Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 3,014
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 365 | Hads: 1,527
4.89/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to Mulder1010 my 2011 secret santa! This beer was chilled and shared with my wife. The beer was served in Imperial Pint glasses.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy orange coloration. Thick biege head rides the top of the beer. The head lasted throughout the quick disappearance of this beer.

S- Just awesome! This beer delivered one of the best hop fruit aromas I have ever experienced. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, mangoes, papayas and fruit zest combine with resinous pine. Supporting the hops is a mild sweet caramel maltyness.

T- A perfect mirror of the aroma. This beer is all about the hops. In short this beer is fantastic!

M- The body of the beer is medium with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of alcohol in the mouth.

O- This beer is hop loving in a bottle. Dam near perfect beer drinking experience.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a very slightly hazy pale orange, with nice-looking foamy 2 finger white head. Retention is great as the head eventually recedes leaving tons of lacing which stays for as long as I’ve been looking at it.

S – I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped with 3oz of citra; the smell is super distinctive, perhaps the most of any hop variety that I have used to date. Very aromatic orange and grapefruit smells dominate the pine, floral hops which are also present. The freshness of this beer yields an Über hoppy aroma that I cant stop putting my nose into. So wonderfully strong and floral.

T - Taste follows the smell with orange and grapefruit like sweetness, but finishes with a nice piney hoppy bite. Arguably one of the most drinkable beers I have had the pleasure to enjoy. The citrus mango and pineapple are all balanced very well with a perfect amount of malt. Very tasty.

M – Medium bodied with excellent medium carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. This is a very balanced DIPA with slightly higher than average carbonation which I prefer. The ABV is so well masked that I drank the entire bottle with a swiftness like non-other. Supper upset that I didn’t savor this one, rather inhaled it like it was the last thing I would ever get to drink.

O – Overall im really happy I got to enjoy this beer. I had it from growler as well as bottle and think there is no difference whatsoever. This beer definitely lives up to its hype. What really makes this awesome is that its unlike the other west coast IPA offerings. I highly recommend this beer if you can find it. If KRBC is reading this, use your heads and make this available in the Bay Area!!! Oh, and thanks for the awesome beer!

On tap at the brewery 6/27/10

A: Cloudy orangish yellow with a white fluffy head.

S: Bursting at the seams with citrus fruits. I could smell this baby all the way from the bartenders hand. The malt mingles nicely with the hop profile. I can already tell citra is going to be amazing.

T: Wow, I have to place citra second to 09 pty . Tangerines, mangos, and oranges engulf my tounge with a very nice balancing sweet malt. The flavor profile starts off with orange fruits, melds into a nice unobtrusive malt, then fades without an abrasive hop bite. I'm confounded because I've never had a dipa this ridiculously refreshing with authentic fruit flavors. Most of the time, ipa's/dipa's have notes of fruit which I assumed was the limit of percievable fruit flavors. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M/D: A nice juicy moderately thick feel with light carbonation. Since the bitterness is perfectly balanced with malts and the orange fruits are f'n delicious, I could drink citra all day long.

I'm glad I made the trip and would defintely like to sample the next batches of citra. Pty is brewed once a year while citra is brewed every few months. Highly recommend trading for a growler.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Ap - Very nice darkish-orange color. Head was thin but high and dropped down to about the width of a pinkie. Carbonated well, good lacing.

Ar - Incredible. Subtle tones throughout and very fruity but not at all overpowering. I let it open up for a few minutes and smelled it again. I want this scent as my car air-freshener, that's how I'd sum it up.

T - Off the charts. Sweet at first with bitterness from hops that is almost a bit tart but quickly overtaken again by the hoppy sweetness. Finishes as smooth as any beer I've had and invites another sip.

M - Body was a just a bit thin for my typical tastes, however, the flavor made up for it by a longshot. The medium body simply makes this one more "drinkable" as I wouldn't restrain myself to just one!

O - Outstanding. Just one heck of a great beer.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is truly a delicious beer. Everything about it is outstanding. I tried the lottery to try to buy this beer but no dice this year. I'll keep trying. It's really worth it!

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

The beer comes in a hazy bright reddish amber orange with almost tinges of ruby and pink coming through as well, with a fluffy white head.

The aroma is pungent and juicy of tropical and citrus fruits, lots and lots of orange and grapefruit peel. A certain lemon and grapefruit zest and spritziness in the aroma. A big sugary sweetness in there as well.

