Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

good

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 430 | Hads: 1,173

22 oz. bottle from Mammoth Liquor. Lots of caramel in the aroma with some citrus hops, light mango, and faint pineapple. It pours slightly hazy amber with a small white head that leaves behind spotty lacing. The flavor starts with a light watery caramel fruitiness. Almost all the flavor comes in the finish with an increased caramel presence and a moderate dose of grapefruit hoppiness. Medium bodied with a soft mouthfeel and light carbonation. Awesome IPA! (459 characters)

On tap at my local tavern. Into a 20oz. mug.

The beer arrives with a two finger head of pure white foam floating atop the beautiful orange, amber colored goodness that is Kern's Just Outstanding IPA. The nose is citrus and biscuity malt with a bit of pine. Taste is huge grapefruit, and tangerine backed by a light, sweet, malt backbone and some piney bitterness. The finish is lush and juicy with a wonderful bitter aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with a level of carbonation which imparts a creamy texture and great quaffability. Overall this is the epitome of a perfectly balanced west coast IPA. Citrus, pine, light malt presence, great bitterness, what more could you ask for? Kern hits it out of the park with this one. Highly recommended! (753 characters)

I don't know how the bros say this is only an 83. This damn good, refreshing, highly drinkable. Just an outstanding WCIPA. Great hop notes, citrus, mango, peach, apricot, etc. Nice balanced backbone. Cristp and clean. Sticky and danky. I can't say another good things. (268 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Big thanks to mrmiles for this unexpected extra!

A: Pours a hop-hazed amber/orange color with a massive massive fluffy eggshell color cap. Retention is as good as it gets. Absolutely awesome looking beer.

S: My favorite kind of IPA...Sweet tropical fruit and citrus aromas with lots of orange, grapefruit, mango, and tons of pineapple. Slight pine and resin as well, but less apparent.

T: Exceptionally balanced flavor with malts giving some caramel sweetness, and the hops give a solid bitterness. The flavor is really light and delicate, but packs a punch. Similar to Sculpin in that sense. The hops are very fruity- orange, lemon, grapefruit, pear, apricot, mango, and pineapple. Simply awesome...I live for these kind of IPAs. The yeast also adds a faint butter flavor.

MF/D: Medium body, very smooth and creamy going down. Carbonation is perfect and really compliments the hops.

Notes: Second beer from Kern River, with CITRA as my first. Both beers earned near perfect scores, and well deserving. Thanks again Miles! (1,028 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Kern River Just Outstanding IPA
Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.
For my 700th review.

A – Pours a gorgeous hazy orange color with some slight copper hints. It also has a very delicious looking white 1 inch head. Nice dense bubbles with some bigger medium sized bubbles intermingled around. Very nice looking IPA. Seems typical of the West Coast style bright sunny and enticing. (5.0)

S – Starts off with juicy tangerines and grapefruit. Some nice orange rind is present. The tropical notes are delicious and refreshing even on the nose. Slight mango and papaya as well. There is some nice biscuity and fresh grainy malt the hop profile is nice and robust. Flowery hops are present with some slight pine notes on the back end hops are mostly on the citrus side of things though. (5.0)

T & M – Taste is delicious. Starts off with tons of citrus hop notes. Juicy and sweet grapefruit is present as well as some nice mango and awesome tangerine and orange notes there is also some slight pine. The citrus notes are delicious. This IPA is awesome. It is a near perfect example of an American IPA from the West Coast. It is not too complicated and has very few frills but every single flavor is perfectly crafted and represented. The hops are grassy, fresh, citrusy and also have a slight delicious resiny pine note. There is nice bready and fresh baked malt grain notes as well. Very well balanced. The mouthfeel is clean, crisp and with some good carbonation. The ABV is present but it is not too intense or overwhelming and makes this very easily drinkable. So sad I cant get this more often.(5.0)(4.5)

O – I’m very impressed with this IPA. I think it should be more highly rated than it is. Should be closer if not more than PtE. It has the nice citrus notes with the delicious tropical notes and the piney hop notes balanced well by some nice bready and earthy grain. (5.0) (1,899 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass. Enjoyed this for IPA Day (8/7/2014). I've had this many many times due to its easy accessibility.

Appearance: pours a lucious golden orange with a two finger+ off white head. Sticky lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: big citrus, tropical fruit and grapefruit notes. This is the very definition of juicy.

