Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 3,014
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 365 | Hads: 1,526
3.48/5  rDev -23.9%

Been waiting for this one for a while. Thanks go out to mrbubbler for the opportunity.

A: Hazy orange color. The pour dropped a finger or so of pure white head that faded to a thin rim and left little lace.

A: The aroma is that of sweet pineapple, pine tar, and citrus. I actually get a little butter in the nose, which I hope is not a sign of off flavors.

T: The taste follows the nose, with notes of more pineapple, orange, and pine sap. The biscuit and caramel malt balance this well. I was afraid of this from the nose, but there is a distinct diacetyl taste. The buttery notes are not pleasant. If not for this, I believe this would be a good beer.

M: Creamy for a dipa. Medium to full body, light on the carbonation.

O: I was expecting an A+ brew, I got an B brew. Not bad, if it weren't for the diacetyl, I guess I got a bad batch. This is definately not on par with the world class brews such as Hopslam, in my opinon. I hope to get to try this again, and am chalking this review up to a bad batch. Skal.

4.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Damian (Solomon420) for the trade

Pours a hazy amber with a finger or so of off white head which quickly laces away. Smells of pine tar pungency and wafts of orange oil, a little sweet pineapple on the finish and surprisingly.. a little alcohol glides through just at the very end. Taste follows the nose but more diminutive. Hop bitterness comes in on the finish and maintains a bitter aftertaste on the back of the palate. Medium bodied and mouth coating. leaves an oily slickness on the palate, light carbonation..

Overall a very solid DIPA.. well made and balanced, I will be seeking this one out whenever I can

4.8/5  rDev +5%

I had this at a growler share. thanks for sharing tjmodica! I never had heard of Kern River and was asked to try this since I'm a big hophead. Glad I didn't pass this one up.

I'm a big fan of Pliny and this one is up there. The citra hop is all about this DIPA. Nice grapefruit/pineapple aroma and taste. Great carbonation for being in a growler for over a week. Creamy head with a medium to light amber color.

I'll have to keep an eye for this beer the next time I'm in California.

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Tried on April 14, 2010. Growler shared by Mike. Thanks Mike!! Pours orange with white head. Aroma is citrus and pine. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor is lip smack puckering, tart, juicy, grapefruit rind, and finishes with a touch of tart pineapple. This was my first brew that I know of that uses Citra hops. Great stuff. Thanks Mike!!

4.39/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured with a small head of white foam that settles quickly and leaves good lace. The body is a hazy, copper-orange.

S - Strong lime and orange hop aromas and a little bit of toffee malt.

T - Lots of lemon and orange hops up front with a little pine. Very sweet toffee malt in the middle. Things finish up with more pine and orange as well as some sweet, biscuit maltthat us balanced by moderate bitterness.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation and a sweet finish.

D - Very fruity and very drinkable. The hops are over the top in terms of citrus character, but the malt balances them pretty well. The finish is quite sweet but it come across as well balanced.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%

Been hearing good things about the citra, and now I have a growler to share thanks to Marisatheyounger, your the woman.

Burnt orange all around, the color is glowing with mostly orange maybe a shade of amber mixed with touches of slight copper. Pouring this, I get a inch of thickish white foam that stays and somewhat sticks. Pokadot lacing and some stripes around the glass.

This sure smells like citrus. Once all is said and done this smells like a superfecta of citrus with just the tiniest backing of malt to back that up. I get a shitload of papaya. Tropics, pineapple, mango etc. You guys and gals know the deal, west coast hoppy delight!!

Yep, Citra delivers in a big way without being huge, ya dig. It's like a overload in a small compartment. A big blast of that raw tropic treatment, mango, papaya, the works really. I get alot of squeezed orange with zest. Fruity than slighty malty without all that east coast overdo. Malt done right, not in your face, but there, to even the playing field. You just have to try it, to understand.

I am really digging the feel on this CITRA. It finishes so clean that going for another gulp afterwards is totally doable. Not the most bitter DIPA out there, in fact the bitter does not last into the aftertaste. One of the cleanest and smooth finishes I have ever had in a double, no fooling, no bias as well.. Body is a step above medium with adaquate carb based on look and feel.

Well, all in all, CITRA DIPA is a winner and deserves the acolades. The finish delivers not to mention the start, and well the whole damn thing rocks IMO. I could drink a whole growler of this if the time was right. I dont think I can say that with PTE or the like, this is just simple drinking with a BANG!!!

