Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,532
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
whartontallboy

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

04-21-2012 00:41:25 | More by whartontallboy
kif

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Updated review. After trying a fresh bottle, I realized my original review was of an older bottle. The hops were much more prevalent. Great flavor, great smell. I now understand the appeal of this beer completely. Overall a great beer that fully lived up to my expectations with the fresh bottle.

---
Original review of the older bottle:

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature

A - Slightly hazy burnt orange/copper color. A nice white head that lingers for awhile, with a very faint lacing.

S - Lots of citrus going on here. Also some peach smells which was very unexpected.

T - I was a bit disappointed here. I was expecting a lot after talking with some other BAs about this beer. After recently drinking some Pliny, Hopslam, and Heady Topper, it was hard not comparing here. I felt that the hops were a bit muted compared to the others. It is nicely balanced, but I feel like it needed more. Maybe its an older bottle as there is no date on it?

M - Medium body that is smooth going down.

O - I can see the appeal here. There is a lot of potential, and it is a solid beer. I just feel that is didn't quite live up to my expectations. I really wonder how old this bottle was since I didn't purchase it in a store myself.

04-18-2012 22:47:03 | More by kif
silentjay

4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a hazy golden with a huge almost pure white head that lasts just a bit yet laces very well.

over-ripe mangoes, tropical fruits galore, grapefruit, citrus fruit medley. very aromatic.

grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, OJ, mangos, a bit of sweetened, dried tropical fruit medley. very little bitterness, tons of hop flavor. finishes with just pure tangy mango flavor.

medium body with fluffy carbonation and I swear to god you can feel citrus fruit pulp.

wow. I loved Just Outstanding, and this is one step better. Kern River is definitely one of the premier west coast IPA brewers, just based on my few experiences.

04-16-2012 05:18:03 | More by silentjay
scottyshades

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Big thanks to Dan25D for sharing

A: Hop-hazed gold color with a frothy white cap. Excellent retention

S: You can smell this beer as soon as you open the cap. Massive tropical fruit (mango/pineapple) blasts your face. A touch of resin. Delicate yet sturdy malt background to balance. Perfect

T: Ahhh man, tons of tropical fruit and a light malt backing. Balanced perfectly for a dipa. Kind of similar to sculpin but with aore pungent hop attack

MF: Smooth and velvety feel to it. Carbonation is low-medium and doesn't ruin the experience like other dipas have a tendency of doing. Alcohol is well hidden throughout

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is the benchmark of dipas in my opinion (move over Pliny)

04-15-2012 03:04:48 | More by scottyshades
Devi0us

04-15-2012 02:22:02 | More by Devi0us
siege06nd

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to epical8 for this guy. Very excited to try this!

Poured into my CBS snifter...

A: An effervescent golden orange, practically glows in the glass. Huge, pillowy two finger white head. Settles down to a quarter finger of thick, gobby blobs. Very good lacing.

S: Well hello Citra hops! Like an orange creamsicle. Loads of orange zest, pineapple, and some tangerine. Also hints of caramel malt and quite a bit of candied spice. Love, love, love it.

T: Candied orange, caramel malt, grapefruit rind, pineapple. Starts off with fairly aggressive citrus hops, then the malt seeps in and evens things out. Finish is smooth, but another fresh blast of hop oils keeps things interesting. Most notable is how light this is for a DIPA. Hops are assertive, but more sweet and spicy than overwhelmingly bitter.

M: This is the only part of the beer that doesn't quite stand up to the rest. Slightly thin and and lacking in complexity. Sweet and hoppy, but perhaps too smooth for its own good, especially for a DIPA.

O: Deserving of the hype. Didn't knock me off my feet right away, but over the entire experience, this greatly impressed me. One of the lightest and smoothest DIPAs I have had the pleasure of drinking. Without a trace of booze at 8.0%, this one is dangerously drinkable. Just a complete showcase for the Citra hop. Really like this.

04-14-2012 20:03:58 | More by siege06nd

geoffsm12

04-11-2012 01:39:01 | More by geoffsm12
mdfb79

4.58/5  rDev 0%

Received a bottle of this today from Whatsarezaf; thanks Reza! Been a big Want of mine for a while so glad to finally snag a bottle from the recent release. Poured into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a hazy dark orange-yellow color with two fingers of lightly off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for two to three minutes and leaves a ton of frothy lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citra hops, mangos, tropical fruits, fruity malts, light grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops. Really awesome nose; just a ton of citra hops and tropical fruits. Near perfect nose for a DIPA, I love it.

t - Tastes of citra hops, tropical fruits, mangos, peaches, floral hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, lemon, light pine hops. Taste is great as well. A little bit maltier then the nose though still a ton of hops too. Great taste, the nose was just perfect.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Some light bitterness but not much considering how hoppy it is. Very nice body.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing DIPA; probably the best Citra DIPA I've had. The nose is perfect, and the taste is great too. Tons and tons of citra hops and tropical fruits, and not much bitterness in the taste at all. An Awesome beer I really love and would love to have again. Up there with Blind Pig, Heady Topper, and Pliny the Elder as one of the best DIPA's I've had.

