Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,959
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,505
4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

Courtesy of Mike, who shagged a few bottles at the release the weekend before.

A "flavorful" smell (a mix of citrus and pineapple) with great floral qualities, as well. As for the taste...I think balance was the word. A great balance of hops, sweet, and malty. My new gold-standard for DIPAs. (294 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. Sticker states "Hand bottled Jan. 2, 2011" on bottle neck. Able to try this brew only due to the exceptional generosity of Solomon420.

A: Hazy tangerine-peach with short, 1-finger off-white head with short retention and some formations of lace down the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is perceptible at least 3 feet away, if not further. It is easily one of the best aromas in beer. Massive amounts of citrus fruit waft away with grapefruit, mandarin orange, and lemon all in the mix. Tropical fruit including mango and passionfruit also make an appearance, with floral, blossom flavors there too. Pine and resin are strong, but an unmistakable component of herbaceous, onion-like aroma also hits the nostrils pretty hard. This brew doesn't fashion much of a pale malt aroma, but who cares, it hits all of the big hops check-offs: citrus, herb, floral, resin, and pine.

T: The flavor is excellent and brings all of the hops goodness on the aroma in all the right places with emphasis on the pleasant flavors like grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine resion, and reduces the less desirable flavors like the herbal, onion flavors. This one goes right where OB Gubna went wrong. While the hops flavor doesn't bludgeon you, you submit to the wonderous array of hops flavors available in this brew. The pale maltiness plays a bigger role than you know by keeping the bitterness to a tolerable level. Alcohol is nonexistent in the flavor.

M: The carbonation is low-medium with a light tackiness and good coating quality.

D: A superb DIPA with hops complexity unlike any other. I tried Pliny the Elder this week (again, courtesy of Solomon420), and I have to say, I enjoyed this one a little more. Citra DIPA really exemplifies the West Coast DIPA to me, even better than PtE -- citrus and pine with flashes or raw herbal and floral hoppiness. (1,894 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Opened a box from BA Tieman today expecting some Pliny or something similar and pulled this baby out. Thanks again, Dan!

Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A - Really nice golden color with an awesome soapy, bright white head on top. Nice lacing as well.

S - smells of delicious garlic, some cat piss, fresh cut grass.... basically it's a bold, bright, fresh citra BOMB! Really nice.

T - as the nose predicted but 50x more intense and delicious. Bitter hops, malty balance, and all the citra you can handle. It's about 10 degrees out right now but it's spring time in this glass. Really awesome.

M - extremely smooth considering the nice bite this has. Creamy and the perfect amount of body as it goes down.

O - this beer has a A+ and it's easy to understand why. One of the best I've tasted in my life. (806 characters)

Poured into a nonic.

Body of this beer is a hazy golden/orange color. One finger slightly off white head. Dies down to a cap of foam on top with nice lacing.

Beautiful bouquet of tropical fruits. It smells like pineapples, mango, tangerine, orange rind and grapefruits. Smells amazing.

The taste follows smell. Tons of oranges, pineapples, mango and grapefruits. Some spice, and a tobacco like bitterness. Flavors lean more towards grapefruit and orange rind bitterness than pineapple, mango, and orange sweetness the more you drink of this intensely hopped brew. There is also some subtle buttery diacetyl in there. Simply awesome!

Full bodied, well carbonated creamy carbonation, a nice hop bite and resin bitterness cleaning out the back end.

Easily better than Pliny the Elder, and a contender with Pliny the Younger for the best Imperial IPA I have ever had. (868 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange color with a nice thick head, pretty creamy. The smell is strong, tropical hops, as is the taste. Nice level of bitterness. It has good body, feels nice in the mouth, there's really not much fault to find in this beer. It's one of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I feel like my ratings above might be too tough on it and if you get the chance to try this one, do it. Absolutely outstanding! Thanks to the citra fairy in CA! (442 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +6.1%

Citra pours a golden brew into a large wine glass with a one finger head. The smell is of citrus (orange/grapefruit) with a hoppy scent. The taste follows the nose with the citrus flavors but subside to mango and papaya further back on the palate. The taste is monster hop forward and the Citra hops do not disappoint. I love this beer! For me, it is the only beer that would give Pliny a run for its money. (407 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

22oz Bottle from TheHooch - Thanks again and enjoy the Cherry Rye!
Poured into a TH glass.

