Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,871
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Ratings: 1,486 | Reviews: 362
3.82/5  rDev -16.6%

A little darker than expected caramel color pour with a nice sized pillowy head floating on top. Huge resinous pine hop notes are mixed well with some tropical fruit and more dank dank dank. Flavor is a bit more malt forward than I figured. Aggressively bitter finish, great carbonation for the style. Very nice.

4.1/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Light amber body with a white head and a light lacing. The head dropped to a light foam cap.

A- Citrus aroma with a light malt sweetness.

T- Enjoyable bitterness with a nice spiciness into the aftertaste. Light hop aroma/flavor, but not as intense as I would have expected. The hop flavor was flowery and perfumey in the body mixed in with an enjoyable malty sweetness. Not exactly what I expected from a west coast IPA.

M- Medium-light body, very enjoyable as I expected something at 8% to be quite heavy. Light carbonation.

D- A great beer, but the ratings seem quite influenced by hype. I'd gladly have another, it's on the order of a good homebrew IPA.

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

Orange brown opaque pour with small but dense white foam. Aroma is a blast of tropical fruits, lots of pinneaples, mango and oranges. Also some of the distinctive cat pee and wet grass from Citra hops. Taste is also very fruity, some resin with definite bitterness without being over the top. Could have a little more carbonation. The perfect example of the fruity IIPA.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange color with a massive soapy white head leaving tons of sticky white lacing along the glass..

The aromas begin amazingly fruity and hoppy, no surprise, with lots of blood orange, tangerine, pineapple and grapefruit. As it warms there is a light touch of sweet honey maltiness and maybe a hint of pine in there as well.

The tastes begin with a light bready/honey sweet pale matinees immediately met by a lot of hop fruitiness. Same hop flavors as the aroma with pineapple, tangerine, blood orange and some juicy mango that I didn't get in the aroma. Medium bitterness at first, with some residual sweetness, and then lingering hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is a perfect balance of lingering moderate hop bitterness and juicy hop flavors. Dangerously drinkable, no alcohol detection what so ever except you can obvious tell with the thicker mouthfeel.

Overall I can say no wrong about this beer. It is a beautiful showcase of juicy hop flavors, not too bitter and resiny (or resiny at all for that matter). Great showcase of Citra and Amarillo citrusy hops in all their glory. I would have loved to have this like a week old as opposed to a month or so to really appreciate the hop showcase but this is just fine by me.

4.17/5  rDev -9%

Citra DIPA
22oz bottle into a snifter
no born on date, acquired in a trade, presumably from the latest release

A big thanks goes out to Bonez05404 for sending this one over in a trade.

A:  Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with just under 1 fingers width of sea foam white colored head, which dissipates down fairly quickly to a thin film.  Leaves a fair amount of streaky, spotted lacing.

S: Big citrus hop aromas, grapefruit, pineapple, and most notably orange.  A fair amount of dank, resinous pine.  A swirl of the snifter brings out more tropical fruits and some sweet malt aromas.     A touch of booze as well. Excellent.

T: Somewhat muted up front with most of the flavors coming out in the backend.  Pine, orange rind, a good degree of bitterness, raw sugar sweetness. A hint of booze.  Not nearly the citrus characters on the taste as the nose implied, but more sugary sweetness.  Honestly could definitely be more hop heavy in my book.  Tasty, but somewhat disappointing.

M/D:  Smooth, carbonation on the low end, but appropriate, medium bodied.  Drinkability is high, although its a touch boozy for a DIPA thats only 8%. Real nice mouthfeel though.

O: Very good, but in my opinion nothing spectacular, and certainly not top 10 overall for all styles as the rating shows (although I say the same thing about Pliny).  I had high expectations that this would join my personal "big two" of Heady and Hopslam, but it falls way short of those expectations. Dont get me wrong, its quite an enjoyable beer, but to me its not worth the hype.  Maybe a case of limited availability equaling overrated?