The flavor follows with a powdery pink grapefruit candy, dried grapefruit and orange peel, tons of sweet dried tropical fruits. A big pineapple juice bitterness.

The beer has a wonderful medium mouthfeel with a fluffy white bread malt in the middle. There’s a sweetness throughout that comes through from beers like Double Jack and Lagunitas Sucks, instead of that white breadiness from VT hoppy brews.

The beer is medium plus bitterness on the finish along with tons of drying. The finish has floral, spicy and herbal bitterness along with tons of fresh grapefruit peel and pith.

This reminds me of an Alpine beer and definitely does a reasonable job standing up against the best from Vermont, although my preference is clearly in the light bready malt than the big sweetness this beer contains.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks go out to Sir Paul for this FRESH bottle of Kern Citra!

Cloudy apricot hue, 1 finger of frothy bone colored head, nice retention and splotchy lacing all up in the tulip.

As soon as you pop the cap, you know Citra means business: tons of ripe juicy tropical fruit including mango, nectarine, tangerine. The aroma is an assault on the nostrils in the best possible way.

Taste is exploding with tropical fruit amongst a fresh pretzel dough backdrop, and a touch of clean alcohol in the mix. Slight nick for the booze level, but not a detractor.

Mouthfeel is tremendous, carbonation surprisingly brisk but not overdone, lingering bitterness keeps reminding you of its' greatness.

Kern Citra and Alpine Bad Boy both represent to me the very best of the top notch California IIPAs, and notably, some of the rarest in the country. Citra goes toe to toe with the best small batch Vermont craft brew offerings, and I feel fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to have sampled a fresh bottle. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on this one, this is beautiful stuff.

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Cloudy pale-ish yellow amber. Pours with a nice finger head, which dissipates fairly quickly to a thin foam layer. Nothing special.

S - I could smell the citrusy hoppy goodness as soon as the cap popped off the bottle. Don't even need to put your nose in the glass to smell all the flavors. Delicious grapefruit and tangerine dominate with a bit of dankness and some other citrusy fruit smell. For me the best smelling IPA I've ever had by a decent margin, as I prefer the tropical fruit smells over piney or dank smells.

T - The grapefruit and tangerine from the smell hits first balanced with a perfect amount of hop bitterness and hop oil on the finish. Tastes vibrant, if that makes any sense. Delicious.

M - Smooth start with a dry tingly finish. I've had smoother IPAs (e.g., Abrasive) but I kind of like the change as it moves through across the tongue.

O - My personal favorite IPA, it's as if it's constructed to my personal preferences. I've had it several times, and at one point or another side by side with heady, elder, double sunshine , and abrasive and it's always been my favorite (though those other are also terrific).

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Drove over 600 miles to get a couple growlers of this bad boy..

A: pours a dark orange with a hazy body.. Nice bright white head with tiny bubbles..

S: WOW!! The aroma is so captivating. Loads of ripe citrus aromas (orange, grapefruit, pineapple).. Nice pine touch with a small dose of caRamel sweetness.. Words honestly can't describe..

T: another WOW!! Again you get hit with the beautiful citrus flavors.. Very ripe & fresh & so damn delicious.. Orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit... Towards the finish pine is present along with a small amount of sweet malt.. Almost no alcohol detection.. Pretty much straight up hops but no harsh bitter finish..

MF: the mouthfeel is another great quality of this brew.. Medium bodied with a perfect carbonation level.. It sits in the mouth so nicely.. Very nice texture..

D: all day everyday..nuff said

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

I was a beer tasting party and some brought a growler of the incredible DIPA. Fairly new and unheard of brewery, but they hit a home run with this one. I ended up blow off the other brews a stay with this yummy brew. It is the best drinking DIPA I have ever had. It starts with a bright citrus hop that dances on your tongue. Its ends anything but bitter, just a fresh hop flavor that lingers.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a deep orange with a sticky bubbly big white head.

Very complex aroma. Loads of tropical fruits are present. Mango, papaya pineapple also some citrus, but it also has some subtle floral and pine scents as well.

Flavor follows the nose. This is fantastically complex. Starts out with bright citrus and floral flavors. Finishes bitter, piney and dry like a lot of DIPA's, but there is a unique tropical fruit sweetness lurking beneath the onslaught of pine.

