Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

good

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 430 | Hads: 1,177
4.19/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks Damian for hooking me up with the KRCB line-up.

A: Pours a dark honey orange, borderline amber color with just some faint haziness. A nice bright white head that slowly died down to a faint film. Good lacing.

S: Bright citrus and piney hop smells jump out of the glass. Also get some peach or mango flavors. Very limited malty presence on the smell.

T: Citrus, pineapple, peach, and piney hop flavors continue from the smell. Some very faint butter flavors are the only detractor. Faint biscuity flavors come through mid-taste to balance (sort of) out the hops. Finishes with a pleasant bitterness that lingers nicely in the mouth.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation. Decent mouth feel inline with style.

D: This is a really nice hop-forward IPA that delivers on the IBUs without becoming overly bitter. And for the price ($3.99 marked on the 22oz bottle), this is an excellent example of just how good a reasonably priced IPA can be. Would have no issue trading for this again. (1,036 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

My dad just shot me a bottle and man do I have to say I am impressed with what Kern River is doing. I went into this one with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Poured a cloudy bright copper hue with a two finger high eggshell colored head that had some nice hang time. very clingy lacing left on the glass the whole way down. This was a very nice looking brew in my Duvel tulip.

Aromas just blew me away. All the hop scents are there. Nice fruity pineapple aromas, piney and grassy tones, with some floral notes mixed in. Almost perfect and very enticing.

Taste is an extremely smooth crisp dry IPA. Hops are the dominate flavor but they don't overpower and attack the taste buds. Very clean piney bitter notes up front, with a citrusy finish.

Very smooth on the palate. Medium bodied and creamy. I have found a new favorite go to IPA. (852 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Maui Brewing Co. pint glass

A: A beautiful orange-golden-copper hue body that trapped in by a massive white colored head. The cobweb-like lacing was beautiful.

S: Orange, pine, grapefruit, peach and perhaps even a touch of lemon. The malt doesn't come through particularly strong, but does add some balance to the variety of hop aromas.

T: An extremely well balanced IPA that offers a light and sweet malt body, along with tons of hop flavor complexity. It has the hop kick of Stone IPA, with flavor and elegance of Ballast Point's Sculpin.

M: Light on the palate with a touch of dryness after each sip.

D: I'm truly impressed! The combination of flavor, balance and refreshment is superb.

Overall: Should I be corny and say this beer is "Just Outstanding"? Well, I won't...but I will say it goes beyond the title it was given. Perhaps the best DIPA/IPA from a bottle I've had in long time and I expect this beer to gain more notoriety as time goes on. A must try. Cheers! (1,018 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Wow, beautiful. Deep amber with almost no haze, and a very appropriate 1 finger head. Lacing is thick and elegant. Sometimes I have a hard time judging appearances of beers, but this one was easy.

S: Like aromatherapy: flowers, pine, and some deep fruity sweetness. Smells absolutely delicious, going to jump into the taste.

T: No bite, all kisses. The slightest of bitterness adds a slight tenseness to the beginning of the taste, but runs over your mouth with beautifully crafted malt sweetness and traces of what was in the nose. Taste goes away almost completely after a short while. Only complaint I'd have is that more of the nose didn't come out in the taste; let me down a little when the smell was just so damn good.

M: The carbonation fits the taste so well somehow. Very smooth and crisp, and while the flavor disappears the beer leaves your entire mouth in a happy in relaxed state.

O: I'd be damn proud if I was behind this beer, and I think Kern River should be too. An excellent IPA, the only weakness I can think of is the lack of glory in the flavor when everything else was so extravagant. (1,143 characters)

A - Pours a nice golden/amber hue with a rich creamy two finger head. Looks very inviting.

S - nice west coast citrus hop profile, but the aroma is a bit muted. Not the hop blast was hoping for. A bit of malt in the background, but mostly hops dominate here.

T - tasty citrus/tropical/a bit of pine here. While tasty, it is a bit muted like the smell. I was looking for more of a hop blast again.

M - Nice thick and creamy mouthfeel. Coat nicely and reminds me of the thickness of Pliny.

Overall this is a tasty, hop forward IPA that falls short of being excellent (or outsanding in this case). I'm happy to have tried it but there are much better IPAs to be had. (669 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass. Enjoyed this for IPA Day (8/7/2014). I've had this many many times due to its easy accessibility.

Appearance: pours a lucious golden orange with a two finger+ off white head. Sticky lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: big citrus, tropical fruit and grapefruit notes. This is the very definition of juicy.

Taste/mouthfeel: it says it on the bottle. Just Outstanding! The front has those big juicy tropical notes. The middle has a touch of pine, but a touch only. The finish showcases the wonderful balanced maltiness with a bit of a citrusy sweetness. Nice full mouthfeel.

