Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Citra Double IPA | Kern River Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Kern River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 379 | Ratings: 1,623
4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to PeaceLoveBear for this one!

A-pours a dirty murky brown liquid with dark orange edges with a fair amount of dirty white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S-the nose has this buttery dough with caramel malt base up front, same as the just outstanding IPA, tons of hops take ever, lots of bitter pine, citrus hops galore, big in the nose.

T-the taste has a very light doughy flavor, notes of caramel, syrupy pine, tons of citrus in the back, grapefruit mostly, moderate bitterness that is quite pleasant and doesn't linger or sting the back of the tongue.

M-medium bodied, a little syrupy, creamy up front with lots of carbonation giving it a somewhat grainy feel in the back.

D-this has a big balance of malt and hop, the citrus comes in nicely and the bitterness is moderate. not as huge as I thought this was going to be nor as hoppy. the balance was very nice and I actually really enjoy this buttery dough flavor their IPA's have had. Very solid IPA, not Pliny but darn good!

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Growler received in trade with mrbubbler. I've been lucky getting some of my larger wants lately and this is one of the biggest - big thanks for the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a yeasty hazed slightly dirty golden tinted orange. A finger of white foam briefly lingers before falling to a thick, tight bubbled collar with uneven islands on the surface. Nice sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells just like a freshly peeled grapefruit. Really can't think of anything else to say about this. The citrus is just huge - not at all complex, but I do love a good glass of grapefruit juice, so this is all good with me.

T - As expected from the aroma, grapefruit is high in intensity and right in your face. Flavor definitely has a bit more complexity than the aroma. Sitting beside the grapefruit is some nice pine...thick and resiny. Pineapple, some sweaty peaches and tropical fruits are in here too and complement the huge citrus component. Bitterness is medium to high but the wonderful citrus seems to mask its intensity a bit to give a well rounded (not balanced tho) flavor. Malt is hardly to not at all detectable. This is a hop lover's fantasy beer.

M - A bit on the lighter side of medium bodied, which is a bit of a surprise, but not an unpleasant one. Carbonation is medium which seems just about right...a touch prickly on the tip of the tongue but settles to a light tingle with a touch of creaminess. Very resiny and a bit sticky feeling.

D - This truly is a great west coast variety DIPA. The alcohol is really totally unnoticeable, even at 8.0%...it is hidden really well...kinda scary. Tons and tons of citrus and pine flavors...enough to satisfy any hop lover. Ample bitterness although not in a palate busting way. This is definitely a beer that needs to be enjoyed fresh. The hops really shine here...it would be a shame to let a beer like this fade with any age on it. Definitely a winner - I'd easily call this one of the best out there.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Hazy dark orange color. Two fingers of thick, creamy off-white head. Good retention and plenty of spotty lacing.

5.0 S: Big hop explosion like a fresh Hopslam, but without the malty backbone. Absolutely tons and tons of orange, apricot, candied mango, grapefruit and a host of other tropical fruits. Slightly yeasty, and you can tell the malts are there, but they get lost in the wonderful hops.

4.5 T: Again, the hops deliver. Grapefruit and pine take over in the taste. Moderate, but soft bitterness. Lots of orange, peach, and tropical fruit. Yeasty again, but barely noticeable compared to the other flavors. Malts give a touch of sweetness to balance and not much else.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body, not the shitty watery like many west coast IPAs. This is just how I like my DIPAs. Wonderfully creamy and a bit chewy.

5.0 D: I wasn't sure if this would live up to the hype, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is definitely an elite DIPA. I just wish it was a bit easier for me to get. No flaws and lots of great qualities.

4.8/5  rDev +5%

A: The pour is a slightly hazed golden orange color with a massive white head and tons of white lacing.

S: The nose is amazingly fruity and hoppy. Lots of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and mango. Maybe just a hint of pine in there too.

T: A good bitterness, but not quite as intense as something like Pliny or Ruination. But it works almost perfectly with the intense fruity nature of the beer. Same "fruit salad" flavors noted in the nose.

M: The body is medium with plenty of carbonation and a moderate bitterness on the finish.

D: My earlier serving of this beer was good, but nowhere near as impressive as this one. A fantastic Double IPA and a nice showing of the Citra hop.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Bought from the brewery and brought to my house. Consumed with friends this past Tuesday. Poured into a snifter glass.

A - Hazy orange color with a finger width of pillowy head. There is lots of lacing, and a nice ring settles to the top of the beer as I drink it.

