1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,711
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to ramnuts, I was fortunate enough to try this exceptional DIPA.

Appearance: It is cloudy and light yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell: I smell sweet hops, lemons, orange and some pineapple.
Taste: Wonderful sweet citrus taste, full of oranges, lemons, and finishing off with a little grapefruit. This is hoppy, citrus, sweet... Oh hell, It's an orgasm in a glass.
Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, dry and finishes clean.
Drinkability: Amazing! Absolutely my favorite DIPA yet.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Notes from 9/17/12.

A: Golden orange with two fingers of creamy, eggshell head. Decent head retention and very nice, sticky lacing.

S: Super juicy with lots of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and tangerine. Light breadiness. Smells very crisp and refreshing .

T: Similar to the nose – Bright citrus and tropical fruit. Also some subdued floral and pine flavors. Hop forward with medium bitterness. Sweet malt in the background.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Crisp, refreshing.

O: Maybe it’s just homerism at work here, but this is my favorite beer. I can't get enough of it.

Growler shared with MrVonzipper

Look: Light orange/copper color with 1/2 head and good retention and some lacing

Smell: Amazing floral scent from the dry hopping. There are some wonderful fruits here as well. Pineapple and other island fruits

Taste: I feel like I just took an island hopping experience in Hawaii. The flavors are straight island fruits. Pineapple mango and banana

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Very crisp clean and fruity DIPA. Very easy drinkability with amazing flavors but the best part of this beer is the nose. This is hands down the best DIPA I have ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Beautiful dark orange. Can't see through the glass but there's no sediment floating around. Very nice, bright white, two finger head. Large bubbles and spotty lacing all over the place. Absolutely perfect.

S - Lots of fresh pine and citrus. I know this was freshly bottled and the fragrance shows.

T - There is no IPA that drinks this smoothly. The hop and malt balance is incredible, and still manages to keep the hops right up front where they belong. Lots of pine and sweet citrus notes.

M - Lots of body, almost feels rich when it hits your tongue. Very hearty for an IPA! Well balanced carbonation.

O - My favorite beer of all time. Sooo happy that I won the Citra lottery this year (2013) and was able to score a 6 pack. Well worth the 10 hour drive!

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bomber into a newly aquired Lost Abbey stem. (what a way to christen a new glass, with Citra!)Served at 42 degrees. HUGE shoutout to Cisco619 for providing the glass AND the Citra.

I was worried after all the hype and waiting that it wouldn't quite live up to it all. Boy was I wrong!

Pours a gorgeous clear, amber. Nice fluffy white head that settles down with good lacing all over the glass.
Smell is of fresh cut tropical fruits and pine.
At first taste I'm greeted with a 'fresh' bitter taste. Nice grassy and floral taste as it eases down the gullet. This shit is the real deal. As it goes down there is a slight hop burn, like the 'heartburn' feeling one can get from too much hops (is there such a thing as too much hops?? I doubt it) I'm loving every second of this beer.
While it is swishing in my mouth, it feels almost perfect. If there is any nitpicking to be done....and it really is just nitpicking...it could be just a bit thicker for a DIPA.
Really, this is probably the best beer I've ever had from a bottle. I can't even imagine how good this must be freshly tapped. I can't help but think to the difference in Pliny from a fresh keg to a fresh bottle. While the bottle is excellent, the tap is magical. I love Pliny, but I think, at least in bottle form, this may take it. You West Coasters really fuckin' know how to rape the hops for all the flavor! I love it!!

Find this. Get this. Drink this.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

numerous bottles of this now two-week-old release of my favorite india pale ale

i affectionately call this beer sugar booger, because when you sniff it the dankness and tropical wafts just cling to your nostrils and feel like heaven

the taste is so streamlined with just a ghostly hint of malt accompanying the midly bitter finish

this one's all about the citra, a truly aromatic and juicy hop with tangerine and mango and ganja dankness, and it's this singularity of focus that puts it above pliny (which it beat in a blind line-up i was part of, yes, they were the same age)

after this week it'll probably start declining, so drink up me hearties yo ho

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Huge thanks to jpaco47 for sharing this!