A - Hazy with a wonderful orange color with a perfect head. This is what an IPA should look like.

S - The aroma of hops from the bottle gets you excited to taste this beer. The citrus combines with the aroma of the hops to make you want to smell this over and over again.

T - For a DIPA this beer has very little bitterness to it. A sweetness fills your mouth that ends with a hop explosion. For me this is the style of DIPA that I crave for.

M - Full bodied. Very creamy and smooth drinking.

O - This is a great DIPA and one I wish was made more often and easier to find. A Top 5, absolutely. It is right there with the best IPAs I've ever had - Heady, Zombie, Abrassive, PtE. (773 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours a golden copper with a layer of pure white lacing foam. Looks hazy hard to see through.

S- Big aromas of mango, orange and citrus. Small hints of malt.

T- Mango and pineapple, sweet malts and a slight lingering finish of earthy hops.

M- Solid medium body, well rounded. Medium carbonation.

O- Great well rounded dipa. I would drink this again if I could. I would still much rather prefer a heady topper, pliney, or abrasive. Kern river falls just a hair a short. (512 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sending me this growler. I just couldnt resist this one seeing it sit in the fridge for a couple of days

A: A very nice golden orange that is slightly cloudy. Lots of carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass and the head it just less than an inch thick of tightly packed slightly off white foam. It retains very well and leaves very nice lacing

S: Damn this is fruity. A huge citrusy pineapple, mango, papaya, some lemon, tangerine, peach, apricot and then a bit of bitter grapefruit as well. There is also a nice sweetness that just faintly comes through. I am blown away by all of the fruitiness with this one

T: Wow, bursting lemon citrus to start followed by the peach and apricot found in the nose. It is like drinking a tropical fruit salad with the freshest and juiciest fruit imaginable. The papaya note comes through a bit more in the end and it finishes with even more citrus!! This is exactly what I want in my DIPAs!!!

M: There is a slight roughness to the feel, and some heat is noticable, but the body is good.

D: Can you say perma-want! Taste wise I would and could drink this all day everyday. Hopefully i will have the chance to get another growler of this one in the near future because this is one bad ass DIPA (1,264 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

I put this one up with Pliny. A magnificent beer that smells of orange, pine, tangelo - enough with the descriptive words. If you know WCIPA's, then this is everything that you've dreamed.

An amazing taste. Phenomenal. In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions - this is a flagship DIPA. One of those "wow" beers that comes along once, maybe twice a year.

EDIT: Also had in bottle ('11) and still an amazing beer. A+ (434 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Bomber split with my brother a day after the release.

Pours a glowing copper orange that is slightly see-through. You see very little carbonation climbing to the top. A nice 2 finger head is formed atop. Extremely tight bubbles that last for quite some time. Thin lacing is left behind, but there's a lot of it.

Smell is intoxicating. I love how simple this beer is. Just loaded to the brim with Citra hops. Nice tropical notes, but just ultra ripe Citra. You can smell it from a good 2 feet away. Absolutely incredible.

Taste follows the outstanding smell. Full of juicy tropical fruits followed by the even juicier Citra hops. I usually like complexities, but this is so one dimensional and I am absolutely blown away by it.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side. Low carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

When I had this on tap at the release I liked it, but didn't love it. Sitting down with the bottle though I am now a complete believer of the hype. This will be a hard DIPA to top, but I look forward to trying to find one that does. Well done KRBC. (1,067 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to chswimmer for sharing this awesome beer.

