hue and topped with a generous off white pancake batter head. Good retention and great lacing.

S: The proverbial forest floor and bitter orange pith.

T: Citrus bitterness tickles the tongue up front and smooths over with a bitter dried pine needle quality. The light bodied nature of this beer does not allow for much malt expression, which frankly I'm all for. Good quick and dry finishing.

M: Carbonic prickle

O: This is a pretty darn good beer. As light bodied IPA's go this is probably in the top 20.

10-11-2011 23:40:41 | More by flannelman808
CruisaC

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Picked up from Keg N' Bottle in Santa Barbara area, CA.

22 oz bottle poured into my Rodenbach snifter

Pours a pretty honey-orange color, slightly cloudy. An inch of golden head forms

Smells pine needles, orange peel, mild grass, very refreshing

Tastes very crisp with hops forward, citrus (grapefruit), just a touch of sweetness on the back end, but definitely not dominating. The hops are the star here but don't leave much bitterness.

Great balance with carbonation and silky mouthfeel.

Wonderful IPA, glad to pick it up. Maybe not Citra, but a great introduction to Kern River.

09-21-2011 00:32:44 | More by CruisaC
schwaeh

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This is my second bottle, it sort of fell into my lap at a Jackie O's release by a generous Cali BA. Thanks whoever you are! Shared with others...

A: Pours a transparent golden with a massive frothy white head. Great lacing, this looks really nice.

S: Lots of orange and mango on the nose, very smooth citrus is bursting from this. Some malts and a mineral aroma are detectable behind all the fruit. We finally figured out passion fruit is also a large part of this. This smells fantastic.

T: Orange is a very big player in the taste here. Pine actually makes a sizable appearance in the taste, I didn't notice this in the aroma but it is definitely competing with the fruit. Not overly bitter, just bursting with tropical fruits and flavor.

M: Medium body and a resinous mouthfeel. There is a nice oiliness from the hops.

O: I couldn't have thought of a better name if I was Kern. This is amazing stuff that I would buy regularly, given the chance. Not many flaws with this stuff.

09-18-2011 20:02:47 | More by schwaeh
MbpBugeye

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Big thanks to Schwaeh for opening this beer at InebriatedJoker's house.

Appearance
This is already exciting. The beer is a nice clear, bright orange. The bottom of the bottle provides a little bit of haze. There is a lot of sticky, white webbing of lace.

Aroma
This is hands down, one of the best smelling beers I've ever happened across. Just Outstanding solidifies the claim that IPAs are the best smelling style of beer. This stuff is LOADED to the brim with juicy tangerine, and I mean EASILY identifiable tangerine juice. Lots of juicy pith. More tropical stuff comes out easily; pineapple is huge as is mango. This stuff is so fruity, fresh and perfect.

Taste
It can only go down hill from the aroma, so I was prepared. Thankfully I wasn't as let down with the taste as I expected to be. There is a lot of pine here, something that evaded attention in the aroma. In fact, pine leads here. Citrus is there in effect, but is more bitter and rindy than the aroma suggested. The center is still very juicy, but this mouthwatering tropical fruit center breaks, giving way to a piny, bittering finish only quelled by plenty of tangerine pith.

Mouthfeel
Very dry and very resinous. The hop oils just stick to everything they touch. This stuff seems bigger than it is and is certainly WAY more packed with hops than any other standard IPA.

Overall
Wow, just wow. An incredible beer. Give this, blinded, to any hop head and they'll think its an Imperial IPA. I really need more of this stuff. Its only fitting that Mike should have spilled his whole glass all over the table.

09-06-2011 03:12:21 | More by MbpBugeye
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle poured into a balloon tulip (Thanks Vitese!)

A: Pours golden orange with a massive 3 finger head, white and extremely tight with great retention. I could have flown to Paris and back and the head would still be standing tall. Leaves a ton of lacing.

S: Tons of simcoe: Grapefruit, pine, tangerine, and slight dank herbal quality. I get a little caramel malt and just a hint of alcohol.

T: Fairly soft hop character presents itself: restrained grapefruit, tangerine, floral notes, little bit of herbal dankness, pine in the background. The pine bitterness builds to a moderately bitter finish. Moderate amount of caramel sweetness to add a little candy fruit hop flavor but without being like a barelywine. Pleasant bitterness/slight astringency (in a good way) through the finish. Fairly dry.

M: Medium body, moderate to maybe very slightly high carbonation. Very fine carbonation. Fairly resinous and sticky, though smooth enough to make it extremely drinkable. Clean and bitter finish.

