Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,872
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Ratings: 1,487 | Reviews: 362
4.27/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Alex for sharing this tasty beverine.

This beer pours a cloudy golden liquid with a nice pocked up sticky layer of off white head.

The nose is soapy, dank, and cheesy with tons of grapefruit and other citrus.

The Taste follows with blasts of dank, soapy hops. Some mellow sweet malts are poking through, but the hops are killing it here. This is a serious grapefruit bomb. Tasty stuff!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent level of carbonation.

A damn tasty DIPA for sure. Thanks again to Alex for bringing this over to Joe's.

4.27/5  rDev -6.8%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Craig was nice enough to share this beer, but then he and others at the tasting were absolutely horrified when I revealed that I thought this beer was...wait for it...really good. As in, really good, not the most incredible liquid ever produced in the history of the world. They attempted to rip up my notes and torture me to the point where I changed my score to an A+, but I resisted.

Pours hazy golden with a nice one-finger off-white head and good retention.

Really citrusy hop aroma - grapefruit and orange - with sweet malt and some vegetable notes.

Flavor is orange and grapefruit, some veggies and resinous hops. Just a little malt character.

Nice palate, a real wrecker. Medium-full body.

Pretty good overall, drinkable. Thanks, Craig! This was really good. Like A- good. Better than probably 90% of DIPAs.

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium globe. Pours a hazy dark gold/orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head. The aroma is very strong, a lot of fruits (pineapple, citrus, mango) along with some pine notes. The taste is very much like the great aroma, a lot of tropical fruits and some complimenting malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and crisp, an easy drinker for sure, but the lack of bitterness and the fact that it was lacking complexity in the finish was a bit of a letdown.

A very nice DIPA for sure, but not quite the world-beater I was expecting.

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Citra is burnished bronze in the glass. The nose is pineapple, mango, sticky weed and a bit of jasmine.

The flavor starts off with mango and papaya. It moves through some dry grassiness. The maltiness stands up to the hip punch nicely. Superb mouthfeel.

There is also a bit of unadulterated bitterness that detracts slightly from the experience.

This is a great DIPA, but didn't stand up to the considerable hype. I don't think there's any major faults here, but the goal posts are constantly moving as craft beer ups its game ever faster.

I think some newer entrants -- like Heavy Mettle, The Crusher and Locust Reign -- have set a new standard.

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for sharing a growler of this one last night. It's one I've been looking forward to for a long, long time.

Right off the bat I was ridiculously excited when it was clear that there was still a ton of carbonation when we cracked open the growler. It poured a cloudy orangey-brown color with a decent amount of head, perhaps the perfect look for a DIPA. The smell was full of intense dank hops and tropical fruit notes, fantastic!

Unfortunately the taste came up a bit short. And that's not to say that this is a bad beer by any stretch, but for a beer so hyped, I thought the flavor was a bit one-dimensional. The dank hops really carried through from the smell into the flavor well, but I thought it wasn't nearly as fruity as I expected, nor did it have much sweetness at all. It wasn't very bitter at all, just fresh hops all the way. The hop flavor was great, but I expected more.

The beer was medium-bodied, not too syrupy or carbonated, but it was one of the driest DIPAs I've ever had. It was very drinkable and smooth, definitely one I could put down a few of.

Overall, this was a very good beer, but with the rating it has on this site, I expected it to be one of the best DIPAs I've ever had, and it came up a bit short. I would definitely drink it again if given the chance, but I'm not sure I'd ever go through what it takes to get a growler of it to get more.

4.29/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Beer Revolution for Kern River day during SF Beer Week.

A: Served a hazy citrus gold with little head or lacing.
S: Super sweet, fruity, and slightly dank with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. I could smell the fruit coming from the glass almost a table length away.
T: Super juicy, just like the nose, with a super citra citrus taste. Grapefruit is predominant, but there are notes of tobacco in the finish. The aftertaste is almost leafy or tea-like and very bitter. The flavors are overall tingly and bitter.
M: Medium bodied, tingly carbonation, and no alcohol warmth.
D: Super fresh tasting but pretty darn bitter, not that it's a bad thing. I was pretty impressed, but it could use some polishing on the back end. It's not the best, but it's highly drinkable and I wish I could get more of it more often.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to Deuane for hooking us up with this growler of hoppy goodness from CA.

Pours a slightly hazed copper, with a finger of rich bright-white head. Very nice looking full flare-up on this, which drenches the sides of the glass with heavy lacing. The aroma has a big hoppy bouquet on it, full of floral hops, spice, pine cones, a bit of herbal dankness, and a ton of DEEP tropical fruit character. There is some stiff toasted graininess behind all of those hops but most of the sweetness here is mostly coming from all of that juicy citrus character.

