Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,682
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)

FishPondManager, Jun 08, 2012

josephwa, Jun 04, 2012

TheBeerTruck, Jun 03, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -18.1%

Mister_Joshy, May 29, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - Lots of pineapple and orange peel smells exactly like I thought it would. Very inviting aromas with muted evergreen notes, the citrus really dominates.

T - Just like the nose. Hopes, pine, citrus, malt all balanced together. Slight bitterness at the end.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

O - All I can say is Wow! I have now had all the big three DIPAS (Pliny, Heady Topper & Citra). Tough to put these in order but I have to say for me this is the second best IPA in the world behind Heady Topper for me with Pliny in a close third. Knowing how good this beer is I will definitely be trying to get more in the future.

SkiBum22, May 17, 2012

Brabander, May 14, 2012

baybassboy, May 11, 2012

AutumnBeerLove, May 09, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Huge thanks to leschkie for hitting me up with this bottle...

A: Pours a golden straw/yellow that is slightly hazy. There is a pure white head that settles quickly along the top of the beer. There is a bit of lacing left as it drinks, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S: The nose is mild lemony citrus, and tropical fruits. It smells like a Caribbean farmers market. Very little malt, and no huge pine note to speak of.

T: The flavors in this beer are really nice. It has a crisp citrus bite right up front, but it transitions into delicious tropical notes (mango, pineapple, and guava). The finish is smooth and sweet. Very pleasant.

M: Medium to light bodied beer. It's crisp and refreshing. The flavors linger for a bit, and when they fade, this beer begs you to take another sip.

O: This beer is really well done. I don't think it deserves all of the hype and insane accolades that it's been given, but it's a solid beer. It's a great refreshing beer, and it stands with some of the better DIPAs, but it didn't completely blow me away.

trxxpaxxs, May 08, 2012
4.58/5  rDev 0%

March release, so about 5-6 weeks old. Not too shabby. Side-by-side with Sculpin.

A: Pours a transparent, golden honey color with a big fluffy white head that sticks around for a while. Some moderate lacing.

S: Tons of fresh citrus fruits, ripe grapefruit, mango, pineapple. This is all about bright, happy hops.

T: Of course it is very hoppy, but in such a great way. More of the ripe, juicy citrus fruits dazzle. There is almost no malt to this one, but it works out quite well.

M: Extremely smooth and medium-bodied, this drinks much closer to an excellent IPA than a double. Carbonation is nice and prickly. There is some light alcohol heat at the end, which surprised me.

O: Having reached triple digits in IPA ticks, I feel comfortable picking out the really excellent ones. This is one of those for me, primarily because it was just so hop dominant and yet somehow still balanced. I could easily drink 2 bombers in a row.

doucmehu, May 05, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

Mar02x, May 03, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -10.5%

Reviewing the infamous Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company out of California. Today marks the last day of class in my law school career. I needed to celebrate with something special. Thank you Steven for sending me this one!

Score: 91

This bottle is from the March 23, 2012 release. Served in a Half Acre tulip and enjoyed on 05/02/12. Per Steven, this was stored in a fridge with set to a low/mid-30's temperature to help preserve its freshness.

Appearance: Pours a real nice golden orange color with two-plus fingers of foamy off-white head that slowly settles into a thin layer atop the glass. Very dense looking, and on the opaque side of translucent. Average lacing, good retention. 4/5

Smell: Lots of fresh tropical citrus in the nose. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach, mango, hoppy orange, lemon zest, and sweet-and-sour lemonade. Piney hops and fresh grass clipping. Incredible DIPA aroma. 4.5/5

Taste: You can tell the hops have fallen off a bit in the beer, but it still tastes good. Sweet tropical citrus upfront, counterbalanced by grassiness on back end. Upfront is zesty sweet-and-sour lemon, candied grapefruit, bitter orange rind, and pineapple juice. The back half is plenty juicy citrus as well, and mildly bitter on the linger with orange flavor to boot. The flavor profile is very similar to Heady Topper and Ghandi Bot, just "duller" and lacking any real bitter bite. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and on the higher end of carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel. 4/5

Overall: A solid, but nothing spectacular DIPA. I have had fresher batches since the original review, and although the nose is always great, the taste lacks the punch I prefer in an IPA.

Recommendation: Worth drinking, but overhyped.

Cost: $8 for a 22 oz bottle.

jegross2, May 03, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

A Copper honey color. Creamy white head. Can't see through. Murky.
S Hits u in the face from far even. Hypnotized. Wish there was a cologne this smell. Floral. Fruity. Hops are super active in the nose. Pineapple tropical smell
M amazing. So well balanced it's ridiculous. U can taste every thing in the same second. There is no stairstepping. Everything hits you right away and it is spectacular. Fruity pinapple hops light bitterness fading very quickly. Fruity not over sweet flavor lingers last. Very pleasing. The hops bite at just the right time. Subjective I'm sure. Just really like this dipa. Every thing seems to mesh so well. The fruity balance of the hops and sugar content all seem to compliment the amount of malt.
O I've had this beer too many times and when it's not available I wonder if I was just in a good mood and overrated it. Yet every time we get it I love every second I spend. My favorite dipa for sure and I compare everything to it. Sorry if this is too ass kissy. It's just that good for me. I quote. I want to make ice blocks out of it and skate on it and then melt it in summer and drink it. Ok too far. I can say the first time I tried i felt like eh it's just another dipa no big deal but more tastings and comparing really do this beer justice

Brodybeer, May 02, 2012

shadytony, Apr 30, 2012

hayesjw, Apr 28, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this in a trade, and have been excited to try it as I love these Tropical Fruit IPA's.

