Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,893
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 358 | Hads: 1,493
4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this on tap at Toronado (SD) and had to seek out a growler. Thanks Damian (Solomon420)!

A: Pours from growler with a substantial white frothy head. The color is a deep cloudy burnt orange color, really opaque.

S: The first crack of the growler releases a crazy citrusy fruit and hop aroma. One of the best smelling beers I've had.

T: Like the aroma I get a lot of sweet fruits like grapefruit and mango, followed by an extremely fresh hop bitterness. I can taste the Amarillo hop characteristics and am guessing the fruity hop flavors are coming from the Citra, as I've never had them before.

M: Great amount of carbonation, and the viscosity just adds to the flavors.

D: The drinkability is amazing. I know people always say this but I honestly blew through my first glass way too quick. It was gone in about 20 minutes, without even a hint of the 8% abv.

Please Kern River find a way to bottle this stuff! I would love to be able to get a bomber of Citra, the perfect fruity and refreshing DIPA for summer. (1,018 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Orangey gold, mostly clear with an ever so slight haze. Soft white foam of medium retention.

S: Pure tropical fruit, mangos and whatever else your mind's eye conjures up. But, the point is how pronounced the fruitiness is and how genuinely inviting. Nothing detracts from the scent, not sweetness, not alcohol, nothing is out of balance. While, you know there's some alcohol, it only as a subtle side show.

T: Well the first taste continues the perfect experience. My initial thoughts are the perfect tropical fruit notes in the scent carries over into the taste, and the malt sweetness of the DIPA style is muted. There's mostly a tangy, citrusiness to the aftertaste, very pleasant. Bitterness is non-existant. The mouthfeel is proper, not at all thick and in fact could be a tad fully.

O: Second best beer I've had this year (first right now is Alpine-Expo Hoppiness). This brew's outstanding fruit profile almost says to put it in the produce section of your local grocery store. More and more brewers are jumping on the Citra hop bandwagon for good reason. Plus, the level of drinkability is off the charts, the taste flavors keep me coming back for more. I am a HUGE fan of Kern River when I can trade for it, and consider mysself lucky to have gotten a taste of Citra. (1,282 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this in a trade, and have been excited to try it as I love these Tropical Fruit IPA's.

A: Slightly hazy yellow/orange beer with a great head and impressive lacing.

S: Tropical fruits; Mango, Passionfruit abound incredible aroma on this.

T: Everything it smeels like and more, nice clean malt profile that is just enough there while letting the hops(as they should be) be the star of this show. And what a show, low upfront bitterness but some much hop flavor it is amazing.

M: Perfect carbonation level along with a solid but clean malt profile that allows the hops to do their thing.

O: The best DIPA I have ever had, just ahead of fresh Heady Topper. Need to try it side by side with HF Galaxy and possibly rethink that. (731 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Cloudy pale-ish yellow amber. Pours with a nice finger head, which dissipates fairly quickly to a thin foam layer. Nothing special.

S - I could smell the citrusy hoppy goodness as soon as the cap popped off the bottle. Don't even need to put your nose in the glass to smell all the flavors. Delicious grapefruit and tangerine dominate with a bit of dankness and some other citrusy fruit smell. For me the best smelling IPA I've ever had by a decent margin, as I prefer the tropical fruit smells over piney or dank smells.

T - The grapefruit and tangerine from the smell hits first balanced with a perfect amount of hop bitterness and hop oil on the finish. Tastes vibrant, if that makes any sense. Delicious.

M - Smooth start with a dry tingly finish. I've had smoother IPAs (e.g., Abrasive) but I kind of like the change as it moves through across the tongue.

O - My personal favorite IPA, it's as if it's constructed to my personal preferences. I've had it several times, and at one point or another side by side with heady, elder, double sunshine , and abrasive and it's always been my favorite (though those other are also terrific). (1,146 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is truly a delicious beer. Everything about it is outstanding. I tried the lottery to try to buy this beer but no dice this year. I'll keep trying. It's really worth it! (175 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +7%

The beer comes in a hazy bright reddish amber orange with almost tinges of ruby and pink coming through as well, with a fluffy white head.

