Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 2,913
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 358 | Hads: 1,496
4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note review 400 yea!
A pint off the growler thanks onix1arg and a sweet gal who traded it to him. Damn what a pull.

A- a stiff pour yields a good finger or so of off white head that holds for a bit before slowly settling to leave some nice creamy lace on the glass and a solid skin on top. Hazy sunset orange in color with a lovely glow to it.

S- well the name don't lie. This bad boy smells like citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, then the tropics kick in and you get some sweet mango and a touch of pineapple. Malts are there but only come off with a light sweetness that blends into the super fruity hops.

T- opens up with an abundance of fresh juicy citrus hops that bring the whole damn cornucopia with it. Loads of oranges, super sweet ruby red grapefruits, tangerines. Its a landslide of citrus fruits, like five alive but good. Mangos, papaya, and pineapples show their head as well and really round out a spectacular hop profile. Malts play fifth fiddle if you get my drift, but do an expert job of bringing just that right amount of lightly bready sweetness to the hops, it boosts them to the next level and balances them out at the same time. Amazingly clean finish with a nice hoppy linger that I won't soon forget.

M- a hop or two above medium in body and a smooth slightly creamy carb that kills it on each sip.

O- wow wow we wow! This is a breathtaking beer. This just went down on me then I went down on it and everyone is very pleased with the out come. I am impressed with it drinkablity and how clean of a finish it has. Yo for real big ups to my boy b and the lovely lady who hooked him up with this brew. I don't know your name but I thank you very much. (1,692 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to mrbubbler
Poured a slightly hazed copper brew with a huge thick white head that didn't want to die.
Smell is monstrous, sweet tropical fruits and a thick caramel note followed with a bitter dankness.
Taste was bitter pine that was an odd sweetness, the nose is evident in the taste just over powered by that dankness
Mouthfeel is kind of thin especially for a iipa but with it been so its actually not a chore to put back bunches of It and is actually a bit creamy.
Drinkability suffers from the resin after taste thats a bit harsh and hangs around forever

While still very good I think the hype may have hurt my expectations on this
Letting the beer warm up a bit cut the over powering dankness a bit and helped it overall (736 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to whoever brought this to the Inaugural "Imminent Liquidation Bottle Share" Event. Growler poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours deep amber orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - HUGE citric hop punch up front that never really fades from the limelight. Some caramel malt and tropical fruits offer as much balance as they can but it is really all about the hops.

T - Still plenty of citric hops up front; just not as much as the nose; giving way slowly to a mix of light caramel malt and fresh tropical fruits. Finish is quite bitter but it doesn't last for very long. I really like this one. It is not too over the top like others, it is quite refreshing actually. Glad I finally got to try it.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice crisp feel with a good amount of lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

D - Dangerously high. I finally get to try this one on for size. I really enjoyed the Hill Farmstead Citra but I think the Kern River was a bit more well rounded. I hope to have this again someday, preferably on-tap! (1,144 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2%

Growler courtesy of Ultraman9000 - thanks, Martin!

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a two finger off-white head. Head retention is great, as is lacing. The aroma is awesome - tons of tropical fruit with pineapple and mango really shining through. Lighter caramel malt notes underly the tropical fruit hops. The taste is much the same, with lots of tropical fruit hoppiness dominating the flavor profile. The is just enough caramel malt sweetness to add some depth to the taste beyond the hops. The bitterness is pretty high, but the alcohol is very well-hidden. Extremely easy to drink - three of us had no problem finishing the growler in not much time. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the finish is pretty dry and bitter with a hint of alcohol warming.

Really phenomenal stuff overall. I'd put it right behind the Plinys and pretty close to Dreadnaught and Abrasive in my personal DIPA pecking order. (917 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -14.4%

A growler.

A: Citra is a darker, autumnal with leafy, tobacco brown colors. Enough lighter hues lend to the yellow-brown leaves in fall aspect. A small head.

S: The citra nose is intoxicating, sweet with orange. Underneath the hops, caramel malts provide a surprising degree of balance.

T: The citra, as pleasant as the nose is, doesn't quite last. Hoppiness is present, a recurring theme. Citrusy orange flavors are rich and lush, well-balanced against the caramel biscuit malts. Citra starts out well but gets lost amongst the bolder double IPA flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is crisp upfront, hoppier and varied in the finish. The citra nose is great.

D: A good beer, plenty flavorful with the citra leading the charge. (722 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%

Received from a very generous Marisatheyounger. Huge thanks to her for this want of mine.

A - Pours murky, hazy orange with nice white head. Head drops down to thin white layer on top.

