Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Just Outstanding IPAJust Outstanding IPA

good

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: mcallister on 03-01-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Just Outstanding IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Just diving right in to these IPAs I got from Randy! Thanks again! Poured into a tulip. This one pours a bit of a hazy amber with a big two finger head and some sticky lace.

Bitter piney hops with some grape fruit in the aroma. Seems to have a little bit of lemon in the taste but this certainly has a big hop aroma with a little bit of citrus in the background.

Light and refreshing body with some lively carbonation. Overall a good example of an approachable IPA. Easy to drink and enjoyable.

Bendurgin, Jul 26, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour: Deep, hazy orange with to fingers of off white, incredibly sticky head. Very frothy, and hangs around for a long time. Leaves great lacing.

Smell: Huge burst of sweet, juicy pineapple and mango up front, followed by some grapefruit. Next is quite a hefty amount of caramel sweetness.

Taste: Follows the nose with loads of pineapple. Some grapefruit and tangerine as well, but a large caramel backbone comes in and mingles with the citrus fruits through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very juicy, but on the heavier side for style. Still, clean, juicy bitterness makes this a real winner. Sticky, but in a good way. Drinks like a DIPA.

Overall: A very nice IPA from Kern. Not mindblowing, but a really, really nice change of pace.

cfrances33, Nov 21, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA a little over a month ago. The cashier claimed that it had just come in a few days before. To my knowledge, this bottle has been kept refrigerated for it's entire life.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Standard pour netted a good three fingers of dense, rich, eggshell-colored foam. Body is crystal clear, orange-copper in color, and displays a gentle column of carbonation rising within. Excellent head retention - it just won't die down! - and thick, bubble bath-like lace complete the look. Looks outstanding!

Smell: Grapefruit, pine resin, caramel, earth, and toasted grain notes. Sweetness picks up a bit as it warms. Well done, but pretty straightforward; no surprises here.

Taste: Earth and pine come forth first, followed closely by pineapple, salt, and lemongrass. Grapefruit emerges in the finish, paving the way for a long-lasting bittersweet aftertaste. As you can probably guess, this is a hop-forward IPA. However, the malt bill still hangs in there, providing a solid base of toasted bread crust and (lighter) caramel. All of the flavors meld together very well. Where was this in the nose?!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and well balanced. Fine, yet active, carbonation creates a velvety sensation on the palate - I dig that. Finishes bitter, but not nearly as dry as most west coast IPAs - I really like where it's at in terms of FG. Hop resins cling to the palate deep into the aftertaste. Once again, outstanding!

Drinkability: Other than the nose, this Just Outstanding was, indeed, outstanding! I wish I wouldn't have sat on it so long before drinking it. I'm sure a fresher version has an excellent aroma. This is a fantastic IPA through and through. Kudos to Kern River! I'm stoked that I can now get your stuff in San Luis Obispo.

ThreeWiseMen, Feb 17, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

sloelco, Dec 25, 2012

IpeeA, Apr 23, 2013

brycevolk, Apr 29, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

shipment came in today! no conspicuous bottle dating, so Im not positive of the freshness, but from what I was told, this bottle is less than 2 weeks old.

pours a golden copper with a nice hop haze and a huge, cloudy eggshell colored head that slowly recedes and laces in chunks.

floral and citrus hops abound in the aroma. fresh springtime flowers with some orange juice, grapefruit juice, and lemon zest. maybe some tangy tropical fruits as well as a touch of pine on the back end and a slight hint of light bready malts.

juicy citrus that's bitter, but not overbearing. tastes like a wet-hop IPA during the harvest season, though its far past that time period. orange juice, grapefruit, pineapple, tangy tropical fruits, some floral and pine qualities make it into the flavor while a slight butter cracker maltiness lies in the background. a slight drying on the finish with even some lemon pepper spiciness lingering. delicious.

fills my mouth with a fluffy carbonation on top of a juicy flavor that works well together. the ABV is not noticeable, and I can see it sneaking up on me.

This is very impressive. not too bitter, not too sweet, with tons of juicy flavor and an intoxicating aroma.

a terrible label, however. I would walk right past this if I saw it on the shelf without having heard about it before. However, its not on the shelves anywhere near here, so I don't have to worry about that one!

silentjay, Apr 05, 2011

ritzkiss, Dec 05, 2011

danwho, Nov 12, 2012

Nightrain87, Monday at 04:07 AM
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thank you to alenonbeeradv for this one
22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter

A- A hazy orange with a two finger white head.

S- Juicy citrus hops, tropical fruits, hint of pine.

T- Not as big as the smell. Citrus hops are not as present as I thought they would be up front, but they are there, nice malt backbone and a solid bitter piney hop finish.

M- Smooth, refreshing, light to medium body.

