Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 3,013
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 365 | Hads: 1,526
4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

So...I got a couple of 500ml bottles, filled today, the same day the Growler was opened, from tkunkel, as he was passing through Casper ( he BMd me asking if I wanted some of this beer called Citra. He saw it on my Wants List.) Hehe....thanks, Tom!. He didn't WANT anything in return but I gave him a bottle of something anyway....

I drank the first bottle with no intention of reviewing it. Now on to the second bottle:

A gorgeous cloudy dark orange colour, small but decent head of foam, and even some lacing. Kind of reminds me of a cask ale in appearance. Yep. Me likes.

The smell grabs my nose immediately. Loads of fruits well represented and actually very varied and hard for me to name but I'll do my best: Apricots, grapefruit, oranges, peach...could be more and man, the nose is strong and powerful and OH so inviting.

First sip, sort of, and the numerous fruits in the smell are ALL there! Beyond that, it has a dry hopped kind of bitterness that adds a welcome punch. Not much malt here but by golly, with all the fruitiness and dry hop type of bitterness, you'd *think* this would be a real palate destroyer but...it bloody well isn't! Remarkable.

The body is fairly light for the style and the carbonation is on the lower side as well. Not what *should* add up to a great mouthfeel but it is suiting me well enough and it's going to get a good score. Can't argue with what the mouth tells me. ;^)

Drinkability? This tasty son of a gun is hiding the abv like no other! No warming, no sign of it in the smell or taste. Man! This is one dangerously drinkable DIPA. From Kern River. Whom I've had beers from before and they all tickled me pink. Add Citra DIPA to *that* list as in, this is one of THE best beers in the US today!

Another super thanks again to Tom!!

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bomber poured into SA glass. No bottle dating.

Honey-orange, clear liquid, one-finger white, fluffy head.

Fine hoppy fragrance of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, mango. Fantastic.

The aroma is true as the first sip reveals a wonderful hop experience. Smooth bitterness full of mango, lemon/lime and grapefruit envelopes the taste buds like a velvet glove. Tingling, fruity hop bitterness lingers. Not bitter, but smooth.

Medium body, nicely carbonated. Nothing to complain about.

This one is a winner throughout. The alcohol is well hidden and the Citra hops explode. These hops are becoming my favorite as they impart such a citrus, fruity flavor, reminding me of growing up in Ft Lauderdale and the abundance of enjoyable fresh tropical fruits in my backyard.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

A Copper honey color. Creamy white head. Can't see through. Murky.
S Hits u in the face from far even. Hypnotized. Wish there was a cologne this smell. Floral. Fruity. Hops are super active in the nose. Pineapple tropical smell
M amazing. So well balanced it's ridiculous. U can taste every thing in the same second. There is no stairstepping. Everything hits you right away and it is spectacular. Fruity pinapple hops light bitterness fading very quickly. Fruity not over sweet flavor lingers last. Very pleasing. The hops bite at just the right time. Subjective I'm sure. Just really like this dipa. Every thing seems to mesh so well. The fruity balance of the hops and sugar content all seem to compliment the amount of malt.
O I've had this beer too many times and when it's not available I wonder if I was just in a good mood and overrated it. Yet every time we get it I love every second I spend. My favorite dipa for sure and I compare everything to it. Sorry if this is too ass kissy. It's just that good for me. I quote. I want to make ice blocks out of it and skate on it and then melt it in summer and drink it. Ok too far. I can say the first time I tried i felt like eh it's just another dipa no big deal but more tastings and comparing really do this beer justice

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

First off, this beer was enjoyed at an EPIC stout tasting (KtG, BT, BA Speedway, DL, Jackie O's BA DA, etc...) and this was probably the best beer we had that night. It's just outrageously delicious.

