Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,510
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jobcrackerbah

On tap at the brewery 6/27/10

A: Cloudy orangish yellow with a white fluffy head.

S: Bursting at the seams with citrus fruits. I could smell this baby all the way from the bartenders hand. The malt mingles nicely with the hop profile. I can already tell citra is going to be amazing.

T: Wow, I have to place citra second to 09 pty . Tangerines, mangos, and oranges engulf my tounge with a very nice balancing sweet malt. The flavor profile starts off with orange fruits, melds into a nice unobtrusive malt, then fades without an abrasive hop bite. I'm confounded because I've never had a dipa this ridiculously refreshing with authentic fruit flavors. Most of the time, ipa's/dipa's have notes of fruit which I assumed was the limit of percievable fruit flavors. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M/D: A nice juicy moderately thick feel with light carbonation. Since the bitterness is perfectly balanced with malts and the orange fruits are f'n delicious, I could drink citra all day long.

I'm glad I made the trip and would defintely like to sample the next batches of citra. Pty is brewed once a year while citra is brewed every few months. Highly recommend trading for a growler.

06-30-2010 09:09:34 | More by jobcrackerbah
bpgpitt10

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

This is just straight up awesome. Best IIPA I have ever had.

A: not sure what else I could ask for. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head.
S: amazing citrus with the pineapple really shining through in a big way. Nice light pine smell as well.
T: starts with some pineapple then you really get hit with some mango. It has a nice balance and isn't overly bitter at all.
M: much creamier than I would have thought. Mild carbination just works so well with it.

Overall this beer rocks. It is complex yet balanced. Really an amazing beer.

12-20-2011 04:46:47 | More by bpgpitt10
BBri

4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Ap - Very nice darkish-orange color. Head was thin but high and dropped down to about the width of a pinkie. Carbonated well, good lacing.

Ar - Incredible. Subtle tones throughout and very fruity but not at all overpowering. I let it open up for a few minutes and smelled it again. I want this scent as my car air-freshener, that's how I'd sum it up.

T - Off the charts. Sweet at first with bitterness from hops that is almost a bit tart but quickly overtaken again by the hoppy sweetness. Finishes as smooth as any beer I've had and invites another sip.

M - Body was a just a bit thin for my typical tastes, however, the flavor made up for it by a longshot. The medium body simply makes this one more "drinkable" as I wouldn't restrain myself to just one!

O - Outstanding. Just one heck of a great beer.

01-18-2012 20:06:21 | More by BBri
dar482

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer comes in a hazy bright reddish amber orange with almost tinges of ruby and pink coming through as well, with a fluffy white head.

The aroma is pungent and juicy of tropical and citrus fruits, lots and lots of orange and grapefruit peel. A certain lemon and grapefruit zest and spritziness in the aroma. A big sugary sweetness in there as well.

The flavor follows with a powdery pink grapefruit candy, dried grapefruit and orange peel, tons of sweet dried tropical fruits. A big pineapple juice bitterness.

The beer has a wonderful medium mouthfeel with a fluffy white bread malt in the middle. There’s a sweetness throughout that comes through from beers like Double Jack and Lagunitas Sucks, instead of that white breadiness from VT hoppy brews.

The beer is medium plus bitterness on the finish along with tons of drying. The finish has floral, spicy and herbal bitterness along with tons of fresh grapefruit peel and pith.

This reminds me of an Alpine beer and definitely does a reasonable job standing up against the best from Vermont, although my preference is clearly in the light bready malt than the big sweetness this beer contains.

03-21-2014 01:56:56 | More by dar482
Hendry

Vermont

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%

Huge thanks go out to Sir Paul for this FRESH bottle of Kern Citra!

Cloudy apricot hue, 1 finger of frothy bone colored head, nice retention and splotchy lacing all up in the tulip.

As soon as you pop the cap, you know Citra means business: tons of ripe juicy tropical fruit including mango, nectarine, tangerine. The aroma is an assault on the nostrils in the best possible way.

Taste is exploding with tropical fruit amongst a fresh pretzel dough backdrop, and a touch of clean alcohol in the mix. Slight nick for the booze level, but not a detractor.

Mouthfeel is tremendous, carbonation surprisingly brisk but not overdone, lingering bitterness keeps reminding you of its' greatness.

Kern Citra and Alpine Bad Boy both represent to me the very best of the top notch California IIPAs, and notably, some of the rarest in the country. Citra goes toe to toe with the best small batch Vermont craft brew offerings, and I feel fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to have sampled a fresh bottle. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on this one, this is beautiful stuff.