Mouthfeel is moderately creamy with good carbonation levels.

This beer is everything it's cracked up to be. I'd like to try this ZD and PtE side by side to see sometime, but I loved this and the bottle went away much too quickly.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Huge thanks to chswimmer for sending this one my way. I knew i had to get ahold of it and quick as word was out, this was one killer dipa. Served cold and enjoyed the whole damn thin last night on 04/10/10.

The pour was superb. So damn cloudy and thick looking, the consistency of very pulpy grapefruit juice but with a more amber tone to it. Big head of white rises up but fades after a few minutes coating the entire glass with sticky white webbing that never does fade away, this is going to be a beast. Each whiff of the aroma is like heaven. I swear I did not think somethin could smell this ripe in fresh, it was divine. Rich and sweet oranges, hints of mango and passion fruit. Soo fresh it was absurd. I have never smelled anything like this before. It was just perfect. Even warming just seemed to bring it out more, rich decadent citrus aromas packed with a candy like sweetness that had me in tears literally, super soft and delicate flavor just really had me on the ground. I cold not have envisioned this coming across any fuller or better, it was just unreal. Orange slices just grip the palate and refuse to let go as the deep and fresh resin like flavor. Each sip was like gold, smooth, mellow and suprisingly well balanced, I am in awe of this beer. Each sip was better then the one before. Manoes and ripe grapefruit now coming through, papaya and star fruit, just everything that you could imagine as being sweet, citrusy and fresh was thrown in here without regard. This is what I want, every day, all day. 8 perfect my ass as you drink it like water. Three pints down in an hour as I sit on the deck and relax. Never had I had a big beer be soo drinkable.

Overall I am speechless. This is what it is all about. Do not stop, go get this, I am at a loss.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to Solomon420 for a growler of this when it first came out.

Pours hazy orange with an off white head.

The smell is exceptional. Mango, pineapple, pine, grapefruit, oranges, hop resin, apricots. No alcohol or malt to speak of, which is what I want in my DIPA.

Taste follows suit with tons of tropical fruit, pine, resin, and soe apricot. Just the right amount of bitterness that isn't overwhelming.

Really nice and dry. Extremely easy to drink for a DIPA.

Just an exceptional IIPA. I had this a couple weeks after a Pliny the Younger growler and this wins out easily.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Fresh bottle as an extra from pastradul! Thanks buddy!

Pour: bright straw yellow, slightly golden with an opaque orange hue. Very carbonated, bright white head dinishes into a soapy ring around the glass' edge.

Nose: Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, strong piney resin. This is a blast of tropical fruit goodness with a great piney zing. This smells better than any IIPA I've had, outside of Abrasive.

Taste: The taste is insane. All the above tropical fruits coming in sweet with a middle consisting of very strong, resinous citrus (cite duh) hops and a great caramel malted backbone. Sort of dry on the end with a great piney lingering taste.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, slightly dry and a perfect Inbetween of oily and watery.

Overall: This IIPA is so amazing. I could drink it in lightning speed if I had a never ending supply. It's SO good.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a light gold. Actually kind of surprisingly light for a DIPA. The beer has a nice foamy head that sticks around. The aroma is pungent and hoppy. Tons of hops, no noticeable malt on the nose. The hops are citrusy and floral, there is some pineapple on the nose and just a hint of pine. The taste is pure hops but there is noticeable sweetness on the palette. This is actually less hop forward than I was expecting. The balance is good, not too sweet with a nice refreshing burst of hops.

The more I drink this down the more I love the hops. A nice, pleasant bitterness and a hop aroma that smells like what beer perfume would smell like it it were an awesome idea instead of a horrible one. I'd get this again, if only I could!

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottled opened on 8/26 and poured into my RR pint glass.

A- Liquid gold. About two fingers of off white head leave lots of lacing down the glass. Looks really great.

S- I could smell this form a mile away. A barrage of citra hops. Pineapple, mango, pine. Amazing. Smells just like a Nelson from Alpine and, well, that (up to this date) has been my favorite smelling beer ever.

T- Wow. Amazing. So juicy. Follows the nose with the mango, pineapple, orange, pine. It's like having a ripe fruit salad in Hawaii. What an amazing aftertaste. It just lingers forever.

M- So smooth. Perfect carbonation. Medium bodied. So creamy and chewy.