A: Hazy dark citrus orange in color with a nice white bubbly head that fades to a nice layer of foam on the surface. The color makes me want to bathe in it. So beautiful 4.5

S: This stuff should be sold to beer geeks as a sexual pheromone. The aroma on this is just outrageous! First pop of the cap and the waft of tropical/exotic fruits and hops hits your nose immediately. This is a full on aromatic assault of citrus, mangoes, peaches, grapefruit, pineapple and some resinous hoppy citrus hops. Holy shit this stuff smells like sex in a bottle. 5

T&M : Not surprisingly, the flavor follows the nose almost to a tee. A full on mouthgasm of hoppy citrus flavors, mangoes, peaches, pineapple, orange, and enough malt backbone to perfectly compliment everything. The malt backbone almost has a honey like quality but in no way is sweet like honey. Beautiful. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, yet crisp and amazingly refreshing. This is highly, HIGHLY drinkable. This beer is liquid art. 5 / 4.5

O: I don't even know what to say. I think the brewer stumbled upon one of the greatest DIPA recipes known to man. Everything about this is damn near perfect in every way. I can't recommend this highly enough. It's definitely in my top 5 as of right now.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at Toronado (SD) and had to seek out a growler. Thanks Damian (Solomon420)!

A: Pours from growler with a substantial white frothy head. The color is a deep cloudy burnt orange color, really opaque.

S: The first crack of the growler releases a crazy citrusy fruit and hop aroma. One of the best smelling beers I've had.

T: Like the aroma I get a lot of sweet fruits like grapefruit and mango, followed by an extremely fresh hop bitterness. I can taste the Amarillo hop characteristics and am guessing the fruity hop flavors are coming from the Citra, as I've never had them before.

M: Great amount of carbonation, and the viscosity just adds to the flavors.

D: The drinkability is amazing. I know people always say this but I honestly blew through my first glass way too quick. It was gone in about 20 minutes, without even a hint of the 8% abv.

Please Kern River find a way to bottle this stuff! I would love to be able to get a bomber of Citra, the perfect fruity and refreshing DIPA for summer.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Orangey gold, mostly clear with an ever so slight haze. Soft white foam of medium retention.

S: Pure tropical fruit, mangos and whatever else your mind's eye conjures up. But, the point is how pronounced the fruitiness is and how genuinely inviting. Nothing detracts from the scent, not sweetness, not alcohol, nothing is out of balance. While, you know there's some alcohol, it only as a subtle side show.

T: Well the first taste continues the perfect experience. My initial thoughts are the perfect tropical fruit notes in the scent carries over into the taste, and the malt sweetness of the DIPA style is muted. There's mostly a tangy, citrusiness to the aftertaste, very pleasant. Bitterness is non-existant. The mouthfeel is proper, not at all thick and in fact could be a tad fully.

O: Second best beer I've had this year (first right now is Alpine-Expo Hoppiness). This brew's outstanding fruit profile almost says to put it in the produce section of your local grocery store. More and more brewers are jumping on the Citra hop bandwagon for good reason. Plus, the level of drinkability is off the charts, the taste flavors keep me coming back for more. I am a HUGE fan of Kern River when I can trade for it, and consider mysself lucky to have gotten a taste of Citra.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Got this in a trade, and have been excited to try it as I love these Tropical Fruit IPA's.

A: Slightly hazy yellow/orange beer with a great head and impressive lacing.

S: Tropical fruits; Mango, Passionfruit abound incredible aroma on this.

T: Everything it smeels like and more, nice clean malt profile that is just enough there while letting the hops(as they should be) be the star of this show. And what a show, low upfront bitterness but some much hop flavor it is amazing.

M: Perfect carbonation level along with a solid but clean malt profile that allows the hops to do their thing.

O: The best DIPA I have ever had, just ahead of fresh Heady Topper. Need to try it side by side with HF Galaxy and possibly rethink that.

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Cloudy pale-ish yellow amber. Pours with a nice finger head, which dissipates fairly quickly to a thin foam layer. Nothing special.

S - I could smell the citrusy hoppy goodness as soon as the cap popped off the bottle. Don't even need to put your nose in the glass to smell all the flavors. Delicious grapefruit and tangerine dominate with a bit of dankness and some other citrusy fruit smell. For me the best smelling IPA I've ever had by a decent margin, as I prefer the tropical fruit smells over piney or dank smells.

T - The grapefruit and tangerine from the smell hits first balanced with a perfect amount of hop bitterness and hop oil on the finish. Tastes vibrant, if that makes any sense. Delicious.

M - Smooth start with a dry tingly finish. I've had smoother IPAs (e.g., Abrasive) but I kind of like the change as it moves through across the tongue.

O - My personal favorite IPA, it's as if it's constructed to my personal preferences. I've had it several times, and at one point or another side by side with heady, elder, double sunshine , and abrasive and it's always been my favorite (though those other are also terrific).