The aroma is pungent and juicy of tropical and citrus fruits, lots and lots of orange and grapefruit peel. A certain lemon and grapefruit zest and spritziness in the aroma. A big sugary sweetness in there as well.

The flavor follows with a powdery pink grapefruit candy, dried grapefruit and orange peel, tons of sweet dried tropical fruits. A big pineapple juice bitterness.

The beer has a wonderful medium mouthfeel with a fluffy white bread malt in the middle. There’s a sweetness throughout that comes through from beers like Double Jack and Lagunitas Sucks, instead of that white breadiness from VT hoppy brews.

The beer is medium plus bitterness on the finish along with tons of drying. The finish has floral, spicy and herbal bitterness along with tons of fresh grapefruit peel and pith.

This reminds me of an Alpine beer and definitely does a reasonable job standing up against the best from Vermont, although my preference is clearly in the light bready malt than the big sweetness this beer contains. (1,160 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +7%

Huge thanks go out to Sir Paul for this FRESH bottle of Kern Citra!

Cloudy apricot hue, 1 finger of frothy bone colored head, nice retention and splotchy lacing all up in the tulip.

As soon as you pop the cap, you know Citra means business: tons of ripe juicy tropical fruit including mango, nectarine, tangerine. The aroma is an assault on the nostrils in the best possible way.

Taste is exploding with tropical fruit amongst a fresh pretzel dough backdrop, and a touch of clean alcohol in the mix. Slight nick for the booze level, but not a detractor.

Mouthfeel is tremendous, carbonation surprisingly brisk but not overdone, lingering bitterness keeps reminding you of its' greatness.

Kern Citra and Alpine Bad Boy both represent to me the very best of the top notch California IIPAs, and notably, some of the rarest in the country. Citra goes toe to toe with the best small batch Vermont craft brew offerings, and I feel fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to have sampled a fresh bottle. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on this one, this is beautiful stuff. (1,085 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Review from notes. Big thanks to Shane for sharing this bottle with me!

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with one finger of white head on top. Has nice retention and leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. Tons of pineapple, mango, and orange. There is a little bit of caramel malt, but very faint. Not much pine or malt, just straight juicy fruit. Extremely fresh and inviting.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there is a tropical fruit explosion right away. Lots of citrus, pineapple, mango, tangerine, orange, and some grass. There is a bitterness in the middle that I felt in my jaw, but it has a very smooth finish with very little lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Drinks very smooth with a slightly dry finish, but not overly bitter at all.

O: Incredibly drinkable, there is no sign of the 8% abv whatsoever. The flavors are intense and amazing, and it doesn't have the bitterness that most West Coast DIPAs do. One of the best beers I have had period. (1,033 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a nice white head (historically when only on tap it was cloudy orange with some particulates; clarity is as a result, I'm told in a change in brewing procedures for bottling).

Nose is as good as it gets. Huge assertive sweet fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and very inviting. The balance is wonderful.

Flavors are just about perfect. Front palate is rich fresh honey that developes to green pepper, celery, salt, green herbs and finishes with a big grapefruit skin oil bitter character.

This beer deserves the hype and, for me, is the best Double IPA on the market, in my opinion, an opinion held since I first tasted it at the brewery and brought home several growlers.

(Truthfully, years past on tap only have been slightly better only because they have been a bit all around "brighter" which I like.) However, this new bottling is quite good and deserves the hype.

Drink fast - this is not one to hold. (962 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Orange-amber body, hazy and nearly opaque, topped by two fingers of dense frothy foam that slowly settles to a small but lasting cap.

The aroma is unadulterated citrus fruit: lemon zest, orange peel, pineapple. There's also a touch of resiny pine and peach. There's no malt to speak of, but the hop aroma is massive and wonderful. As it warms I pick up more tropical fruit.

The hops are similarly huge on the palate, dominated by lemon, orange and tangerine citrus flavors. There's little malt to speak of, it's dry and crackery, barely providing a foundation for the big hop character. Tropical fruit in the finish with a clean but lingering resiny bitterness. This beer was a big surprise for me, absolutely delicious stuff. (766 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Big thanks to Mulder1010 my 2011 secret santa! This beer was chilled and shared with my wife. The beer was served in Imperial Pint glasses.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy orange coloration. Thick biege head rides the top of the beer. The head lasted throughout the quick disappearance of this beer.