Overall: This is my go to IPA and is KRBC's flagship for good reason. Nothing but outstanding things to say. (742 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a 6 oz goblet (several refills are coming.). It forms a one finger head, nice lacing, very hazy, lovely! The aroma is a heady biting ruby grapefruit, not an ordinary yellow grapefruit. The flavor is a Lyle sweet and malt at first, then strong grapefruit citrus hops, with a hint of sweet mangoes. The grapefruit aroma goes up into the nose and sinuses. The mouthfeel is a bit foamy. Overall an outstanding IPA, with a unique character. (461 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Cheers to solomon420 for this brew in a trade. Amber in color. Thin head which settles to no head. Big nose of citrus and piney hops. Taste is dominated by the bitter grapefruit-like hop profile. Mouthfeel is a bit dry but still drinkable. My 1st beer from this brewery & it was a good one if you are a hop-head.

Cheers. (321 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours with very little head. Clear light golden color

S: Lots of grapefruit smell, resiny smell.

T: Grapefruit hops punch my taste buds. Lot and lots of hops. Not much malt backbone. The hops definitely push the limit. Almost to the nail polish/acetone level.

M: Lots of carbonatin up front. Soft light/resiny feel coats my mouth.

O: This IPA pushes the limit and holds the line. Great, great, great IPA. Look forward to many more. Great price point too. (462 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(A) Pours a deep orange that is clean and clear. Careful to not get any of the massive amount of sediment that was at the bottom of the bottle. There was a lot. Produced a half inch white foamy head. Left lacing on the glass.

(S) A ton of grapefruit and white grapes. Hops were present but not nearly anything against the light fruits. Some pale malt seemed to make it through.

(T) A lot like the nose. There was a boatload of grapefruit mixed in with citric rind and light fruits. Hops get you at the end with a bit of caramel malt.

(M) Bit on the carbonated side. Had some bite to it. Slightly grainy and bitter.

(O) I wish this was a bit better balanced. I feel it was off center and had way too much white fruit aspects to it. The grapefruit flavor from the hops was a bit overwhelming. (794 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: Slightly cloudy gold color with a bronze hue. The beer has a modest-sized white head that slowly faded to a small head that stuck around.

Smell: Piney hop aromas feature prominently with some grassy and citrus notes.

Taste: The pine aromas an carry over and feature in the taste followed by the grassy and citrus notes. The beer finish fairly dry with the pine notes first followed by the grassy/hay notes.

Mouth-feel: On the light side of medium bodied with a modest level of carbonation.

Overall: Good IPA that is not overly bitter but flavorful and nicely balanced. (586 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours clear golden orange with an impressive frothy white head. Good lacing.

S: Lots of orange and mango on the nose, very smooth citrus is busting out of this one. Some toffee malts aroma are detectable behind all the fruit. Exotic citrus in their too, starfruit or something along those lines. Great aroma.

T: Orange and apricot is hits right up front. Some lighter piney notes in there as well. Not a "bitter" IPA, but busting with juicy hops. Nice light malty backbone as well.

M: Medium body and a resinous mouthfeel. There is a nice oiliness from the hops.

O: Really nice IPA, my idea of citrusy profile with great balance. (639 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a fluted pint glass, revealing hazy rich amber body with orange hues and a slight finger of thickish head which dissipates quickly to reveal a little lacing. Smells sweet and citrusy with a good caramel presence from the malts and a little lemon rind from the hops. Good solid smells.

Tastes smooth, meaty and malty with a rich level bitterness throughout of citrus character. Nice solid flavors. Delicious mealy, nutty malt backbone. Mouthfeel is creamy and medium-bodied with fine carbonation adding a little tickle and some well-sustained volume. Very drinkable. Drinks like a meal.

Overall I am very happy with this brew. It pretty much lives up to its namesake. (680 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a cloudy amber- light brown with an off white head with decent retention.

Citrus and tropical fruits are prominent followed by some pine, light caramel malt sweetness and some bread.

Sadly, the taste isn't as lively as the aroma. I will start off with the positives. This beer is very well balanced. Unfortunately I felt that the taste was somehow muddled or subdued, and there was some lingering harshness. The bitterness hit late and in waves, as opposed to steady crescendo reaching curve. Faint orange citrus flavor and pine along with some light mango, bread and caramel. As far as prominent flavors go, its fairly one noted with some supporting players that must have had their lines cut.

The mouthfeel was a little disappointing. A little more carbonation and body would have helped this beer out. Felt a little thin to me.