O- I really hate how hyped this beer was, and yet I understand it. It combines the best of west coast IPAs and, all in all, surpasses what other breweries do so well. The best double IPA I've ever had. I'd love to see this as a year-round beer, but we'll see. another amazing beer from Kern River.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a pint glass on 11/1/11; reviewed from notes. Shared with two friends. Thanks to Vanlingleipa for this amazing brew!

A- Copper-orange with a full, one finger, white head that lasted throughout and left a sticky lacing behind. Light penetration was complete.

S- Fruity: citrus, grapefruit, and mango.

T- Slightly bitter with the full range of the fruits present in the aroma.

M- Medium with ample carbonation.

O- Honestly, I wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype, but it did! The only disappointment I have is that I couldn't get two bottles.

An outstanding example of a Double Indian Pale Ale

A: Straw colored, clean with medium fluffy white head

S: Very citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit

T: Hoppy, delicate, citrus prevails again

M: Fine carbonation, crisp, clean finish

O: This is one of the best beers that I have had the opportunity to try. Blows similar double/imperial IPAs out of the water.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

So...I got a couple of 500ml bottles, filled today, the same day the Growler was opened, from tkunkel, as he was passing through Casper ( he BMd me asking if I wanted some of this beer called Citra. He saw it on my Wants List.) Hehe....thanks, Tom!. He didn't WANT anything in return but I gave him a bottle of something anyway....

I drank the first bottle with no intention of reviewing it. Now on to the second bottle:

A gorgeous cloudy dark orange colour, small but decent head of foam, and even some lacing. Kind of reminds me of a cask ale in appearance. Yep. Me likes.

The smell grabs my nose immediately. Loads of fruits well represented and actually very varied and hard for me to name but I'll do my best: Apricots, grapefruit, oranges, peach...could be more and man, the nose is strong and powerful and OH so inviting.

First sip, sort of, and the numerous fruits in the smell are ALL there! Beyond that, it has a dry hopped kind of bitterness that adds a welcome punch. Not much malt here but by golly, with all the fruitiness and dry hop type of bitterness, you'd *think* this would be a real palate destroyer but...it bloody well isn't! Remarkable.

The body is fairly light for the style and the carbonation is on the lower side as well. Not what *should* add up to a great mouthfeel but it is suiting me well enough and it's going to get a good score. Can't argue with what the mouth tells me. ;^)

Drinkability? This tasty son of a gun is hiding the abv like no other! No warming, no sign of it in the smell or taste. Man! This is one dangerously drinkable DIPA. From Kern River. Whom I've had beers from before and they all tickled me pink. Add Citra DIPA to *that* list as in, this is one of THE best beers in the US today!

Another super thanks again to Tom!!

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bomber poured into SA glass. No bottle dating.

Honey-orange, clear liquid, one-finger white, fluffy head.

Fine hoppy fragrance of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, mango. Fantastic.

The aroma is true as the first sip reveals a wonderful hop experience. Smooth bitterness full of mango, lemon/lime and grapefruit envelopes the taste buds like a velvet glove. Tingling, fruity hop bitterness lingers. Not bitter, but smooth.

Medium body, nicely carbonated. Nothing to complain about.

This one is a winner throughout. The alcohol is well hidden and the Citra hops explode. These hops are becoming my favorite as they impart such a citrus, fruity flavor, reminding me of growing up in Ft Lauderdale and the abundance of enjoyable fresh tropical fruits in my backyard.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

A Copper honey color. Creamy white head. Can't see through. Murky.
S Hits u in the face from far even. Hypnotized. Wish there was a cologne this smell. Floral. Fruity. Hops are super active in the nose. Pineapple tropical smell
M amazing. So well balanced it's ridiculous. U can taste every thing in the same second. There is no stairstepping. Everything hits you right away and it is spectacular. Fruity pinapple hops light bitterness fading very quickly. Fruity not over sweet flavor lingers last. Very pleasing. The hops bite at just the right time. Subjective I'm sure. Just really like this dipa. Every thing seems to mesh so well. The fruity balance of the hops and sugar content all seem to compliment the amount of malt.
O I've had this beer too many times and when it's not available I wonder if I was just in a good mood and overrated it. Yet every time we get it I love every second I spend. My favorite dipa for sure and I compare everything to it. Sorry if this is too ass kissy. It's just that good for me. I quote. I want to make ice blocks out of it and skate on it and then melt it in summer and drink it. Ok too far. I can say the first time I tried i felt like eh it's just another dipa no big deal but more tastings and comparing really do this beer justice

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

First off, this beer was enjoyed at an EPIC stout tasting (KtG, BT, BA Speedway, DL, Jackie O's BA DA, etc...) and this was probably the best beer we had that night. It's just outrageously delicious.

