Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,790
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
4.99/5  rDev +9%

4.99/5  rDev +9%

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I was fortunate to get two fresh bottles this week. First time with this uber-hyped cult hero. To be honest I was sure this was just going to be another really good DIPA that gets the uber hype so associated with anything made in limited supply that is equally very well made, in my wine world it is the Screaming Eagles, Schraders and SQN'S. To my pleasant surprise this is the Schrader of the craft beer world. The first thing that told me this was special was the nose, huge hoppy, all stinky and sweet, simply amazing. The color is a nice clear golden yellow with a medium head with nice lacing as I drink down. The flavor profile is awesome, sweet tropical fruit, loads of grapefruit,crushed orange peel and a oyster shell mineralality underline the overall package. The mouth feel is unlike any other, tangy carbonation that leaves bone dry and ready for another quaff. I am so glad I finally was able to taste this beer. And I will say it is worth every bit the well deserved hype it gets.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Had on tap at 38 Degrees Ale House in Alhambra, CA, during LA Beer Week.

A: Golden and cloudy with some lacing and pale foam. Good head retention.

S: Massive fruit. Pear, grapefruit, mango, with a backing of piney spruce, sweet malt and alcoholic astringency.

T: A powerful, robust palette of flavors that closely matches the nose. Mango and grapefruit are front and center, with sweet Citra and Amarillo hops dominating the flavor of the beer. A lingering evergreen aftertaste. Extraordinarily balanced with a toasted malt backing. Unbelievably refreshing and drinkable, with negligible alcoholic heat.

M: The dense and chewy body is wholly appropriate for how huge this beer is.

O: It's rare that I use this word to describe a beer, but "masterful" is apt. This is the single best DIPA I've ever tasted. It's even smoother and more robust than Pliny the Elder, and it outclasses virtually every American Double I've ever had, including HopSlam or 120 Minute.

I don't know how this bottles, but on draught, it was an absolute pleasure to drink. It's shame that this beer is so rare, otherwise it would be my go-to DIPA.

Big thanks to Dan25D for sharing

A: Hop-hazed gold color with a frothy white cap. Excellent retention

S: You can smell this beer as soon as you open the cap. Massive tropical fruit (mango/pineapple) blasts your face. A touch of resin. Delicate yet sturdy malt background to balance. Perfect

T: Ahhh man, tons of tropical fruit and a light malt backing. Balanced perfectly for a dipa. Kind of similar to sculpin but with aore pungent hop attack

MF: Smooth and velvety feel to it. Carbonation is low-medium and doesn't ruin the experience like other dipas have a tendency of doing. Alcohol is well hidden throughout

O: I absolutely love this beer. This is the benchmark of dipas in my opinion (move over Pliny)

12/18/2011

Bottle into a snifter.

A: Burnished golden orange with two fingers of white sea foam. Retention is very good and lacing is scattered on the glass.

S: The hops are bright and fresh, imparting notes of peach, mango, orange, tangerine, and grapefruit. It smells absolutely excellent. Passion fruit is pretty strong. Malt is faint and crackery, and there's a restrained floral bouquet.

T: Juicy orange and tangerine blend with peach and a little bit of drier citrus rind notes. Malt is a shadow. This is just bursting with hop flavor. Grapefruit meets mango, mandarin orange, and guava. This is delicious. The beer is moderately bitter and the amount of hop flavor backing it up is comical.

M: Upper light in body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: Just a pleasure to drink. Amazing. I wish I had a growler of this in front of me. Hah! Think big, I always say! Why not two growlers in front of me?

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Citra Hop DIPA from Kern River is hands down the best DIPA I have ever had!!! It is quite possibly the best beer I have ever had. Had 3 pints on tap at the Surly Goat last night and was in hophead grapefruit heaven! Easy drinking, supper dry eight percenter that finishes like a glass of grapefruit juice without a hint sweetness. It blows my mind that it can have such a heavy existence of grapefruit notes without even a trace of being cloyingly sweet. Citra DIPA achieves perfect balance without sacrificing the overwhelming hop forward presence of Citra hops. Mouthfeeling and drinkability add to the experience and draw you back for at least seconds and thirds as each pint reveals greater depth and enhances the experience of having the perfect beer. If Just Outstanding is just outstanding (and it is) than Citra DIPA is Just F***ing Amazing!

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to ramnuts, I was fortunate enough to try this exceptional DIPA.

Appearance: It is cloudy and light yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell: I smell sweet hops, lemons, orange and some pineapple.
Taste: Wonderful sweet citrus taste, full of oranges, lemons, and finishing off with a little grapefruit. This is hoppy, citrus, sweet... Oh hell, It's an orgasm in a glass.
Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, dry and finishes clean.
Drinkability: Amazing! Absolutely my favorite DIPA yet.

Notes from 9/17/12.

A: Golden orange with two fingers of creamy, eggshell head. Decent head retention and very nice, sticky lacing.