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

once again, a million thank you's to GrumpyOldTroll...this guy is just insanely generous and mad cool. asks for my address and when i say why he says "well you said you haven't tried citra yet so i wanted to send you a bottle" - the bottle arrived yesterday (a day after the discussion). i tried to rally the local troops so we could all get a taste, but the stars didn't line up, so sharing this one with the wife. poured into 2 captain lawrence tulips.

a - `deep murky orange brown with a massive off white chunky foamy ipa head. massive milk shake like chunks of lacing cling to the glass as the head goes away but the head never seems to really leave this beer. can't see light through this beer...kind of looks like some ripe tropical fruit in a glass. swirling the glass brings it all back to life.

s - OH MY! OH MY OH MY! mangos and grapefruits and magically delicious. pineapples. fresh and i mean FRESH ripe fruit. really just stunning. i'm literally drooling awaiting my first sip.

t - big and bold hop flavors. really something from another planet. lots of fresh ripe fruit. unreal flavor. grapefruit, pineapple, mango...tropical fruit hops.

m - full bodied and a bit chewy. perfect bitterness on the finish.

o - overall, pretty epic. is it the best double ipa out there? quite possibly, very reminiscent of heady topper. i'd need to have it in a side-by-side show down, but this one isn't readily available for my consumption needs. really juicy and simply an outrageous double ipa. my glass is emptying way too quick. what a treat! my wife was pretty blown away by it also...and she was equally bummed when i revealed to her the truth that this isn't one to get used to. thanks again, mike...i really appreciate this bottle. who knew (well i guess with 290 reviews...at least 290 people knew).

4.31/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to ArchEnemyBrew for send this beer for me to share with a friend! Thanks Hollis!!!

bomber poured into tulip glass.

At long last, I get to try this EPIC beer!

Appearance: golden bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head. spotty lacing.

Smell: big juicy oranges. grapefruits and pine take a back seat to this nose of unrelenting oranges. really nice nose that you can smell while you are pouring the beer.

Taste: moderate bitterness. Lots of citrus flavors. Touch of grapefruit very similiar to the nose. Nice pine notes as the supporting cast. Fresh, juicy, & green tasting hops. Tropical fruits with a touch of pineapple.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Well hidden ABV; drinks very easily.

Overall: This DIPA does not quite live the hype it gets. Lawsons double sunshine is easily better and not as hard to get either. Orangey hops and its pretty drinkable are both positive attributes that I do enjoy about this DIPA.

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a one inch dense white head. Opaque dull orange in color. Sticky lacing, excellent head retention.

Huge citrus/grapefruit aroma! Stray pine in there.

Hops overpower malt, no doubt about it. Great citrusy hop bite at the end of sip, pithy orange. Super drinkable at 8%abv

Smooth mouthfeel, lower end of carbonation.

One of the best DIPAs out that. Having said that, it's almost too over the top with the amount of bitterness it brings to the table. Definitely worth seeking out! Thanks ArchEnemyBrew!!

4.54/5  rDev -0.9%

From a recent Baltimore tasting group event (many thanks to Online73 for the opportunity to try this one).

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose on this bad boy is flat out fantastic, as I get considerable mango, canned peach, orange citrus and a boatload of pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, but isn't quite as intense. I pick up more pine and dry orange citrus on the palate, in a medium bodied to full bodied flavor package. The finish is long and bitter, though the bitterness is not over the top. Everything seemed well preportioned in this excellent, easy to drink DIPA, and I can see why it's so highly regarded. Excellent beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Really nice hazy golden orange with a nice 1.5-2 finger frothy white head. Delicious looking beer as long as you like the hazy unfiltered look, which I do.

S - Not as strong as I was hoping. However, what is there smells fantastic. It's just not one of those beers that you pop the cap on and the surrounding area immediately smells of hops. Definitely smell the Citra and Amarillo. Nice and fruity, definitely all about the hops like it says on the bottle. Nice and juicy.

T - Follows the smell well. Light caramel or some semi-sweet malt backbone to play off the juicy hops and accentuate them nicely. I really was hoping for more of a fruit juicy hop bomb. After having Zombie Dust, I was hoping this would be like that on steroids, but I really didn't find the taste much more hoppy. It almost just seemed like a heavier maltier version of ZD with an Amarillo kick.

M - Really nice. Coats the mouth. No alcohol presence. Impressively easy to drink. You can tell it is a well crafted beer.