S- Just awesome! This beer delivered one of the best hop fruit aromas I have ever experienced. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, mangoes, papayas and fruit zest combine with resinous pine. Supporting the hops is a mild sweet caramel maltyness.

T- A perfect mirror of the aroma. This beer is all about the hops. In short this beer is fantastic!

M- The body of the beer is medium with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of alcohol in the mouth.

O- This beer is hop loving in a bottle. Dam near perfect beer drinking experience. (829 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a very slightly hazy pale orange, with nice-looking foamy 2 finger white head. Retention is great as the head eventually recedes leaving tons of lacing which stays for as long as I’ve been looking at it.

S – I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped with 3oz of citra; the smell is super distinctive, perhaps the most of any hop variety that I have used to date. Very aromatic orange and grapefruit smells dominate the pine, floral hops which are also present. The freshness of this beer yields an Über hoppy aroma that I cant stop putting my nose into. So wonderfully strong and floral.

T - Taste follows the smell with orange and grapefruit like sweetness, but finishes with a nice piney hoppy bite. Arguably one of the most drinkable beers I have had the pleasure to enjoy. The citrus mango and pineapple are all balanced very well with a perfect amount of malt. Very tasty.

M – Medium bodied with excellent medium carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. This is a very balanced DIPA with slightly higher than average carbonation which I prefer. The ABV is so well masked that I drank the entire bottle with a swiftness like non-other. Supper upset that I didn’t savor this one, rather inhaled it like it was the last thing I would ever get to drink.

O – Overall im really happy I got to enjoy this beer. I had it from growler as well as bottle and think there is no difference whatsoever. This beer definitely lives up to its hype. What really makes this awesome is that its unlike the other west coast IPA offerings. I highly recommend this beer if you can find it. If KRBC is reading this, use your heads and make this available in the Bay Area!!! Oh, and thanks for the awesome beer! (1,740 characters)

On tap at the brewery 6/27/10

A: Cloudy orangish yellow with a white fluffy head.

S: Bursting at the seams with citrus fruits. I could smell this baby all the way from the bartenders hand. The malt mingles nicely with the hop profile. I can already tell citra is going to be amazing.

T: Wow, I have to place citra second to 09 pty . Tangerines, mangos, and oranges engulf my tounge with a very nice balancing sweet malt. The flavor profile starts off with orange fruits, melds into a nice unobtrusive malt, then fades without an abrasive hop bite. I'm confounded because I've never had a dipa this ridiculously refreshing with authentic fruit flavors. Most of the time, ipa's/dipa's have notes of fruit which I assumed was the limit of percievable fruit flavors. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M/D: A nice juicy moderately thick feel with light carbonation. Since the bitterness is perfectly balanced with malts and the orange fruits are f'n delicious, I could drink citra all day long.

I'm glad I made the trip and would defintely like to sample the next batches of citra. Pty is brewed once a year while citra is brewed every few months. Highly recommend trading for a growler. (1,179 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Ap - Very nice darkish-orange color. Head was thin but high and dropped down to about the width of a pinkie. Carbonated well, good lacing.

Ar - Incredible. Subtle tones throughout and very fruity but not at all overpowering. I let it open up for a few minutes and smelled it again. I want this scent as my car air-freshener, that's how I'd sum it up.

T - Off the charts. Sweet at first with bitterness from hops that is almost a bit tart but quickly overtaken again by the hoppy sweetness. Finishes as smooth as any beer I've had and invites another sip.

M - Body was a just a bit thin for my typical tastes, however, the flavor made up for it by a longshot. The medium body simply makes this one more "drinkable" as I wouldn't restrain myself to just one!

O - Outstanding. Just one heck of a great beer.

Serving type: bottle (836 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a pretty clear golden amber color. Very nice and thick white head. Super sticky lacing.

Aroma is nice. Super citric and a bit piny. Juicy hop aroma with a bit of malt. Has that semi mildue aroma that some hoppy beers get though. Not too bad.