04-11-2012 00:43:32 | More by mdfb79
derkfromwi

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%

A: 3/4 inch white frothy head that thins and stays for whole beer, clear light-golden color, good carbonation, lacing worthy of a picture

S: Lots of good smells going on here, citrus, mango, pineapple, sweet and fresh hops

T: Very nice blend of hops, flavors of grapefruit, orange peel, pine. Sweetness up front that transforms into a pleasant bitterness that lingers. Lots of hops, but balanced nicely with a malt backbone.

M: Smooth and creamy, very good carbonation, medium-bodied, crisp and clean

O: Very good Double IPA, very drinkable, wishing I had a case of this, gonna have to make room in my top 5 DIPA's for Citra

04-10-2012 04:06:25 | More by derkfromwi
Alieniloquium

4.13/5  rDev -9.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to iHEARTbeer247 for this bottle.

Appearance - Deep orange body. Cloudy with a big white head. Great sticky lacing and a nice layer of foam remains on the beer.

Smell - Hoppy. Clearly. Straight citrus hops with a bready malt in the back. It's really nice, but it's not complex like other great IPAs.

Taste - Yes, it's hoppy, but it's just citrus again. It's pretty damn good, but it's just not very interesting. If the other hop flavors were more prevalent, this could be fantastic. Anyway, the malt flavor is bready and just a touch sweet, but it still manages to be quite imposing on the palate. The flavor drops off abruptly at the end to a very slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - It's crisp, but the hop flavor isn't sustained throughout the drink. Hoppy at first and malty in the back. The one-dimensionality of the hop profile makes it incredibly drinkable, but only because I want the hop flavor back.

Overall - Ok, so everything it has is great, but it doesn't rival the best out there. I'd take a Pliny or Heady Topper over this easily. I want the flavor to build, but it doesn't. If this beer wasn't hyped to hell, I'd be singing its praises.

04-08-2012 23:52:33 | More by Alieniloquium
brystmar

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Nate for tossing in this bottle -- been dying to try Citra for far too long!

My god, this smells incredible: fresh fruits of many varieties, piney hops, sweet malt. Citra hops galore, tons of malt, very fruity. Think I prefer Knuckle Sandwich, but that's just splitting hairs over superlatives. This is utterly delicious and I need more of it, stat!

04-08-2012 22:26:45 | More by brystmar
BeRanger

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Short's pint glass. Thanks to Rau71 for this one.

A: Burnt orange, big couple inches of white foamy head. A good amount of lacing to it as well throughout the drink.

S: Citrus, Orange, Lemon, a burst of tropical fruits. A slight malt/hop smell but its predominantly the citrus.

T: Yum.. Great taste of tropical fruits come through up front and a little of the hopiness on the backbone. Not boozy at all, very smooth.

M: Medium bodied, good amount of carbonation.. Very creamy DIPA - finishes clean and makes you want more.

O: Fantastic IPA. Wish I could get my hands on more of these however this is my last bomber :( Certainly going to be in my Top 5 with Hopslam, Pliny, Heady Topper and Dreadnaught. Well done Kern!

04-08-2012 19:12:15 | More by BeRanger
Gobzilla

4.13/5  rDev -9.8%

A:poured a bright orange in color with golden yellow highlights and a finge of head leaving some good lacing sticking to the glass.

S: there was plenty of grassy piney hops on the aroma with citrus, caramel, sweetness from the malts, and a bit of pineapple fruit.

T: the piney grassy hops were very good and had a good balance between the sweetness from the malts. It did have citrus, caramel, and pineapple flavor accents as well.

M: the brew was mediumin body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, piney grassy hoppy, mild fruity, and bitter bite finish.

O: it was definitely a good beer but not a great DIPA in my book. I thought the aroma was better than the taste but that's just my opinion.

04-05-2012 07:46:13 | More by Gobzilla
Treebs

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle served in a CBS snifter. From the recent bottling. Huge, Huge, Huge thanks to SupoenaDeuces for this bottle. Thanks Alex!!

A: Pours a perfect hazy orange color with a fluffy pure white head forming on the pour. The retention is out of this world and as the head slowly subsides it leaves huge, sticky sheets of lace behind.

S: Pineapple flesh, sweet caramel malts, light grass and light lemon grass. Extremely balanced.

T: The taste follows the nose perfectly. Citrus pineapple and orange with a touch of lemon peel. Sweet caramel malts and light bitter hops on the finish.