O - Very impressive, but not a top 10 beer. If this was more of a hop bomb I'd love it. The sweet malt and juicy fruit hop profile is right up my alley, but I just don't think it really stands out or gives you a serious hop kick. A beer like Heady Topper or Abner would be my go to compared to this all the time. I really think the east coast (specifically rural Vermont, for some reason) is catching up to the world class west coast IPAs. Definitely seek this out, but it's not worth trading crazy things that you see in the ISO:FT forum. Trade for some Alpine or some Heady Topper before you trade away your cellar for this.

4.67/5  rDev +2%

A: Light copper, excellent clarity, long lasting white head. Tiny bubbles. Beautiful, very appetizing beer.

S: DANK! mango, pineapple, good bud, sticky, resiny, pungent. Not much in the way of citrus or pine. Absolutely profound. Perfect smelling.

T: Huge, all-encompassing tropical fruits. Peaches, mangoes, apricots, pineapples, honeydew. This is perhaps the best tasting DIPA I have ever had. Unique, impeccably well balanced.

M: Light mouthfeel, perfect carbonation. Highly drinkable - almost in a bad way. I wish I could drink this all night.

Until next release... Phenomenal beer. This ties Pliny as my favorite IPA ever.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to a generous trader for sending this as an extra. Pours the color of honey with poofy white head. Tastes and smells as advertised - great tropical fruit notes. Super well balanced with malt. Love the super fresh flavor. Overall, a fantastic IPA, and I usually don't like IPAs.

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet. Really glad I got to try this one at long last!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with an orangish hue. There is a half finger of off white head that leaves a thin layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Now we're talking. Juicy citrus hops with some tropical fruit notes. A touch of sweetness and some pine as well.

Taste: Just like the smell, full of juicy citrus peel hops. I'm getting some tropical fruit and some pine needles from the hops. Just a touch of malt sweetness, enough to balance things out, but the hops definitely do their thing. The finish is bitter with a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: This is a fantastic IPA. I was so glad to get to try it, and it was extremely fresh too. I would jump at the chance to get more.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - Lots of pineapple and orange peel smells exactly like I thought it would. Very inviting aromas with muted evergreen notes, the citrus really dominates.

T - Just like the nose. Hopes, pine, citrus, malt all balanced together. Slight bitterness at the end.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

O - All I can say is Wow! I have now had all the big three DIPAS (Pliny, Heady Topper & Citra). Tough to put these in order but I have to say for me this is the second best IPA in the world behind Heady Topper for me with Pliny in a close third. Knowing how good this beer is I will definitely be trying to get more in the future.

4.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Huge thanks to leschkie for hitting me up with this bottle...

A: Pours a golden straw/yellow that is slightly hazy. There is a pure white head that settles quickly along the top of the beer. There is a bit of lacing left as it drinks, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S: The nose is mild lemony citrus, and tropical fruits. It smells like a Caribbean farmers market. Very little malt, and no huge pine note to speak of.

T: The flavors in this beer are really nice. It has a crisp citrus bite right up front, but it transitions into delicious tropical notes (mango, pineapple, and guava). The finish is smooth and sweet. Very pleasant.

M: Medium to light bodied beer. It's crisp and refreshing. The flavors linger for a bit, and when they fade, this beer begs you to take another sip.

O: This beer is really well done. I don't think it deserves all of the hype and insane accolades that it's been given, but it's a solid beer. It's a great refreshing beer, and it stands with some of the better DIPAs, but it didn't completely blow me away.

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

March release, so about 5-6 weeks old. Not too shabby. Side-by-side with Sculpin.

A: Pours a transparent, golden honey color with a big fluffy white head that sticks around for a while. Some moderate lacing.

S: Tons of fresh citrus fruits, ripe grapefruit, mango, pineapple. This is all about bright, happy hops.

T: Of course it is very hoppy, but in such a great way. More of the ripe, juicy citrus fruits dazzle. There is almost no malt to this one, but it works out quite well.

M: Extremely smooth and medium-bodied, this drinks much closer to an excellent IPA than a double. Carbonation is nice and prickly. There is some light alcohol heat at the end, which surprised me.

O: Having reached triple digits in IPA ticks, I feel comfortable picking out the really excellent ones. This is one of those for me, primarily because it was just so hop dominant and yet somehow still balanced. I could easily drink 2 bombers in a row.