S - Lots of fruity aroma goodness in this one. Big hop notes in the nose. Nice malty background round it out but don't take away from the fruit.

T - Like the nose, the flavor doesn't disappoint. Big fruit flavor in this, grapefruit mostly tasted. Some piney hop flavor mixed in the middle. Malts hold up the fruit, hop flavors well but are not noticed much. A little bitter at the end, but big juicy fruit flavors all the way until the end.

M - Lighter to Medium body with moderate carbonation. Slight bitter, resin coating mouthfeel. The flavor doesn't stay as long as you want it to.

D - Very, very drinkable beer. After a glass or two of most DIPA's I'm done. This is something I could keep drinking very easily. Heard great things about this beer, and it surpassed my expectations. Thanks again Marisa for the hook up on this! (1,021 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -10%

A good friend acquired this in a trade and generously shared it at a low-key tasting. Thanks Jonathan!

The beer pours a dark gold. I can't think of another DIPA that pours this dark actually. It was almost the color and density of apple cider with all the cloudiness. A good sized white foam cap formed showing the carbonation had lasted the transcontinental voyage.

The smell is very nice with some toffee sweetness backing up a major dose of super tropical fruity hops. It is so tropical that it reminds me of candied mango.

The taste has a nice smooth sweet, toffee-ish base. Over the top, we get tons of citric hop flavor. This isn't really a complex beer, just sweet base and citra hops. I generally prefer a few layers of hops but I don't get that in this beer. The finish has a medium-low bitterness: IMO, it is too low.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body.

Drinkability-wise, I think this is a very nice beer. The low bitterness makes it accessible but doesn't really move my taste buds to NEED another sip.

I love the Citra hop and this beer is a very good hommage to it. (1,096 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to Ultraman9000 for the trade for this growler. I have to echo starrdogg (who was at my tasting) that I expected the beer to be one of the best DIPAs ever, and it fell short of that, but still was a very nice beer.

A: Beautiful look. Hazy, darker than normal orange and brown mix with amazing lacing and ring of foamy head. Good start.

S: Dank hops (weed, a good thing) which is great. Citrus, grapefruit, mango tropical fruit, and sugary sweet richness. Pine hops are there too with some taffy candy like smells too, and a little straw that dries it out.

T: Great taste, but not bursting with flavor as I thought. The dank, citrus hops are there nicely (but not juicy) and balanced with biscuit malt. slightly bitter back of the tongue and lemon rind to boot, and a little lactose like sweetness up front with a nice savory malt base. Grapefruit lingers long after the liquid goes down. Would love a little more biting hops to push the rating up on this as well as a little more complexity overall. I'd almost give this a 4, but really it still is great.

M: Very dry and not as bitter as I'd like. Pretty nice carbonation and silkiness over the tongue.

D: Good stuff, but not outstanding. This beer is over hyped for sure. Does not stand up to the likes of growlers or even bottles of other big IPAs like Dreadnaught, Hopslam, Abrasive, Exponential Hoppinness, Pliny, Heady Topper, among others. I'm a hop man though, and this beer deserves an A, though maybe its a low one. (1,490 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for sharing a growler of this one last night. It's one I've been looking forward to for a long, long time.

Right off the bat I was ridiculously excited when it was clear that there was still a ton of carbonation when we cracked open the growler. It poured a cloudy orangey-brown color with a decent amount of head, perhaps the perfect look for a DIPA. The smell was full of intense dank hops and tropical fruit notes, fantastic!

Unfortunately the taste came up a bit short. And that's not to say that this is a bad beer by any stretch, but for a beer so hyped, I thought the flavor was a bit one-dimensional. The dank hops really carried through from the smell into the flavor well, but I thought it wasn't nearly as fruity as I expected, nor did it have much sweetness at all. It wasn't very bitter at all, just fresh hops all the way. The hop flavor was great, but I expected more.

The beer was medium-bodied, not too syrupy or carbonated, but it was one of the driest DIPAs I've ever had. It was very drinkable and smooth, definitely one I could put down a few of.

Overall, this was a very good beer, but with the rating it has on this site, I expected it to be one of the best DIPAs I've ever had, and it came up a bit short. I would definitely drink it again if given the chance, but I'm not sure I'd ever go through what it takes to get a growler of it to get more. (1,403 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Austin for the opportunity. Growler shipped to and enjoyed with friends in Las Vegas the past weekend. Wasn't sure if I'd have the opportunity to try this and certainly didn't expect to be walking through the MGM Grand drinking this from a wine glass and returning to the room multiple times to sample this growler.

