2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Citra DIPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra DIPACitra DIPA

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Made with Citra hops.

(Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,075 | Reviews: 338 | Show All Ratings:
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%

I guess if #500 was righteous, so should review #501. . . Had on tap Saturday night at the brewery. Was amazed how much it looked like a hefe, all the suspended yeast and massive carbonation left me w/ said impression. Prior versions like I had at the Bistro seemed more orange, less hazy. Aroma was phenomenal, I think I've come to realize that citra hops are my fave aroma wise.

Taste, very good, would like to see it tame down in abother week or so (but I finished off my growler yesterday, so much for that), meaning the yeast to settle and the carbonation to die down, I thought the carbonation especially muted in a small way, the citra hop taste, the large amounts of pine in the nose from fully resonating on the tongue. Couldn't pick up the mouthfeel characteristics as good.

Great price on these. $4 a pint. $22 a growler.

06-28-2010 20:38:35 | More by Beerandraiderfan
sholland119

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler!

A-Pours a hazy golden apricot with a generous amount of fluffy white head and great sticky lacing.

S-Huge aroma of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, even some peach with a hint of pine as well. A nice malt presence is detectable as well.

T-Sweet, juicy citric hop goodness in the front with a solid malt backbone throughout. This one closes with delicious resinous notes. Wow!

M-Medium bodied, good long lingering hop bitterness.

D-Oh, how I love citra hops! Especially when used to such brilliant effect. More please...

HV

06-28-2010 16:47:19 | More by sholland119
Inflames

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at the brewery, 6-27.
I've had both the previous bathces, and I really enjoyed both, but this one was easily my favorite.
I could try and name off all the pleasent aromas and flavors that everyone else has been describing but I think I'll go a different way.
Just outstanding is easily one of my favorite ipas. I would order it all day long but when Citra is on tap I have to go Citra.
It looks more like a pale ale then an ipa.
Aroma brings me back to two points in my life, 23 years ago standing in my grandmother's garden and driving through the orange fields of Bakersfield in early spring.
The most disappointing part of the taste is the point at which it fades from your palette, which takes quite a bit of time to occur.
For the style the drinkability is scary good, I could end up sitting at the brewery drinking for hours, thus pissing the wife off of course then sleeping on the couch. Thank ____ for growlers.
If you haven't tried this brew yet, do yourself the favre.

06-27-2010 23:36:01 | More by Inflames
washburnkid

4.78/5  rDev +3.9%

Reviewed from detailed notes. I had a lot to say about this incredible beer, but only typed a few sentences down.

A decent froth of white head settles firmly over unfiltered hues of orange and golden. A bit of spidery lacing clings to the glass for the first half of the session. The aromas are seriously juicy, with a great zing of different citrus profiles. Though in the aroma, I can't yet discern the specific fruits, the flavors tell it all. These citra hops deliver immense flavors of grapefruit, passionfruit, and lightly bitter orange zest, seemingly from the sweetest oranges available. The alcohol is there but only if you sit and chew for a while, which is hard to do because the beer is so drinkable. By which I mean, on a hot day, there is nothing better than a medium-bodied, crisply carbonated, and super flavorful DIPA. The drive up to Kernville is worth it for this one. I'm looking forward to the next release!

06-21-2010 21:50:31 | More by washburnkid
gford217

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Huge thanks to Joe for sharing this growler!

Pours a bright hazy golden yellow with a small soapy white head that shows good retention and a bit of lacing.

The aroma is full of juicy sweet citrus fruits - oranges and pineapples. Maybe a bit of floral pine but it's mostly the citrus hops. There is a light crisp pale malt presence as well.

The taste is more of the same with the massive juicy citrus hops dominating from the start. There's a solid bready malt backbone which gives way to a bitterness in the end, partly from citrus but also from a bit of resinous pine hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Extremely crisp with a slightly dry finish.

This is a great DIPA and has a ton of flavor but is insanely drinkable. Glad to have the opportunity to try this one.

06-20-2010 01:36:57 | More by gford217
tkunkel

4.83/5  rDev +5%

A: Pours good with about an inch of thick creamy head.