Taste/mouthfeel: it says it on the bottle. Just Outstanding! The front has those big juicy tropical notes. The middle has a touch of pine, but a touch only. The finish showcases the wonderful balanced maltiness with a bit of a citrusy sweetness. Nice full mouthfeel.

Overall: This is my go to IPA and is KRBC's flagship for good reason. Nothing but outstanding things to say. (742 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

I realized that I had not yet reviewed this particular brew from Kern River. And I have been advocating this wondrous brew by giving it as an extra on my trades. I received a fresh keg of it and promptly put it in the kegerator. So this review is based on a super fresh keg pour and not the bottle, which surprisingly got way better than the bottle (something that is hard to do with such a great tasting beer).

A: darker orange, copper appearance with an offwhite head that held at 2 fingers for quite some time. Not your typical IPA hue, but then again, this is NOT your typical American IPA.

S: holy shit, at first pull of the tap handle my bar area filled with the delicious aroma of ripe apricot, sticky resinous hops, some floral aromas...and I thought popping the top off of the 22 oz bottles released some delightful aromas...a fresh keg produced 100% better results! Awesome

T: Again, I thought it was going to be hard to beat the taste out of a fresh bottle, but WOW, I mean just WOW, fresh from the keg is the only way to go on this beer. Just Outstanding really nails it. Slight alcohol warmth to it in the end.

M: Sticky oily mouthfeel, perfect for the hopheads. Not to overpowering, still well balanced. Medium carbonation and tons of body on this one.

D: I think I can easily drink 4-5 pints of this, however after a while the ABV kicks in and realize its time to go to sleep. I am so glad that I have a keg of this yummy elixir to enjoy and enjoy for weeks to come.

**Again, this review was from a keg and not the bottle, which I thought couldnt get any better.** (1,587 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Very nice translucent golden-amber color with visual carbonation. Solid, thick 2 finger frothy eggshell colored head with great retention and lacing.

Nice floral, piney, citrus-grapefruit notes on the nose with just a touch of caramel.

Probably the best balance for an IPA I've ever had. Malt to hops blended so well. Nice floral and citrus notes with a touch of caramel malt in the aftertaste.

Very smooth mouthfeel, especially for an IPA. No bitter sting alot of ipas tend to have. Good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall I think the name, like the bottle says, says it all. This is now the best IPA ive ever had. I cannot find a fault in this beer Excellent flavor, nose, balance and look. A very easy drink. A must find. So glad I cracked this beer on this hot SoCal 4th of July weekend. (807 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

A bomber purchased fresh 4/22, opened 5/7.

Lives up to it's name. The word is balance. Lightly amber, it starts with a big head that slowly fades. Plenty of lace to go around. There is a very slight haze and a medium amount of carbonation. Aroma is big. Lots of pine and tropical fruit. Plenty of hop bitterness, but not over the top, destroy your taste buds, like many West Coast IPAs. Soft mouth feel and semi dry middle and finish. Taste profile is similar to aroma with enough malt sweetness to keep the hops from dominating. Medium leaning toward light body and long bitter finish. (587 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

A: hazy dark orange with beautiful fluffy 1 finger head (poured into snifter). Leaves a nice lace on glass.

S: tons & tons of citrus & tropical fruits.. Peach, orange, mango, apricot, sweet caramel, with pine notes & grapefruit.. Just a RIPE smelling brew.

T: more of what the nose offered. Orange, peach, mango, grapefruit, finesse apricot flavor, with caramel to smooth everything out. Just a perfect mixture. Finishes with a nice citrus bitterness that lingers.. Not a heavily dry finish, but it does leave you puckering..

MF: the feel could have been a tad bit heavier IMO, but the carbonation is spot on.

D: SCARY GOOD! I had to slow myself down because I couldn't resist another sip..

Honestly, when I picked this up I was scared it wasn't fresh (purchased in SD & bottle has no date), so I only purchased one. As soon as I cracked this open and smelled I knew it was fresh!! The taste was the icing on cake.. I was honestly blown away by this beer & can say I prefer this over PtE.

Thank you KRBC!! Too bad I'm not back in my hometown which was an hour drive from there.

Cheers!! (1,094 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Snifter.