O: I'd agree with the label, this is just an outstanding IPA. Not too bitter, not too sweet, not to phenolic, just in the sweet spot across the board. I really wish I had something like like this, it would always be in my fridge.

09-05-2011 23:44:52 | More by Satchboogie
jcartamdg

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a pale orange yet slightly hazy appearance into my ccb pint glass. Aroma of tasty citric hops and some malts to balance. Taste follows the nose decent carbonation, smooth and easy drinking. . Moderately bitter yet refreshing. Not a bad everyday ipa. I'm sold!

09-05-2011 03:04:55 | More by jcartamdg
spdyfire83

Ireland

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

11th review on BA
Bottle into De Struise Brouwers tulip-snifter.
Thanks vurt for this awesome extra!

A: Burnt orange - this just looks like a very tasty beer. 1.0 finger nail head on gentle pour.

S: Great hop character with delightful hint of citrus fruit and hint of pine.

T: Fruit, citrus, hops, pine - all very smooth front to back and very tasty. Most enjoyable!

M: Crisp and tasty! Very enjoyable IPA that is easy to drink.

O: Excellent beer! Super stoked to get this as an extra and I'd love to try many more of the Kern River beers. Overall, a very easy drink, smooth, and tasty IPA. I'd definitely like to have more access to this.

08-31-2011 04:12:18 | More by spdyfire83
sendsilk

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Decided to open this tonight. Received last week in a trade last week from Leschkie. Thanks Kurtis! I have been wanting to try this one for a while now.

A- Nice dark burnt orange. Beautiful lacing on the glass....screw this let's move on.

S- Wonderful aroma. Aromatic pine and citrus hops smells nicely balanced.

T- Fantastic! I am so glad that this is everything I hoped it would be. Sharp bitter hops well rounded by perfect malt profile and citrus overpowering the pine taste to really shine. Outstanding is right guys!

M- Perfect for the style.

O- There's not much you could do to improve this beer. Glad I was able to try it, it's wonderful.

08-30-2011 23:16:28 | More by sendsilk
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Big thanks goes out to whitebricke for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Second brew of the night during my first night staying at my new place! Served from bottle into Bell's tulip. Poured orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, floral, and subtle caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, floral, citrus, citrus hop, floral hop, subtle caramel hop, orange, and orange zest. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma on this one was quite pleasant and complex which really made bringing my nose up to it quite enjoyable. The flavor was really nice as well. There were a lot of different hop profiles going on in this one that I had not experienced in one beer at the same time. Definitely a must try if you get the chance.

08-30-2011 17:42:57 | More by thagr81us
jm1229

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Preface: I love this beer. I've had it before, but now it's time to review it.

Opened on 8/28 as my last beer before I go back to NY for school. Served at 55 degrees and poured into my Samuel Smith imperial pint glass.

A- Gentle pour yields lots of foamy white head. Thick and sticks to the glass. Tastes like whipped cream. The beer is golden.

S- Lots of citrus. Pineapple, mango, pine, orange. Oh, so fruity.

T- Follows the nose, but has a malt balance so you can drink it nonstop. Has an amazing lingering aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied and nice carbonation. Tastes like you're drinking a beer's beer, if you know what I mean.

O- It's amazing, really. It's just...amazing. No, I wasn't going to say "Just Outstanding" because that's tacky, but I'd go on record saying that along with Nelson from Alpine, it's the best single IPA on the market. Great beer.

08-29-2011 09:47:38 | More by jm1229
Janderson91

Alabama

Big thanks to stupac2 for hooking me up with this Want! No freshness info. Enjoyed on 08/26/11.

A - Pours a hazy amber/gold color with a good 1.5 finger just off-white head. Leaves good lacing with large bubbles.

S - Very citrusy aroma with some tropical fruitiness as well. Some nutty, sweet malts in there as well.

T - The taste is great, it just seems a little muted. Very balanced up front with some citrusy bitterness and the bready malts. Toward the back, the hoppiness becomes very grapefruit-like. Finish is one again balanced with the buscuity malts and citrusy bitterness.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty good. Medium bodied with pretty high carbonation.

O - Overall, this is an excellent beer. Just wish it was a little more flavorful. Can't wait to compare it to Citra.

08-26-2011 23:20:14 | More by Janderson91
nrbw23

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a medium dark honey color with a huge frothy cream colored head. Head has very solid retention and leaves some really nice layered lacing.

