Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,510
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jrnyc

4.3/5  rDev -6.3%

I had this in a pint glass poured from a 22oz bomber.

A -Looks nice, nice orange to amber color, nice, creamy head, incredible lacing.

S: WOW, this beer smells great, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. As soon as I smelled it I knew I would like this beer.

T: This beer tastes very good, right up there with some of the best in this category. It did smell better than it tasted though.

M:Nice carbonation.

O:This is an excellent beer. A notch below some of my favorites, but an excellent beer that lives up to its hype.

12-12-2011 00:59:01 | More by jrnyc

Colorado

12-10-2011 02:24:13 | More by wdeck9
KevinBrewer

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Brownish copper color with a fluffy off-white head that keeps a healthy cap, lacing the glass nicely as it goes down.

N- Huge bitter grapefruit aromas with elements of the rind, pith, and flesh. Juicy citrus accents with soft pineapple and tropical fruit gummy bears underneath. Just a hint of toasted grain way in the back. Floral, herbal fumes start to appear as the beer warms.

T- Clean, sweet toasted grain provides a thick base for the hoppy goodness that ensues. A firm bitterness cuts the sweet malt with notes of herbs, grass, pine resin, and grapefruit rind. Dry biscuity malt emerges from the bitterness, while juicy citrus and tropical fruit keep the mouth watering through the mid palate. The finish is long and fairly dry with lingering grain and a lasting grassy, herbal, piney bitterness that leaves you with fresh hop breath.

M- Medium to full bodied, slightly syrupy and sticky. Moderate carbonation and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, a solid DIPA. I much prefer the bottle version of this to the growler. Always a treat to have, and I look forward to the next batch if I can't get my hands on any more this round.

12-09-2011 06:20:56 | More by KevinBrewer

12-09-2011 02:12:44 | More by jophish17
GabrielM

New Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Opened a box from BA Tieman today expecting some Pliny or something similar and pulled this baby out. Thanks again, Dan!

Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A - Really nice golden color with an awesome soapy, bright white head on top. Nice lacing as well.

S - smells of delicious garlic, some cat piss, fresh cut grass.... basically it's a bold, bright, fresh citra BOMB! Really nice.

T - as the nose predicted but 50x more intense and delicious. Bitter hops, malty balance, and all the citra you can handle. It's about 10 degrees out right now but it's spring time in this glass. Really awesome.

M - extremely smooth considering the nice bite this has. Creamy and the perfect amount of body as it goes down.

O - this beer has a A+ and it's easy to understand why. One of the best I've tasted in my life.

12-08-2011 00:04:59 | More by GabrielM

alwaysanswerb

12-07-2011 03:25:34 | More by alwaysanswerb
Nachojon

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

A- 2 fingers frothy white head. Hazy, golden orange zest color. Lace holds on to the glass. This is what a IIPA should look like.

S- Not overly fragrant which surprised me. I have been opening some nose bombs lately but I walked a couple laps around my kitchen with my nose in it. What aroma there is hits me pleasantly. I smell the warm citra hops. A little honey back, some pineapple.

T- Very, very good. I think the label is misleading. This is not like chewing on a hopvine. There are others out there for that, instead Citra is very balanced. I don't know how fresh mine is, mind you but the flavors are all there. Pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, mango, I think the fact that sweet, sugar forward fruit is detectable is evidence of balance.

M- This is where it stands out. BONE dry. Which is how I like it. Finish is the cleanest I have ever tasted. Nice carbonation.

O- This thing is a legend, I had high expectations and they were met. It wasn't a blow my face off this is the best beer I have ever had reaction. But a damn this is one of the better beers I have had reaction.

12-07-2011 01:30:48 | More by Nachojon

Micplug

12-03-2011 22:35:41 | More by Micplug
OTB

4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

I was fortunate to get two fresh bottles this week. First time with this uber-hyped cult hero. To be honest I was sure this was just going to be another really good DIPA that gets the uber hype so associated with anything made in limited supply that is equally very well made, in my wine world it is the Screaming Eagles, Schraders and SQN'S. To my pleasant surprise this is the Schrader of the craft beer world. The first thing that told me this was special was the nose, huge hoppy, all stinky and sweet, simply amazing. The color is a nice clear golden yellow with a medium head with nice lacing as I drink down. The flavor profile is awesome, sweet tropical fruit, loads of grapefruit,crushed orange peel and a oyster shell mineralality underline the overall package. The mouth feel is unlike any other, tangy carbonation that leaves bone dry and ready for another quaff. I am so glad I finally was able to taste this beer. And I will say it is worth every bit the well deserved hype it gets.

12-03-2011 01:48:42 | More by OTB