I've had this beer several times and have never had the time to review it, so here it goes

A - Pours a somewhat hazy amber with a head that’s as stiff as I have seen on a nitro poured beer. Amazing looking off white head. As the head recedes it leaves behind a nice trail as if a snail had crawled down the sides of the glass.

S – Tons of citrus, and pineapple. I’m also picking up tropical fruits such as mango and orange. A slight breadiness is present but its mostly overshadowed by the citrus aromas.

T – This is a delicious IPA which follows the smell very closely. Nice citrus and pine up front with a nice malt presence to balance it out. Such a clean and crisp IPA. KBC has mastered the IPA.

M - Medium bodied and nice light carbonation.

O – The label reads that “The name says it all” and I cant agree more. This beer is Just outstanding. It really is one of the best IPA's I’ve enjoyed thus far. This is one of the best examples of a great West Coast IPA. Come to think of it, this may be my favorite (non-special release) IPA. (1,105 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into my Chamay glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Orange and reddish color, very sticky residue from the foam all over the sides of the glass.

S - Wow! This smells wonderful...very fresh and smells like I am walking through a pine forest...cannot wait to taste this one.

T - Wonderful bitter taste that keep going on forever...smooths out a bit in the middle with the sugar then comes back and bites you in the ass at the end.

M - Nice and balanced not too thick or too thin really loving this.

D - Could session this all night goes down very well even w/ the bitter finish.

This is in my top 5 IPA's forsher...I will be getting this over and over again. Really liking this brewery...Class V stout is great as well. (724 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Not sure why it's taken me so long to track this one down. Saw it last night at City Beer Store and pulled the trigger. I tried to come in with average expectations.

A - Beautiful cloudy orange in a Guinness glass, moderately active and great head retention and lacing.

S - Wow. Not overpowering but a swirl brings out mangos, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and melons. Nice pineapple comes out as it warms. Quite honestly...this beer even smells creamy...makes me just as anxious for the mouthfeel as it does the taste.

T - JUST OUTSTANDING. Follows nose 100% and as it warms the malt backing this up must be perfect because it's very creamy as it is bitter. Amazing from a single IPA. So refreshing, Perfect bitterness. It's there but not at all overpowering or lacking. Did I say the bitterness is Perfect? Perfect for the style. I love this beer. This beer is better than 75% of all the DIPAs out there and I've had about all the hyped DIPAs on this site.

M - Perfect balance between creamy for an IPA (or DIPA for that matter) and bitterness. Goes down perfect. I can find no flaws in this deptartment

O - I will say this, which is not a flaw in my book but at 6.8%, it drinks bigger to me like a 7.5% beer might...in a good way though.

Final Thoughts - When it comes to Hops, here's a brewery to look out for. Step aside Blind Pig and Sculpin...I believe I like this beer just a wee bit more when it comes to single IPAs. Blows Union Jack out the water. I expected to like this beer but not this much. Craig at City Beer said it's been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks which probably makes this beer close to a month old. I can only imagine what this beer would have been like from the source or within a week of bottling. I was impressed with Citra in relation to the DIPA style but not as impressed I am with Just Outstanding for the IPA style.

I want more... (1,873 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured this into a Russian River tulip. Had a Pliny the Elder about 15 minutes before this one.

Was excited when I saw this bottle in the store as I heard good things about it. I believe it to be very fresh as a case of it was laying near the coolers.

Poured a nice tangerine with a quickly dying head.

Aroma of delightful citrus notes - tangerine, tangelo, passion fruit - with a fantastic yet shy hoppy presence. Like Pliny's little sister. I was really looking forward to that first sip.

An amazingly drinkable IPA. A very mellow, not in-your-face IPA that holds up well. A very faint and unobtrusive aftertaste of lovely hops and orange. No bitter hoppy bite on this one.

Tastes great in the mouth - light and refreshing; you can gulp this one down. Carbonation is just at the right level. (799 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Bomber into an Alpine pint glass. Thanks for this extra mashmaster.

Pours a hazy orange, though I can see my finger through the glass. A perfect one-finger white head with tight bubbles lasts like a layer of fresh snow. Upon refilling my glass, stiff meringue-like peaks form.

Unadulterated mangoes and papayas in the nose. This smells like a blended Dole fruit juice, one of those Strawberry-Banana-Orange mixes. Possibly the purest fruit aromas I've gotten out of an IPA.

