Citra Double IPA - Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Wants: 3,019
Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.
Reviews: 367 | Hads: 1,534
4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to AleWatcher for sharing his growler.

Pours a clear copper/ golden color with a large fluffy white head. As the head fades, it leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

The smell is definitely Citra, pineapple, orange, tropical fruit with a nice bready malt backbone.

The taste is hops forward. Pineapple, orange, mango, and other tropical fruits are followed by a maltier backbone than expected. The finish is on the dry side with some lingering pine bitterness. I was expecting more tropical flavor and a little lighter malt backbone, but this is still very nice.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I would like slightly more carbonation,but this could be due to the fact that it was a growler shipped from California.

Overall, this is a very nice beer, but I expected more. It is not as spectacular as the hype would suggest.

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

A- 2 fingers frothy white head. Hazy, golden orange zest color. Lace holds on to the glass. This is what a IIPA should look like.

S- Not overly fragrant which surprised me. I have been opening some nose bombs lately but I walked a couple laps around my kitchen with my nose in it. What aroma there is hits me pleasantly. I smell the warm citra hops. A little honey back, some pineapple.

T- Very, very good. I think the label is misleading. This is not like chewing on a hopvine. There are others out there for that, instead Citra is very balanced. I don't know how fresh mine is, mind you but the flavors are all there. Pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, mango, I think the fact that sweet, sugar forward fruit is detectable is evidence of balance.

M- This is where it stands out. BONE dry. Which is how I like it. Finish is the cleanest I have ever tasted. Nice carbonation.

O- This thing is a legend, I had high expectations and they were met. It wasn't a blow my face off this is the best beer I have ever had reaction. But a damn this is one of the better beers I have had reaction.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Fresh bottle as an extra from pastradul! Thanks buddy!

Pour: bright straw yellow, slightly golden with an opaque orange hue. Very carbonated, bright white head dinishes into a soapy ring around the glass' edge.

Nose: Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, strong piney resin. This is a blast of tropical fruit goodness with a great piney zing. This smells better than any IIPA I've had, outside of Abrasive.

Taste: The taste is insane. All the above tropical fruits coming in sweet with a middle consisting of very strong, resinous citrus (cite duh) hops and a great caramel malted backbone. Sort of dry on the end with a great piney lingering taste.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, slightly dry and a perfect Inbetween of oily and watery.

Overall: This IIPA is so amazing. I could drink it in lightning speed if I had a never ending supply. It's SO good.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%

Huge thanks to glazeman for dropping this long-sought-after whale off at my house prior to the beginning of a 3 month stint without tasting sessions. Been waiting a long time for this one.

Appearance is a lovely four finger head that leaves a trail of sticky legs with an orange/red body. Smell is amazing - one of the best I've ever smelled for a DIPA. I get harsh Christmas tree piney hops throughout with some citrus goodness in the middle. Taste is even better - a creamy orange/tangerine/mango citrus throughout with a harsh piney hops in the finish, almost the opposite of the smell. Also really sweet malts throughout that complement the hops to perfection. The hops are so fresh and juicy. Really outstanding.

This one was something special, and sadly, is something that I probably won't get to try again. One of the best DIPAs, if not THE best DIPA, I've ever had. Wait - the best. There. Thanks, buddy.

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received in a trade from my man Steve in Cali. Thanks again buddy!

A - Pours a beautiful sunset amber color, quite hazy, but not to the point of opaqueness. A dense 3 finger bright white head sits atop the brew with excellent retention. When it finally does fade to a cap, it leaves generous swaths of creamy lace.

S - Massive lemon pith and pineapple jump out immediately in the smell (typical of a Citra hopped beer I'm finding), with mango, peach, and grapefruit rind not far behind. A bit of herbal pine and some slight dank resin also make an appearance, but take a backseat to the fruits. Maybe a hint of a sweet biscuit malt bill.

T - Um, wow. Lots of sweet nectarines, orange and mango in the front, before being pushed aside by heavy pineapple, peach, papaya, lemon pith, with the faint sweet bread malt backbone (barely) propping it up. Finishes with a fantastic blend of herbaceous pine, slight oily resin, grapefruit rind bitterness and some stone fruit sweetness. Just really amazing stuff here.