11-12-2013 04:43:28 | More by Hendry
JohnG190

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to StonedRaider for the trade. Pours a cloudy amber with a thick white head. Good retention and nice soapy lacing. The nose on this DIPA is huge, lots of citrus, tropical fruit, with a hint of dank earthiness. This is what a world-class DIPA smells like. Strong hop bitterness on the front of the palate that becomes fruity and dank. Finishes dry and citrusy. No alcohol burn at all. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Overall, an amazing DIPA, well crafted and supremely drinkable, this one is well worth seeking out.

11-11-2013 23:45:01 | More by JohnG190
mikey711

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sending me this growler. I just couldnt resist this one seeing it sit in the fridge for a couple of days

A: A very nice golden orange that is slightly cloudy. Lots of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass and the head it just less than an inch thick of tightly packed slightly off white foam. It retains very well and leaves very nice lacing

S: Damn this is fruity. A huge citrusy pineapple, mango, papaya, some lemon, tangerine, peach, apricot and then a bit of bitter grapefruit as well. There is also a nice sweetness that just faintly comes through. I am blown away by all of the fruitiness with this one

T: Wow, bursting lemon citrus to start followed by the peach and apricot found in the nose. It is like drinking a tropical fruit salad with the freshest and juiciest fruit imaginable. The papaya note comes through a bit more in the end and it finishes with even more citrus!! This is exactly what I want in my DIPAs!!!

M: There is a slight roughness to the feel, and some heat is noticable, but the body is good.

D: Can you say perma-want! Taste wise I would and could drink this all day everyday. Hopefully i will have the chance to get another growler of this one in the near future because this is one bad ass DIPA

04-13-2010 22:09:25 | More by mikey711
jamex

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

I put this one up with Pliny. A magnificent beer that smells of orange, pine, tangelo - enough with the descriptive words. If you know WCIPA's, then this is everything that you've dreamed.

An amazing taste. Phenomenal. In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions - this is a flagship DIPA. One of those "wow" beers that comes along once, maybe twice a year.

EDIT: Also had in bottle ('11) and still an amazing beer. A+

Serving type: cask

11-11-2010 05:12:10 | More by jamex
DearthVader

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Bomber split with my brother a day after the release.

Pours a glowing copper orange that is slightly see-through. You see very little carbonation climbing to the top. A nice 2 finger head is formed atop. Extremely tight bubbles that last for quite some time. Thin lacing is left behind, but there's a lot of it.

Smell is intoxicating. I love how simple this beer is. Just loaded to the brim with Citra hops. Nice tropical notes, but just ultra ripe Citra. You can smell it from a good 2 feet away. Absolutely incredible.

Taste follows the outstanding smell. Full of juicy tropical fruits followed by the even juicier Citra hops. I usually like complexities, but this is so one dimensional and I am absolutely blown away by it.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side. Low carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

When I had this on tap at the release I liked it, but didn't love it. Sitting down with the bottle though I am now a complete believer of the hype. This will be a hard DIPA to top, but I look forward to trying to find one that does. Well done KRBC.

08-20-2011 23:04:18 | More by DearthVader
RutgersEng

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Citra pours a golden brew into a large wine glass with a one finger head. The smell is of citrus (orange/grapefruit) with a hoppy scent. The taste follows the nose with the citrus flavors but subside to mango and papaya further back on the palate. The taste is monster hop forward and the Citra hops do not disappoint. I love this beer! For me, it is the only beer that would give Pliny a run for its money.

12-08-2013 20:51:00 | More by RutgersEng
Sandstone

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sharing this awesome beer.

A: Beer is a lovely cloudy golden color. Pours with a thin white head that retains for days, and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is incredible. This is as close as you'll get to just sticking your nose into a bag of citra hops.

T: Pure hoppiness, overloaded with citrus zest. Beer is completely hop dominated with almost no perceptible malt backbone. Love it!

M: unfortunately I think the lack of malt makes the mouthfeel a little thin. It's all hops up front and then the finish just disappears. Not bad at all, just a little different.

D: could drink this for days. Goes down super smooth and just invites more drinking

04-10-2010 03:05:22 | More by Sandstone
Rampage1

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

First and foremost - a big thank you to Kyle the brewer for finally bottling this and making it a little more accessible for people to try what I consider my favorite overall beer I have ever had.

Appearance: This is one area where I think it is slightly different. The beer is a little more clear coming out of the bottle vs. a growler. A beautiful orange pretty clear with a white head that disappears pretty quick.

Smell: I love the way this beer smells. Its all tropical--pineapple,mango,peach,tangerines, and mandarin oranges. Has a little orange zest in the smell as well-- real strong on all tropical citrus notes. No real malt in the smell just pure hop bliss.