S: Smells amazing. Huge hoppy citrus smell. All kinds of citrrus smells in here.

T: Great taste. Taste a good malt backbone with lots of citrus hop flavor.

M: Good mouthfeel. Well carbonated for a DIPA.

D: Very drinkable. I could drink this all day.

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I look forward to it every time it comes out. I can't wait until it comes out again later this month.

06-10-2010 03:01:13 | More by tkunkel
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Many many thanks to tkunkel for getting me a growler of this. Thank you, Tom.

Pouring a mildly hazy copper, this beer is capped with a ridiculously thick and dense off-white head with exceptional retention and lacing. The color is a little darker than I'd like, but hot damn, this one looks beautiful!

The nose is a tropical fruit salad and exceptionally so. Mango, papaya, pineapple and passion fruit are all present and by the gobful. A light sweetness is present with some sugar and caramel, but that just enhances the fruity character of this beer. There's a moderate bitterness as well, very lemon zest in character with some grapefruit as well. Fantastic stuff.

Opening sour with a wonderful barnyard funk, this is everything I expect this beer to be. Oh wait, wrong beer. Opening with a fantastic hop character, this one is loaded up front with flavor hops with mango, papaya, some pineapple and a moderate citrus character, akin to tangerines that are almost completely ripe. With a moderate and clean bitterness, this beer is just outstanding. The bitterness has lemon peel and grapefruit characteristics and is very clean and smooth (but not as good as the Nelson I drank last night). The malt character I thought I'd picked up on the nose is mostly absent, there's just a touch caramel sweetness, tying all the components together. Medium-light in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is fantastic on the palate. While not a resin monster that some big DIPAs tend to be, this one is gentle and soothing on the palate with a great finish with great balance between bitterness and hop flavor. I would like a touch more bitterness. Exceptionally drinkable, this is a top notch DIPA that I am going to have to track down again, and often.

06-03-2010 00:06:10 | More by DefenCorps
Thorpe429

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Huge, huge thanks to Solomon420 for getting me out a "growler" of this.

A: Pours a beautiful slightly-hazed apricot color with a very nice
white head and plenty of lacing.

S: Incredible. Absolutely floored by the fruit presence here. Immense aroma of peach, apricot, and a bit of mango. Other tropical fruits as well. At this point, the Citra hops can do no wrong.

T: Not quite as good as the nose, but still extremely delicious. The fruit just pops; there is some bitterness in the background, but not really too much. Similarly, no real malt presence. This is just pure hop flavor and aroma.

M: Medium body with good carbonation and quite smooth.

D: Immensely drinkable, especially for the style. The 8.0%abv does not come through at all. It's simply plenty of delicious hop flavor with a slightly bitter edge to it. While this might not be nearly as bitter as other West Coast beers of the same style, the flavor is just unbeatable; I don't care what the style is.

06-02-2010 02:24:30 | More by Thorpe429
bmanning

4.83/5  rDev +5%

Big thanks to Thorpe429 for sharing this, and to Solomon420 for sending it to him.
A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a one-finger white, foamy head.
S: Perhaps one of the fruitiest DIPAs I've ever had, and I mean that in a very good way. This has the most peach and apricot aroma in any beer that doesn't have the actual fruit in the beer. There is also a lot of pineapple, grapefruit, and orange.
T: Wow! The taste is incredible. There is a HUGE amount of peach and orange in the flavor, followed by lemon, pineapple, passion fruit, and mango. The amount of tropical fruits as well as as citrus in this flavor is astonishing.
M: Very creamy mouthfeel - medium bodied and finishes dry with a lingering citrus bitterness.
D: Goes down nice and smooth, each sip making me thirst for more.
Overall this is one incredible DIPA, and one of the best I've ever had. And considering that the beer I'm reviewing came from a week old hand bottle, I'm completely floored. I can't wait for more breweries to use Citra hops, because it is now my favorite for IPAs. If you are reading this review and have access to this beer, please trade with me!