M - Just as good as it tastes, the mouthfeel is super creamy, slightly oily with a medium body and dry, moderately bitter finish with lingering sweetness. Drinks like an 8% DIPA should.

O - I don't want this bottle to end. This is just world class stuff through and through. Would take it over something like Pliny any day, although HT still reigns as DIPA champ in my book. Nevertheless, this bottle is just packed with juicy, drippy hops from start to finish, with an incredible mouthfeel to back it up. I'll be trading for more of this.

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium globe. Pours a hazy dark gold/orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head. The aroma is very strong, a lot of fruits (pineapple, citrus, mango) along with some pine notes. The taste is very much like the great aroma, a lot of tropical fruits and some complimenting malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and crisp, an easy drinker for sure, but the lack of bitterness and the fact that it was lacking complexity in the finish was a bit of a letdown.

A very nice DIPA for sure, but not quite the world-beater I was expecting.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Acquired in a trade with AutomaticBastard, good looking out bro!

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber

A: pours a nice deep golden color, with about a 1 inch head. Persistent head tightly packed bubble, get bigger toward the middle of the glass

S: Tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, guava, with the citrus fruits such as lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit fighting for the dominant aroma.

T: grapefruit rind, orange peel, pineapple, with very little malt character in the background. the taste is crisp and dry, unlike many double ipas on the market that leave a cloying sweetness in the tast. definetly has a bitter not sweet finish

M: med to light body, with a refreshing dryness.
as the taste is swished in my mouth it almost dissapears into a cotton candy like mouthfeel.

O: this beer was definetly worth the wait. it reminds me alot of the profile of alpine ipas, hop profile that smacks you right on the face with a bouquet of citrus and tropical aromas and flavors, without the sweetness and more of the bitter not sweet taste and body. great beer

4.8/5  rDev +5%

Poured from the bottle (batch released on 11/25/11) into tulip.

Pours an amber/orange/peach color, semi-cloudy with a white dense two finger head which dissipates into a thin layer of foam on the surface. Lacing is sticky and slow to drip. It's not as clear as some other beers but I happen to like that.

Smell is incredible with this beer. Huge citrus notes from sweet valencia orange, light manila mango, to mandarin orange. Faint whiff of alcohol that's predominantly masked by the sweet citrus. What a joy to smell.

The taste is filled with lemon peel, mandarin orange, with a bright and dry bitterness that's somewhat reminiscent of over-steeped green tea. Bright floral notes dance with the citrus.

Mouthfeel is crisp without being too carbonated. There's no shortage of bubbles but you're not inundated with that harsh finish in the throat that plagues some beers of this type.

I feel like such a homer writing this review because my score suggests it, but I'm truly trying to be objective about this beer. I'm trying to find chinks in the armor, so to speak, but I really can't find any. If i were to find a flaw, it would probably speak more about my taste preferences than the beer itself. I love this beer for what it is, an amazing, peerless citrus bomb.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Kern Brewing Company

Color: A nice vibrant amber orange shines through the glass. Pretty clear beer. A one finger head sits at top of the beer and of the off white shade. This beer leaves behind a good amount of lacing all the way down the glass.

Nose: Sublime! Extremely floral and filled with explosive citrus smells. Orange, peach, and pineapple shine through. The citra hop provides a wonderful aroma and the amarillo hop provides the slight bitterness and extra citrus punch. Smells heavenly.

Palate: Refreshing and quite complex for DIPA. The beer sticks to your mouth, but as it swims on the tongue you get all these wonderful fruit flavors and gentle hop bitterness and fresh pine textures. The drinkability of this beer is amazing and the carbonation is just perfect for this brew. The Abv is no where to be found.

Finish: A bit sticky and bitter, but extremely smooth and drinkable. The hops have a huge presence here and the citrus fades to the background, but that is not a bad thing. A gentle sweetness shines through here giving Citra another level of complexity. Probably the best DIPA I have ever had to date.

Rating: 97 out 100

4.57/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle (care of Stupac2 - thanks!) poured into a sam adams perfect pint. Super fresh - this was released ~2 weeks ago and been refridgerated for half of that time.