Growler emits a strong burst of air upon opening. Hooray. Pours a hazy medium orange with a thin white cover, sporadic bubbles, and plenty of stringy, clinging lace.

The smell is fantastic: massive tropical fruits, pineapple, banana, and mango. Smell wafts across the room to greet those eager gathered drinkers. I spent in inordinate amount of time with ye old proboscis tentatively perched on the precipice of this beauty.

Tropical fruits present just slightly more diminished that the nose. Bright hop burst transitions into a long and bitter finish, akin to licking a pine cone. Very nice, but not to the ridiculous standards set by the nose. This is by far the DRIEST double i have ever had.

This is an absolute palate rapist. All saliva evaporates as the bracing bitterness envelops the taste buds. If this beer leaned a bit more on the tropical noted and a bit less on the bitterness, this would be a dream. It is a very, very good beer, but in my opinion is not as good as Boy King. Additionally, the carbonation here seems misplaced and just a bit off. A bump would help carry this to a higher mark in the mouthfeel.

Overall, this is quite nice and I am very thankful for the opportunity at a growler. However, the dryness needs some dialing down and the carbonation a tune up to make this truly great. (1,644 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Huge thanks to jpaco47 for sharing this!

Poured into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a two finger topping of white foam. The head recedes leaving a white coaster and great lacing. The nose is overwhelming floral and citrus. Probably the best smelling beer I've encountered. Taste is huge citrus notes backed by a sugar cookie malt profile. The beer is perfectly balanced. Hoppy bitterness and sweet malt push back and forth and the winner is my tastebuds. PTY is the only other beer I've had that tops this level of balance in a DIPA. Incredible! Feel is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation for the style. No trace of the advertised ABV is noticeable: this is an incredibly balanced and tasty DIPA from Kern River. I would keep it in my regular lineup if I were closer. I will be making the drve to kern county in the future to enjoy this one. (870 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to Solomon420 for the hookup!

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. Forms a nice white head on top of an unfiltered orange body. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Citra hops dominate the nose, followed by caramel malts and an array of fresh citrus fruits. Tangerine, orange, peach and just a touch of grapefruit. Probably one of the heaviest fruit forward DIPAs I've had. Fruity hop nectar aroma.

The taste is filled with citrus laced hop. Caramel and candied sugar. Slightly more malty than I was expecting, but still does a good job of focusing on the hops. Slightly meaty with a little bit of grassiness. Hops are accentuated on the finish.

Mouthfeel is filled with a nice level of hop crispness. Body has a strong malt backbone, but is still hop forward. The ABV is unnoticeable and there is a nice level of bitterness throughout.

Drinkability is good. I would have no problem putting back a pint or two of this brew. Definitely a quality DIPA. Maybe a little bit hyped, but then again, I haven't had this fresh from the tap. A great DIPA overall and worth seeking out. I'm probably just spoiled since I have Ephraim nearby. (1,145 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler of the new batch (from February 10, 2011, I think) courtesy of mrbubbler. Thanks! Opened on February 25, 2011.

I expected this to be the color of the sun. Instead, it's flame orange meets sinopia (reddish-brown/ochre) bodied with a nice full finger head that leaves long vertical lines of lacing down the glass. The second pour yields a fantastically thick, jiggling (like jello) head.

Straight citrus, at first, with candied fruit and grapefruit. As it opens, tropical fruit notes are birthed from the glass. Tangerine, apricot, mango, some candied sugar.

Taste is a diminished self of the nose. Candied orange, citrus, and sugar cookie, with just the smallest hint of grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Tangerine joins the party. It isn't as worthy-of-thirteen-lines-spelling-out-citrus as I anticipated, and I wonder if this batch just isn't as up-to-snuff as some previous ones or if my expectations were too high. That being said, the flavor profile plays to my weaknesses, and I'm rather smitten with it.

Medium-bodied and unbearably smooth and drinkable. It isn't the thickest, stickiest DIPA I've had, but the dryness on the mid-to-late palate leaves me wanting more. Some lingering bitterness on the finish.

Just an exceptional DIPA and narrowly-tailored to my proclivities to boot. I'm surprised the taste isn't more citrus and tropical fruit forward given its reputation, but it's easy to enjoy nonetheless and a lower score would misrepresent its quality. (1,486 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on-tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City for Kern RIver night as a part of SF Beer Week. Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: Pours a cloudy orangish color with a nice sized white head.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits in the nose.

T: The taste follows the smell. Lots of mango, grapefruit, and pineapple. Tons of fruit although just slightly sweet. The bitterness is there but rather subtle. The malt is also quite present throughout. A hint of alcohol in the finish.

M: Full bodied, slightly viscous, average carbonation.