A: Hazy dark citrus orange in color with a nice white bubbly head that fades to a nice layer of foam on the surface. The color makes me want to bathe in it. So beautiful 4.5

S: This stuff should be sold to beer geeks as a sexual pheromone. The aroma on this is just outrageous! First pop of the cap and the waft of tropical/exotic fruits and hops hits your nose immediately. This is a full on aromatic assault of citrus, mangoes, peaches, grapefruit, pineapple and some resinous hoppy citrus hops. Holy shit this stuff smells like sex in a bottle. 5

T&M : Not surprisingly, the flavor follows the nose almost to a tee. A full on mouthgasm of hoppy citrus flavors, mangoes, peaches, pineapple, orange, and enough malt backbone to perfectly compliment everything. The malt backbone almost has a honey like quality but in no way is sweet like honey. Beautiful. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, yet crisp and amazingly refreshing. This is highly, HIGHLY drinkable. This beer is liquid art. 5 / 4.5

O: I don't even know what to say. I think the brewer stumbled upon one of the greatest DIPA recipes known to man. Everything about this is damn near perfect in every way. I can't recommend this highly enough. It's definitely in my top 5 as of right now.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at Toronado (SD) and had to seek out a growler. Thanks Damian (Solomon420)!

A: Pours from growler with a substantial white frothy head. The color is a deep cloudy burnt orange color, really opaque.

S: The first crack of the growler releases a crazy citrusy fruit and hop aroma. One of the best smelling beers I've had.

T: Like the aroma I get a lot of sweet fruits like grapefruit and mango, followed by an extremely fresh hop bitterness. I can taste the Amarillo hop characteristics and am guessing the fruity hop flavors are coming from the Citra, as I've never had them before.

M: Great amount of carbonation, and the viscosity just adds to the flavors.

D: The drinkability is amazing. I know people always say this but I honestly blew through my first glass way too quick. It was gone in about 20 minutes, without even a hint of the 8% abv.

Please Kern River find a way to bottle this stuff! I would love to be able to get a bomber of Citra, the perfect fruity and refreshing DIPA for summer.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Orangey gold, mostly clear with an ever so slight haze. Soft white foam of medium retention.

S: Pure tropical fruit, mangos and whatever else your mind's eye conjures up. But, the point is how pronounced the fruitiness is and how genuinely inviting. Nothing detracts from the scent, not sweetness, not alcohol, nothing is out of balance. While, you know there's some alcohol, it only as a subtle side show.

T: Well the first taste continues the perfect experience. My initial thoughts are the perfect tropical fruit notes in the scent carries over into the taste, and the malt sweetness of the DIPA style is muted. There's mostly a tangy, citrusiness to the aftertaste, very pleasant. Bitterness is non-existant. The mouthfeel is proper, not at all thick and in fact could be a tad fully.

O: Second best beer I've had this year (first right now is Alpine-Expo Hoppiness). This brew's outstanding fruit profile almost says to put it in the produce section of your local grocery store. More and more brewers are jumping on the Citra hop bandwagon for good reason. Plus, the level of drinkability is off the charts, the taste flavors keep me coming back for more. I am a HUGE fan of Kern River when I can trade for it, and consider mysself lucky to have gotten a taste of Citra.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Got this in a trade, and have been excited to try it as I love these Tropical Fruit IPA's.

A: Slightly hazy yellow/orange beer with a great head and impressive lacing.

S: Tropical fruits; Mango, Passionfruit abound incredible aroma on this.

T: Everything it smeels like and more, nice clean malt profile that is just enough there while letting the hops(as they should be) be the star of this show. And what a show, low upfront bitterness but some much hop flavor it is amazing.

M: Perfect carbonation level along with a solid but clean malt profile that allows the hops to do their thing.

O: The best DIPA I have ever had, just ahead of fresh Heady Topper. Need to try it side by side with HF Galaxy and possibly rethink that.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company