Those same hops blast off in the taste, being rich with spice, lighter resins, and citrus. A combo of tropical sweetness (mango & pineapple) and more bitter offerings (grapefruit) really gives the profile a biting and tangy fruitiness. The malt backbone gives comes off as more of a toasted grainy presence, offering up some balance but not necessarily a whole lot of sweetness. Just enough to really let those hops come to the forefront and shine. Very bitter and gritty finish on this, with spice and grapefruit especially lingering hard on the tongue. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, large and sharp feeling creaminess to this that fills the palate up with flavor. There is some gentle warmth to the body but that 8% ABV is really fantastically hidden here.

You know, this was a VERY good DIPA, just dripping with hop flavor and possessing a ridiculously drinkable body for the size of it. This just lacked a certain bright feeling "pop" to the flavors that I could tell should have been there but had probably diminished some after a cross country journey. I could believe that this on draft or in a freshly filled growler would definitely get this up into World Class status. This is still very much recommended checking out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to stupac2 for hooking me up with this one. Released a week ago today. Enjoyed on 08/27/11.

A - Pours a bright golden amber color, clear with a one finger white head with large bubbles. Leaves splotchy lacing.

S - All Citra hops here. Very fruity, orange, grapefruit, pineapple.

T - Citrusy hop presence is there throughout. Grapefruit, mango are present as well. It tastes great, but it's a little one dimensional. Might like a little more sweetness up front. Finishes nice and clean and fruity.

M - Mouthfeel is very good. Pretty creamy with good carbonation.

O - Overall, this is an excellent DIPA. Just not quite as complex as Pliny but quite enjoyable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review in a WHILE! I'm now going to start reviewing in my own format and not worry about the Appearance, Smell, Taste, Mouthfeel, & Overall "Format" I've used so boringly in the past. Leggo

Bottle came from a trade with HoppySuds (in person in CA) and I shared this 22oz brew with my cousin Mark in a tasting held at my new house in Benton Park. This was one of the few (besides D4) that we finished the whole bottle during the tasting. There was no markings on the bottle of any bottling date.

The appearance was made up of a big, long lasting 1 and 1/2 finger head that was very frothy with bubbles. Had a deep orange/copper colored body with slight hazing. Left great lacing behind.

In the aroma, tons of fruit, hops, and mango are all thrown hard. Very great and appropriate for this Double hopped up IPA.

Flavor? Big Hopped (American variety), Fruity, and has a Medium-High bitterness level. Not too much complexity.

The mouthfeel starts with a medium to high body is well pronounced with hop. Medium carbonation and finishes with TONS of citra, hence the name.

Cheers to this one! Not sure I'd throw it onto one of the top 10 beers of popular category but it was damn good. Would like to see another bottle of this in my future. Go for it!

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Hazy copper, near white head leaves fast. Some spotty lace.

S - Still prety cold, so smell is somewhat faint. Citrus notes and malt come in pretty heavy, though.

T - When they said it is a close as you can come to chewing on a hop vine, they weren't kidding. Big time citrus, a little tropical fruit, almost a little spicy feel, and of course lots of sweet malt.

M - Medium to full body, good carb, nice even balance.

D - It's a pretty darned good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazy orange copper with a long lasting whitish head. Tons of lacing left throughout.

S - Big citrusy, lemony grapefruit aromas, light breadiness and subtle sweet malts. Light alcoholic smell as it warms, but it is not detracting.

F/M - Slightly sweet bready malts followed by tons of huge, citrusy, piney hops. Grapefruit and slightly resinous. Moderately firm bitterness with medium body and moderate carbonation.

O - Very nice IIPA, I could drink this all night long. Good thing the wife is driving :)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with JLindros and reviewed from notes. Poured into a Kate The Great tulip.

A - Poured a clear dark golden copper honey hue with a one finger white head that leaves a sudsy blanket and side lacing.

S - Super, super dank citra hops and light malty sweetness. Aroma is very enticing.

T - Not quite as dank more light, flavourful citrus and grapefruit with super faint tropical notes. A touch more malt sweetness than I had expected.

M - Mouthfeel is awesome, silky, velvety DIPA. Top notch.

O - Overall this is a stellar DIPA, but, I didnt really think it lived up to the hype. Maybe I'm just spoiled by what Hill Farmstead offers

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler of the new batch (from February 10, 2011, I think) courtesy of mrbubbler. Thanks! Opened on February 25, 2011.

I expected this to be the color of the sun. Instead, it's flame orange meets sinopia (reddish-brown/ochre) bodied with a nice full finger head that leaves long vertical lines of lacing down the glass. The second pour yields a fantastically thick, jiggling (like jello) head.