Poured into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a two finger topping of white foam. The head recedes leaving a white coaster and great lacing. The nose is overwhelming floral and citrus. Probably the best smelling beer I've encountered. Taste is huge citrus notes backed by a sugar cookie malt profile. The beer is perfectly balanced. Hoppy bitterness and sweet malt push back and forth and the winner is my tastebuds. PTY is the only other beer I've had that tops this level of balance in a DIPA. Incredible! Feel is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation for the style. No trace of the advertised ABV is noticeable: this is an incredibly balanced and tasty DIPA from Kern River. I would keep it in my regular lineup if I were closer. I will be making the drve to kern county in the future to enjoy this one.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Make more Citra. I always seem to miss out on it. This has added to the legend of this brew but make no mistake, it's not just hype man oh man is it nice. Careful if you like to chug, it tastes like nectar. Doesnt taste anywhere near 8%. I love you Citra. Best DIPA from Central California hands down.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

A: cloudy unfiltered looking with a nice vibrant orange/gold hue

S: Amazing. Tropical notes with a strong underlying smell of citrus. i could smell this beer as it was set on the table. I could smell this for day...

T: Very similar to the smell, tropical fruit with a strong flavor of citrus. Very nice bitterness that is present but not overwhelming.

M: medium bodied with a good amount of resinous oils that coats the tongue.

O: Without a doubt my favorite double ipa. The smell alone is quite intoxicating.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

possibly the most anticipated beer I've ever had! thanks to wicked BA Abbbp for the trade. 22oz. bottle poured into a NEBCO tulip

A: What a beautiful beer! Golden, sunburst orange, gigantic frothy cream-colored head. Within 1 minute, the head has reduced to a bubbly coating, resting gently on the remainder of the beer. Leaving spiderwebbed, sticky-looking lacing all the way to the end.

S: Gadzooks! So bright, so fresh, I can only imagine what the brewhouse smelled of as this was being made. A subtle grain base features layer upon layer of slightly sweet, floral, fruity hops. I spent a good several minutes inhaling deeply, certainly in no rush to stop!

T/M: Ohhh, so this is what heaven tastes like, glad I now know. Slight bit of toasted sweetness up front, but still almost raw in nature. And then kablammo! Hops after hops after hops...on a tropical island and if hops grew on palm trees. Oh, doesn't make sense? Well after all the mango, peach, and especially pineapple that coats the tongue, it will. Tight carbonation produces an extremely creamy drinking experience. This would KILL on a nitro tap. Perfect in every way.

O: Alright, so here's a good example of a beer living up to its hype and then some. 'Nuff said. Get you some.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Drove over 600 miles to get a couple growlers of this bad boy..

A: pours a dark orange with a hazy body.. Nice bright white head with tiny bubbles..

S: WOW!! The aroma is so captivating. Loads of ripe citrus aromas (orange, grapefruit, pineapple).. Nice pine touch with a small dose of caRamel sweetness.. Words honestly can't describe..

T: another WOW!! Again you get hit with the beautiful citrus flavors.. Very ripe & fresh & so damn delicious.. Orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit... Towards the finish pine is present along with a small amount of sweet malt.. Almost no alcohol detection.. Pretty much straight up hops but no harsh bitter finish..

MF: the mouthfeel is another great quality of this brew.. Medium bodied with a perfect carbonation level.. It sits in the mouth so nicely.. Very nice texture..

D: all day everyday..nuff said

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

I was a beer tasting party and some brought a growler of the incredible DIPA. Fairly new and unheard of brewery, but they hit a home run with this one. I ended up blow off the other brews a stay with this yummy brew. It is the best drinking DIPA I have ever had. It starts with a bright citrus hop that dances on your tongue. Its ends anything but bitter, just a fresh hop flavor that lingers.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a deep orange with a sticky bubbly big white head.

Very complex aroma. Loads of tropical fruits are present. Mango, papaya pineapple also some citrus, but it also has some subtle floral and pine scents as well.

Flavor follows the nose. This is fantastically complex. Starts out with bright citrus and floral flavors. Finishes bitter, piney and dry like a lot of DIPA's, but there is a unique tropical fruit sweetness lurking beneath the onslaught of pine.

Mouthfeel is moderately creamy with good carbonation levels.

This beer is everything it's cracked up to be. I'd like to try this ZD and PtE side by side to see sometime, but I loved this and the bottle went away much too quickly.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Huge thanks to chswimmer for sending this one my way. I knew i had to get ahold of it and quick as word was out, this was one killer dipa. Served cold and enjoyed the whole damn thin last night on 04/10/10.