D: A delicious DIPA. The Citra hop is true to it's name, lots of citrus and other fruits. (630 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Received a growler from marisatheyounger at the end of last year..thanks!
Shared with my good friend cpz28

Pours a beautiful hazy orange color with a great head and excellent retention. Also has great lacing.

Nose is very fruity. It has a tropical fruit, orange, and citrus smell that is just great.

Tastes much like the nose. Great fuity citrusy flavors all the way through. The bitterness hits you after a second and lingers for awhile.

Great carbonation level the beer seems a bit watery at first.
Drinkability is great. At only 8% I could have a couple pints and not be drunk. Just want to keep drinking this one. Wish I had it available around here.
Great job by KRBC and worth getting your hands on some of this. (724 characters)

This is a review of the recent batch released on Feb 10.
Pint at KRBC on Feb 15. Reviewed on my phone, so its short and sweet.
A: orange haze beautiful head like the awesome beauty it is
S: what else can I say? Tangerine fruit, hops,grapefruit,apricots
T: follows the aroma...hops,orange goodness,like an orange
Julius.
M: Medium bodied resiny flavor but not lingering
D: awesome

I am glad KRBC went back to small batches on this beer and the quality shows. This reminded me of the early batches...phenominal is all I can say. 5 stars all around. Well done guys. (564 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Beer Revolution for Kern River day during SF Beer Week.

A: Served a hazy citrus gold with little head or lacing.
S: Super sweet, fruity, and slightly dank with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. I could smell the fruit coming from the glass almost a table length away.
T: Super juicy, just like the nose, with a super citra citrus taste. Grapefruit is predominant, but there are notes of tobacco in the finish. The aftertaste is almost leafy or tea-like and very bitter. The flavors are overall tingly and bitter.
M: Medium bodied, tingly carbonation, and no alcohol warmth.
D: Super fresh tasting but pretty darn bitter, not that it's a bad thing. I was pretty impressed, but it could use some polishing on the back end. It's not the best, but it's highly drinkable and I wish I could get more of it more often. (827 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2%

On tap poured into a tulip pint glass. Beer pours a cloudy and hazy golden yellow with a finger of pure white foamy head. Head dissipated quickly to the surface, leaving a bit of lacing. Some carbonation is visible through the hazy beer, but I'm pretty excited for the haze as that means a bit of dry hopping for this style.

Before I could order my own glass, my neighbor two persons away from me had gotten a pour and I could smell the fresh grapefruit from his glass. A ton of fresh grapefruit coming from this beer, like if you took a pound of grapefruit and just crushed them on your face. Juicy and fragrant grapefruit peel, pith, juice, the entire thing. A bit of pine needle bitterness is also detected, but this is a grapefruit bomb mostly.

Taking a sip, definitely taste the grapefruit, like if you took a bite through an unpeeled, juicy one and started chewing. Very fresh tasting grapefruit citrus, some wet pine needles mid tongue with just a hint of light biscuit malts, finishing bone dry on the tongue. Grapefruit pith lingers for a long time on your tongue, and really forces you to just drink more Citra beer, and ruining any other beers you may want to try unless you rinse your mouth out.

A very good beer, but the lingering mouth dryness took away a little from the experience. Would definitely drink again, if it was the only beer I plan on drinking for a while, since the alcohol is completely hidden. (1,429 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -3.1%

Somehow I forgot to review this beer. Got it more than a few months back from Solomon420. Thanks D!

A - Very good, very light golden orange - pretty decent head retention

S - The most unique citrus nose of any DIPA I've ever encountered. Upfront dried fruit basket and grapefruit blast to the senses. Smells like juice. Pungent fragrant aroma. I can pick out the Citra hops, that for sure.

T - This is fruit juice in a glass. You almost forget it's beer. Grapefruit, tropical citrus, Hawaiian Punch with a bit of pine and earthiness and a almost absent malt backbone or malt profile at all to speak of. Bitter dry, crisp finish. No booze detected.

M - I like my DIPAs a bit more resinous in mouthfeel but I'm not complaining. The only flaw I found with this beer was it's lack of finish. A lot of pungent, juicy hop flavors upfront but not so much in the finish. Light mouthfeel for 8% which is impressive.

D - Like I said, it's like fruit juice in a glass, it's hard to believe this is still a beer. Way too easy going down. No problem polishing off the entire growler to my greedy self with this one.