Taste: This is the most easy drinking double IPA you will ever have. When i first had this beer a year ago and change my initial thought was its decently bitter but now after having it numerous times I can say there is a nice malt backing to it to balance out all of those hops. In the front of the taste I get alot of oranges and tangerines followed by some slight pineapple on the finish. Definitely has some bitterness but it does seem pretty well balanced with a slight malt after taste. Pretty dry beer to me so it goes down really easy and quick for me. I could and have polished off a growler in a little over a hr and could not believe it was gone that quick. A easy drinker for me.

Mouthfeel: A little less carbonation than the draft version. It still has a nice mouthfeel but slightly less carbonation none the less.

Overall: I can't wait to get up to Kern for the next time Citra is available. Get a hold of me Kyle and I will just buy you a extra fermenter to keep this thing year around. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this beer. Wish it was closer to me. I have had so many of the IPA's and doubles and all the top tier one's and I can say this really lives up to the hype easily. I could pick this out of a line up blind folded with ease. Nothing compares. Keep up the great work Kyle. Can't to have some more of the 5th Anniversary beer this fall. Keep the great IPA's coming Kyle and I will keep drinking them.

08-22-2011 01:36:31 | More by Rampage1
urwithdave

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to a generous BA for sharing at the Zhukoz release. 64oz growler poured into my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy, golden orange in color. A billowing white head that has great retention. Nice sticky lacing left behind.

A- Lots of tropical fruity goodness. Tangerine and grapefruit dominates. There is also a hint of pineapple in the mix. The hops are nice and pungent.

T- Again, lots of tropical fruits. The oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit shine. The bitterness isn't nearly as in your face as I was expecting, but I'm not knocking it. The malts are definitely in the distance here, but I do get a slight hint of them on the backside.

M- On the thinner side of medium. A nice dry semi-bitter finish. Nicely carbonated.

D- I would drink this for all of eternity.

08-03-2010 04:10:32 | More by urwithdave
GabrielM

New Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Opened a box from BA Tieman today expecting some Pliny or something similar and pulled this baby out. Thanks again, Dan!

Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A - Really nice golden color with an awesome soapy, bright white head on top. Nice lacing as well.

S - smells of delicious garlic, some cat piss, fresh cut grass.... basically it's a bold, bright, fresh citra BOMB! Really nice.

T - as the nose predicted but 50x more intense and delicious. Bitter hops, malty balance, and all the citra you can handle. It's about 10 degrees out right now but it's spring time in this glass. Really awesome.

M - extremely smooth considering the nice bite this has. Creamy and the perfect amount of body as it goes down.

O - this beer has a A+ and it's easy to understand why. One of the best I've tasted in my life.

12-08-2011 00:04:59 | More by GabrielM
Overlord

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Wow. Just wow. Many thanks to inflames, who sent this pretty much out of the goodness of his heart (though I hope to repay him in kind).

Pours a bright glowing orange. Big frothy white head. Beautiful look, and pretty big head for a DIPA.

Amazing, just amazing aroma. This is something very special. Tons of incredible pink, juicy grapefruit, apricots and tangerines, fresh sliced oranges, pineapple, mangoes,, passion fruit and ... maybe a whiff of fresh pine, but the citrus character is unbelievable. Just incredibly fresh hop bouquet, along with Dreadnaught and Pliny the Younger, best aromas from any member of the IPA family tree I can recall.

Taste is every bit as good, if not better. Incredible biting hop freshness, simply unreal. Juicy oranges and tangerines predominant, but tons of grapefruit, mangoes, pineapple and a host of exotic fruits ... just an amazing brew. Maybe a whisper of malt. Just the barest whisper.

Very good fluffy mouthfeel.

Only regret, difficult work schedule and anticipated growler expiration made it impossible to share this with anyone but the missus, who didn't really like it.

MUST HAVE MORE. One of the finest beers I have ever had.

05-28-2010 07:27:59 | More by Overlord
Keyportnick

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours a golden copper with a layer of pure white lacing foam. Looks hazy hard to see through.

S- Big aromas of mango, orange and citrus. Small hints of malt.

T- Mango and pineapple, sweet malts and a slight lingering finish of earthy hops.

M- Solid medium body, well rounded. Medium carbonation.

O- Great well rounded dipa. I would drink this again if I could. I would still much rather prefer a heady topper, pliney, or abrasive. Kern river falls just a hair a short.