The pour was superb. So damn cloudy and thick looking, the consistency of very pulpy grapefruit juice but with a more amber tone to it. Big head of white rises up but fades after a few minutes coating the entire glass with sticky white webbing that never does fade away, this is going to be a beast. Each whiff of the aroma is like heaven. I swear I did not think somethin could smell this ripe in fresh, it was divine. Rich and sweet oranges, hints of mango and passion fruit. Soo fresh it was absurd. I have never smelled anything like this before. It was just perfect. Even warming just seemed to bring it out more, rich decadent citrus aromas packed with a candy like sweetness that had me in tears literally, super soft and delicate flavor just really had me on the ground. I cold not have envisioned this coming across any fuller or better, it was just unreal. Orange slices just grip the palate and refuse to let go as the deep and fresh resin like flavor. Each sip was like gold, smooth, mellow and suprisingly well balanced, I am in awe of this beer. Each sip was better then the one before. Manoes and ripe grapefruit now coming through, papaya and star fruit, just everything that you could imagine as being sweet, citrusy and fresh was thrown in here without regard. This is what I want, every day, all day. 8 perfect my ass as you drink it like water. Three pints down in an hour as I sit on the deck and relax. Never had I had a big beer be soo drinkable.

Overall I am speechless. This is what it is all about. Do not stop, go get this, I am at a loss.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Solomon420 for a growler of this when it first came out.

Pours hazy orange with an off white head.

The smell is exceptional. Mango, pineapple, pine, grapefruit, oranges, hop resin, apricots. No alcohol or malt to speak of, which is what I want in my DIPA.

Taste follows suit with tons of tropical fruit, pine, resin, and soe apricot. Just the right amount of bitterness that isn't overwhelming.

Really nice and dry. Extremely easy to drink for a DIPA.

Just an exceptional IIPA. I had this a couple weeks after a Pliny the Younger growler and this wins out easily.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: A hazy, deep orange body that has a nice radiance to it. Two fingers of cream colored head form, and leaves a thick sticky lacing. Head hangs around for a while. Yup, this looks great.

Smell: As I poured the glass, I already got big wafts of grapefruit and mango. That's a good sign. An insane amount of grapefruit, tangerine, mango, and a nice resin burst out of the glass. Some light breadyness tries to come through, but this is all about the hops.

Taste: Grapefruit explosion. Literally, this tastes like grapefruit juice soaked with citra hops. Lots of citrus, mango, and tangerine. A definite pine, and the typical white pepper that citra often displays. Some bready sweetness, but only enough to calm the hops down slightly. Finishes with a lingering grapefruit bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of bitterness. A medium body, that leans on the side of heavier rather than light. Very drinkable, but not at the level of say, Society and Solitude #5.

Overall: While I personally enjoy Society and Solitude #5 more than this, I would say this is the perfect Double IPA regarding the standards of the style, simply because of the sheer size of everything about it's profile. Whereas S&S5 was pure juice, this exhibits all the best qualities of a DIPA. I will definitely want this again.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Fresh bottle as an extra from pastradul! Thanks buddy!

Pour: bright straw yellow, slightly golden with an opaque orange hue. Very carbonated, bright white head dinishes into a soapy ring around the glass' edge.

Nose: Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, strong piney resin. This is a blast of tropical fruit goodness with a great piney zing. This smells better than any IIPA I've had, outside of Abrasive.

Taste: The taste is insane. All the above tropical fruits coming in sweet with a middle consisting of very strong, resinous citrus (cite duh) hops and a great caramel malted backbone. Sort of dry on the end with a great piney lingering taste.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, slightly dry and a perfect Inbetween of oily and watery.

Overall: This IIPA is so amazing. I could drink it in lightning speed if I had a never ending supply. It's SO good.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a light gold. Actually kind of surprisingly light for a DIPA. The beer has a nice foamy head that sticks around. The aroma is pungent and hoppy. Tons of hops, no noticeable malt on the nose. The hops are citrusy and floral, there is some pineapple on the nose and just a hint of pine. The taste is pure hops but there is noticeable sweetness on the palette. This is actually less hop forward than I was expecting. The balance is good, not too sweet with a nice refreshing burst of hops.