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is truly a delicious beer. Everything about it is outstanding. I tried the lottery to try to buy this beer but no dice this year. I'll keep trying. It's really worth it!

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

The beer comes in a hazy bright reddish amber orange with almost tinges of ruby and pink coming through as well, with a fluffy white head.

The aroma is pungent and juicy of tropical and citrus fruits, lots and lots of orange and grapefruit peel. A certain lemon and grapefruit zest and spritziness in the aroma. A big sugary sweetness in there as well.

The flavor follows with a powdery pink grapefruit candy, dried grapefruit and orange peel, tons of sweet dried tropical fruits. A big pineapple juice bitterness.

The beer has a wonderful medium mouthfeel with a fluffy white bread malt in the middle. There’s a sweetness throughout that comes through from beers like Double Jack and Lagunitas Sucks, instead of that white breadiness from VT hoppy brews.

The beer is medium plus bitterness on the finish along with tons of drying. The finish has floral, spicy and herbal bitterness along with tons of fresh grapefruit peel and pith.

This reminds me of an Alpine beer and definitely does a reasonable job standing up against the best from Vermont, although my preference is clearly in the light bready malt than the big sweetness this beer contains.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks go out to Sir Paul for this FRESH bottle of Kern Citra!

Cloudy apricot hue, 1 finger of frothy bone colored head, nice retention and splotchy lacing all up in the tulip.

As soon as you pop the cap, you know Citra means business: tons of ripe juicy tropical fruit including mango, nectarine, tangerine. The aroma is an assault on the nostrils in the best possible way.

Taste is exploding with tropical fruit amongst a fresh pretzel dough backdrop, and a touch of clean alcohol in the mix. Slight nick for the booze level, but not a detractor.

Mouthfeel is tremendous, carbonation surprisingly brisk but not overdone, lingering bitterness keeps reminding you of its' greatness.

Kern Citra and Alpine Bad Boy both represent to me the very best of the top notch California IIPAs, and notably, some of the rarest in the country. Citra goes toe to toe with the best small batch Vermont craft brew offerings, and I feel fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to have sampled a fresh bottle. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on this one, this is beautiful stuff.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Review from notes. Big thanks to Shane for sharing this bottle with me!

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with one finger of white head on top. Has nice retention and leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. Tons of pineapple, mango, and orange. There is a little bit of caramel malt, but very faint. Not much pine or malt, just straight juicy fruit. Extremely fresh and inviting.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there is a tropical fruit explosion right away. Lots of citrus, pineapple, mango, tangerine, orange, and some grass. There is a bitterness in the middle that I felt in my jaw, but it has a very smooth finish with very little lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Drinks very smooth with a slightly dry finish, but not overly bitter at all.

O: Incredibly drinkable, there is no sign of the 8% abv whatsoever. The flavors are intense and amazing, and it doesn't have the bitterness that most West Coast DIPAs do. One of the best beers I have had period.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a nice white head (historically when only on tap it was cloudy orange with some particulates; clarity is as a result, I'm told in a change in brewing procedures for bottling).

Nose is as good as it gets. Huge assertive sweet fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and very inviting. The balance is wonderful.

Flavors are just about perfect. Front palate is rich fresh honey that developes to green pepper, celery, salt, green herbs and finishes with a big grapefruit skin oil bitter character.

This beer deserves the hype and, for me, is the best Double IPA on the market, in my opinion, an opinion held since I first tasted it at the brewery and brought home several growlers.

(Truthfully, years past on tap only have been slightly better only because they have been a bit all around "brighter" which I like.) However, this new bottling is quite good and deserves the hype.

Drink fast - this is not one to hold.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Orange-amber body, hazy and nearly opaque, topped by two fingers of dense frothy foam that slowly settles to a small but lasting cap.

The aroma is unadulterated citrus fruit: lemon zest, orange peel, pineapple. There's also a touch of resiny pine and peach. There's no malt to speak of, but the hop aroma is massive and wonderful. As it warms I pick up more tropical fruit.