S - Orange, pineapple, citrus, guava. All of the tropical fruits are covered. There's a tiny bit of sweetness and just a touch of pine on the finish. As the beer opens up, just a bit of boozy/peppery smell comes out too.

T - Lots of citrus hops with a touch of pine. Definitely hope forward with the pine lingering. It follows the nose very well. And just like the smell, as the beer opens, it becomes a tad bit peppery, and just a slight boozy finish.

M - A rather light mouthfeel, which is different for a DIPA. There is ample carbonation, maybe a tad too much. My tongue is lift a bit prickly.

D - Uhhhmmm, yeah. This is definitely drinkable. Not the best DIPA I've ever had, but solid, and I'd never pass on it.

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to kbm for the growler. As always, Kevin es el hombre grande!

Copper pour with a fluffy, 2 finger head. Pretty hazy and cloudy.

Citrus and floral hops in the nose. Picking up pineapple, lemon and grapefruit. Smells really really nice.

The taste is a slight letdown from the smell but still very pleasant. There's a biscuit-like breadiness that I didn't pick up earlier. I'm grabbing some mango, tangerine and possibly papaya as well. While bitter... it doesn't go overboard, which is a little disappointing. Finishes mostly dry and grainy.

Medium-body with good carbonation. This is a very drinkable DIPA but not in the same class as Pliny, Boy King or even Double Daisy Cutter. There just isn't enough hops in here for me to go ape over this. Still, it hides that 8% tremendously well and I'm thankful for the opportunity.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to a generous BA for sharing at the Zhukoz release. 64oz growler poured into my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy, golden orange in color. A billowing white head that has great retention. Nice sticky lacing left behind.

A- Lots of tropical fruity goodness. Tangerine and grapefruit dominates. There is also a hint of pineapple in the mix. The hops are nice and pungent.

T- Again, lots of tropical fruits. The oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit shine. The bitterness isn't nearly as in your face as I was expecting, but I'm not knocking it. The malts are definitely in the distance here, but I do get a slight hint of them on the backside.

M- On the thinner side of medium. A nice dry semi-bitter finish. Nicely carbonated.

D- I would drink this for all of eternity.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a nonic.

Body of this beer is a hazy golden/orange color. One finger slightly off white head. Dies down to a cap of foam on top with nice lacing.

Beautiful bouquet of tropical fruits. It smells like pineapples, mango, tangerine, orange rind and grapefruits. Smells amazing.

The taste follows smell. Tons of oranges, pineapples, mango and grapefruits. Some spice, and a tobacco like bitterness. Flavors lean more towards grapefruit and orange rind bitterness than pineapple, mango, and orange sweetness the more you drink of this intensely hopped brew. There is also some subtle buttery diacetyl in there. Simply awesome!

Full bodied, well carbonated creamy carbonation, a nice hop bite and resin bitterness cleaning out the back end.

Easily better than Pliny the Elder, and a contender with Pliny the Younger for the best Imperial IPA I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

So...I got a couple of 500ml bottles, filled today, the same day the Growler was opened, from tkunkel, as he was passing through Casper ( he BMd me asking if I wanted some of this beer called Citra. He saw it on my Wants List.) Hehe....thanks, Tom!. He didn't WANT anything in return but I gave him a bottle of something anyway....

I drank the first bottle with no intention of reviewing it. Now on to the second bottle:

A gorgeous cloudy dark orange colour, small but decent head of foam, and even some lacing. Kind of reminds me of a cask ale in appearance. Yep. Me likes.

The smell grabs my nose immediately. Loads of fruits well represented and actually very varied and hard for me to name but I'll do my best: Apricots, grapefruit, oranges, peach...could be more and man, the nose is strong and powerful and OH so inviting.

First sip, sort of, and the numerous fruits in the smell are ALL there! Beyond that, it has a dry hopped kind of bitterness that adds a welcome punch. Not much malt here but by golly, with all the fruitiness and dry hop type of bitterness, you'd *think* this would be a real palate destroyer but...it bloody well isn't! Remarkable.

The body is fairly light for the style and the carbonation is on the lower side as well. Not what *should* add up to a great mouthfeel but it is suiting me well enough and it's going to get a good score. Can't argue with what the mouth tells me. ;^)

Drinkability? This tasty son of a gun is hiding the abv like no other! No warming, no sign of it in the smell or taste. Man! This is one dangerously drinkable DIPA. From Kern River. Whom I've had beers from before and they all tickled me pink. Add Citra DIPA to *that* list as in, this is one of THE best beers in the US today!