02-15-2013 00:13:56 | More by Keyportnick
dougfur

4.86/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange color with a nice thick head, pretty creamy. The smell is strong, tropical hops, as is the taste. Nice level of bitterness. It has good body, feels nice in the mouth, there's really not much fault to find in this beer. It's one of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I feel like my ratings above might be too tough on it and if you get the chance to try this one, do it. Absolutely outstanding! Thanks to the citra fairy in CA!

03-21-2013 23:31:38 | More by dougfur
SkiBum22

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - Lots of pineapple and orange peel smells exactly like I thought it would. Very inviting aromas with muted evergreen notes, the citrus really dominates.

T - Just like the nose. Hopes, pine, citrus, malt all balanced together. Slight bitterness at the end.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

O - All I can say is Wow! I have now had all the big three DIPAS (Pliny, Heady Topper & Citra). Tough to put these in order but I have to say for me this is the second best IPA in the world behind Heady Topper for me with Pliny in a close third. Knowing how good this beer is I will definitely be trying to get more in the future.

05-17-2012 16:45:15 | More by SkiBum22
rand

From tap to tulip glass

A: Light apricot in color with a chilled haze. Forms a pillowy head, tightly bubbled, leaving little patches of lacing everywhere. Creates a really unique and beautiful cascading effect down the side of the glass

S: Likely where Kern River derived the title, aside from the eponymous hop, the nose carries a huge bouquet of fresh citrus; orange and grapefruit prominent. Vibrant hoppy pine joins the mix backed by honey-sweet malts.

T: A bit more hop-forward than the nose, fresh piny bitterness jumps out front. The fruity, acetic citrus tones are right there, but they're nearly neutralized by the perfectly balanced malts. Lemon-pepper, orange rind, green tea are noted. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. Finishes as it starts, citrusy, bitter, sweet.

M: Lighter bodied than expected and nicely carbonated. Leaves little residue between each sip

I was a huge fan of Just Outstanding when it came out (probably my favorite "single" IPA) - this raises the bar. Tastes like Pliny the Elder with just a bit more lemon-citrus. I guess there was some legal issue with their label, which is now approved, which held up their production? Whatever the reasons, please make more!

09-28-2011 06:13:15 | More by rand
Inflames

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the brewery, 6-27.
I've had both the previous bathces, and I really enjoyed both, but this one was easily my favorite.
I could try and name off all the pleasent aromas and flavors that everyone else has been describing but I think I'll go a different way.
Just outstanding is easily one of my favorite ipas. I would order it all day long but when Citra is on tap I have to go Citra.
It looks more like a pale ale then an ipa.
Aroma brings me back to two points in my life, 23 years ago standing in my grandmother's garden and driving through the orange fields of Bakersfield in early spring.
The most disappointing part of the taste is the point at which it fades from your palette, which takes quite a bit of time to occur.
For the style the drinkability is scary good, I could end up sitting at the brewery drinking for hours, thus pissing the wife off of course then sleeping on the couch. Thank ____ for growlers.
If you haven't tried this brew yet, do yourself the favre.

06-27-2010 23:36:01 | More by Inflames
baybum

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

22oz Bottle from TheHooch - Thanks again and enjoy the Cherry Rye!
Poured into a TH glass.

A - Hazy with a wonderful orange color with a perfect head. This is what an IPA should look like.

S - The aroma of hops from the bottle gets you excited to taste this beer. The citrus combines with the aroma of the hops to make you want to smell this over and over again.

T - For a DIPA this beer has very little bitterness to it. A sweetness fills your mouth that ends with a hop explosion. For me this is the style of DIPA that I crave for.

M - Full bodied. Very creamy and smooth drinking.

O - This is a great DIPA and one I wish was made more often and easier to find. A Top 5, absolutely. It is right there with the best IPAs I've ever had - Heady, Zombie, Abrassive, PtE.

03-01-2013 02:43:41 | More by baybum
argock

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. Sticker states "Hand bottled Jan. 2, 2011" on bottle neck. Able to try this brew only due to the exceptional generosity of Solomon420.

A: Hazy tangerine-peach with short, 1-finger off-white head with short retention and some formations of lace down the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is perceptible at least 3 feet away, if not further. It is easily one of the best aromas in beer. Massive amounts of citrus fruit waft away with grapefruit, mandarin orange, and lemon all in the mix. Tropical fruit including mango and passionfruit also make an appearance, with floral, blossom flavors there too. Pine and resin are strong, but an unmistakable component of herbaceous, onion-like aroma also hits the nostrils pretty hard. This brew doesn't fashion much of a pale malt aroma, but who cares, it hits all of the big hops check-offs: citrus, herb, floral, resin, and pine.