The hops are similarly huge on the palate, dominated by lemon, orange and tangerine citrus flavors. There's little malt to speak of, it's dry and crackery, barely providing a foundation for the big hop character. Tropical fruit in the finish with a clean but lingering resiny bitterness. This beer was a big surprise for me, absolutely delicious stuff.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to Mulder1010 my 2011 secret santa! This beer was chilled and shared with my wife. The beer was served in Imperial Pint glasses.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy orange coloration. Thick biege head rides the top of the beer. The head lasted throughout the quick disappearance of this beer.

S- Just awesome! This beer delivered one of the best hop fruit aromas I have ever experienced. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, mangoes, papayas and fruit zest combine with resinous pine. Supporting the hops is a mild sweet caramel maltyness.

T- A perfect mirror of the aroma. This beer is all about the hops. In short this beer is fantastic!

M- The body of the beer is medium with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of alcohol in the mouth.

O- This beer is hop loving in a bottle. Dam near perfect beer drinking experience.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a very slightly hazy pale orange, with nice-looking foamy 2 finger white head. Retention is great as the head eventually recedes leaving tons of lacing which stays for as long as I’ve been looking at it.

S – I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped with 3oz of citra; the smell is super distinctive, perhaps the most of any hop variety that I have used to date. Very aromatic orange and grapefruit smells dominate the pine, floral hops which are also present. The freshness of this beer yields an Über hoppy aroma that I cant stop putting my nose into. So wonderfully strong and floral.

T - Taste follows the smell with orange and grapefruit like sweetness, but finishes with a nice piney hoppy bite. Arguably one of the most drinkable beers I have had the pleasure to enjoy. The citrus mango and pineapple are all balanced very well with a perfect amount of malt. Very tasty.

M – Medium bodied with excellent medium carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. This is a very balanced DIPA with slightly higher than average carbonation which I prefer. The ABV is so well masked that I drank the entire bottle with a swiftness like non-other. Supper upset that I didn’t savor this one, rather inhaled it like it was the last thing I would ever get to drink.

O – Overall im really happy I got to enjoy this beer. I had it from growler as well as bottle and think there is no difference whatsoever. This beer definitely lives up to its hype. What really makes this awesome is that its unlike the other west coast IPA offerings. I highly recommend this beer if you can find it. If KRBC is reading this, use your heads and make this available in the Bay Area!!! Oh, and thanks for the awesome beer!

On tap at the brewery 6/27/10

A: Cloudy orangish yellow with a white fluffy head.

S: Bursting at the seams with citrus fruits. I could smell this baby all the way from the bartenders hand. The malt mingles nicely with the hop profile. I can already tell citra is going to be amazing.

T: Wow, I have to place citra second to 09 pty . Tangerines, mangos, and oranges engulf my tounge with a very nice balancing sweet malt. The flavor profile starts off with orange fruits, melds into a nice unobtrusive malt, then fades without an abrasive hop bite. I'm confounded because I've never had a dipa this ridiculously refreshing with authentic fruit flavors. Most of the time, ipa's/dipa's have notes of fruit which I assumed was the limit of percievable fruit flavors. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M/D: A nice juicy moderately thick feel with light carbonation. Since the bitterness is perfectly balanced with malts and the orange fruits are f'n delicious, I could drink citra all day long.

I'm glad I made the trip and would defintely like to sample the next batches of citra. Pty is brewed once a year while citra is brewed every few months. Highly recommend trading for a growler.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Ap - Very nice darkish-orange color. Head was thin but high and dropped down to about the width of a pinkie. Carbonated well, good lacing.

Ar - Incredible. Subtle tones throughout and very fruity but not at all overpowering. I let it open up for a few minutes and smelled it again. I want this scent as my car air-freshener, that's how I'd sum it up.

T - Off the charts. Sweet at first with bitterness from hops that is almost a bit tart but quickly overtaken again by the hoppy sweetness. Finishes as smooth as any beer I've had and invites another sip.

M - Body was a just a bit thin for my typical tastes, however, the flavor made up for it by a longshot. The medium body simply makes this one more "drinkable" as I wouldn't restrain myself to just one!

O - Outstanding. Just one heck of a great beer.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a pretty clear golden amber color. Very nice and thick white head. Super sticky lacing.

Aroma is nice. Super citric and a bit piny. Juicy hop aroma with a bit of malt. Has that semi mildue aroma that some hoppy beers get though. Not too bad.

Taste is awesome. One of the best IPA's I've had. Nice maltiness with a super juicy citrus hoppyness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is extremely drinkable. Smooth and medium to low carb.