Another super thanks again to Tom!!

4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Best part of the beer, nice cloud/haze to a honey-straw-golden pour. Perfect white head which leaves some good craggy peaks, although not much lacing down the glass.

Smell: Second best part of the beer, rich grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, and mango. Very fresh and moist. Maybe the best part.

Taste: Here is where we run into trouble, this is a little behind pliny the younger and further behind Boy King. A good bit of the problem I think stems from the mouthfeel (more later). Its got the elements of the nose, the grapefruit, pineapple, orange, mango, etc; but not in abundance as I had hoped. Also doesn't have that great hop (not malt) sweetness that the top dogs do. Not as hoppy as I had hoped either.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I had hoped, which affects the taste as well. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: Probably higher on the DIPA side due to lack of intensity, but I am not sure that is a good thing. Very good, but not best of show (or even really in the running).

BIG thank you to jobcrackerbah for this...

64oz growler into my Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Hazy orange. Nice head, esp. from a cross-country growler. Lacing is sticky and just a few shades off-white. Second pout gets a nice 2-finger head. Good lacing rings.

S- Oranges! Smells like an Orangina. Some grapefruit, something vaguely peppery... Unique.

T- Follows the nose. Citra hops taste like... citrus. Heavy grapefruit, tangerine, clementine. Some white grape in there too. Bit of pine resin and some lasting bitterness. Fruity but not overly sweet. Almost get the tartness from the fruit out of these hops... very flavorful.

M- All hops, not much malt. Good carbonation (surprisingly good considering the voyage of this growler) and superb mouthfeel.

D- Growler? Done. As good as PtY? I don't think so... but it's damn close, and if I had them side-by-side I might be singing a different tune. It's that close... A great DIPA. Surely going to become Kern's most requested. Glad I got to try this.

Now that I look at this.. seems this and PtE are the same ABV. This is something I'd take over PtE any day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Growler received in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange / copper with a 2 finger off white crown that shows moderate retention and blankets of lace.

Smell: Tropical bliss over bready malt. Pineapples, oranges, mango, grapefruit, and a touch of pine.

Taste: Same as nose but more pungent. Well balanced to me...a lover of hop dominant "west coast style" IPA's and DIPA's!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability: All day yo!

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Growler opened on the 4th of July thanks to my homie, Gorefiendus! Muchos gracis! Split with friends into tasting glasses.

A - Pours a hazy golden/copper color, white head, lots of bubbles here and there, good lacing/retention, nice cap on top. A really nice looking DIPA we have here.

S - Hops, dankness, floral notes, light citrus zest. Lots of stuff going on here, but overall, a lot of hops and citrus. Not as overwhelming and in-your-face as I was expecting, which I like. It's subtle yet you know it's all there...so good.

T - Similar to the nose. Dank hops, floral notes, lemon/lime zest, grapefruit. Not too powerful, just right. This is a monster, but very well done. Really enjoying the hops and citrus...nice! Citrus/bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied, sticky on the palate, decently dry finish and very crisp and clean.

D - So so good, worthy of it's rank on here. I didn't think this one was going to be so good, but I was wrong. I drank several glasses out of the growler...probably a large majority of it. I want more!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

thanks to jmadrigal2 for the growler.

A:Brilliant cloudy golden orange hue with nice fluffy white lacing
S+T:Citra...us. Citrus and tropihops. Grapefruit, orange peels, some nice pine. Nice bready malt plays second fiddle. I find this incredibly well balanced and nice sweet finish with bitter resiny linger.
M: Terrifc mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation but fluffy at the same time (if that makes sense). Very nice.
D: I dont detect the abv at all. Goes down so easily. I might finish this whole growler off...

Yep, I did. Just an excellent DIPA in every aspect. No weak points at all.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

On tap at the brewery 6/27/10

A: Cloudy orangish yellow with a white fluffy head.

S: Bursting at the seams with citrus fruits. I could smell this baby all the way from the bartenders hand. The malt mingles nicely with the hop profile. I can already tell citra is going to be amazing.