Straight citrus, at first, with candied fruit and grapefruit. As it opens, tropical fruit notes are birthed from the glass. Tangerine, apricot, mango, some candied sugar.

Taste is a diminished self of the nose. Candied orange, citrus, and sugar cookie, with just the smallest hint of grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Tangerine joins the party. It isn't as worthy-of-thirteen-lines-spelling-out-citrus as I anticipated, and I wonder if this batch just isn't as up-to-snuff as some previous ones or if my expectations were too high. That being said, the flavor profile plays to my weaknesses, and I'm rather smitten with it.

Medium-bodied and unbearably smooth and drinkable. It isn't the thickest, stickiest DIPA I've had, but the dryness on the mid-to-late palate leaves me wanting more. Some lingering bitterness on the finish.

Just an exceptional DIPA and narrowly-tailored to my proclivities to boot. I'm surprised the taste isn't more citrus and tropical fruit forward given its reputation, but it's easy to enjoy nonetheless and a lower score would misrepresent its quality.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

APPEARANCE:
On tap at Downtown Johnny Browns. Pours a cloudy orange color with big white head. The lacing is insane.
AROMA:
Huge mango and passion fruit smells more like juice than beer
FLAVOR:
Orange and sugar cookies to start, then candied orange peel, the tropical flavors to finish.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body but finishes a bit thin. That is my biggest complaint.
DRINKABILITY:
Extremely drinkable but this tastes more like a soda than beer. I find it hard to believe that there is any alcohol in there.

4.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Huge thanks to leschkie for hitting me up with this bottle...

A: Pours a golden straw/yellow that is slightly hazy. There is a pure white head that settles quickly along the top of the beer. There is a bit of lacing left as it drinks, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S: The nose is mild lemony citrus, and tropical fruits. It smells like a Caribbean farmers market. Very little malt, and no huge pine note to speak of.

T: The flavors in this beer are really nice. It has a crisp citrus bite right up front, but it transitions into delicious tropical notes (mango, pineapple, and guava). The finish is smooth and sweet. Very pleasant.

M: Medium to light bodied beer. It's crisp and refreshing. The flavors linger for a bit, and when they fade, this beer begs you to take another sip.

O: This beer is really well done. I don't think it deserves all of the hype and insane accolades that it's been given, but it's a solid beer. It's a great refreshing beer, and it stands with some of the better DIPAs, but it didn't completely blow me away.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with a on finger white head

smell: grapefruit, citrus, orange, mango, caramel, malts

taste: citrus, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very easy drinkable dipa. so glad I finally was able to try this beer.

Cheers,
The cpj

4.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Big props to Jose for hooking me up here.

Pours a hazy dark honey gold with hints of orange. About two fingers of head rises, good sign with a growler, but it fades pretty quickly, Light lacing.

The aroma is kind of light but its nice. Good balance of light sweet citrus on the front with a pronounced but mellow hoppiness. The hops are present throughout, light pine.

The taste is super malty for an ipa, grapefruit, pineapple, light hop finish, a little pine on the very end.

The feel is ok, easy drinker.

Overall, this is interesting, tasty and easy to drink. However, not much of an ipa let alone a double ipa. Doesn't have a ton of hops, so that's a little of a let down. If it was just a bit more hoppy to balance out the malt it would be awesome.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Split a bomber with Walows. Been dying to try this for ages but our Kern River fishing trip/beer journey has yet to pan out...

I popped the cap and the aroma instantly jumped out of the bottle... Smelled incredible. (Ditto on the pineapple express. Good call!) The color is gorgeous as well, a deep gold and crystal clear.

But the taste disappointed a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty beer, but I suppose with such high expectations it's only natural to be let down, just a little. The drinkability is incredibly high... I don't like the bit of glycerin in the mouthfeel, but otherwise the alcohol is very, very well-hidden.

Overall, it's a great beer.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very great beer. I can see why it is rated so well. Everything you want in a IPA. Great nose, terrific citrus flavored. Very floral. Love this beer. The best part of this beer is the actual taste. Some beers like zombie dust have that over the top great nose that you could never match as far as flavor. But this is a tasty one.

Poured into a tulip.

Right off the bat, the aroma of this beer was incredible. There was juicy mango and ripe pineapple scents, and it had a pleasant floral character that was accented by some malt sweetness. Just thoroughly delightful.

The appearance was top notch as well. The creamy white head crowning the cloudy, golden amber body left behind solid lacing.