Many organic markets and co-ops across the county sell mango juice in oddly-shaped glass containers. They’re usually prohibitively expensive, but on the rare occasions that I’ve been able to sample them I’ve quite enjoyed the sweet juice within. Just Outstanding is almost like drinking that mango juice. Actually, the first sip is like biting into a fresh mango. The hop profile of this beer is so crisp, so clean, it’s nearly perfect. Some slight bitterness in the back end, but it's mostly just sweet like candy.

Crisp, perfect carbonation. Thin, but with enough body to carry all of the flavors through. To call this drinkable would be a terrible understatement.

Holy St. John de Crèvecœur, this is what the West is all about. A beer that showcases both the natural bounty of the Pacific and the brewing excellence of Kern River. This is a serious contender for the best IPA I've ever had. I'm not sure how the flavors of this beer could be improved upon. I could see myself drinking this every day, forever and ever. (1,512 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

Had on tap 7/31 @ KRBC. Filled two growlers and brought them back to OC for the next week.

A - Golden, pale IPA with a decent head.

S - There is a lot going on here. TONS of citrus, pine, and a few of my friends picked up strawberry.

T - Great citrus and fruit taste with a balance of hops and malt. You can seriously drink this stuff all day and not get tired of it.

M - Light, perfectly carbonated. Really good body to this beer.

O - This is one of my favorite IPAs. As of last month, I rank this higher than Blind Pig or any other widely available IPAs. KRBC is really kicking the crap out of other peoples IPAs/DIPAs. (626 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13%

A: Bright orange, very translucent, and lots of carbonation rushing up fromthe bottom. The head was only about a quarter of an inch but held pretty well and left very good lacing.

S: Bursts of citrus hit my nose. Lemon, Mango, apricot, peach, with a slight hint of pine and caramel as well. Just some great hop aromas

T: Good amount of grapefruit, mango, orange, peach. Very much like the smell, but a bit more pine that is a pleasant addition. As it warms the caramel comes out a little bit more and the hops fade, best enjoyed very cold

M: A bit light and slightly grainy with a mild hint of heat. Not terrible but not perfect

D: I could drink this one on a regular basis and think it stands up to some of the ebst IPAs out there

Note: I enjoyed this side by side with PtE and prefered this (797 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy burnt orange with perhaps the tallest, soapiest head I have seen thus far.
Exceptionally effervescent, great lacing.

Very flowery aroma, quite juicy like a tropical fruit salad with the sweet malt resting beneath.
Mouthwatering nose draws you in to the first sip with anticipation.

Taste is very nicely balanced, with the hops center stage. Flavors of orange, tangerine, & grapefruit are prominent, with the slight caramel sweetness from the malt to round out the flavors quite well.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium, carbonation is brisk but not overdone, nice bitterness resting at the back of the palate, alcohol extremely well hidden. Dry and crisp finish make this very appealing for what I am seeking in an IPA.

Exceptional example of the style, Just Outstanding earns its moniker. Really sweet effort from Kern River, highly recommended for those that enjoy truly hop forward IPAs. The "Bros." trashed this one in their review, and should recant the undeserved low rating by sampling another bottle with an open mind. (1,036 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to grze for sending me this bottle... as an extra believe it or not...

A- hazy peach orange color with an "outstanding" 2-3/4in antique white rocky, pillowy head... stuck around a damn good amount... left a superb amount of soapy lacing..

S- Candied oranges, pineapple and grapefruit... so sweet smelling at first... followed by a good hop punch ending in a grassy alcohol smell with the hopps lingering...

T- followed the nose in order as well... great lingering bitterness that wasn't overpowering. Its a good balance and is not one sided.. you get a good sweet citrus hot at first then the hoppiness comes thru and makes you know your drinking an ipa.

M- Creamy medium bodied with a juicy finish

O- Had high hopes for this one and it did not let down.... I had a lot of great, high rated ipa's this year and this one is definitely up there.. would have a hard time chosing others if this was around. Definitely Recommend and thanks again grze (957 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adam perfect pint glass.

Color copper orange when poured I got about one finger of white head. Foam didn't linger to long.

Smells of sweet grapefruit and passion fruit.
Hidden pine but very tropical.

Starts off with pine an finishes with passion fruit and a dry tart grapefruit. Well balanced for the amount of hops.