A- golden amber with a soft 2 finger head. Good clarity. Looks absolutely delicious

S- I can smell citra hops from across the room. Sweet, tangy citrus - a lot of orange, but multidimensional as well.

T- Good hop presence with a somewhat surprising amount of bitterness. Not harsh by any means, but less citrus sweetness than I'd expect. Dare I say it feels a touch small for a DIPA...delicious

M- Easy on the palate. Well done.

O- Overall an excellent beer. The smell is downright incredible and places this brew among the elite. I wish I had more of this. Thanks for the hookup, Stuart!

got this brew through a trade and thank you so much for it. A totally awesome brew. So fresh absolutely one of the best DIPA out there. Full of Citra, grapefruit and flowery sweetness that only having a sip can explain. Well worth the travel to find one. Oh yeah and it is full of CITRA and a little more CITRA.

4.84/5  rDev +5.9%

Courtesy of Mike, who shagged a few bottles at the release the weekend before.

A "flavorful" smell (a mix of citrus and pineapple) with great floral qualities, as well. As for the taste...I think balance was the word. A great balance of hops, sweet, and malty. My new gold-standard for DIPAs.

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this on tap at the Kern River Brew pub. I think the other reviews speak for this beer. I could just sit and smell this beer all day it smells so good. It's a tropical fruit salad. The taste is great as well. As far as drinkability, I could drink a growler in a siting it's so good. Get some!

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Woah, am I glad I got to try this!!

The drive up to Kern was a pain in the ass that's forsure!

This DIPA makes it all worth it, though.

This beer is phenomenal, the fruity hoppy aroma is present, but not overpowering, the taste is a perfect representation of what Citra hops are capable of, light pine with the perfect mix of hoppy citrus notes!

Wow was this tasty!

Great beer.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber split and poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

a: bright orange with 1.5 finger head

s: WOW! This may be the best smelling IPA I have ever had! All orange and tropical fruit.

t: Orange rind comes through at first. Not a hop bomb, but enough for you to keep wanting more.

m: This goes down way to easily for a DIPA. No cloying sweetness like some DIPAs.

I love any beer with Citra hops! The smell makes this beer amazing by itself.

4.86/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours a golden copper with a layer of pure white lacing foam. Looks hazy hard to see through.

S- Big aromas of mango, orange and citrus. Small hints of malt.

T- Mango and pineapple, sweet malts and a slight lingering finish of earthy hops.

M- Solid medium body, well rounded. Medium carbonation.

O- Great well rounded dipa. I would drink this again if I could. I would still much rather prefer a heady topper, pliney, or abrasive. Kern river falls just a hair a short.

4.79/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Golden wheat with a nice layer of head
S: Slight dankness, but fully of fruit
T: Big juicy citrus notes with a balanced malt underpinning
F: Super creamy and mellow
O: Gorgeous use of the citra and amarillo hops - this is an exceptionally balanced beer. Had this side by side with Double Sunshine and this was the overwhelming winner

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle. Clear golden pour with a nice white head. Tropical fruit & citrusy hop aromas. The taste pretty much follows suit with peach, orange, mango, pineapple, and pine notes supported by a muted caramel malt backbone. Light and refreshing. A very nice DIPA, but maybe not worth all the hype...

This is a review of the recent batch released on Feb 10.
Pint at KRBC on Feb 15. Reviewed on my phone, so its short and sweet.
A: orange haze beautiful head like the awesome beauty it is
S: what else can I say? Tangerine fruit, hops,grapefruit,apricots
T: follows the aroma...hops,orange goodness,like an orange
M: Medium bodied resiny flavor but not lingering
D: awesome

I am glad KRBC went back to small batches on this beer and the quality shows. This reminded me of the early batches...phenominal is all I can say. 5 stars all around. Well done guys.

