Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,576
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
Plasmamonkey

Soundfellar

06-08-2014 01:14:51 | More by Soundfellar
tewaris

3.15/5  rDev -31.2%

Bomber from the most recent release (about a month old I think) poured into a snifter. Thanks Ross (locke459)

Pours clear and golden with a moderate alabaster head that formed in cascades atop the amber mass. The head is more bubbly than creamy with medium retention and good lacing.

The aroma is all over the hop spectrum: from fruity to dank to spice. Reminds me of my local Abrasive at times. As it gets warm the sweetness comes through: hard to say whether it's exclusively from malts or there's some contribution from the alcohol. I think it's fairly standard for a DIPA and nothing exceptional, especially because it's all over the place and not showcasing a particular hop character.

Mildly sweet, hints of fruit, quite crisp as opposed to creamy-viscous, with moderately bittering finish. Everything about the profile of this beer seems "moderate", or shall I say ordinary?

As remarked, mouthfeel is crisp and clean on a lighter-than-your-usual-DIPA body; and I like the mouthfeel on this one.

Overall, ok. I can't taste the hype :/

09-04-2011 06:07:49 | More by tewaris
tarheels86

3.25/5  rDev -29%

Tap at Toronado SD for SDBW. Pours a bright, low haze, light orange. Small, white head. Nose is heavier butterscotch, vanilla, some vodka, mango, parmesan cheese. Taste is boozy/white alcohol/vodka, butterscotch. Palate is thick, chewy, oily. A bit sticky/syrupy. Not what I was expecting.

11-13-2012 20:42:34 | More by tarheels86
grover37

District of Columbia

12-30-2012 20:15:38 | More by grover37
younger35

3.25/5  rDev -29%

Big thanks to dgb3 for generously sending this growler my way. I've had the Citra Hop exactly one time from a homebrewed IPA and it was bomb.com. Drank from my Surly AHA Rally pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a burnt sort of orange with a light bit of chill haze and a perfect one finger creamy off-white head. A decent cap and collar remains along with plenty of thick rich lacing.
Smell- Not as pungent as you'd expect from a big DIPA but it is somewhat fruity. Some papaya, peach and apricot all join the fruit party but I'd just like it to be more intense. The malt is very noticeable as well as there is a bit of a biscuit/caramel malt tinge. Definitely not the typical west coast IPA type smell. Not bad by any means, just not as interesting as I was expecting.
Taste- Hmmm... interesting. Very malty and lightly sweet with a bit of a orange marmalade like thing going on. Maybe some grapefruit and papaya but nothing in the realm of really fruity or citrusy. I get a touch of pine every now and again as well. The malt could be the dominate characteristic in this beer though as some toffee/caramel is evident right from the get go. A grainy sort of toast is present as well. The 8% is hidden extremely well though. I wouldn't guess this beer was over 4-5%.
Mouthfeel- Nice full body with a soft biting carbonation. Probably the best part of the beer.
Drinkability- If I was to take a drink of this beer (not knowing what it was) and was told to guess what it was, NO WAY I'd say a Double IPA. Maybe I'm just too used to the big brash hoppy IPA's but for some reason this beer just didn't do it for me. I had big hopes too considering how good Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA was and how good the homebrewed Citra IPA was that I had. Oh well, can't love every beer but it was still great to try. Thanks much Dan!

05-25-2010 17:20:34 | More by younger35
Gtreid

3.43/5  rDev -25.1%

Been waiting for this one for a while. Thanks go out to mrbubbler for the opportunity.

A: Hazy orange color. The pour dropped a finger or so of pure white head that faded to a thin rim and left little lace.

A: The aroma is that of sweet pineapple, pine tar, and citrus. I actually get a little butter in the nose, which I hope is not a sign of off flavors.

T: The taste follows the nose, with notes of more pineapple, orange, and pine sap. The biscuit and caramel malt balance this well. I was afraid of this from the nose, but there is a distinct diacetyl taste. The buttery notes are not pleasant. If not for this, I believe this would be a good beer.

M: Creamy for a dipa. Medium to full body, light on the carbonation.

O: I was expecting an A+ brew, I got an B brew. Not bad, if it weren't for the diacetyl, I guess I got a bad batch. This is definately not on par with the world class brews such as Hopslam, in my opinon. I hope to get to try this again, and am chalking this review up to a bad batch. Skal.

04-02-2011 23:43:06 | More by Gtreid

Georgia

11-16-2011 16:54:59 | More by coreyfmcdonald
TheDudeRules

3.63/5  rDev -20.7%

Generously hooked up in a trade from Slaphappysnark. Fresh and sticky. Thank you Becky!

Shared amongst friends, I pour my portion into a Darkness snifter.

Bright orange pour. Colorbook like. My nieces would run wild on the walls with that color crayon. Two full fingers of off white head. Smell is deep citrus. Sweet of course. It's not pungent or aggressive just sweet. My first impression of my sip is how undercarbonated it is. It's not omg awful, it just isn't there. Taste is semi sweet tropical citrus that cuts to a dry finish. Hmmmm. (Scratches head) This has been done much better by others.

Sure the beer was good. Great? No. I don't see what all the fuss is about, Albeit, I'm glad I tried it and had the overall experience. If I'm on the West Coast i'd much rather reach Expo Hopiness, and Knuckle Sandwhich. East Coast, Hill Farmstead. Kern can't hold a candle to any of those. Competition is closed boys and girls.

09-01-2011 03:55:23 | More by TheDudeRules