Overall super tasty. Wish I had more. Going to have to hit up the store by me who is suppose to get it tomorrow.

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 4/2/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to cjmencuri for this fresh bottle of deliciousness --

Review #500

A: Cloudy sunset amber-golden. A careful pour yields a killer three finger off-white head that never really fades. The lacing here is off the charts, just gobs of sticky goodness cling to the walls of the glass. Simply gorgeous.

S: Pure citra delight. It's overflowing with mango, grapefruit and tropical juicy delights. As it warms a bit, the clean malt becomes a bit more evident, yet it's in absolute harmony with the hop oil.

T: Just spectacular. The balance is perfect. The luscious and juicy nature of the citra hops is met with and paired beautifully with the biting nature of the amarillo hop oil. The golden malt is masterfully placed. It runs down the spine of the beer, giving it weight and purpose. I can't state enough just how attuned everything is here.

M: I can't say I've encountered a hop forward beer that feels this thick and rich. It almost has the feel of fresh motor oil. It's creamy and dense, yet at no point does it become too much. Approachable as a $100 bill blowing in the breeze.

O: As the label says, "This beer is all about the hops." Damn right. This may very well be the best hop forward beer, let alone Double IPA I've ever consumed. Everything here is pitch perfect, not a flaw in sight. Worthy of it's cult status, and one I plan on tracking down every time it's released.

My highest recommendation.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

Was able to try this during San Diego Beer Week and San Francisco Beer Week. Both times served from tap in a pint and in 12 oz tulip. The appearance is murky with a slight green-yellow color. The smell and taste is amazing. Citrusy pineapple and mango flavors last from the sniff to the swallow. The mouthfeel is the most amazing part of it, 8% and unfiltered gives it the perfect consistency. It's juicy! Each swallow only makes you crave more. My favorite IIPA. HF Double Galaxy and Heady Topper are a close second and thrid.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to StonedRaider for the trade. Pours a cloudy amber with a thick white head. Good retention and nice soapy lacing. The nose on this DIPA is huge, lots of citrus, tropical fruit, with a hint of dank earthiness. This is what a world-class DIPA smells like. Strong hop bitterness on the front of the palate that becomes fruity and dank. Finishes dry and citrusy. No alcohol burn at all. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Overall, an amazing DIPA, well crafted and supremely drinkable, this one is well worth seeking out.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

This is just straight up awesome. Best IIPA I have ever had.

A: not sure what else I could ask for. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head.
S: amazing citrus with the pineapple really shining through in a big way. Nice light pine smell as well.
T: starts with some pineapple then you really get hit with some mango. It has a nice balance and isn't overly bitter at all.
M: much creamier than I would have thought. Mild carbination just works so well with it.

Overall this beer rocks. It is complex yet balanced. Really an amazing beer.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to chswimmer for sending me this growler. I just couldnt resist this one seeing it sit in the fridge for a couple of days

A: A very nice golden orange that is slightly cloudy. Lots of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass and the head it just less than an inch thick of tightly packed slightly off white foam. It retains very well and leaves very nice lacing

S: Damn this is fruity. A huge citrusy pineapple, mango, papaya, some lemon, tangerine, peach, apricot and then a bit of bitter grapefruit as well. There is also a nice sweetness that just faintly comes through. I am blown away by all of the fruitiness with this one

T: Wow, bursting lemon citrus to start followed by the peach and apricot found in the nose. It is like drinking a tropical fruit salad with the freshest and juiciest fruit imaginable. The papaya note comes through a bit more in the end and it finishes with even more citrus!! This is exactly what I want in my DIPAs!!!

M: There is a slight roughness to the feel, and some heat is noticable, but the body is good.

D: Can you say perma-want! Taste wise I would and could drink this all day everyday. Hopefully i will have the chance to get another growler of this one in the near future because this is one bad ass DIPA

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

I put this one up with Pliny. A magnificent beer that smells of orange, pine, tangelo - enough with the descriptive words. If you know WCIPA's, then this is everything that you've dreamed.

An amazing taste. Phenomenal. In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions - this is a flagship DIPA. One of those "wow" beers that comes along once, maybe twice a year.

EDIT: Also had in bottle ('11) and still an amazing beer. A+