06-01-2010 21:41:09 | More by bmanning
Bubba83

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewing from notes. Enjoyed with a few beer advocate buds. Very fresh growler courtesy of chswimmer's mountainous driving skills. Thanks Craig!

The body is quite dark orange and cloudy. It has some beautiful apricot like colors. Decent head from an easy pour, okay retention and good lacing. Bright white head.

Fantastic aromas of grapefruit juice and all kinds of other citrus. You almost don't want to drink it because it's so nice to smell.

A lot of complexity in that citrus flavor, well rounded. There's a nice sweetness from the bready malts too, and hints of caramel. There's really not much bitterness coming across in the beer, just lots of vibrant juicy hop flavor. I also get some grassy/hay flavors too.

The mouthfeel is a little bit on the dry side which is kind of confusing since the flavor is so juicy. A tad grainy but it's not detracting too much. It's also a little on the thin side. On the plus side, this all works out to make it pretty refreshing.

So so easy to drink. Nice and refreshing, great flavor, almost hard to imagine this is a double IPA since it's just so vibrant and easy going. No alcohol heat at all here. I feel like I could drink the entire growler myself over the course of a few hours in one sitting.

05-31-2010 21:19:16 | More by Bubba83
Overlord

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow. Just wow. Many thanks to inflames, who sent this pretty much out of the goodness of his heart (though I hope to repay him in kind).

Pours a bright glowing orange. Big frothy white head. Beautiful look, and pretty big head for a DIPA.

Amazing, just amazing aroma. This is something very special. Tons of incredible pink, juicy grapefruit, apricots and tangerines, fresh sliced oranges, pineapple, mangoes,, passion fruit and ... maybe a whiff of fresh pine, but the citrus character is unbelievable. Just incredibly fresh hop bouquet, along with Dreadnaught and Pliny the Younger, best aromas from any member of the IPA family tree I can recall.

Taste is every bit as good, if not better. Incredible biting hop freshness, simply unreal. Juicy oranges and tangerines predominant, but tons of grapefruit, mangoes, pineapple and a host of exotic fruits ... just an amazing brew. Maybe a whisper of malt. Just the barest whisper.

Very good fluffy mouthfeel.

Only regret, difficult work schedule and anticipated growler expiration made it impossible to share this with anyone but the missus, who didn't really like it.

MUST HAVE MORE. One of the finest beers I have ever had.

05-28-2010 07:27:59 | More by Overlord
2ndloveofmylife

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

I was a beer tasting party and some brought a growler of the incredible DIPA. Fairly new and unheard of brewery, but they hit a home run with this one. I ended up blow off the other brews a stay with this yummy brew. It is the best drinking DIPA I have ever had. It starts with a bright citrus hop that dances on your tongue. Its ends anything but bitter, just a fresh hop flavor that lingers.

05-27-2010 19:35:34 | More by 2ndloveofmylife
glid02

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by Joe - much obliged!

Pours a hazy golden-copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of pale malts with hints of darker caramel malts and large amounts of citrus and soft tropical fruit hops.

Tastes very good. Pale malt flavors kick things off with hints of breadiness. Joining in shortly thereafter are robust amounts of citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors. The flavors are very well balanced and carry through to a mildly bitter ending, leaving hints of citrus hop flavors lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is also very good. It's got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is, again, very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall there's nothing singularly exceptional about this beer, rather the exceptional thing is the way all of the flavors work together. A very nice beer and well worth a shot.