Taste is awesome. One of the best IPA's I've had. Nice maltiness with a super juicy citrus hoppyness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is extremely drinkable. Smooth and medium to low carb.

Overall super tasty. Wish I had more. Going to have to hit up the store by me who is suppose to get it tomorrow. (570 characters)

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 4/2/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to cjmencuri for this fresh bottle of deliciousness --

Review #500

A: Cloudy sunset amber-golden. A careful pour yields a killer three finger off-white head that never really fades. The lacing here is off the charts, just gobs of sticky goodness cling to the walls of the glass. Simply gorgeous.

S: Pure citra delight. It's overflowing with mango, grapefruit and tropical juicy delights. As it warms a bit, the clean malt becomes a bit more evident, yet it's in absolute harmony with the hop oil.

T: Just spectacular. The balance is perfect. The luscious and juicy nature of the citra hops is met with and paired beautifully with the biting nature of the amarillo hop oil. The golden malt is masterfully placed. It runs down the spine of the beer, giving it weight and purpose. I can't state enough just how attuned everything is here.

M: I can't say I've encountered a hop forward beer that feels this thick and rich. It almost has the feel of fresh motor oil. It's creamy and dense, yet at no point does it become too much. Approachable as a $100 bill blowing in the breeze.

O: As the label says, "This beer is all about the hops." Damn right. This may very well be the best hop forward beer, let alone Double IPA I've ever consumed. Everything here is pitch perfect, not a flaw in sight. Worthy of it's cult status, and one I plan on tracking down every time it's released.

My highest recommendation. (1,488 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Was able to try this during San Diego Beer Week and San Francisco Beer Week. Both times served from tap in a pint and in 12 oz tulip. The appearance is murky with a slight green-yellow color. The smell and taste is amazing. Citrusy pineapple and mango flavors last from the sniff to the swallow. The mouthfeel is the most amazing part of it, 8% and unfiltered gives it the perfect consistency. It's juicy! Each swallow only makes you crave more. My favorite IIPA. HF Double Galaxy and Heady Topper are a close second and thrid. (527 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to StonedRaider for the trade. Pours a cloudy amber with a thick white head. Good retention and nice soapy lacing. The nose on this DIPA is huge, lots of citrus, tropical fruit, with a hint of dank earthiness. This is what a world-class DIPA smells like. Strong hop bitterness on the front of the palate that becomes fruity and dank. Finishes dry and citrusy. No alcohol burn at all. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Overall, an amazing DIPA, well crafted and supremely drinkable, this one is well worth seeking out. (528 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

This is just straight up awesome. Best IIPA I have ever had.

A: not sure what else I could ask for. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head.
S: amazing citrus with the pineapple really shining through in a big way. Nice light pine smell as well.
T: starts with some pineapple then you really get hit with some mango. It has a nice balance and isn't overly bitter at all.
M: much creamier than I would have thought. Mild carbination just works so well with it.

Overall this beer rocks. It is complex yet balanced. Really an amazing beer. (541 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sending me this growler. I just couldnt resist this one seeing it sit in the fridge for a couple of days

A: A very nice golden orange that is slightly cloudy. Lots of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass and the head it just less than an inch thick of tightly packed slightly off white foam. It retains very well and leaves very nice lacing

S: Damn this is fruity. A huge citrusy pineapple, mango, papaya, some lemon, tangerine, peach, apricot and then a bit of bitter grapefruit as well. There is also a nice sweetness that just faintly comes through. I am blown away by all of the fruitiness with this one

T: Wow, bursting lemon citrus to start followed by the peach and apricot found in the nose. It is like drinking a tropical fruit salad with the freshest and juiciest fruit imaginable. The papaya note comes through a bit more in the end and it finishes with even more citrus!! This is exactly what I want in my DIPAs!!!

M: There is a slight roughness to the feel, and some heat is noticable, but the body is good.

D: Can you say perma-want! Taste wise I would and could drink this all day everyday. Hopefully i will have the chance to get another growler of this one in the near future because this is one bad ass DIPA (1,264 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

I put this one up with Pliny. A magnificent beer that smells of orange, pine, tangelo - enough with the descriptive words. If you know WCIPA's, then this is everything that you've dreamed.