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at the T, 2010.

A: Great hazy peach orange with a fluffy cap of white foam on top.

S: Great fat citra hop aroma in the nose with just a tad of english muffin malts in the background

T: Super resiny, oily hops with a bit of skunk weed thrown in for good measure

M: Refreshing and sticky...leaves you BEGGING for another sip

O: One of the best double ipas I've had and absolutely the best expression of all that CITRA can offer the brewer. Fantastic.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note review 400 yea!
A pint off the growler thanks onix1arg and a sweet gal who traded it to him. Damn what a pull.

A- a stiff pour yields a good finger or so of off white head that holds for a bit before slowly settling to leave some nice creamy lace on the glass and a solid skin on top. Hazy sunset orange in color with a lovely glow to it.

S- well the name don't lie. This bad boy smells like citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, then the tropics kick in and you get some sweet mango and a touch of pineapple. Malts are there but only come off with a light sweetness that blends into the super fruity hops.

T- opens up with an abundance of fresh juicy citrus hops that bring the whole damn cornucopia with it. Loads of oranges, super sweet ruby red grapefruits, tangerines. Its a landslide of citrus fruits, like five alive but good. Mangos, papaya, and pineapples show their head as well and really round out a spectacular hop profile. Malts play fifth fiddle if you get my drift, but do an expert job of bringing just that right amount of lightly bready sweetness to the hops, it boosts them to the next level and balances them out at the same time. Amazingly clean finish with a nice hoppy linger that I won't soon forget.

M- a hop or two above medium in body and a smooth slightly creamy carb that kills it on each sip.

O- wow wow we wow! This is a breathtaking beer. This just went down on me then I went down on it and everyone is very pleased with the out come. I am impressed with it drinkablity and how clean of a finish it has. Yo for real big ups to my boy b and the lovely lady who hooked him up with this brew. I don't know your name but I thank you very much.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to mrbubbler
Poured a slightly hazed copper brew with a huge thick white head that didn't want to die.
Smell is monstrous, sweet tropical fruits and a thick caramel note followed with a bitter dankness.
Taste was bitter pine that was an odd sweetness, the nose is evident in the taste just over powered by that dankness
Mouthfeel is kind of thin especially for a iipa but with it been so its actually not a chore to put back bunches of It and is actually a bit creamy.
Drinkability suffers from the resin after taste thats a bit harsh and hangs around forever

While still very good I think the hype may have hurt my expectations on this
Letting the beer warm up a bit cut the over powering dankness a bit and helped it overall

4.42/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this to the Inaugural "Imminent Liquidation Bottle Share" Event. Growler poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours deep amber orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - HUGE citric hop punch up front that never really fades from the limelight. Some caramel malt and tropical fruits offer as much balance as they can but it is really all about the hops.

T - Still plenty of citric hops up front; just not as much as the nose; giving way slowly to a mix of light caramel malt and fresh tropical fruits. Finish is quite bitter but it doesn't last for very long. I really like this one. It is not too over the top like others, it is quite refreshing actually. Glad I finally got to try it.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice crisp feel with a good amount of lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

D - Dangerously high. I finally get to try this one on for size. I really enjoyed the Hill Farmstead Citra but I think the Kern River was a bit more well rounded. I hope to have this again someday, preferably on-tap!

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Growler courtesy of Ultraman9000 - thanks, Martin!

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a two finger off-white head. Head retention is great, as is lacing. The aroma is awesome - tons of tropical fruit with pineapple and mango really shining through. Lighter caramel malt notes underly the tropical fruit hops. The taste is much the same, with lots of tropical fruit hoppiness dominating the flavor profile. The is just enough caramel malt sweetness to add some depth to the taste beyond the hops. The bitterness is pretty high, but the alcohol is very well-hidden. Extremely easy to drink - three of us had no problem finishing the growler in not much time. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the finish is pretty dry and bitter with a hint of alcohol warming.

Really phenomenal stuff overall. I'd put it right behind the Plinys and pretty close to Dreadnaught and Abrasive in my personal DIPA pecking order.

3.92/5  rDev -14.2%

A growler.

A: Citra is a darker, autumnal with leafy, tobacco brown colors. Enough lighter hues lend to the yellow-brown leaves in fall aspect. A small head.

S: The citra nose is intoxicating, sweet with orange. Underneath the hops, caramel malts provide a surprising degree of balance.