S: Super juicy with lots of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and tangerine. Light breadiness. Smells very crisp and refreshing .

T: Similar to the nose – Bright citrus and tropical fruit. Also some subdued floral and pine flavors. Hop forward with medium bitterness. Sweet malt in the background.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Crisp, refreshing.

O: Maybe it’s just homerism at work here, but this is my favorite beer. I can't get enough of it.

Growler shared with MrVonzipper

Look: Light orange/copper color with 1/2 head and good retention and some lacing

Smell: Amazing floral scent from the dry hopping. There are some wonderful fruits here as well. Pineapple and other island fruits

Taste: I feel like I just took an island hopping experience in Hawaii. The flavors are straight island fruits. Pineapple mango and banana

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Very crisp clean and fruity DIPA. Very easy drinkability with amazing flavors but the best part of this beer is the nose. This is hands down the best DIPA I have ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bomber into a newly aquired Lost Abbey stem. (what a way to christen a new glass, with Citra!)Served at 42 degrees. HUGE shoutout to Cisco619 for providing the glass AND the Citra.

I was worried after all the hype and waiting that it wouldn't quite live up to it all. Boy was I wrong!

Pours a gorgeous clear, amber. Nice fluffy white head that settles down with good lacing all over the glass.
Smell is of fresh cut tropical fruits and pine.
At first taste I'm greeted with a 'fresh' bitter taste. Nice grassy and floral taste as it eases down the gullet. This shit is the real deal. As it goes down there is a slight hop burn, like the 'heartburn' feeling one can get from too much hops (is there such a thing as too much hops?? I doubt it) I'm loving every second of this beer.
While it is swishing in my mouth, it feels almost perfect. If there is any nitpicking to be done....and it really is just nitpicking...it could be just a bit thicker for a DIPA.
Really, this is probably the best beer I've ever had from a bottle. I can't even imagine how good this must be freshly tapped. I can't help but think to the difference in Pliny from a fresh keg to a fresh bottle. While the bottle is excellent, the tap is magical. I love Pliny, but I think, at least in bottle form, this may take it. You West Coasters really fuckin' know how to rape the hops for all the flavor! I love it!!

Find this. Get this. Drink this.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

numerous bottles of this now two-week-old release of my favorite india pale ale

i affectionately call this beer sugar booger, because when you sniff it the dankness and tropical wafts just cling to your nostrils and feel like heaven

the taste is so streamlined with just a ghostly hint of malt accompanying the midly bitter finish

this one's all about the citra, a truly aromatic and juicy hop with tangerine and mango and ganja dankness, and it's this singularity of focus that puts it above pliny (which it beat in a blind line-up i was part of, yes, they were the same age)

after this week it'll probably start declining, so drink up me hearties yo ho

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Beautiful dark orange. Can't see through the glass but there's no sediment floating around. Very nice, bright white, two finger head. Large bubbles and spotty lacing all over the place. Absolutely perfect.

S - Lots of fresh pine and citrus. I know this was freshly bottled and the fragrance shows.

T - There is no IPA that drinks this smoothly. The hop and malt balance is incredible, and still manages to keep the hops right up front where they belong. Lots of pine and sweet citrus notes.

M - Lots of body, almost feels rich when it hits your tongue. Very hearty for an IPA! Well balanced carbonation.

O - My favorite beer of all time. Sooo happy that I won the Citra lottery this year (2013) and was able to score a 6 pack. Well worth the 10 hour drive!

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Huge thanks to jpaco47 for sharing this!

Poured into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a two finger topping of white foam. The head recedes leaving a white coaster and great lacing. The nose is overwhelming floral and citrus. Probably the best smelling beer I've encountered. Taste is huge citrus notes backed by a sugar cookie malt profile. The beer is perfectly balanced. Hoppy bitterness and sweet malt push back and forth and the winner is my tastebuds. PTY is the only other beer I've had that tops this level of balance in a DIPA. Incredible! Feel is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation for the style. No trace of the advertised ABV is noticeable: this is an incredibly balanced and tasty DIPA from Kern River. I would keep it in my regular lineup if I were closer. I will be making the drve to kern county in the future to enjoy this one.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Make more Citra. I always seem to miss out on it. This has added to the legend of this brew but make no mistake, it's not just hype man oh man is it nice. Careful if you like to chug, it tastes like nectar. Doesnt taste anywhere near 8%. I love you Citra. Best DIPA from Central California hands down.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

A: cloudy unfiltered looking with a nice vibrant orange/gold hue

S: Amazing. Tropical notes with a strong underlying smell of citrus. i could smell this beer as it was set on the table. I could smell this for day...

T: Very similar to the smell, tropical fruit with a strong flavor of citrus. Very nice bitterness that is present but not overwhelming.

M: medium bodied with a good amount of resinous oils that coats the tongue.

O: Without a doubt my favorite double ipa. The smell alone is quite intoxicating.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company