A: Slightly hazy yellow/orange beer with a great head and impressive lacing.

S: Tropical fruits; Mango, Passionfruit abound incredible aroma on this.

T: Everything it smeels like and more, nice clean malt profile that is just enough there while letting the hops(as they should be) be the star of this show. And what a show, low upfront bitterness but some much hop flavor it is amazing.

M: Perfect carbonation level along with a solid but clean malt profile that allows the hops to do their thing.

O: The best DIPA I have ever had, just ahead of fresh Heady Topper. Need to try it side by side with HF Galaxy and possibly rethink that.

lucas1801, Apr 24, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz acquired in trade. Been waiting for this one! 2012 release.

A - Extremely attractive pour. Typical for the style, but this one has a fantastic pure white head that sticks around for a while. Lacing is absolutely outstanding. Slightly hazy yellow/orange hue.

S - Awesome fruit notes. Big pineapple, grapefruit, mango and orange. All hops in the aroma.

T - I wish more accessible DIPA's tasted like this! Huge fruity hop notes. This beer needs to warm some to get the full bouquet of flavors. Big sweet pineapple and citrus. Mango all over the place. Towards the end the bread malts come through, but the bottle is correct, this beer is all about the hops. Total fruit-hop bomb, and I LOVE it.

M - Outstanding job done in this department. Perfectly carbonated and has the consistency of a carbonated cask brew, if that makes any sense. Creamy, smooth and absolutely awesome.

O - Extremely glad that I was able to source this bottle finally. For comparison, think of a day old batch of a less sweet Founders Double Trouble & Lagunitas Sucks. Fantastic beer. Shame I probably won't ever have it again.

DevilsCups, Apr 23, 2012

Ajax84, Apr 22, 2012

GuisseppeFranco, Apr 22, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Ryan (Treebs) on this one once again.

A: pours a bright golden color with a big white head that gives way to covering lacing. It sticks to the edges with ease.

S: beautiful medley of citrus, sweet malt, bitterness, some melon.

T: melon is more prevalent here, but the citrus comes in along a bit of grassy flavor. Very nice. Also a good amount of sweet malt, but it's not overpowering.

M: medium body with medium to heavy carbonation make this beautiful and crisp, but it doesn't lack body. After a morning of working outside, it's exactly what I wanted.

O: beautiful DIPA with no ill effects from the hops. All the bitterness and smell and flavor are there, but none of the extra cat pee, onion, or garlic that can be present. Maybe that has to do with time, but this is still incredibly well balanced for my tastes. Drink it at room temperature!

Holland, Apr 21, 2012

StPaulSuds, Apr 21, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a massive white head with heavy lacing and froth on the top of the glass. The body of this is very light, perhaps a little lighter than most DIPA's that I see, but it does look appealing.

S: Heavy Citrus, guava, pineapple and mango. Heavy pine scent followed by a decent malt aroma.

T: A heavily caramelized malt presence followed closely by heavy pine flavors. As I let it linger for a bit, I picked up the heavy mango and citrus flavors. Most of the flavors in here are very well balanced and smooth. There may be a bit of an astringent aftertaste that is slightly earthy. This is probably my only off flavor in here, but otherwise this is a very nice DIPA.

M: Light to medium body for a DIPA. There are the caramelized flavors of a longer boil time in here, but not a huge caramel flavor presence. This is mostly pale malt flavor in body and could be a little heavier, but very enjoyable as it is.

O: I can definitely enjoy this, this is a great IPA. The citrus flavors are definitely there and very enjoyable, roasted sugars peeking their head out as you let it warm up. Recommended

alpinebryant, Apr 21, 2012

whartontallboy, Apr 21, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Updated review. After trying a fresh bottle, I realized my original review was of an older bottle. The hops were much more prevalent. Great flavor, great smell. I now understand the appeal of this beer completely. Overall a great beer that fully lived up to my expectations with the fresh bottle.

---
Original review of the older bottle:

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature

A - Slightly hazy burnt orange/copper color. A nice white head that lingers for awhile, with a very faint lacing.

S - Lots of citrus going on here. Also some peach smells which was very unexpected.

T - I was a bit disappointed here. I was expecting a lot after talking with some other BAs about this beer. After recently drinking some Pliny, Hopslam, and Heady Topper, it was hard not comparing here. I felt that the hops were a bit muted compared to the others. It is nicely balanced, but I feel like it needed more. Maybe its an older bottle as there is no date on it?

M - Medium body that is smooth going down.

O - I can see the appeal here. There is a lot of potential, and it is a solid beer. I just feel that is didn't quite live up to my expectations. I really wonder how old this bottle was since I didn't purchase it in a store myself.

kif, Apr 18, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a hazy golden with a huge almost pure white head that lasts just a bit yet laces very well.

over-ripe mangoes, tropical fruits galore, grapefruit, citrus fruit medley. very aromatic.

grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, OJ, mangos, a bit of sweetened, dried tropical fruit medley. very little bitterness, tons of hop flavor. finishes with just pure tangy mango flavor.

medium body with fluffy carbonation and I swear to god you can feel citrus fruit pulp.

wow. I loved Just Outstanding, and this is one step better. Kern River is definitely one of the premier west coast IPA brewers, just based on my few experiences.

silentjay, Apr 16, 2012