Overall a solid IPA, just not one of the better ones I have had. Drinkability is there, taste is another story. Just outstanding? Possibly. However based on the bottle I had it was Just OK. (1,030 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

A: hazy dark orange with beautiful fluffy 1 finger head (poured into snifter). Leaves a nice lace on glass.

S: tons & tons of citrus & tropical fruits.. Peach, orange, mango, apricot, sweet caramel, with pine notes & grapefruit.. Just a RIPE smelling brew.

T: more of what the nose offered. Orange, peach, mango, grapefruit, finesse apricot flavor, with caramel to smooth everything out. Just a perfect mixture. Finishes with a nice citrus bitterness that lingers.. Not a heavily dry finish, but it does leave you puckering..

MF: the feel could have been a tad bit heavier IMO, but the carbonation is spot on.

D: SCARY GOOD! I had to slow myself down because I couldn't resist another sip..

Honestly, when I picked this up I was scared it wasn't fresh (purchased in SD & bottle has no date), so I only purchased one. As soon as I cracked this open and smelled I knew it was fresh!! The taste was the icing on cake.. I was honestly blown away by this beer & can say I prefer this over PtE.

Thank you KRBC!! Too bad I'm not back in my hometown which was an hour drive from there.

Cheers!! (1,094 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Bomber into Bruery tulip.

Beautiful copper color with a huge creamy head. This laces with the best of them.

Big grapefruit aroma - a lot of citrus in general. Some pine/resin and basically no malt sweetness/caramel.

The taste is a small amount of caramel - very small - with a huge amount of hops. Grapefruit, lemon zest, and more grapefruit. Leaves a bitter hop flavor that lingers for quite some time. Very good.

Medium body and and medium to medium-high carbonation.

Very tasty IPA overall. The name is pretty much correct. (535 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Date: 05/28/2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2011
Glass: DFH Chalice

Poured a copper in color w/ a 11/2 finger white head that produced substantial sticky lacing. Aromas of grapefruit, Mandarin oranges, tangerine, and pine. The taste was light grapefruit up front, transitions to light caramel sweetness, then finishes w/ hop bitterness and resinous pine(reminds me of what PVC pipe would taste like). Medium bodied and lush. Fairly drinkable, but the resinous bitterness on this one started to get to me after awhile.

Overall, very good IPA, but not on the level w/ the greats such as Sculpin and Pliny. This brew lacks the depth of citrus flavors necessary to put it in the upper tier of IPAs, but very balanced. (716 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to beersinner for throwing this in as an extra! Poured into a over sized wine glass.

A- pours a golden copper color. 2 fingers worth of a sudsy off whit head. Excellent retention and a smashing amount of heavy lacing. This is just a beautiful beer. I don't think it could have been any better looking.

A- loads of citus! Tangarine and grapefruit sticks out and there's a bit of pineapple that shines through. The hops are present but not in a wow this is gonna be a hopbomb kind of way. There is a sweetness also present, however, I couldn't pinpoint the origin.
T- very citus forward! The tangarine and the grapefruit that I got in the nose really start things off well. The hops then enter and are very subdued compared to other west coast IPAs I have had. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't really dominate any of the other flavors. There is a solid caramel malt backbone to this beer. It is a very balanced brew.

M- medium bodied with spot on carbonation. The finish is somewhat sweet and not bitter.

D- I really enjoyed this brew and would give it another offering anytime! It drank very easily. I shared tis with my wife and father in law. I would have been able to kill this bomber(and another) by myself with gr8 ease! (1,251 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A pint Shared with Klym and SundaySour

A: a very light orange, quite clear actually. The slightly burnt orange hue with rough patches of coloring reassures me that I'm drinking an IPA. if someone secretly put a slice of citrus on my glass I'd think I was just "hefeweizened". But no, I checked the bottle, it's still okay. The two finger head came and went, with some stubborn patches forming islands of lacing.

S: GUAVA FREAKING JUICE, seriously tropical smell with a massively juicey sniff. I can't stress enough, this smells like guava nectar that is cut with a slight variation of tropical juices joining the party. multiple sniffs leaves me with a settling on Guava Nectar/Mango hybrid ambrosia -- a nose for the gods.

T: has a really singed citrus taste. It has that really great zing character that is evident in all great IPAs. That said, I think that the relentlessly orange character of the flavors numb me a bit. It's a very Juicey IPA with very subtle notes of lemon and orange. The "singed" flavor I describe is pretty unique, as it works in unison with the flavor profile to create this mask that the hop burn hides behind. Lemons, oranges, and the sugars they are caramelized in hold your hand through the hop burn. They tell you "it's okay, we'll get you through this; you will feel no bitterness, we promise." Then tropical fruit juice acts as the finish line. Congratulations, you made it.