O- This is a solid IPA that I wish I could get more often. I feel really lucky that I got this as an extra in a trade. I feel it live up to its name of Just Outstanding IPA.

larryi86, Apr 02, 2011

NooseJustice, Jun 19, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip. Cheers to rmjavanut for sending this along.

The beer pours a mostly cloudy light orange. I can just barely see my way through it a little bit. A towering, foamy off white cap forms, four fingers in height and filling the top half of the glass. Head retention is off the charts, a solid 5+ minutes after pouring I still have more than two fingers worth. Lacing ain't too shabby either, rings of it are left around the glass. I feel pretty confident in saying it's the best looking IPA I've ever seen. Nose is good, but not remarkable in any way. No malt presence to speak of, it's mostly grapefruit with a hint of orange in the background. Flavor is a carbon copy of the nose. Try as I might I'm not picking up on any bread or caramel or any other notes that might come from malt. Bitterness is aggressive, but stops short of crossing the line into brash. Grapefruit is still the predominant hop flavor, though orange makes itself more known than in the aroma. Mouthfeel is great; I was worried given the lack of sweetness about the body, but it doesn't even hint at being too thin/watery. Carbonation is a bit high, which to my mind is dead on for the style.The solid flavor and great mouthfeel make Just Outstanding incredibly drinkable. My first beer from Kern River, and I wouldn't hesitate to try another

axeman9182, Nov 15, 2010

blindpiggie, Mar 10, 2014

POTABLE83, Apr 18, 2013

cp45, Mar 05, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Not sure why it's taken me so long to track this one down. Saw it last night at City Beer Store and pulled the trigger. I tried to come in with average expectations.

A - Beautiful cloudy orange in a Guinness glass, moderately active and great head retention and lacing.

S - Wow. Not overpowering but a swirl brings out mangos, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and melons. Nice pineapple comes out as it warms. Quite honestly...this beer even smells creamy...makes me just as anxious for the mouthfeel as it does the taste.

T - JUST OUTSTANDING. Follows nose 100% and as it warms the malt backing this up must be perfect because it's very creamy as it is bitter. Amazing from a single IPA. So refreshing, Perfect bitterness. It's there but not at all overpowering or lacking. Did I say the bitterness is Perfect? Perfect for the style. I love this beer. This beer is better than 75% of all the DIPAs out there and I've had about all the hyped DIPAs on this site.

M - Perfect balance between creamy for an IPA (or DIPA for that matter) and bitterness. Goes down perfect. I can find no flaws in this deptartment

O - I will say this, which is not a flaw in my book but at 6.8%, it drinks bigger to me like a 7.5% beer might...in a good way though.

Final Thoughts - When it comes to Hops, here's a brewery to look out for. Step aside Blind Pig and Sculpin...I believe I like this beer just a wee bit more when it comes to single IPAs. Blows Union Jack out the water. I expected to like this beer but not this much. Craig at City Beer said it's been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks which probably makes this beer close to a month old. I can only imagine what this beer would have been like from the source or within a week of bottling. I was impressed with Citra in relation to the DIPA style but not as impressed I am with Just Outstanding for the IPA style.

I want more...

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Apr 16, 2011

leitmotif, Mar 19, 2014

hopkrid, Oct 14, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this extra!

This brew pours a light straw color and settles a haze infused yellow orange. 2 fingers of a chunky off white head sits forever..

The nose is clean and hoppy. Fresh citrus, light pine, and a bit of caramel lingers.

The taste is quite the same. Some crisp, bitter offerings akin to grapefruit and pine. The malt bill is quite large but finishes with hop offerings easily applied. A sweet, buttered biscuit taste sits briefly and translates into a caramel taste.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy given the style. Comes on flavorful and bold and ends crsip and a little dry. Enjoyable.

Overall, bomb ass IPA. Full of flavor with a great nose and a smooth mouthfeel. Pretty spot-on.

ChugginOil, Jun 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass
Dating - none. batch # perhaps

A: Pours a clear straw-pale color with a nice thick lacey foam head.

S: Smells incredible. Bursting with citrus - orange/tangerine aromas and hints of sweet peach/mango.

T: Much like the aroma - get blasts of citrus hop flavors upfront with considerable bitterness on the palate. Finishes slightly sweet but nice light and dry. You realy have to search for the alcohol in this one.

M: Pretty smooth. Slightly sweet and finishes dry.

D: Superb. A really nice IPA - slightly sweet and super hoppy.

Just Outstanding! Now I have had this brew before on tap after a few other hop bombs and did not think much of it at the time. Now sitting down to review a fresh bomber I am quite pleased. A very drinkable, super hoppy IPA which I love.

Nugganooch, Mar 24, 2011