Now the flavor was kind of a let down after my eyes and olfactory senses were so pleased. It felt very one dimensional to me relative to its aroma. Sure there was tropical fruit flavors from the Citra hops, but it felt watered down in a way. I picked up citrus flavor and a honey biscuit sweetness to the end. Flavorful, but not bursting with flavor like the aroma led me to believe.

The mouth-feel was silky smooth, and slightly tongue prickling. Somewhat on the thin bodied side with a medium/low level of carbonation. A little more body would have been my preference, but this beer was nothing if not highly drinkable. I literally wanted to sip this beer again after every sip. Which is great, but I like a finish that lasts a little longer.

Overall the amazing nose and stellar lacing set my expectations for the taste a little too high. Nonetheless a solid offering that doesn't warrant an A+ rating but is most certainly the best Citra hop offering I have had to date.

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip. I believe this was bottled about a week ago.

Appearance: Pours a very nearly opaque deep amber/brown and leaves a finger of white head which falls steadily to a layer atop the beer, leaving some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: A nice balance of hops and malts (plenty of hops though!). Pine, resin, light honey, citrus rinds, some mango.

Taste: Really matches the smell well. Resin, light pine, honey and mango. Plenty of malts as well. Very well balanced flavors, with a quite smooth finish.

Mouth-feel: Moderate carbonation with a nice medium, creamy body, Matches the style very well.

Overall: This is a very nice, well balanced DIPA. Very smooth and easy drinking but with lots of flavor. A well crafted brew.

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%

I had this in a pint glass poured from a 22oz bomber.

A -Looks nice, nice orange to amber color, nice, creamy head, incredible lacing.

S: WOW, this beer smells great, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. As soon as I smelled it I knew I would like this beer.

T: This beer tastes very good, right up there with some of the best in this category. It did smell better than it tasted though.

M:Nice carbonation.

O:This is an excellent beer. A notch below some of my favorites, but an excellent beer that lives up to its hype.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Bought from the brewery and brought to my house. Consumed with friends this past Tuesday. Poured into a snifter glass.

A - Hazy orange color with a finger width of pillowy head. There is lots of lacing, and a nice ring settles to the top of the beer as I drink it.

S - Orange, pineapple, citrus, guava. All of the tropical fruits are covered. There's a tiny bit of sweetness and just a touch of pine on the finish. As the beer opens up, just a bit of boozy/peppery smell comes out too.

T - Lots of citrus hops with a touch of pine. Definitely hope forward with the pine lingering. It follows the nose very well. And just like the smell, as the beer opens, it becomes a tad bit peppery, and just a slight boozy finish.

M - A rather light mouthfeel, which is different for a DIPA. There is ample carbonation, maybe a tad too much. My tongue is lift a bit prickly.

D - Uhhhmmm, yeah. This is definitely drinkable. Not the best DIPA I've ever had, but solid, and I'd never pass on it.

4.35/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Consumed 3 bottles of this within 2-3 weeks of the 8/18 release/sale.

A - Attractive gold color with a fluffy white 2 finger head. Nice lacing and retention throughout. It certainly looks tasty.

S - Primarily citrus with a nice dank pine thrown over the top. Mostly a tropical aroma. It is a bit more muted than I would have thought.

T - Citrus, orange, tropical fruits with a bit of pine. Very nice taste. A bit subtle but the balance works very well for drinkability. I could drink this all night.

M - Creamy and full bodied. Standard feel and carbonation for a DIPA.

O - Glad to finally get a chance to try this. I was expecting more from its legendary status. It was a bit more subdued than I would have hoped. Still a very tasty DIPA. I'd love to try it on tap.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

2010 release poured on-tap at the brewery in Kernville into a pint glass. The beer has a bright yello/gold color to it, with no head. The beer has a citrus accent to the pine and hops smells of their regular IPA. On tasting, you get a very instant flavor of grapefruit, with the hops and floral flavors of their flagship IPA underneath for balance. There is a bit of a sour and bitter aftertaste, but again remains balanced. Despite the finish, the beer is still pretty easy to drink. Decent brew.

EDIT: Original scoring from above review was A:4, S:4, T:4, M:3.5, D:3.5 for a total score of B+/3.9. The current grade of my review is based on the review below of this year's release.

Tasted again, during the release weekend 2011, the beer was poured on-tap at Kern River Brewing Company into a pint glass. The beer is a hazy, bright orange-gold coloring with a thin film of head. Heavy nose of orange and lemon zest, hops, and basil. Heavy hops flavor all over the tongue, bitter and slightly sour. Citrus sweet flavors balance well, and don't overpower. The beer is smooth and robust in mouth, with heavy hop aftertaste. The finish is dry, and puckers the mouth, begging for a follow-up drink. Very enjoyable and pleasant to drink, it is delicious!

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company