T: The citra, as pleasant as the nose is, doesn't quite last. Hoppiness is present, a recurring theme. Citrusy orange flavors are rich and lush, well-balanced against the caramel biscuit malts. Citra starts out well but gets lost amongst the bolder double IPA flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is crisp upfront, hoppier and varied in the finish. The citra nose is great.

D: A good beer, plenty flavorful with the citra leading the charge.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%

Received from a very generous Marisatheyounger. Huge thanks to her for this want of mine.

A - Pours murky, hazy orange with nice white head. Head drops down to thin white layer on top.

S - Lots of fruity aroma goodness in this one. Big hop notes in the nose. Nice malty background round it out but don't take away from the fruit.

T - Like the nose, the flavor doesn't disappoint. Big fruit flavor in this, grapefruit mostly tasted. Some piney hop flavor mixed in the middle. Malts hold up the fruit, hop flavors well but are not noticed much. A little bitter at the end, but big juicy fruit flavors all the way until the end.

M - Lighter to Medium body with moderate carbonation. Slight bitter, resin coating mouthfeel. The flavor doesn't stay as long as you want it to.

D - Very, very drinkable beer. After a glass or two of most DIPA's I'm done. This is something I could keep drinking very easily. Heard great things about this beer, and it surpassed my expectations. Thanks again Marisa for the hook up on this!

4.12/5  rDev -9.8%

A good friend acquired this in a trade and generously shared it at a low-key tasting. Thanks Jonathan!

The beer pours a dark gold. I can't think of another DIPA that pours this dark actually. It was almost the color and density of apple cider with all the cloudiness. A good sized white foam cap formed showing the carbonation had lasted the transcontinental voyage.

The smell is very nice with some toffee sweetness backing up a major dose of super tropical fruity hops. It is so tropical that it reminds me of candied mango.

The taste has a nice smooth sweet, toffee-ish base. Over the top, we get tons of citric hop flavor. This isn't really a complex beer, just sweet base and citra hops. I generally prefer a few layers of hops but I don't get that in this beer. The finish has a medium-low bitterness: IMO, it is too low.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body.

Drinkability-wise, I think this is a very nice beer. The low bitterness makes it accessible but doesn't really move my taste buds to NEED another sip.

I love the Citra hop and this beer is a very good hommage to it.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for the trade for this growler. I have to echo starrdogg (who was at my tasting) that I expected the beer to be one of the best DIPAs ever, and it fell short of that, but still was a very nice beer.

A: Beautiful look. Hazy, darker than normal orange and brown mix with amazing lacing and ring of foamy head. Good start.

S: Dank hops (weed, a good thing) which is great. Citrus, grapefruit, mango tropical fruit, and sugary sweet richness. Pine hops are there too with some taffy candy like smells too, and a little straw that dries it out.

T: Great taste, but not bursting with flavor as I thought. The dank, citrus hops are there nicely (but not juicy) and balanced with biscuit malt. slightly bitter back of the tongue and lemon rind to boot, and a little lactose like sweetness up front with a nice savory malt base. Grapefruit lingers long after the liquid goes down. Would love a little more biting hops to push the rating up on this as well as a little more complexity overall. I'd almost give this a 4, but really it still is great.

M: Very dry and not as bitter as I'd like. Pretty nice carbonation and silkiness over the tongue.

D: Good stuff, but not outstanding. This beer is over hyped for sure. Does not stand up to the likes of growlers or even bottles of other big IPAs like Dreadnaught, Hopslam, Abrasive, Exponential Hoppinness, Pliny, Heady Topper, among others. I'm a hop man though, and this beer deserves an A, though maybe its a low one.

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for sharing a growler of this one last night. It's one I've been looking forward to for a long, long time.

Right off the bat I was ridiculously excited when it was clear that there was still a ton of carbonation when we cracked open the growler. It poured a cloudy orangey-brown color with a decent amount of head, perhaps the perfect look for a DIPA. The smell was full of intense dank hops and tropical fruit notes, fantastic!

Unfortunately the taste came up a bit short. And that's not to say that this is a bad beer by any stretch, but for a beer so hyped, I thought the flavor was a bit one-dimensional. The dank hops really carried through from the smell into the flavor well, but I thought it wasn't nearly as fruity as I expected, nor did it have much sweetness at all. It wasn't very bitter at all, just fresh hops all the way. The hop flavor was great, but I expected more.