4.57/5  rDev 0%

Thanks for billshmeinke for sending a growler my way. I waited a few days after receiving it to split with a buddy, so I was a little concerned about the carbonation. However, pouring this into a Delirium Tremens snifter left a nice fluffy two-finger head. Holding it up to a light reveals a dark orange, almost brown, appearance. A few swirls leaves spidery lacing around the edges of the snifter. The aroma is something to behold...it was immediately noticeable after the pour and both the caramel from the malts and pleasant piney/orange citrus hops took center stage. Taste closely follows the aroma, with a near-perfect balance of the the caramelly malt backbone and those wonderful Citra hops...just right amount of bitterness, not overpowering. The mouthfeel is also about near-perfect for a DIPA....not too syrupy, just nice medium-bodied, smooth, and creamy DIPA. I don't know if I would rate this ahead of Pliny, Dreadnaught, and a few others, but it is one highly-drinkable brew and if available, I'd have a constant supply in the fridge....we polished off that growler a little quicker than I thought we would...it just goes down so smooth, with just enough hop bitterness to make you want another swig. Nice job Kern River!!

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Split a bomber with Walows. Been dying to try this for ages but our Kern River fishing trip/beer journey has yet to pan out...

I popped the cap and the aroma instantly jumped out of the bottle... Smelled incredible. (Ditto on the pineapple express. Good call!) The color is gorgeous as well, a deep gold and crystal clear.

But the taste disappointed a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty beer, but I suppose with such high expectations it's only natural to be let down, just a little. The drinkability is incredibly high... I don't like the bit of glycerin in the mouthfeel, but otherwise the alcohol is very, very well-hidden.

Overall, it's a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottled opened on 8/26 and poured into my RR pint glass.

A- Liquid gold. About two fingers of off white head leave lots of lacing down the glass. Looks really great.

S- I could smell this form a mile away. A barrage of citra hops. Pineapple, mango, pine. Amazing. Smells just like a Nelson from Alpine and, well, that (up to this date) has been my favorite smelling beer ever.

T- Wow. Amazing. So juicy. Follows the nose with the mango, pineapple, orange, pine. It's like having a ripe fruit salad in Hawaii. What an amazing aftertaste. It just lingers forever.

M- So smooth. Perfect carbonation. Medium bodied. So creamy and chewy.

O- I really hate how hyped this beer was, and yet I understand it. It combines the best of west coast IPAs and, all in all, surpasses what other breweries do so well. The best double IPA I've ever had. I'd love to see this as a year-round beer, but we'll see. another amazing beer from Kern River.

This review is being transcribed from notes from a prior bottling (2011) Huge, fruity DIPA which is all about hop flavor as opposed to hop bitterness. Tropical, citric flavors with no trace of alcohol. Excellent lacing, abundant hop aroma. Definitely the best dipa I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to Solomon420 for a growler of this when it first came out.

Pours hazy orange with an off white head.

The smell is exceptional. Mango, pineapple, pine, grapefruit, oranges, hop resin, apricots. No alcohol or malt to speak of, which is what I want in my DIPA.

Taste follows suit with tons of tropical fruit, pine, resin, and soe apricot. Just the right amount of bitterness that isn't overwhelming.

Really nice and dry. Extremely easy to drink for a DIPA.

Just an exceptional IIPA. I had this a couple weeks after a Pliny the Younger growler and this wins out easily.

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Thorpe429 for sharing this, and to Solomon420 for sending it to him.
A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a one-finger white, foamy head.
S: Perhaps one of the fruitiest DIPAs I've ever had, and I mean that in a very good way. This has the most peach and apricot aroma in any beer that doesn't have the actual fruit in the beer. There is also a lot of pineapple, grapefruit, and orange.
T: Wow! The taste is incredible. There is a HUGE amount of peach and orange in the flavor, followed by lemon, pineapple, passion fruit, and mango. The amount of tropical fruits as well as as citrus in this flavor is astonishing.
M: Very creamy mouthfeel - medium bodied and finishes dry with a lingering citrus bitterness.
D: Goes down nice and smooth, each sip making me thirst for more.
Overall this is one incredible DIPA, and one of the best I've ever had. And considering that the beer I'm reviewing came from a week old hand bottle, I'm completely floored. I can't wait for more breweries to use Citra hops, because it is now my favorite for IPAs. If you are reading this review and have access to this beer, please trade with me!

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company