The more I drink this down the more I love the hops. A nice, pleasant bitterness and a hop aroma that smells like what beer perfume would smell like it it were an awesome idea instead of a horrible one. I'd get this again, if only I could!

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottled opened on 8/26 and poured into my RR pint glass.

A- Liquid gold. About two fingers of off white head leave lots of lacing down the glass. Looks really great.

S- I could smell this form a mile away. A barrage of citra hops. Pineapple, mango, pine. Amazing. Smells just like a Nelson from Alpine and, well, that (up to this date) has been my favorite smelling beer ever.

T- Wow. Amazing. So juicy. Follows the nose with the mango, pineapple, orange, pine. It's like having a ripe fruit salad in Hawaii. What an amazing aftertaste. It just lingers forever.

M- So smooth. Perfect carbonation. Medium bodied. So creamy and chewy.

O- I really hate how hyped this beer was, and yet I understand it. It combines the best of west coast IPAs and, all in all, surpasses what other breweries do so well. The best double IPA I've ever had. I'd love to see this as a year-round beer, but we'll see. another amazing beer from Kern River.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a pint glass on 11/1/11; reviewed from notes. Shared with two friends. Thanks to Vanlingleipa for this amazing brew!

A- Copper-orange with a full, one finger, white head that lasted throughout and left a sticky lacing behind. Light penetration was complete.

S- Fruity: citrus, grapefruit, and mango.

T- Slightly bitter with the full range of the fruits present in the aroma.

M- Medium with ample carbonation.

O- Honestly, I wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype, but it did! The only disappointment I have is that I couldn't get two bottles.

An outstanding example of a Double Indian Pale Ale

A: Straw colored, clean with medium fluffy white head

S: Very citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit

T: Hoppy, delicate, citrus prevails again

M: Fine carbonation, crisp, clean finish

O: This is one of the best beers that I have had the opportunity to try. Blows similar double/imperial IPAs out of the water.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

So...I got a couple of 500ml bottles, filled today, the same day the Growler was opened, from tkunkel, as he was passing through Casper ( he BMd me asking if I wanted some of this beer called Citra. He saw it on my Wants List.) Hehe....thanks, Tom!. He didn't WANT anything in return but I gave him a bottle of something anyway....

I drank the first bottle with no intention of reviewing it. Now on to the second bottle:

A gorgeous cloudy dark orange colour, small but decent head of foam, and even some lacing. Kind of reminds me of a cask ale in appearance. Yep. Me likes.

The smell grabs my nose immediately. Loads of fruits well represented and actually very varied and hard for me to name but I'll do my best: Apricots, grapefruit, oranges, peach...could be more and man, the nose is strong and powerful and OH so inviting.

First sip, sort of, and the numerous fruits in the smell are ALL there! Beyond that, it has a dry hopped kind of bitterness that adds a welcome punch. Not much malt here but by golly, with all the fruitiness and dry hop type of bitterness, you'd *think* this would be a real palate destroyer but...it bloody well isn't! Remarkable.

The body is fairly light for the style and the carbonation is on the lower side as well. Not what *should* add up to a great mouthfeel but it is suiting me well enough and it's going to get a good score. Can't argue with what the mouth tells me. ;^)

Drinkability? This tasty son of a gun is hiding the abv like no other! No warming, no sign of it in the smell or taste. Man! This is one dangerously drinkable DIPA. From Kern River. Whom I've had beers from before and they all tickled me pink. Add Citra DIPA to *that* list as in, this is one of THE best beers in the US today!

Another super thanks again to Tom!!

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

22oz bomber poured into SA glass. No bottle dating.

Honey-orange, clear liquid, one-finger white, fluffy head.

Fine hoppy fragrance of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, mango. Fantastic.

The aroma is true as the first sip reveals a wonderful hop experience. Smooth bitterness full of mango, lemon/lime and grapefruit envelopes the taste buds like a velvet glove. Tingling, fruity hop bitterness lingers. Not bitter, but smooth.

Medium body, nicely carbonated. Nothing to complain about.

This one is a winner throughout. The alcohol is well hidden and the Citra hops explode. These hops are becoming my favorite as they impart such a citrus, fruity flavor, reminding me of growing up in Ft Lauderdale and the abundance of enjoyable fresh tropical fruits in my backyard.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company