Very drinkable indeed.
I reccommend this one for those that are looking for outstanding IPAs. (439 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Golden-orange with more of a "soapy" head than a thick head.

S: My god, this smell! If it were a perfume, I would lather my body in it and then go shopping at a very crowded mall so everyone could enjoy the fruity, floral, hoppy joy that would be my body odor. It's like a ripe sweet peach or a cold glass of pineapple-mango juice at sunset...there is a nice under-smell of sweet hops and angel's tears. It's that good.

T: The taste is so light and sweet, the hops have no bitterness whatsoever but are present in the first sip. This is extremely refreshing and non-stanky in the mouth. The hop flavor doesn't punch you in the face, but rather, gives you a nice hug. Tasty from the first sip down to the bottom.

M: Fizzy, crisp, and yummers.

O: And how! This beer is something I'm going to wake up in the night craving. It is such a nice balance of refreshing, delicately hoppy, fruity, and magical. You could chug this, sip this, or bathe in this and still have the best time EVAR. (990 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very sweet and hoppy smell. Unfiltered look. Really hoppy taste with alittle malty finish. There is s hint of citrus. This is kind of like dirtwolf and 90 minute ipa mixed together. This taste stronger boozier than a standard ipa. But the abv is only 6.8% but there is all this flavor, that's just outstanding. (310 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

I had this for the first time on tap at the Kern River brewpub and I HIGHLY recommend going there for some good food and great beers (and while you're there do some river rafting, It's a blast!).

For the purposes of this review I'm drinking it from the bomber I got at Valley Farm Market in Spring Valley, CA.

First off, this is a fantastic west coast IPA. I find it to be similar to Sculpin IPA in appearance and taste. It poors a golden amber color and has a nice creamy two-finger head in my New Belgium globe.

The smell is citrus and pine in a very soft way.

The taste is as the smell with a sweet malt balance that adds a tropical, mango flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly dry because of the pine notes and nice amount of carbonation.

Kern River's beers are, unfortunately, not widely distributed, but I would encourage any IPA fan to keep an eye out for this one! (and any beer fan to look for all their great brews). (935 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Big thanks to Schwaeh for opening this beer at InebriatedJoker's house.

Appearance
This is already exciting. The beer is a nice clear, bright orange. The bottom of the bottle provides a little bit of haze. There is a lot of sticky, white webbing of lace.

Aroma
This is hands down, one of the best smelling beers I've ever happened across. Just Outstanding solidifies the claim that IPAs are the best smelling style of beer. This stuff is LOADED to the brim with juicy tangerine, and I mean EASILY identifiable tangerine juice. Lots of juicy pith. More tropical stuff comes out easily; pineapple is huge as is mango. This stuff is so fruity, fresh and perfect.

Taste
It can only go down hill from the aroma, so I was prepared. Thankfully I wasn't as let down with the taste as I expected to be. There is a lot of pine here, something that evaded attention in the aroma. In fact, pine leads here. Citrus is there in effect, but is more bitter and rindy than the aroma suggested. The center is still very juicy, but this mouthwatering tropical fruit center breaks, giving way to a piny, bittering finish only quelled by plenty of tangerine pith.

Mouthfeel
Very dry and very resinous. The hop oils just stick to everything they touch. This stuff seems bigger than it is and is certainly WAY more packed with hops than any other standard IPA.

Overall
Wow, just wow. An incredible beer. Give this, blinded, to any hop head and they'll think its an Imperial IPA. I really need more of this stuff. Its only fitting that Mike should have spilled his whole glass all over the table. (1,582 characters)

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours amber with a one-finger white head, good retention and lacing, great looking pint.

S: Bright, sparkling tangerine, papaya, citrus.

T: Relatively light caramel malt, with a very tasty hop character. Orange zest, pink grapefruit juice with concentrated pine oil and cedar in the aftertaste. Great Simcoe hop notes, shades of Port 2nd.

M: Thin at times, but overall a good body, very resiny.

D: One of the best tasting IPAs I've had, as the label says it is just outstanding, you can't sue 'em for false advertising on this one.

Edit - Having a 6 Day old bottle (5/31/10), incredible, rivals Duet, upping the smell and taste scores to 5s, it's at its peak, this is brilliant IPA, shows how important freshness is. (740 characters)

Just Outstanding IPA from Kern River Brewing Company