A: Beer is a lovely cloudy golden color. Pours with a thin white head that retains for days, and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is incredible. This is as close as you'll get to just sticking your nose into a bag of citra hops.

T: Pure hoppiness, overloaded with citrus zest. Beer is completely hop dominated with almost no perceptible malt backbone. Love it!

M: unfortunately I think the lack of malt makes the mouthfeel a little thin. It's all hops up front and then the finish just disappears. Not bad at all, just a little different.

D: could drink this for days. Goes down super smooth and just invites more drinking (702 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

First and foremost - a big thank you to Kyle the brewer for finally bottling this and making it a little more accessible for people to try what I consider my favorite overall beer I have ever had.

Appearance: This is one area where I think it is slightly different. The beer is a little more clear coming out of the bottle vs. a growler. A beautiful orange pretty clear with a white head that disappears pretty quick.

Smell: I love the way this beer smells. Its all tropical--pineapple,mango,peach,tangerines, and mandarin oranges. Has a little orange zest in the smell as well-- real strong on all tropical citrus notes. No real malt in the smell just pure hop bliss.

Taste: This is the most easy drinking double IPA you will ever have. When i first had this beer a year ago and change my initial thought was its decently bitter but now after having it numerous times I can say there is a nice malt backing to it to balance out all of those hops. In the front of the taste I get alot of oranges and tangerines followed by some slight pineapple on the finish. Definitely has some bitterness but it does seem pretty well balanced with a slight malt after taste. Pretty dry beer to me so it goes down really easy and quick for me. I could and have polished off a growler in a little over a hr and could not believe it was gone that quick. A easy drinker for me.

Mouthfeel: A little less carbonation than the draft version. It still has a nice mouthfeel but slightly less carbonation none the less.

Overall: I can't wait to get up to Kern for the next time Citra is available. Get a hold of me Kyle and I will just buy you a extra fermenter to keep this thing year around. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this beer. Wish it was closer to me. I have had so many of the IPA's and doubles and all the top tier one's and I can say this really lives up to the hype easily. I could pick this out of a line up blind folded with ease. Nothing compares. Keep up the great work Kyle. Can't to have some more of the 5th Anniversary beer this fall. Keep the great IPA's coming Kyle and I will keep drinking them. (2,110 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to a generous BA for sharing at the Zhukoz release. 64oz growler poured into my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy, golden orange in color. A billowing white head that has great retention. Nice sticky lacing left behind.

A- Lots of tropical fruity goodness. Tangerine and grapefruit dominates. There is also a hint of pineapple in the mix. The hops are nice and pungent.

T- Again, lots of tropical fruits. The oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit shine. The bitterness isn't nearly as in your face as I was expecting, but I'm not knocking it. The malts are definitely in the distance here, but I do get a slight hint of them on the backside.

M- On the thinner side of medium. A nice dry semi-bitter finish. Nicely carbonated.

D- I would drink this for all of eternity. (773 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Wow. Just wow. Many thanks to inflames, who sent this pretty much out of the goodness of his heart (though I hope to repay him in kind).

Pours a bright glowing orange. Big frothy white head. Beautiful look, and pretty big head for a DIPA.

Amazing, just amazing aroma. This is something very special. Tons of incredible pink, juicy grapefruit, apricots and tangerines, fresh sliced oranges, pineapple, mangoes,, passion fruit and ... maybe a whiff of fresh pine, but the citrus character is unbelievable. Just incredibly fresh hop bouquet, along with Dreadnaught and Pliny the Younger, best aromas from any member of the IPA family tree I can recall.

Taste is every bit as good, if not better. Incredible biting hop freshness, simply unreal. Juicy oranges and tangerines predominant, but tons of grapefruit, mangoes, pineapple and a host of exotic fruits ... just an amazing brew. Maybe a whisper of malt. Just the barest whisper.

Very good fluffy mouthfeel.