M: This is the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. So smooth and balanced. It drinks like water. Nice solid carbonation with a medium to light body.

O: One the most balanced DIPA's I've had and certainly the most drinkable. The wonderful citrus flavors with the sweet caramel are just perfect. Not to mention the beer looks pretty too.

04-05-2012 01:46:39 | More by Treebs
NarcoSolo

04-05-2012 01:27:24 | More by NarcoSolo
BUNZILLA

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bomber poured into a CBS sniffter

Appearance : slightly hazey orange color. Very impressive fluffy white head stands tall with plenty of retention. Lots of sticky lacing clings on to my glass

Smell : aroma is just outstanding (see what I did there) lots of pineapple and orange peel smells exactly like I thought it would. Very inviting aromas with muted evergreen notes, the citrus really dominates

Taste : the flavor really follows the nose . Lots of pineapple and orange peel flavor with very mild bitterness. Very drinkable dipa spanish is slightly sweet and dry

Mouthfeel :medium to light bodied brew that has very pleasant and carbonation. Slightly sticky

Overall : this beer really delivers a citra punch. I'm glad I sought this one out and would recommend this beer to any hop head

04-05-2012 01:04:58 | More by BUNZILLA
DSlim71

4.7/5  rDev +2.6%

A big thanks to Urbano7913 for this gem. I've really wanted to try this for a while now, so I couldn't resist opening one after the box arrived today. You know it has to be good if I feel compelled to write a review.

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color that looks great on this lovely Spring day. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - It smells pretty close to what I expected from a beer named Citra. Almost like you're eating a fruit salad in a forest. A nice layer of pine to hold together the citrus and tropical fruit. The malt is there but the dry hopping really lets this one shine.

T - Taste definitely follows the nose. Mango, pineapple, orange peel, and pine all glide over the tongue. You know the malt is there, but they did a great job of keeping it in the background and letting the hops take over. Finishes a little dry, slightly bitter.

M - Medium body, nice carbonation, this is exactly the feel I look for in a DIPA. Each sips leaves you wanting another taste.

O - I was definitely impressed with this beer, great job KRBC!! I would have include this with the likes of my other favorite DIPAs. I wish it was a little easier to come by. It seemed like it was disappearing way too fast from my glass. Good thing I have one more...

04-04-2012 19:31:16 | More by DSlim71
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +7%

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 4/2/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to cjmencuri for this fresh bottle of deliciousness --

Review #500

A: Cloudy sunset amber-golden. A careful pour yields a killer three finger off-white head that never really fades. The lacing here is off the charts, just gobs of sticky goodness cling to the walls of the glass. Simply gorgeous.

S: Pure citra delight. It's overflowing with mango, grapefruit and tropical juicy delights. As it warms a bit, the clean malt becomes a bit more evident, yet it's in absolute harmony with the hop oil.

T: Just spectacular. The balance is perfect. The luscious and juicy nature of the citra hops is met with and paired beautifully with the biting nature of the amarillo hop oil. The golden malt is masterfully placed. It runs down the spine of the beer, giving it weight and purpose. I can't state enough just how attuned everything is here.

M: I can't say I've encountered a hop forward beer that feels this thick and rich. It almost has the feel of fresh motor oil. It's creamy and dense, yet at no point does it become too much. Approachable as a $100 bill blowing in the breeze.

O: As the label says, "This beer is all about the hops." Damn right. This may very well be the best hop forward beer, let alone Double IPA I've ever consumed. Everything here is pitch perfect, not a flaw in sight. Worthy of it's cult status, and one I plan on tracking down every time it's released.

My highest recommendation.

04-03-2012 19:14:59 | More by Rhettroactive
Billakowski

04-02-2012 04:23:11 | More by Billakowski
Shilt

04-02-2012 00:17:03 | More by Shilt
mikul93

A Pours a rich orange/gold with a nice eggshell head with nice lacing. Pretty beer.

S Holy smokes! Wonderful floral hop smell with pine and malt all married so well together. This is a fantastic smelling beer!

T Just like the nose. Hopes, pine, citrus, malt all balanced together. Slight bitterness at the end. Every sip of beer I can't help but exclaim "Damn that's good!" This is a world class brew.

M Medium body, crisp and refreshing.

O I've tried all the top tier DIPA's out there and this is , hands down, the best I have ever had. In my top 3 overall. It's a shame that it's availability is so limited.

03-31-2012 19:09:41 | More by mikul93
Rau71

Pours a light golden color with a small white head. Smells like a hop garden. Tastes like hops smell. Some beers smell like hops and taste different, but this beer tasted like you were chewing on that delightful hop smell without being overly bitter. A fantastic beer. Very Citrusy hop flavor dominates the aftertaste. Did a Side by Side with PtE and Citra was just a touch better.

03-31-2012 05:38:48 | More by Rau71