Final Thoughts - Very unique brew on the DIPA style. A must try for any hophead. For all the hype behind it, expectations were met. It did not exceed them nor did it fall below them. Very, very good beer. (1,315 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -8.7%

I have been wanting to try this one for a long time now, a big thanks to Chris for bringing this back. Pours light golden orange with a small white cap, good retention and lacing. Smells of citra hops and straw, very grassy with some bright citrus fruit, slightly malty and very balanced. Taste is grassy and bitter, pale malts but not sweet, some orange and tropical fruit hops in the finish. Medium bodied with a medium light carbonation. A very drinkable IPA. Not my favorite of the night, but this is the one I went back for more of. Very subtle flavors for the style, an excellent DIPA. (591 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. Sticker states "Hand bottled Jan. 2, 2011" on bottle neck. Able to try this brew only due to the exceptional generosity of Solomon420.

A: Hazy tangerine-peach with short, 1-finger off-white head with short retention and some formations of lace down the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is perceptible at least 3 feet away, if not further. It is easily one of the best aromas in beer. Massive amounts of citrus fruit waft away with grapefruit, mandarin orange, and lemon all in the mix. Tropical fruit including mango and passionfruit also make an appearance, with floral, blossom flavors there too. Pine and resin are strong, but an unmistakable component of herbaceous, onion-like aroma also hits the nostrils pretty hard. This brew doesn't fashion much of a pale malt aroma, but who cares, it hits all of the big hops check-offs: citrus, herb, floral, resin, and pine.

T: The flavor is excellent and brings all of the hops goodness on the aroma in all the right places with emphasis on the pleasant flavors like grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine resion, and reduces the less desirable flavors like the herbal, onion flavors. This one goes right where OB Gubna went wrong. While the hops flavor doesn't bludgeon you, you submit to the wonderous array of hops flavors available in this brew. The pale maltiness plays a bigger role than you know by keeping the bitterness to a tolerable level. Alcohol is nonexistent in the flavor.

M: The carbonation is low-medium with a light tackiness and good coating quality.

D: A superb DIPA with hops complexity unlike any other. I tried Pliny the Elder this week (again, courtesy of Solomon420), and I have to say, I enjoyed this one a little more. Citra DIPA really exemplifies the West Coast DIPA to me, even better than PtE -- citrus and pine with flashes or raw herbal and floral hoppiness. (1,894 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -9.4%

thanks to Wadsey for sharing the growler

poured into dogfish head tulips

A.

hazy orange amber color. 2 fingers worth of eggshell-like head. Huge amount of lacing going on while sipping on this beer.

S.

Citrus hops with a hint of pineapple, apricot and cat piss. (yes, cat piss). Every citra hopped beer I've had has that subtle cat piss smell to it.

T.

very west coast-like. Citrus hops with subtle pine in there. not as hoppy as I thought a Double IPA would be. Slightly sweet as well. Good, but nothing spectacular. Not much different than having a Dreadnaught or Cenotaph from 3 floyds.

M.

medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Very crisp and smooth for a double IPA.

D.

would be a 5 if it was readily available. The ABV is hidden well. I could drink this at least a couple times a week. (806 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

Growler. Courtesy of maltzilla. Poured into a tulip glass a slightly cloudy orange amber color with a slightly off white head head that laces nicely as it settles. Aroma is that of tropical fruit like mango mixed with citrus. Malty start gives way to a very strong hop profile that lingers on and has nice flavors of citrus and fruit. Nicely done and well blended. (364 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

Got this growler thanks to route66pubs. Thanks a ton, man! Shared with my roomate and another BA on Christmas day. Served into my town hall snifter:

A - Dark amber and slightly brownish with golden tints throughout. Pour reveals a fluffy white crisp head that turns into a nice foam ring around the edges and murky cloudy foam in the middle. Lacing retention is very good.

S - Awesome! Nice citra smells. Dank stank that is a bit musty. Pine and bitterness. Very good.

T - Nice citrus tones and hoppyness. Not as bitter as I was expecting. Tastes a bit bready and malty. Pretty damn good, but I bet it is just awesome on-tap.

M - Nice and smooth. Crisp and refreshing. Pretty carbonated and a bit thicker. Nice.

D - Way too easy for 8%. I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to try this elusive brew. I'm really glad to drink this beer but I'm thinking that it would be just a bit better on-tap. Thanks again, Scott! Merry Christmas! (945 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this growler.

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma definitely screams Double IPA. I get a lot of resiny hops, but there is also quite a bit of orange citrus mixed in. I don't get much, if any malt in the aroma.

The flavor is a hop explosion. The first hops that I get are resiny and piney, but then the fruit comes in. I get a ton of different fruit flavors. Among them are pineapples, oranges and mangos. I also get some biscuit malt mixed in to keep the bitterness at a low to medium level.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Excellent. (605 characters)