S- Getting smacked in the face with quite a bit of pine. Quite a bit of tropical fruits mainly orange with also a very nice sweet malt back bone.

T- Taste follows the nose really well. Pine is up and front with a good amount of tropical fruit. A sweet malt back bone tries to balance things out but is just for show.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation.

O- This brew really lives up to its name and is well worth it. Very easy to drink.

08-20-2011 07:46:10 | More by nrbw23
amphion1065

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Bomber into an Alpine pint glass. Thanks for this extra mashmaster.

Pours a hazy orange, though I can see my finger through the glass. A perfect one-finger white head with tight bubbles lasts like a layer of fresh snow. Upon refilling my glass, stiff meringue-like peaks form.

Unadulterated mangoes and papayas in the nose. This smells like a blended Dole fruit juice, one of those Strawberry-Banana-Orange mixes. Possibly the purest fruit aromas I've gotten out of an IPA.

Many organic markets and co-ops across the county sell mango juice in oddly-shaped glass containers. They’re usually prohibitively expensive, but on the rare occasions that I’ve been able to sample them I’ve quite enjoyed the sweet juice within. Just Outstanding is almost like drinking that mango juice. Actually, the first sip is like biting into a fresh mango. The hop profile of this beer is so crisp, so clean, it’s nearly perfect. Some slight bitterness in the back end, but it's mostly just sweet like candy.

Crisp, perfect carbonation. Thin, but with enough body to carry all of the flavors through. To call this drinkable would be a terrible understatement.

Holy St. John de Crèvecœur, this is what the West is all about. A beer that showcases both the natural bounty of the Pacific and the brewing excellence of Kern River. This is a serious contender for the best IPA I've ever had. I'm not sure how the flavors of this beer could be improved upon. I could see myself drinking this every day, forever and ever.

08-19-2011 04:39:00 | More by amphion1065
unitmonster

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap 7/31 @ KRBC. Filled two growlers and brought them back to OC for the next week.

A - Golden, pale IPA with a decent head.

S - There is a lot going on here. TONS of citrus, pine, and a few of my friends picked up strawberry.

T - Great citrus and fruit taste with a balance of hops and malt. You can seriously drink this stuff all day and not get tired of it.

M - Light, perfectly carbonated. Really good body to this beer.

O - This is one of my favorite IPAs. As of last month, I rank this higher than Blind Pig or any other widely available IPAs. KRBC is really kicking the crap out of other peoples IPAs/DIPAs.

08-16-2011 18:55:06 | More by unitmonster
Palesmith

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

I had this for the first time on tap at the Kern River brewpub and I HIGHLY recommend going there for some good food and great beers (and while you're there do some river rafting, It's a blast!).

For the purposes of this review I'm drinking it from the bomber I got at Valley Farm Market in Spring Valley, CA.

First off, this is a fantastic west coast IPA. I find it to be similar to Sculpin IPA in appearance and taste. It poors a golden amber color and has a nice creamy two-finger head in my New Belgium globe.

The smell is citrus and pine in a very soft way.

The taste is as the smell with a sweet malt balance that adds a tropical, mango flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly dry because of the pine notes and nice amount of carbonation.

Kern River's beers are, unfortunately, not widely distributed, but I would encourage any IPA fan to keep an eye out for this one! (and any beer fan to look for all their great brews).

08-16-2011 03:21:35 | More by Palesmith
cbeer88

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Trade extra courtesy of vurt - thanks!

Appearance: 3/4 of the bomber was moderately poured into the tulip, leaving a full 3 fingers of fluffy bubbly white head. This is probably the nicest looking head I've ever seen in this glass besides the beer it was intended for. Body color is dark orange. Absolutely fantastic lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hop smell. Rather mild on the aroma, but enough to be there.

Taste: A nice slight juicy sweet citrus flavor up front, but the malt body and bitter bite take over on the backend. Perfectly balanced. A slightly higher than I'd like alcohol taste is the only thing that keeps this from a perfect 5 for me, though at 6.8% we're nearing DIPA territory, so I'm not surprised.

Mouthfeel: Clean and crisp, carb is perfect. Dry and medium bodied. Right on point for the style.

Drinkability: High. I'll easily polish off the bomber and could probably do a second if I had one.

Overall: Fantastic IPA. I guess it's pretty ho-hum for the west coasters, but this is as good as any IPA I can pick up on the shelves around here. My first (and likely not last) beer from Kern River, and a great impression. Would be a regular in my fridge if I could get it locally.