05-27-2010 03:11:27 | More by glid02
younger35

3.25/5  rDev -29.3%

Big thanks to dgb3 for generously sending this growler my way. I've had the Citra Hop exactly one time from a homebrewed IPA and it was bomb.com. Drank from my Surly AHA Rally pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a burnt sort of orange with a light bit of chill haze and a perfect one finger creamy off-white head. A decent cap and collar remains along with plenty of thick rich lacing.
Smell- Not as pungent as you'd expect from a big DIPA but it is somewhat fruity. Some papaya, peach and apricot all join the fruit party but I'd just like it to be more intense. The malt is very noticeable as well as there is a bit of a biscuit/caramel malt tinge. Definitely not the typical west coast IPA type smell. Not bad by any means, just not as interesting as I was expecting.
Taste- Hmmm... interesting. Very malty and lightly sweet with a bit of a orange marmalade like thing going on. Maybe some grapefruit and papaya but nothing in the realm of really fruity or citrusy. I get a touch of pine every now and again as well. The malt could be the dominate characteristic in this beer though as some toffee/caramel is evident right from the get go. A grainy sort of toast is present as well. The 8% is hidden extremely well though. I wouldn't guess this beer was over 4-5%.
Mouthfeel- Nice full body with a soft biting carbonation. Probably the best part of the beer.
Drinkability- If I was to take a drink of this beer (not knowing what it was) and was told to guess what it was, NO WAY I'd say a Double IPA. Maybe I'm just too used to the big brash hoppy IPA's but for some reason this beer just didn't do it for me. I had big hopes too considering how good Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA was and how good the homebrewed Citra IPA was that I had. Oh well, can't love every beer but it was still great to try. Thanks much Dan!

05-25-2010 17:20:34 | More by younger35
RustyDiamond

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to jophish17 for sharing this last Friday. Poured a lovely peach color into a tulip glass. White 1/4" fluffy head...quite a super looking glass of ale. Unbelievable dank aroma on this one- subtle pine, white pepper, spearmint, peach with big tropical fruit notes. Very soft and delicate up front then the mango and peach start shining. A hint of bitter navel orange rind, finishing dry with a long lasting hop flavor. Not much malt detected, which I don't mind with an IPA like this. Very, very nice CA DIPA!

05-25-2010 15:29:17 | More by RustyDiamond
callmemickey

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler courtesy of tkunkel. many thanks man!

A: Dark copper-orange-amber body. Large, off-white head formed from a sizable stream of carbonation from the bottom of the glass. Good retention holds the head up for a few minutes before crashing to a nice skim and a well-defined ring. Nice coating of lacing, not sheets, but significant coverage.

S: Tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, grapefruit and orange dominate up front. A nice resinous quality. Freshly baked biscuits and bread. Some zesty spice. I also was getting a hint of caramelized brown sugar. Very interesting. Tons of hops, but a sizable malt base.

T: Like the nose there are massive doses of hops and malt here in the flavor profile. The hops are pronounced with mango and grapefruit separating themselves from the rest of the citric notes. Lots of sweet, freshly baked baked goods.

M: Creamy, medium body with good rolling carbonation. Resinous and oily. Solid bitterness throughout culminating with a nice aggressive bite.

D: All around interesting and enjoyable dIPA. Combines the freshness of west coast style dIPAs with the sweet bakery like malt of big, east coast IPAs.

05-24-2010 01:29:16 | More by callmemickey
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

BIG Thanks to dgb3 for sending this out!! Dan, you are the man!!!

Poured into Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours about a finger of off-white head. Fades to a thick ring, but leaves a ton of sticky lace walls. I am talking about lacing all the way with each sip I take. Color is a hazy burnt copper orange. Fairly dark for the style.

Aroma: Holy sweet fruits!!! Tons of fruit flavors with this dipa. Mangoes, pineapples, grapefruit citrus, and oranges. This is a massive fruit and citrus blast. Pure awesomeness. The fruit is backed up with a big malt backbone which is actually pleasant with this beer. Has a nice pine hop profile to it. I am diggin' this a lot. I really don't think it gets any better than this.

Taste: Again, a massive amount of fruit flavors. Mangoes stick out a lot with grapefruit, pineapple, and orange backing it up. Lots of pine hops, but some floral hops seem to show through a bit. The malts are definitely here, but in a good way. The malts add a level of sweetness to this beer. They seem to be of caramel/bready flavored and really work perfectly with this beer. I am having a hard time finding anything wrong with this one.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, chewy, and hardly bitter at all. Medium to full bodied for the style with a perfect amount of carbonation. The bitterness shows a little more in the aftertaste. The beer ends a little dry with lots of hops and fruit.