Only regret, difficult work schedule and anticipated growler expiration made it impossible to share this with anyone but the missus, who didn't really like it.

MUST HAVE MORE. One of the finest beers I have ever had. (1,184 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a pretty clear golden amber color. Very nice and thick white head. Super sticky lacing.

Aroma is nice. Super citric and a bit piny. Juicy hop aroma with a bit of malt. Has that semi mildue aroma that some hoppy beers get though. Not too bad.

Taste is awesome. One of the best IPA's I've had. Nice maltiness with a super juicy citrus hoppyness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is extremely drinkable. Smooth and medium to low carb.

Overall super tasty. Wish I had more. Going to have to hit up the store by me who is suppose to get it tomorrow. (570 characters)

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 4/2/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to cjmencuri for this fresh bottle of deliciousness --

Review #500

A: Cloudy sunset amber-golden. A careful pour yields a killer three finger off-white head that never really fades. The lacing here is off the charts, just gobs of sticky goodness cling to the walls of the glass. Simply gorgeous.

S: Pure citra delight. It's overflowing with mango, grapefruit and tropical juicy delights. As it warms a bit, the clean malt becomes a bit more evident, yet it's in absolute harmony with the hop oil.

T: Just spectacular. The balance is perfect. The luscious and juicy nature of the citra hops is met with and paired beautifully with the biting nature of the amarillo hop oil. The golden malt is masterfully placed. It runs down the spine of the beer, giving it weight and purpose. I can't state enough just how attuned everything is here.

M: I can't say I've encountered a hop forward beer that feels this thick and rich. It almost has the feel of fresh motor oil. It's creamy and dense, yet at no point does it become too much. Approachable as a $100 bill blowing in the breeze.

O: As the label says, "This beer is all about the hops." Damn right. This may very well be the best hop forward beer, let alone Double IPA I've ever consumed. Everything here is pitch perfect, not a flaw in sight. Worthy of it's cult status, and one I plan on tracking down every time it's released.

My highest recommendation. (1,488 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Was able to try this during San Diego Beer Week and San Francisco Beer Week. Both times served from tap in a pint and in 12 oz tulip. The appearance is murky with a slight green-yellow color. The smell and taste is amazing. Citrusy pineapple and mango flavors last from the sniff to the swallow. The mouthfeel is the most amazing part of it, 8% and unfiltered gives it the perfect consistency. It's juicy! Each swallow only makes you crave more. My favorite IIPA. HF Double Galaxy and Heady Topper are a close second and thrid. (527 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to StonedRaider for the trade. Pours a cloudy amber with a thick white head. Good retention and nice soapy lacing. The nose on this DIPA is huge, lots of citrus, tropical fruit, with a hint of dank earthiness. This is what a world-class DIPA smells like. Strong hop bitterness on the front of the palate that becomes fruity and dank. Finishes dry and citrusy. No alcohol burn at all. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Overall, an amazing DIPA, well crafted and supremely drinkable, this one is well worth seeking out. (528 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

This is just straight up awesome. Best IIPA I have ever had.

A: not sure what else I could ask for. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head.
S: amazing citrus with the pineapple really shining through in a big way. Nice light pine smell as well.
T: starts with some pineapple then you really get hit with some mango. It has a nice balance and isn't overly bitter at all.
M: much creamier than I would have thought. Mild carbination just works so well with it.

Overall this beer rocks. It is complex yet balanced. Really an amazing beer. (541 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Review from notes. Big thanks to Shane for sharing this bottle with me!

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with one finger of white head on top. Has nice retention and leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. Tons of pineapple, mango, and orange. There is a little bit of caramel malt, but very faint. Not much pine or malt, just straight juicy fruit. Extremely fresh and inviting.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there is a tropical fruit explosion right away. Lots of citrus, pineapple, mango, tangerine, orange, and some grass. There is a bitterness in the middle that I felt in my jaw, but it has a very smooth finish with very little lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Drinks very smooth with a slightly dry finish, but not overly bitter at all.