4.12/5  rDev -10%

Reviewing the infamous Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company out of California. Today marks the last day of class in my law school career. I needed to celebrate with something special. Thank you Steven for sending me this one!

Score: 91

This bottle is from the March 23, 2012 release. Served in a Half Acre tulip and enjoyed on 05/02/12. Per Steven, this was stored in a fridge with set to a low/mid-30's temperature to help preserve its freshness.

Appearance: Pours a real nice golden orange color with two-plus fingers of foamy off-white head that slowly settles into a thin layer atop the glass. Very dense looking, and on the opaque side of translucent. Average lacing, good retention. 4/5

Smell: Lots of fresh tropical citrus in the nose. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach, mango, hoppy orange, lemon zest, and sweet-and-sour lemonade. Piney hops and fresh grass clipping. Incredible DIPA aroma. 4.5/5

Taste: You can tell the hops have fallen off a bit in the beer, but it still tastes good. Sweet tropical citrus upfront, counterbalanced by grassiness on back end. Upfront is zesty sweet-and-sour lemon, candied grapefruit, bitter orange rind, and pineapple juice. The back half is plenty juicy citrus as well, and mildly bitter on the linger with orange flavor to boot. The flavor profile is very similar to Heady Topper and Ghandi Bot, just "duller" and lacking any real bitter bite. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and on the higher end of carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel. 4/5

Overall: A solid, but nothing spectacular DIPA. I have had fresher batches since the original review, and although the nose is always great, the taste lacks the punch I prefer in an IPA.

Recommendation: Worth drinking, but overhyped.

Cost: $8 for a 22 oz bottle.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

A Copper honey color. Creamy white head. Can't see through. Murky.
S Hits u in the face from far even. Hypnotized. Wish there was a cologne this smell. Floral. Fruity. Hops are super active in the nose. Pineapple tropical smell
M amazing. So well balanced it's ridiculous. U can taste every thing in the same second. There is no stairstepping. Everything hits you right away and it is spectacular. Fruity pinapple hops light bitterness fading very quickly. Fruity not over sweet flavor lingers last. Very pleasing. The hops bite at just the right time. Subjective I'm sure. Just really like this dipa. Every thing seems to mesh so well. The fruity balance of the hops and sugar content all seem to compliment the amount of malt.
O I've had this beer too many times and when it's not available I wonder if I was just in a good mood and overrated it. Yet every time we get it I love every second I spend. My favorite dipa for sure and I compare everything to it. Sorry if this is too ass kissy. It's just that good for me. I quote. I want to make ice blocks out of it and skate on it and then melt it in summer and drink it. Ok too far. I can say the first time I tried i felt like eh it's just another dipa no big deal but more tastings and comparing really do this beer justice

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this in a trade, and have been excited to try it as I love these Tropical Fruit IPA's.

A: Slightly hazy yellow/orange beer with a great head and impressive lacing.

S: Tropical fruits; Mango, Passionfruit abound incredible aroma on this.

T: Everything it smeels like and more, nice clean malt profile that is just enough there while letting the hops(as they should be) be the star of this show. And what a show, low upfront bitterness but some much hop flavor it is amazing.

M: Perfect carbonation level along with a solid but clean malt profile that allows the hops to do their thing.

O: The best DIPA I have ever had, just ahead of fresh Heady Topper. Need to try it side by side with HF Galaxy and possibly rethink that.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz acquired in trade. Been waiting for this one! 2012 release.

A - Extremely attractive pour. Typical for the style, but this one has a fantastic pure white head that sticks around for a while. Lacing is absolutely outstanding. Slightly hazy yellow/orange hue.

S - Awesome fruit notes. Big pineapple, grapefruit, mango and orange. All hops in the aroma.

T - I wish more accessible DIPA's tasted like this! Huge fruity hop notes. This beer needs to warm some to get the full bouquet of flavors. Big sweet pineapple and citrus. Mango all over the place. Towards the end the bread malts come through, but the bottle is correct, this beer is all about the hops. Total fruit-hop bomb, and I LOVE it.

M - Outstanding job done in this department. Perfectly carbonated and has the consistency of a carbonated cask brew, if that makes any sense. Creamy, smooth and absolutely awesome.