08-12-2011 00:30:36 | More by cbeer88
tripelhops

Missouri

poured from a bottle into a Tulip glass, color is a beautiful orange-copper, typical of an IPA, with a decent tan head that drops quickly but leaves quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is very nice, smells of cirtus and a dash of pine. Not quite as strong as I was expecting but good none the less. the taste was also very good, nice bitterness, some sweetness and the cirtus hops. Overall a very solid IPA.

08-09-2011 01:57:48 | More by tripelhops
IdrinkGas

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

From a bomber into a snifter.
Pours a hazy brownish gold color. Huge creamy off white head. Produced some nice lacing.
Tropical fruit, piney & floral hops in the nose. An aroma of pineapple juice stands out the most.
Taste is bitter but there is enough malt presence to back up the hops. Resinous pine and grapefruit immediately with malt balancing out the finish.
Carbonation is just how I like it. On the higher side. Bigger beer than I expected.

Above average IPA for sure. Makes me want to try Kern River Citra even more.

08-06-2011 06:30:43 | More by IdrinkGas
aficionado

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Served in a Duvel Tulip. Thanks Kyle2k10!

Lingering 1-1/2 finger cream head atop a semi translucent orange yellow body. Lots of sticky lacing left on the glass. Only loses points for clarity.

Aromas of fresh picked pine needles, tart tangerines and grapefruit. More fruity and floral than piney. Some Simcoe and Amarillo in there.

The taste is even more smooth than Russian River Blind Pig, which I just had prior to this beer. No harsh bitterness here whatsoever. A complete balanced flavor profile of tangerine and grapefruit with more pine and some caramel on the tail end. Very fresh and delicious. I want this recipe! I envision West Coast pine needles being mashed with a mortar and pestle along with tons of tangerine & pink grapefruit segments and then drizzled with caramel.

Moderately low carbonation. Addictive mouthfeel. Soft and lush. If I died today and had to pick two hoppy beers to drink before my last couple hours, I would alternate between sipping Just Outstanding (more citrusy) and Pliny the Elder (more piney). These are two similar, simplistic beers and they both deliver.

08-05-2011 21:44:54 | More by aficionado
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%

Tulip glass.

A: Pours golden with about a finger of off-white foam, pretty good retention and some lacing.

S: Floral, fresh cut grass, tangerine, caramel malt.

T: Like biting into a juicy pink grapefruit, a little spice, citrus, light bitter and caramel malt finish.

M: Somehow soft, unlike a lot of IPAs which have a harsh (not the right word) texture. Creamy. Medium-light body and carbonation works very well here.

O: Top class and citrus forward IPA. Extremely drinkable.

08-01-2011 05:15:43 | More by pmarlowe
phiberoptik

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks for the tasting. Not sure who's bottle this was...

Pours a clean and clear coppery-orange with a nice ring of white foam.

Smells of nice big amarillos right up front, a light caramel middle, and a tinge of alcohol.

Tastes of floral hops as well as some citrus notes. Some faint caramel in the middle from the malts, and a nice bitter finish.

Light body with rather low carbonation on the tongue.

This was tasty and smells pretty awesome. Another of a long list of IPAs to enjoy.

07-31-2011 16:42:51 | More by phiberoptik
ColdPoncho

From notes, 7-30-2011

A - golden copper body, mostly clear, and a whiteish ring of foam

S - nice light but present hops, tropical fruit, nice complexity

T - subtle grapefruit hops, somewhat earthy

M - dry, medium bodied

O - a very nice IPA, but I wish the hops were a bit more present. Seems a bit more like an APA to me.

07-31-2011 14:17:27 | More by ColdPoncho
wagenvolks

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz bottle into a Delirium tremens goblet. Thanks to DarthKostrizer for the trade.

Great pour, some might call it 'outstanding', with a vibrant tangerine body and a towering tuft of eggshell-white foam. Excellent retention, and the lacing is decent enough. The aroma bursts with sugar-coated orange slices and grapefruit peel. Quite floral and rich in minerals, too; the balance is just right for the style.

Bitterness is where it should be--big enough to let you know this is an IPA you're drinking, and not so strong as to overpower the delicate hop and malt flavors. Hint of phenols in the background. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, medium-thin in body, and equal parts crisp and juicy. Everything a West Coast IPA should be. Solid beer...

07-29-2011 02:30:47 | More by wagenvolks