O: Incredibly drinkable, there is no sign of the 8% abv whatsoever. The flavors are intense and amazing, and it doesn't have the bitterness that most West Coast DIPAs do. One of the best beers I have had period. (1,033 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a nice white head (historically when only on tap it was cloudy orange with some particulates; clarity is as a result, I'm told in a change in brewing procedures for bottling).

Nose is as good as it gets. Huge assertive sweet fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and very inviting. The balance is wonderful.

Flavors are just about perfect. Front palate is rich fresh honey that developes to green pepper, celery, salt, green herbs and finishes with a big grapefruit skin oil bitter character.

This beer deserves the hype and, for me, is the best Double IPA on the market, in my opinion, an opinion held since I first tasted it at the brewery and brought home several growlers.

(Truthfully, years past on tap only have been slightly better only because they have been a bit all around "brighter" which I like.) However, this new bottling is quite good and deserves the hype.

Drink fast - this is not one to hold. (962 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Orange-amber body, hazy and nearly opaque, topped by two fingers of dense frothy foam that slowly settles to a small but lasting cap.

The aroma is unadulterated citrus fruit: lemon zest, orange peel, pineapple. There's also a touch of resiny pine and peach. There's no malt to speak of, but the hop aroma is massive and wonderful. As it warms I pick up more tropical fruit.

The hops are similarly huge on the palate, dominated by lemon, orange and tangerine citrus flavors. There's little malt to speak of, it's dry and crackery, barely providing a foundation for the big hop character. Tropical fruit in the finish with a clean but lingering resiny bitterness. This beer was a big surprise for me, absolutely delicious stuff. (766 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Big thanks to Mulder1010 my 2011 secret santa! This beer was chilled and shared with my wife. The beer was served in Imperial Pint glasses.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy orange coloration. Thick biege head rides the top of the beer. The head lasted throughout the quick disappearance of this beer.

S- Just awesome! This beer delivered one of the best hop fruit aromas I have ever experienced. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, mangoes, papayas and fruit zest combine with resinous pine. Supporting the hops is a mild sweet caramel maltyness.

T- A perfect mirror of the aroma. This beer is all about the hops. In short this beer is fantastic!

M- The body of the beer is medium with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of alcohol in the mouth.

O- This beer is hop loving in a bottle. Dam near perfect beer drinking experience. (829 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a very slightly hazy pale orange, with nice-looking foamy 2 finger white head. Retention is great as the head eventually recedes leaving tons of lacing which stays for as long as I’ve been looking at it.

S – I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped with 3oz of citra; the smell is super distinctive, perhaps the most of any hop variety that I have used to date. Very aromatic orange and grapefruit smells dominate the pine, floral hops which are also present. The freshness of this beer yields an Über hoppy aroma that I cant stop putting my nose into. So wonderfully strong and floral.

T - Taste follows the smell with orange and grapefruit like sweetness, but finishes with a nice piney hoppy bite. Arguably one of the most drinkable beers I have had the pleasure to enjoy. The citrus mango and pineapple are all balanced very well with a perfect amount of malt. Very tasty.

M – Medium bodied with excellent medium carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. This is a very balanced DIPA with slightly higher than average carbonation which I prefer. The ABV is so well masked that I drank the entire bottle with a swiftness like non-other. Supper upset that I didn’t savor this one, rather inhaled it like it was the last thing I would ever get to drink.

O – Overall im really happy I got to enjoy this beer. I had it from growler as well as bottle and think there is no difference whatsoever. This beer definitely lives up to its hype. What really makes this awesome is that its unlike the other west coast IPA offerings. I highly recommend this beer if you can find it. If KRBC is reading this, use your heads and make this available in the Bay Area!!! Oh, and thanks for the awesome beer! (1,740 characters)

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company