M: the mouth-feel really is amazing, it's a ghost of a mouth. It's there but it's not, the liquid hovers in your mouth with lightness that contrasts the prominence of the flavors. It coats your mouth without entering that "medicinal" realm that so many beers do. What form of black magic is this?

O: This beer is incredible, but I have to admit the flavor was a bit unexpected from the smells I was getting. I can't say it was a let down, I just had a completely different picture than what I ended up with. That said, this is a must try. This beer begs to be your session brew of choice. The beer pairs amazingly with beach sunsets, citrus orchards, and in the licking light of camp fires. Another IPA to make California proud. One of the best single IPA's you can put your lips to. (2,199 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I first had this beer at the brewery in a flight, and have been craving it ever sense. So i couldn't pass up this bottle when i found it.

Very clear golden almost straw like in color. nice 1 finger white frothy head with good retention, leaving spotty lacing around the glass.

very nice hoppy aroma. tropical fruits (mango and pineapples stand out) some floral notes and citrus

taste follows the nose. fruity mangos, pineapple citrus with a mildly malty backbone. So easy to drink

light bodied medium carbonation. leaves the mouth watery.

overall thats just outstanding (575 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: pours pale gold with a thin white head.

Smell: tons of tropical fruit - papaya, mango - along with some grapefruit. No real malt presence. Hop intensity rivals many DIPAs.

Taste: similar to the smell but toned down a notch. Some more pine comes through here along with the tropical/citrus hop presence. Just a touch of biscuity malt flavor. No alcohol heat. Moderate battering hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel: body is medium to light. Healthy carbonation. Quite smooth and refreshing.

Overall: top-notch IPA in the aroma department. Flavor wise not quite at the level of the best examples of the style but still a very good offering overall. (694 characters)

Look: Cloudy golden amber with a thick white head. Lots of legs and quite nice lacing

Smell: One pungent brew with an explosion of Amarillo and simcoe hops right out of the bottle! Huge piney citrus notes with a sweet malt making itself ever present. Piney hops, lime, lemon, white nectarines, some light orange blossom, mandarin oranges, more pine, sweet malty notes round up the rear but are just barely there covered by more pine. Smells fantastic!

Taste: Much more balanced then the nose lead on as the pine and citrus notes meld quite nicely with a sweet malt leading to a quite nice balanced profile. Getting pine, nectarine, lemon notes, tangerine, sweet malt, earthy hops, with another wave of malt to smooth things out. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: Resiny hops stick to the teeth with a medium body and a quite bitter finish that dries very slowly. Very nice.

Overall: One outstanding brew. The hops are obviously the main show here but they at balanced really well with that malt to make one tasty IPA. Loving these simcoe and Amarillo IPAs and I think more brews should use this awesome pair up! Excellent IPA and one I wish I saw more. (1,150 characters)

poured from a bottle into a Tulip glass, color is a beautiful orange-copper, typical of an IPA, with a decent tan head that drops quickly but leaves quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is very nice, smells of cirtus and a dash of pine. Not quite as strong as I was expecting but good none the less. the taste was also very good, nice bitterness, some sweetness and the cirtus hops. Overall a very solid IPA. (404 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

poured into a tulip

A.

A nice orange/amber colored beer..slightly cloudy. About 2 fingers worth of thick offwhite head. A nice looking IPA

S.

Getting some nice citrusy aromas. Some grapefruit, orange, a little pine in there as well.

T.

same a nose but a nice little maltiness that hits you up front. You get the light caramelly malt up front, then some piney and citrusy notes along with a nice hit of bitterness that lingers for a little while. Has a west coast IPA feel to it. Not to the quality of pliny but still a very good IPA.

M.

medium bodied with loads of carbonation. Bitterness lingers for quite a while on this once with a little resiny pine aftertaste.

D.

Would be a go to IPA for me if it was readily available. Relatively inexpensive and decent quality. Only way to get it is to trade for it unfortunately. (833 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Pale Yellow with a white head. good carbonation.

S: piney bitter hops and some mild citrus in the background.

T: strong hop bit up front. I can taste the simco really well here. A significant amount of bitter pine and some lemon grass and a very dry finish.

M: medium light. Pretty standard for a regular American IPA.

D: not that smooth. Goes down pretty harsh, not going to sit here and drink a whole bunch of it.

Overall: As far as I know American IPA's are supposed to be really grassy and hoppy. So yes they did a nice job sticking to the style. It could be smoother though. Just seems kinda harsh going down. Still a decent example of an American IPA. (666 characters)

Just Outstanding IPA from Kern River Brewing Company