T: Wow, I have to place citra second to 09 pty . Tangerines, mangos, and oranges engulf my tounge with a very nice balancing sweet malt. The flavor profile starts off with orange fruits, melds into a nice unobtrusive malt, then fades without an abrasive hop bite. I'm confounded because I've never had a dipa this ridiculously refreshing with authentic fruit flavors. Most of the time, ipa's/dipa's have notes of fruit which I assumed was the limit of percievable fruit flavors. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M/D: A nice juicy moderately thick feel with light carbonation. Since the bitterness is perfectly balanced with malts and the orange fruits are f'n delicious, I could drink citra all day long.

I'm glad I made the trip and would defintely like to sample the next batches of citra. Pty is brewed once a year while citra is brewed every few months. Highly recommend trading for a growler.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

I guess if #500 was righteous, so should review #501. . . Had on tap Saturday night at the brewery. Was amazed how much it looked like a hefe, all the suspended yeast and massive carbonation left me w/ said impression. Prior versions like I had at the Bistro seemed more orange, less hazy. Aroma was phenomenal, I think I've come to realize that citra hops are my fave aroma wise.

Taste, very good, would like to see it tame down in abother week or so (but I finished off my growler yesterday, so much for that), meaning the yeast to settle and the carbonation to die down, I thought the carbonation especially muted in a small way, the citra hop taste, the large amounts of pine in the nose from fully resonating on the tongue. Couldn't pick up the mouthfeel characteristics as good.

Great price on these. $4 a pint. $22 a growler.

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler!

A-Pours a hazy golden apricot with a generous amount of fluffy white head and great sticky lacing.

S-Huge aroma of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, even some peach with a hint of pine as well. A nice malt presence is detectable as well.

T-Sweet, juicy citric hop goodness in the front with a solid malt backbone throughout. This one closes with delicious resinous notes. Wow!

M-Medium bodied, good long lingering hop bitterness.

D-Oh, how I love citra hops! Especially when used to such brilliant effect. More please...

HV

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at the brewery, 6-27.
I've had both the previous bathces, and I really enjoyed both, but this one was easily my favorite.
I could try and name off all the pleasent aromas and flavors that everyone else has been describing but I think I'll go a different way.
Just outstanding is easily one of my favorite ipas. I would order it all day long but when Citra is on tap I have to go Citra.
It looks more like a pale ale then an ipa.
Aroma brings me back to two points in my life, 23 years ago standing in my grandmother's garden and driving through the orange fields of Bakersfield in early spring.
The most disappointing part of the taste is the point at which it fades from your palette, which takes quite a bit of time to occur.
For the style the drinkability is scary good, I could end up sitting at the brewery drinking for hours, thus pissing the wife off of course then sleeping on the couch. Thank ____ for growlers.
If you haven't tried this brew yet, do yourself the favre.

4.73/5  rDev +3.5%

Reviewed from detailed notes. I had a lot to say about this incredible beer, but only typed a few sentences down.

A decent froth of white head settles firmly over unfiltered hues of orange and golden. A bit of spidery lacing clings to the glass for the first half of the session. The aromas are seriously juicy, with a great zing of different citrus profiles. Though in the aroma, I can't yet discern the specific fruits, the flavors tell it all. These citra hops deliver immense flavors of grapefruit, passionfruit, and lightly bitter orange zest, seemingly from the sweetest oranges available. The alcohol is there but only if you sit and chew for a while, which is hard to do because the beer is so drinkable. By which I mean, on a hot day, there is nothing better than a medium-bodied, crisply carbonated, and super flavorful DIPA. The drive up to Kernville is worth it for this one. I'm looking forward to the next release!

4.57/5  rDev 0%

Huge thanks to Joe for sharing this growler!

Pours a bright hazy golden yellow with a small soapy white head that shows good retention and a bit of lacing.

The aroma is full of juicy sweet citrus fruits - oranges and pineapples. Maybe a bit of floral pine but it's mostly the citrus hops. There is a light crisp pale malt presence as well.

The taste is more of the same with the massive juicy citrus hops dominating from the start. There's a solid bready malt backbone which gives way to a bitterness in the end, partly from citrus but also from a bit of resinous pine hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Extremely crisp with a slightly dry finish.

This is a great DIPA and has a ton of flavor but is insanely drinkable. Glad to have the opportunity to try this one.

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours good with about an inch of thick creamy head.

S: Smells amazing. Huge hoppy citrus smell. All kinds of citrrus smells in here.

T: Great taste. Taste a good malt backbone with lots of citrus hop flavor.

M: Good mouthfeel. Well carbonated for a DIPA.

D: Very drinkable. I could drink this all day.

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I look forward to it every time it comes out. I can't wait until it comes out again later this month.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Many many thanks to tkunkel for getting me a growler of this. Thank you, Tom.