The beer was medium-bodied, not too syrupy or carbonated, but it was one of the driest DIPAs I've ever had. It was very drinkable and smooth, definitely one I could put down a few of.

Overall, this was a very good beer, but with the rating it has on this site, I expected it to be one of the best DIPAs I've ever had, and it came up a bit short. I would definitely drink it again if given the chance, but I'm not sure I'd ever go through what it takes to get a growler of it to get more.

4.37/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to Austin for the opportunity. Growler shipped to and enjoyed with friends in Las Vegas the past weekend. Wasn't sure if I'd have the opportunity to try this and certainly didn't expect to be walking through the MGM Grand drinking this from a wine glass and returning to the room multiple times to sample this growler.

Growler emits a strong burst of air upon opening. Hooray. Pours a hazy medium orange with a thin white cover, sporadic bubbles, and plenty of stringy, clinging lace.

The smell is fantastic: massive tropical fruits, pineapple, banana, and mango. Smell wafts across the room to greet those eager gathered drinkers. I spent in inordinate amount of time with ye old proboscis tentatively perched on the precipice of this beauty.

Tropical fruits present just slightly more diminished that the nose. Bright hop burst transitions into a long and bitter finish, akin to licking a pine cone. Very nice, but not to the ridiculous standards set by the nose. This is by far the DRIEST double i have ever had.

This is an absolute palate rapist. All saliva evaporates as the bracing bitterness envelops the taste buds. If this beer leaned a bit more on the tropical noted and a bit less on the bitterness, this would be a dream. It is a very, very good beer, but in my opinion is not as good as Boy King. Additionally, the carbonation here seems misplaced and just a bit off. A bump would help carry this to a higher mark in the mouthfeel.

Overall, this is quite nice and I am very thankful for the opportunity at a growler. However, the dryness needs some dialing down and the carbonation a tune up to make this truly great.

4.94/5  rDev +8.1%

Huge thanks to jpaco47 for sharing this!

Poured into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a two finger topping of white foam. The head recedes leaving a white coaster and great lacing. The nose is overwhelming floral and citrus. Probably the best smelling beer I've encountered. Taste is huge citrus notes backed by a sugar cookie malt profile. The beer is perfectly balanced. Hoppy bitterness and sweet malt push back and forth and the winner is my tastebuds. PTY is the only other beer I've had that tops this level of balance in a DIPA. Incredible! Feel is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation for the style. No trace of the advertised ABV is noticeable: this is an incredibly balanced and tasty DIPA from Kern River. I would keep it in my regular lineup if I were closer. I will be making the drve to kern county in the future to enjoy this one.

4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to Solomon420 for the hookup!

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. Forms a nice white head on top of an unfiltered orange body. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Citra hops dominate the nose, followed by caramel malts and an array of fresh citrus fruits. Tangerine, orange, peach and just a touch of grapefruit. Probably one of the heaviest fruit forward DIPAs I've had. Fruity hop nectar aroma.

The taste is filled with citrus laced hop. Caramel and candied sugar. Slightly more malty than I was expecting, but still does a good job of focusing on the hops. Slightly meaty with a little bit of grassiness. Hops are accentuated on the finish.

Mouthfeel is filled with a nice level of hop crispness. Body has a strong malt backbone, but is still hop forward. The ABV is unnoticeable and there is a nice level of bitterness throughout.

Drinkability is good. I would have no problem putting back a pint or two of this brew. Definitely a quality DIPA. Maybe a little bit hyped, but then again, I haven't had this fresh from the tap. A great DIPA overall and worth seeking out. I'm probably just spoiled since I have Ephraim nearby.

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler of the new batch (from February 10, 2011, I think) courtesy of mrbubbler. Thanks! Opened on February 25, 2011.

I expected this to be the color of the sun. Instead, it's flame orange meets sinopia (reddish-brown/ochre) bodied with a nice full finger head that leaves long vertical lines of lacing down the glass. The second pour yields a fantastically thick, jiggling (like jello) head.

Straight citrus, at first, with candied fruit and grapefruit. As it opens, tropical fruit notes are birthed from the glass. Tangerine, apricot, mango, some candied sugar.