An amazing taste. Phenomenal. In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions - this is a flagship DIPA. One of those "wow" beers that comes along once, maybe twice a year.

EDIT: Also had in bottle ('11) and still an amazing beer. A+ (434 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Bomber split with my brother a day after the release.

Pours a glowing copper orange that is slightly see-through. You see very little carbonation climbing to the top. A nice 2 finger head is formed atop. Extremely tight bubbles that last for quite some time. Thin lacing is left behind, but there's a lot of it.

Smell is intoxicating. I love how simple this beer is. Just loaded to the brim with Citra hops. Nice tropical notes, but just ultra ripe Citra. You can smell it from a good 2 feet away. Absolutely incredible.

Taste follows the outstanding smell. Full of juicy tropical fruits followed by the even juicier Citra hops. I usually like complexities, but this is so one dimensional and I am absolutely blown away by it.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side. Low carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

When I had this on tap at the release I liked it, but didn't love it. Sitting down with the bottle though I am now a complete believer of the hype. This will be a hard DIPA to top, but I look forward to trying to find one that does. Well done KRBC. (1,067 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sharing this awesome beer.

A: Beer is a lovely cloudy golden color. Pours with a thin white head that retains for days, and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is incredible. This is as close as you'll get to just sticking your nose into a bag of citra hops.

T: Pure hoppiness, overloaded with citrus zest. Beer is completely hop dominated with almost no perceptible malt backbone. Love it!

M: unfortunately I think the lack of malt makes the mouthfeel a little thin. It's all hops up front and then the finish just disappears. Not bad at all, just a little different.

D: could drink this for days. Goes down super smooth and just invites more drinking (702 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

First and foremost - a big thank you to Kyle the brewer for finally bottling this and making it a little more accessible for people to try what I consider my favorite overall beer I have ever had.

Appearance: This is one area where I think it is slightly different. The beer is a little more clear coming out of the bottle vs. a growler. A beautiful orange pretty clear with a white head that disappears pretty quick.

Smell: I love the way this beer smells. Its all tropical--pineapple,mango,peach,tangerines, and mandarin oranges. Has a little orange zest in the smell as well-- real strong on all tropical citrus notes. No real malt in the smell just pure hop bliss.

Taste: This is the most easy drinking double IPA you will ever have. When i first had this beer a year ago and change my initial thought was its decently bitter but now after having it numerous times I can say there is a nice malt backing to it to balance out all of those hops. In the front of the taste I get alot of oranges and tangerines followed by some slight pineapple on the finish. Definitely has some bitterness but it does seem pretty well balanced with a slight malt after taste. Pretty dry beer to me so it goes down really easy and quick for me. I could and have polished off a growler in a little over a hr and could not believe it was gone that quick. A easy drinker for me.

Mouthfeel: A little less carbonation than the draft version. It still has a nice mouthfeel but slightly less carbonation none the less.

Overall: I can't wait to get up to Kern for the next time Citra is available. Get a hold of me Kyle and I will just buy you a extra fermenter to keep this thing year around. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this beer. Wish it was closer to me. I have had so many of the IPA's and doubles and all the top tier one's and I can say this really lives up to the hype easily. I could pick this out of a line up blind folded with ease. Nothing compares. Keep up the great work Kyle. Can't to have some more of the 5th Anniversary beer this fall. Keep the great IPA's coming Kyle and I will keep drinking them. (2,110 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to a generous BA for sharing at the Zhukoz release. 64oz growler poured into my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy, golden orange in color. A billowing white head that has great retention. Nice sticky lacing left behind.

A- Lots of tropical fruity goodness. Tangerine and grapefruit dominates. There is also a hint of pineapple in the mix. The hops are nice and pungent.

T- Again, lots of tropical fruits. The oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit shine. The bitterness isn't nearly as in your face as I was expecting, but I'm not knocking it. The malts are definitely in the distance here, but I do get a slight hint of them on the backside.

M- On the thinner side of medium. A nice dry semi-bitter finish. Nicely carbonated.

D- I would drink this for all of eternity. (773 characters)

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company