Overall... Wow! I am blown away by this beer. This is up there for the best of the best DIPA imo. The level of fruit is amazing. The malts that show are perfect. No booze shows through at all. This beast is very drinkable. I have an entire growler for myself and I have a feeling I will be able to finish it easily tonight. This beer is very drinkable and everything I want in a dipa. So much citrus and fruit flavors. I just can't get over this one. I can see why this beer is all they hype right now. If dipas are your thing, you gotta try this one. One of the best out there.

05-23-2010 04:02:37 | More by mothman
jrallen34

4.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Big props to Jose for hooking me up here.

Pours a hazy dark honey gold with hints of orange. About two fingers of head rises, good sign with a growler, but it fades pretty quickly, Light lacing.

The aroma is kind of light but its nice. Good balance of light sweet citrus on the front with a pronounced but mellow hoppiness. The hops are present throughout, light pine.

The taste is super malty for an ipa, grapefruit, pineapple, light hop finish, a little pine on the very end.

The feel is ok, easy drinker.

Overall, this is interesting, tasty and easy to drink. However, not much of an ipa let alone a double ipa. Doesn't have a ton of hops, so that's a little of a let down. If it was just a bit more hoppy to balance out the malt it would be awesome.

05-22-2010 02:05:33 | More by jrallen34
Kegatron

4.28/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to Deuane for hooking us up with this growler of hoppy goodness from CA.

Pours a slightly hazed copper, with a finger of rich bright-white head. Very nice looking full flare-up on this, which drenches the sides of the glass with heavy lacing. The aroma has a big hoppy bouquet on it, full of floral hops, spice, pine cones, a bit of herbal dankness, and a ton of DEEP tropical fruit character. There is some stiff toasted graininess behind all of those hops but most of the sweetness here is mostly coming from all of that juicy citrus character.

Those same hops blast off in the taste, being rich with spice, lighter resins, and citrus. A combo of tropical sweetness (mango & pineapple) and more bitter offerings (grapefruit) really gives the profile a biting and tangy fruitiness. The malt backbone gives comes off as more of a toasted grainy presence, offering up some balance but not necessarily a whole lot of sweetness. Just enough to really let those hops come to the forefront and shine. Very bitter and gritty finish on this, with spice and grapefruit especially lingering hard on the tongue. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, large and sharp feeling creaminess to this that fills the palate up with flavor. There is some gentle warmth to the body but that 8% ABV is really fantastically hidden here.

You know, this was a VERY good DIPA, just dripping with hop flavor and possessing a ridiculously drinkable body for the size of it. This just lacked a certain bright feeling "pop" to the flavors that I could tell should have been there but had probably diminished some after a cross country journey. I could believe that this on draft or in a freshly filled growler would definitely get this up into World Class status. This is still very much recommended checking out.

05-13-2010 14:37:28 | More by Kegatron
ffejherb

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler with the members of Team D(r)INK on 5/1/10.

A - Emerged from its vessel as a hazy golden orange-colored liquid with a hint of carbonation and firm, bubbly white head that transformed into an abundance of sticky lace around the glass.

S - Nose is quite citrus-forward as expected, but with more depth than I had originally anticipated. A hint of catbox is present, as well as mild pine and resinous notes. Aroma is somewhat pungent and a bit lacking, but not crazy for a DIPA.

T - Heaps of bitter citrus hops with a hint of catbox quality in the middle. Overall, this packs a seriously aggressive hop bite with plenty of citrus fruit and some resin and pine for good measure. There is also an oily perfumy character present. Finishes with a sweet, grainy malt character and some residual spiciness in the finish.

M - Texture is quite oily and softly carbonated overall, with perhaps a subtle prickle on the tongue. Finishes with assertive hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Complex for a DIPA, especially considering this was brewed with a single hop variety. While there is an abundance of citrus hops, there is definitely more happening beneath the surface.

05-10-2010 19:55:49 | More by ffejherb
emerge077

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Mad propers to Alex for breaking out this surprise growler recently... Review transcribed from notes.

Poured into a tasting glass, it had a peachy orange tone and a fluffy cap of lasting foam. Pleasantly hazed and unfiltered. Drippy arcs of lacing form inside the glass as its sipped. Good retention, with a lasting skim across the surface.

