Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,747
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium globe. Pours a hazy dark gold/orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head. The aroma is very strong, a lot of fruits (pineapple, citrus, mango) along with some pine notes. The taste is very much like the great aroma, a lot of tropical fruits and some complimenting malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and crisp, an easy drinker for sure, but the lack of bitterness and the fact that it was lacking complexity in the finish was a bit of a letdown.

A very nice DIPA for sure, but not quite the world-beater I was expecting.

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for setting me up with a bottle of this no questions asked and BHOBS for shuttling it back to the SCV!

Pours a murky honey orange with a huge 3 inch puffy tan head that packs down into a dense island of foam. Thick chunks of lace randomly line the glass on the drink down. Smell is incredible with lots of tropical fruit, peach, apricot, mango, and some citrus zest. Taste is of sweet malt, tropical fruit, peach/apricot, and mango. There is a slightly assertive citrus zest hop bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a light crispness and a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a fantastic DIPA with the wonderful tropical fruit aromas and flavors I have come to love in hoppy beers. I am very glad I got to try this one as I had absolutely no luck getting a bottle myself.

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

From the release a couple weeks ago. Tulip glass.

A: Pours clear, bright golden with two fingers of off white head. Some splotches of lacing and good retention which leaves a thin film throughout the entire pour.

S: Phenomenal citrus (orange, lemon) and tropical (pineapple, mango) aromas. A really unique spritzy lemon or something which gives it a great brightness. Some supporting caramel malt which blends beautifully with the forward hops. Really unique, and one of the best smelling IPAs I've had.

T: Similar, with a little floral pine on mid-palate, again with a sizeable dose of supporting caramel malt and some bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium body and light carbonation which makes it super smooth. Reminds me of their 5th Anniversary in terms of really low carbonation, which leads to better sessionability but only a little crispness.

O: World class. This is a big, juicy van of an DIPA.

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%

I had this in a pint glass poured from a 22oz bomber.

A -Looks nice, nice orange to amber color, nice, creamy head, incredible lacing.

S: WOW, this beer smells great, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. As soon as I smelled it I knew I would like this beer.

T: This beer tastes very good, right up there with some of the best in this category. It did smell better than it tasted though.

M:Nice carbonation.

O:This is an excellent beer. A notch below some of my favorites, but an excellent beer that lives up to its hype.

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Brownish copper color with a fluffy off-white head that keeps a healthy cap, lacing the glass nicely as it goes down.

N- Huge bitter grapefruit aromas with elements of the rind, pith, and flesh. Juicy citrus accents with soft pineapple and tropical fruit gummy bears underneath. Just a hint of toasted grain way in the back. Floral, herbal fumes start to appear as the beer warms.

T- Clean, sweet toasted grain provides a thick base for the hoppy goodness that ensues. A firm bitterness cuts the sweet malt with notes of herbs, grass, pine resin, and grapefruit rind. Dry biscuity malt emerges from the bitterness, while juicy citrus and tropical fruit keep the mouth watering through the mid palate. The finish is long and fairly dry with lingering grain and a lasting grassy, herbal, piney bitterness that leaves you with fresh hop breath.

M- Medium to full bodied, slightly syrupy and sticky. Moderate carbonation and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, a solid DIPA. I much prefer the bottle version of this to the growler. Always a treat to have, and I look forward to the next batch if I can't get my hands on any more this round.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Opened a box from BA Tieman today expecting some Pliny or something similar and pulled this baby out. Thanks again, Dan!

Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A - Really nice golden color with an awesome soapy, bright white head on top. Nice lacing as well.

S - smells of delicious garlic, some cat piss, fresh cut grass.... basically it's a bold, bright, fresh citra BOMB! Really nice.

T - as the nose predicted but 50x more intense and delicious. Bitter hops, malty balance, and all the citra you can handle. It's about 10 degrees out right now but it's spring time in this glass. Really awesome.

M - extremely smooth considering the nice bite this has. Creamy and the perfect amount of body as it goes down.

O - this beer has a A+ and it's easy to understand why. One of the best I've tasted in my life.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

4.58/5  rDev 0%

A- 2 fingers frothy white head. Hazy, golden orange zest color. Lace holds on to the glass. This is what a IIPA should look like.

S- Not overly fragrant which surprised me. I have been opening some nose bombs lately but I walked a couple laps around my kitchen with my nose in it. What aroma there is hits me pleasantly. I smell the warm citra hops. A little honey back, some pineapple.

T- Very, very good. I think the label is misleading. This is not like chewing on a hopvine. There are others out there for that, instead Citra is very balanced. I don't know how fresh mine is, mind you but the flavors are all there. Pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, mango, I think the fact that sweet, sugar forward fruit is detectable is evidence of balance.

M- This is where it stands out. BONE dry. Which is how I like it. Finish is the cleanest I have ever tasted. Nice carbonation.

O- This thing is a legend, I had high expectations and they were met. It wasn't a blow my face off this is the best beer I have ever had reaction. But a damn this is one of the better beers I have had reaction.

3.75/5  rDev -18.1%