Pouring a mildly hazy copper, this beer is capped with a ridiculously thick and dense off-white head with exceptional retention and lacing. The color is a little darker than I'd like, but hot damn, this one looks beautiful!

The nose is a tropical fruit salad and exceptionally so. Mango, papaya, pineapple and passion fruit are all present and by the gobful. A light sweetness is present with some sugar and caramel, but that just enhances the fruity character of this beer. There's a moderate bitterness as well, very lemon zest in character with some grapefruit as well. Fantastic stuff.

Opening sour with a wonderful barnyard funk, this is everything I expect this beer to be. Oh wait, wrong beer. Opening with a fantastic hop character, this one is loaded up front with flavor hops with mango, papaya, some pineapple and a moderate citrus character, akin to tangerines that are almost completely ripe. With a moderate and clean bitterness, this beer is just outstanding. The bitterness has lemon peel and grapefruit characteristics and is very clean and smooth (but not as good as the Nelson I drank last night). The malt character I thought I'd picked up on the nose is mostly absent, there's just a touch caramel sweetness, tying all the components together. Medium-light in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is fantastic on the palate. While not a resin monster that some big DIPAs tend to be, this one is gentle and soothing on the palate with a great finish with great balance between bitterness and hop flavor. I would like a touch more bitterness. Exceptionally drinkable, this is a top notch DIPA that I am going to have to track down again, and often.

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge, huge thanks to Solomon420 for getting me out a "growler" of this.

A: Pours a beautiful slightly-hazed apricot color with a very nice
white head and plenty of lacing.

S: Incredible. Absolutely floored by the fruit presence here. Immense aroma of peach, apricot, and a bit of mango. Other tropical fruits as well. At this point, the Citra hops can do no wrong.

T: Not quite as good as the nose, but still extremely delicious. The fruit just pops; there is some bitterness in the background, but not really too much. Similarly, no real malt presence. This is just pure hop flavor and aroma.

M: Medium body with good carbonation and quite smooth.

D: Immensely drinkable, especially for the style. The 8.0%abv does not come through at all. It's simply plenty of delicious hop flavor with a slightly bitter edge to it. While this might not be nearly as bitter as other West Coast beers of the same style, the flavor is just unbeatable; I don't care what the style is.

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Thorpe429 for sharing this, and to Solomon420 for sending it to him.
A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a one-finger white, foamy head.
S: Perhaps one of the fruitiest DIPAs I've ever had, and I mean that in a very good way. This has the most peach and apricot aroma in any beer that doesn't have the actual fruit in the beer. There is also a lot of pineapple, grapefruit, and orange.
T: Wow! The taste is incredible. There is a HUGE amount of peach and orange in the flavor, followed by lemon, pineapple, passion fruit, and mango. The amount of tropical fruits as well as as citrus in this flavor is astonishing.
M: Very creamy mouthfeel - medium bodied and finishes dry with a lingering citrus bitterness.
D: Goes down nice and smooth, each sip making me thirst for more.
Overall this is one incredible DIPA, and one of the best I've ever had. And considering that the beer I'm reviewing came from a week old hand bottle, I'm completely floored. I can't wait for more breweries to use Citra hops, because it is now my favorite for IPAs. If you are reading this review and have access to this beer, please trade with me!

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%

Reviewing from notes. Enjoyed with a few beer advocate buds. Very fresh growler courtesy of chswimmer's mountainous driving skills. Thanks Craig!

The body is quite dark orange and cloudy. It has some beautiful apricot like colors. Decent head from an easy pour, okay retention and good lacing. Bright white head.

Fantastic aromas of grapefruit juice and all kinds of other citrus. You almost don't want to drink it because it's so nice to smell.

A lot of complexity in that citrus flavor, well rounded. There's a nice sweetness from the bready malts too, and hints of caramel. There's really not much bitterness coming across in the beer, just lots of vibrant juicy hop flavor. I also get some grassy/hay flavors too.

The mouthfeel is a little bit on the dry side which is kind of confusing since the flavor is so juicy. A tad grainy but it's not detracting too much. It's also a little on the thin side. On the plus side, this all works out to make it pretty refreshing.

So so easy to drink. Nice and refreshing, great flavor, almost hard to imagine this is a double IPA since it's just so vibrant and easy going. No alcohol heat at all here. I feel like I could drink the entire growler myself over the course of a few hours in one sitting.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company