Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,703
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)

4.58/5  rDev 0%

A- 2 fingers frothy white head. Hazy, golden orange zest color. Lace holds on to the glass. This is what a IIPA should look like.

S- Not overly fragrant which surprised me. I have been opening some nose bombs lately but I walked a couple laps around my kitchen with my nose in it. What aroma there is hits me pleasantly. I smell the warm citra hops. A little honey back, some pineapple.

T- Very, very good. I think the label is misleading. This is not like chewing on a hopvine. There are others out there for that, instead Citra is very balanced. I don't know how fresh mine is, mind you but the flavors are all there. Pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, mango, I think the fact that sweet, sugar forward fruit is detectable is evidence of balance.

M- This is where it stands out. BONE dry. Which is how I like it. Finish is the cleanest I have ever tasted. Nice carbonation.

O- This thing is a legend, I had high expectations and they were met. It wasn't a blow my face off this is the best beer I have ever had reaction. But a damn this is one of the better beers I have had reaction.

3.75/5  rDev -18.1%

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I was fortunate to get two fresh bottles this week. First time with this uber-hyped cult hero. To be honest I was sure this was just going to be another really good DIPA that gets the uber hype so associated with anything made in limited supply that is equally very well made, in my wine world it is the Screaming Eagles, Schraders and SQN'S. To my pleasant surprise this is the Schrader of the craft beer world. The first thing that told me this was special was the nose, huge hoppy, all stinky and sweet, simply amazing. The color is a nice clear golden yellow with a medium head with nice lacing as I drink down. The flavor profile is awesome, sweet tropical fruit, loads of grapefruit,crushed orange peel and a oyster shell mineralality underline the overall package. The mouth feel is unlike any other, tangy carbonation that leaves bone dry and ready for another quaff. I am so glad I finally was able to taste this beer. And I will say it is worth every bit the well deserved hype it gets.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Finally got my hands on this one, a fresh bottle from the Thanksgiving release. It pours a really fantastic honey straw color, hints of amber, hints of goldenrod with an aggressive 3 fingers of soapy head on top. This guy sports some wicked lacing and a nice layer of soapy head sits atop the entire way down, very impressed at first glance. The smell is overwhelming, an insane amount of dank hops hit the nose, grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple, some bubble gum all play a role, but none crowd the other out and a nice soft grain straw aroma seals the deal, just enough to remind you there IS malt in this. Nice bitter kick of hops on the tongue, earthier than the nose leads on, resinous pine, some sappy flavors, but it doesn't let you forget the citrus, big grapefruit and zesty acidic flavors come to the show, a hint of biscuit, but it's nothing more than the faintest of counterbalances. It really pushes the envelope of hoppiness, Pliny the Elder does a great job of having that mad hoppy thing going for it, but it reigns them in exceptionally well, this reminds me more of Hop Riot in the sense that it's just overwhelmingly hopped, but Citra sets itself apart from all challengers with the perfect balance of flavors and remains quite drinkable. It's got a nice body, a bit soapy from the head, but overall, really nice, not too big and chewy and nowhere near too thing.

Verdict: Breathtaking. I don't even care to have the conversation of Pliny vs Citra vs Heady Topper or anything. I just want to sit down, and drink this bad boy, and let that be it. It's exceptionally crafted, and masterfully balanced, the malt is just enough to keep the hops in check, but they are in full force, and I'm loving it.

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from the bottle (batch released on 11/25/11) into tulip.

Pours an amber/orange/peach color, semi-cloudy with a white dense two finger head which dissipates into a thin layer of foam on the surface. Lacing is sticky and slow to drip. It's not as clear as some other beers but I happen to like that.

Smell is incredible with this beer. Huge citrus notes from sweet valencia orange, light manila mango, to mandarin orange. Faint whiff of alcohol that's predominantly masked by the sweet citrus. What a joy to smell.

The taste is filled with lemon peel, mandarin orange, with a bright and dry bitterness that's somewhat reminiscent of over-steeped green tea. Bright floral notes dance with the citrus.

Mouthfeel is crisp without being too carbonated. There's no shortage of bubbles but you're not inundated with that harsh finish in the throat that plagues some beers of this type.

I feel like such a homer writing this review because my score suggests it, but I'm truly trying to be objective about this beer. I'm trying to find chinks in the armor, so to speak, but I really can't find any. If i were to find a flaw, it would probably speak more about my taste preferences than the beer itself. I love this beer for what it is, an amazing, peerless citrus bomb.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%