Complex ultra-fruity citrus aroma, orange, grapefruit, and more... mangoes even?! Dank and resiny, i'm really digging the Citra on showcase in here.

Hands down the most exact resemblance to grapefruit juice i've ever experienced in a beer. Almost identical to a glass of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Wow. Pure unadulterated grapefruit citrus bomb. Subtle hop bitterness comes across too, leafy and green. Soft supple feel, light even carb, not quite approaching syrupy. This stuff was awesome. Thanks Alex for turning me on to Kern River... this gives Pliny a run for it's money, no doubt.

04-27-2010 23:46:52 | More by emerge077
jmadrigal2

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this on tap at the Kern River Brew pub. I think the other reviews speak for this beer. I could just sit and smell this beer all day it smells so good. It's a tropical fruit salad. The taste is great as well. As far as drinkability, I could drink a growler in a siting it's so good. Get some!

04-27-2010 02:20:34 | More by jmadrigal2
MasterSki

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%

Big thanks to Jose for sending me this one from the heart of Sequoia National Forest. Shared with the Chicago crowd, served in a Hopleaf tulip glass.

A - Pours with two-plus fingers of off-white foam that slowly dissipates to a chunky cap and leaves plenty of splotchy lacing. The body is a hazy, nearly opaque, golden peach color - I can just barely see my fingers through the glass. If the body glowed a bit more this would have been perfect.

S - Smells like a ton of hops! Is this really a single-hop DIPA, because it smells like there are bunch of things in here? Lots of fresh oranges, citrus rinds, notes of pine and dank earthiness, maybe a touch of chive in the periphery. The malt bill adds only the slightest bit of sugary support. When it's warm there's the slightest hint of alcohol.

T - The taste is nearly as good, with lots of juicy sugary citrus. It's still incredibly hop-forward but some of the complexity and depth has been smoothed out. Still, it's hands down quite delicious. The bitterness is surprisingly well-attenuated for the style - it's like that guy who makes a brief appearance at the party, but then cuts out long before it ends. I could actually have stood for a little more fierceness in this area. It's not quite at 4.5 level for me, but I bumped up some other areas a notch to compensate for the lower score here.

M - Nice enamel coating resins. Medium-thick body with more than a sufficient amount of heftiness. Low, softer carbonation, and a light dry finish. Very good, but not game-changing.

D - Once I opened this, I immediately regretted sharing it - I probably could have had it on my own (and then been falling-down drunk). This is up there with the most excellent Breakwater Maverick's for best DIPA of 2010, and was a little better than the fresh Dreadnaught we opened immediately afterward. Highly recommended.

04-23-2010 14:28:41 | More by MasterSki
beertooth

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to Alex for sharing this tasty beverine.

This beer pours a cloudy golden liquid with a nice pocked up sticky layer of off white head.

The nose is soapy, dank, and cheesy with tons of grapefruit and other citrus.

The Taste follows with blasts of dank, soapy hops. Some mellow sweet malts are poking through, but the hops are killing it here. This is a serious grapefruit bomb. Tasty stuff!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent level of carbonation.

A damn tasty DIPA for sure. Thanks again to Alex for bringing this over to Joe's.

04-23-2010 01:38:51 | More by beertooth
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to drabmuh for splitting his growler with me.

A: Very hazy yellow/orange with an excellent, thick head and awesome retention and lacing.

S: As soon as the growler opened, the hop aromas began arousing my palate. A gargantuan aroma, and probably the most robust scents I have found in a DIPA. Enticing grapefruit and mango. Go citra hops!

T: Delicious. It doesn't taste quite as amazing as it smells, but it's pretty tasty nonetheless. This beer is hops, hops, hops. What a fabulous blend of citrus flavors. Forget balance, give me an insanely hopped, delicious, refreshing, well crafted DIPA. Kern has delivered.

M: Very pleasant bitter finish. Very nice.

D: A fine brew I look forward to having again. It's easy to throw back a few pints of Citra DIPA. Highly recommended.

04-20-2010 00:28:26 | More by Huhzubendah