T: The flavor is excellent and brings all of the hops goodness on the aroma in all the right places with emphasis on the pleasant flavors like grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine resion, and reduces the less desirable flavors like the herbal, onion flavors. This one goes right where OB Gubna went wrong. While the hops flavor doesn't bludgeon you, you submit to the wonderous array of hops flavors available in this brew. The pale maltiness plays a bigger role than you know by keeping the bitterness to a tolerable level. Alcohol is nonexistent in the flavor.

M: The carbonation is low-medium with a light tackiness and good coating quality.

D: A superb DIPA with hops complexity unlike any other. I tried Pliny the Elder this week (again, courtesy of Solomon420), and I have to say, I enjoyed this one a little more. Citra DIPA really exemplifies the West Coast DIPA to me, even better than PtE -- citrus and pine with flashes or raw herbal and floral hoppiness.

01-11-2011 02:49:48 | More by argock
billshmeinke

Poured into a nonic.

Body of this beer is a hazy golden/orange color. One finger slightly off white head. Dies down to a cap of foam on top with nice lacing.

Beautiful bouquet of tropical fruits. It smells like pineapples, mango, tangerine, orange rind and grapefruits. Smells amazing.

The taste follows smell. Tons of oranges, pineapples, mango and grapefruits. Some spice, and a tobacco like bitterness. Flavors lean more towards grapefruit and orange rind bitterness than pineapple, mango, and orange sweetness the more you drink of this intensely hopped brew. There is also some subtle buttery diacetyl in there. Simply awesome!

Full bodied, well carbonated creamy carbonation, a nice hop bite and resin bitterness cleaning out the back end.

Easily better than Pliny the Elder, and a contender with Pliny the Younger for the best Imperial IPA I have ever had.

08-01-2010 23:29:37 | More by billshmeinke
chaint

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

Courtesy of Mike, who shagged a few bottles at the release the weekend before.

A "flavorful" smell (a mix of citrus and pineapple) with great floral qualities, as well. As for the taste...I think balance was the word. A great balance of hops, sweet, and malty. My new gold-standard for DIPAs.

02-11-2013 19:03:00 | More by chaint
tectactoe

4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to karink for this one - a huge one from my wanted list finally gets crossed off. Pours a deep copper color near the top that cascades through a gradient, finishing at a shade of amber near the bottom. Hazy and cloudy everywhere but the very edges, topped off with a thick fingered, foamy white head that leaves behind some huge pieces of chunky lace. This beer is simply beautiful. Maybe I'm swooning a bit too much because this was such a huge want on my list, but this is spot on for a DIPA... Looks good enough to drink.

The aroma on this beer is simply one of the best in the business. This is how DIPAs should smell. An orgy of fruit plows through your nostrils like a hobo rummaging through a deli; intense bouts of pineapple, mango, guava, grapefruit, citrus, apricot, peach, tangerine... Just name a goddamn fruit and you can probably pick it out of the aroma here. So much fruit, it's insane to think a profile like this comes from the use of only TWO hops (Citra and Armarillo, though most of it is probably from the Citra).

The hop aromas are raw and vibrant also; piney, resinous, oily, floral, and pungently juicy. A light onion-like aroma adds to the complexity as well. Despite the massive hop bomb, the malt backbone does not go unnoticed... It provides a strong and sweet bready aroma alongside the hops, like buttered crackers and lightly toasted buttered bread. This aroma is simply sublime, in every sense of the word.

Couldn't have been more excited to bring this one to my lips after smelling it... the malt underbody gets laid out right from the start; it begins with a highly drinkable malty sweetness, again, in the form of buttery biscuits, lighty toasted, hand-in-hand with a mild onion and salty flavor. It doesn't get too comfortable on your palate, however, because the hop bum-rush quickly asserts itself - heavy, heavy citrus peel, pineapple, mangos, grapefruits, tangerines, and honeydew. Just an insane collage of fruits that bounce of the sides of the mouth like crazy.

A piney bitterness washes over everything about halfway through, followed by a decrescendo of floral, herbal, and oily resins. The aftertaste dies out with this bitterness that couples with a light malt sweetness and a heap of bittersweet citrus flavors. 8% ABV goes completely under the radar, this beer is drinkable as shit. Medium bodied with somewhat high carbonation, ever-so-slightly sticky on the palate.

This was one of my biggest wants (thanks again to karink for the hook-up) and I am so glad that it not only lived up to the hype, but it surpassed my expectations by quite a bit. So goddamn tasty, aromatic, and drinkable. Everything a DIPA could hope to be. If you're a lover of citrusy based D/IPAs, do yourself a solid and get your hands on this beer. All hail the motherfuckin' Citra hop, baby!

02-11-2013 14:20:11 | More by tectactoe