Taste is a diminished self of the nose. Candied orange, citrus, and sugar cookie, with just the smallest hint of grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Tangerine joins the party. It isn't as worthy-of-thirteen-lines-spelling-out-citrus as I anticipated, and I wonder if this batch just isn't as up-to-snuff as some previous ones or if my expectations were too high. That being said, the flavor profile plays to my weaknesses, and I'm rather smitten with it.

Medium-bodied and unbearably smooth and drinkable. It isn't the thickest, stickiest DIPA I've had, but the dryness on the mid-to-late palate leaves me wanting more. Some lingering bitterness on the finish.

Just an exceptional DIPA and narrowly-tailored to my proclivities to boot. I'm surprised the taste isn't more citrus and tropical fruit forward given its reputation, but it's easy to enjoy nonetheless and a lower score would misrepresent its quality.

4.57/5  rDev 0%

Had on-tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City for Kern RIver night as a part of SF Beer Week. Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: Pours a cloudy orangish color with a nice sized white head.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits in the nose.

T: The taste follows the smell. Lots of mango, grapefruit, and pineapple. Tons of fruit although just slightly sweet. The bitterness is there but rather subtle. The malt is also quite present throughout. A hint of alcohol in the finish.

M: Full bodied, slightly viscous, average carbonation.

D: A delicious DIPA. The Citra hop is true to it's name, lots of citrus and other fruits.

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Received a growler from marisatheyounger at the end of last year..thanks!
Shared with my good friend cpz28

Pours a beautiful hazy orange color with a great head and excellent retention. Also has great lacing.

Nose is very fruity. It has a tropical fruit, orange, and citrus smell that is just great.

Tastes much like the nose. Great fuity citrusy flavors all the way through. The bitterness hits you after a second and lingers for awhile.

Great carbonation level the beer seems a bit watery at first.
Drinkability is great. At only 8% I could have a couple pints and not be drunk. Just want to keep drinking this one. Wish I had it available around here.
Great job by KRBC and worth getting your hands on some of this.

This is a review of the recent batch released on Feb 10.
Pint at KRBC on Feb 15. Reviewed on my phone, so its short and sweet.
A: orange haze beautiful head like the awesome beauty it is
S: what else can I say? Tangerine fruit, hops,grapefruit,apricots
T: follows the aroma...hops,orange goodness,like an orange
M: Medium bodied resiny flavor but not lingering
D: awesome

I am glad KRBC went back to small batches on this beer and the quality shows. This reminded me of the early batches...phenominal is all I can say. 5 stars all around. Well done guys.

4.29/5  rDev -6.1%

On tap at Beer Revolution for Kern River day during SF Beer Week.

A: Served a hazy citrus gold with little head or lacing.
S: Super sweet, fruity, and slightly dank with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. I could smell the fruit coming from the glass almost a table length away.
T: Super juicy, just like the nose, with a super citra citrus taste. Grapefruit is predominant, but there are notes of tobacco in the finish. The aftertaste is almost leafy or tea-like and very bitter. The flavors are overall tingly and bitter.
M: Medium bodied, tingly carbonation, and no alcohol warmth.
D: Super fresh tasting but pretty darn bitter, not that it's a bad thing. I was pretty impressed, but it could use some polishing on the back end. It's not the best, but it's highly drinkable and I wish I could get more of it more often.

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap poured into a tulip pint glass. Beer pours a cloudy and hazy golden yellow with a finger of pure white foamy head. Head dissipated quickly to the surface, leaving a bit of lacing. Some carbonation is visible through the hazy beer, but I'm pretty excited for the haze as that means a bit of dry hopping for this style.

Before I could order my own glass, my neighbor two persons away from me had gotten a pour and I could smell the fresh grapefruit from his glass. A ton of fresh grapefruit coming from this beer, like if you took a pound of grapefruit and just crushed them on your face. Juicy and fragrant grapefruit peel, pith, juice, the entire thing. A bit of pine needle bitterness is also detected, but this is a grapefruit bomb mostly.

Taking a sip, definitely taste the grapefruit, like if you took a bite through an unpeeled, juicy one and started chewing. Very fresh tasting grapefruit citrus, some wet pine needles mid tongue with just a hint of light biscuit malts, finishing bone dry on the tongue. Grapefruit pith lingers for a long time on your tongue, and really forces you to just drink more Citra beer, and ruining any other beers you may want to try unless you rinse your mouth out.

A very good beer, but the lingering mouth dryness took away a little from the experience. Would definitely drink again, if it was the only beer I plan on drinking for a while, since the alcohol is completely hidden.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company