O - Extremely glad that I was able to source this bottle finally. For comparison, think of a day old batch of a less sweet Founders Double Trouble & Lagunitas Sucks. Fantastic beer. Shame I probably won't ever have it again.

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Ryan (Treebs) on this one once again.

A: pours a bright golden color with a big white head that gives way to covering lacing. It sticks to the edges with ease.

S: beautiful medley of citrus, sweet malt, bitterness, some melon.

T: melon is more prevalent here, but the citrus comes in along a bit of grassy flavor. Very nice. Also a good amount of sweet malt, but it's not overpowering.

M: medium body with medium to heavy carbonation make this beautiful and crisp, but it doesn't lack body. After a morning of working outside, it's exactly what I wanted.

O: beautiful DIPA with no ill effects from the hops. All the bitterness and smell and flavor are there, but none of the extra cat pee, onion, or garlic that can be present. Maybe that has to do with time, but this is still incredibly well balanced for my tastes. Drink it at room temperature!

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a massive white head with heavy lacing and froth on the top of the glass. The body of this is very light, perhaps a little lighter than most DIPA's that I see, but it does look appealing.

S: Heavy Citrus, guava, pineapple and mango. Heavy pine scent followed by a decent malt aroma.

T: A heavily caramelized malt presence followed closely by heavy pine flavors. As I let it linger for a bit, I picked up the heavy mango and citrus flavors. Most of the flavors in here are very well balanced and smooth. There may be a bit of an astringent aftertaste that is slightly earthy. This is probably my only off flavor in here, but otherwise this is a very nice DIPA.

M: Light to medium body for a DIPA. There are the caramelized flavors of a longer boil time in here, but not a huge caramel flavor presence. This is mostly pale malt flavor in body and could be a little heavier, but very enjoyable as it is.

O: I can definitely enjoy this, this is a great IPA. The citrus flavors are definitely there and very enjoyable, roasted sugars peeking their head out as you let it warm up. Recommended

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Updated review. After trying a fresh bottle, I realized my original review was of an older bottle. The hops were much more prevalent. Great flavor, great smell. I now understand the appeal of this beer completely. Overall a great beer that fully lived up to my expectations with the fresh bottle.

---
Original review of the older bottle:

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature

A - Slightly hazy burnt orange/copper color. A nice white head that lingers for awhile, with a very faint lacing.

S - Lots of citrus going on here. Also some peach smells which was very unexpected.

T - I was a bit disappointed here. I was expecting a lot after talking with some other BAs about this beer. After recently drinking some Pliny, Hopslam, and Heady Topper, it was hard not comparing here. I felt that the hops were a bit muted compared to the others. It is nicely balanced, but I feel like it needed more. Maybe its an older bottle as there is no date on it?

M - Medium body that is smooth going down.

O - I can see the appeal here. There is a lot of potential, and it is a solid beer. I just feel that is didn't quite live up to my expectations. I really wonder how old this bottle was since I didn't purchase it in a store myself.

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a hazy golden with a huge almost pure white head that lasts just a bit yet laces very well.

over-ripe mangoes, tropical fruits galore, grapefruit, citrus fruit medley. very aromatic.

grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, OJ, mangos, a bit of sweetened, dried tropical fruit medley. very little bitterness, tons of hop flavor. finishes with just pure tangy mango flavor.

medium body with fluffy carbonation and I swear to god you can feel citrus fruit pulp.

wow. I loved Just Outstanding, and this is one step better. Kern River is definitely one of the premier west coast IPA brewers, just based on my few experiences.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Big thanks to Dan25D for sharing

A: Hop-hazed gold color with a frothy white cap. Excellent retention

S: You can smell this beer as soon as you open the cap. Massive tropical fruit (mango/pineapple) blasts your face. A touch of resin. Delicate yet sturdy malt background to balance. Perfect

T: Ahhh man, tons of tropical fruit and a light malt backing. Balanced perfectly for a dipa. Kind of similar to sculpin but with aore pungent hop attack

MF: Smooth and velvety feel to it. Carbonation is low-medium and doesn't ruin the experience like other dipas have a tendency of doing. Alcohol is well hidden throughout

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is the benchmark of dipas in my opinion (move over Pliny)

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company