Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale - Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary AleWinter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: soughtbygod on 05-14-2011)
Reviews by HoshuaJobbs:
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a cloudy orange/copper. It's a GREAT head that finally dissipates after a few minutes but leaves a sticky heavy lacing. Oily hops purely smell of CITRA that is what is EXPECTED from a CRAZY West Coast Imperial IPA. Very Hop Foward with a Great Malt back bone that gives a wonderful mouth feel. Couldn't get any better of a body with the Hops that have been used. Like I said, Very hoppy bitter taste, BUT! Enough body to give it a nice "swirl" around in the mouth without having it leave so fast. I LOVE THIS BEER. If KRBC's CITRA (which I never had, but WILL this year for sure since there bottling it) is even close to this, I could understand WHY they have such HIGH ratings! I LOVE THIS DIPA. I bought 2 bombers and went back for another 2 the next day at Liquor Mart Whittier. Come to find out they were already SOLD OUT! The finsih has a Nice long hoppy, oily ifinish of Citra hops and VERY FRUITY! A touch of Flowers but this is pure Citrus and Fruits! A+

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass poured from a growler. Pours a dark amber with a nice head, about 1 finger, that dissipates into lace around the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus mixed with pine. It is medium bodied and highly drinkable. Feels good going down. A really good DIPA that hides the alcohol content well.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. This is a beer I have been looking forward to trying.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of tropical fruit notes with some bread from the malt. The fruit I get includes papaya and pineapple.

The flavor is also extremely fruity. I get a ton of papaya, mango and pineapple with some bread notes. There is some nice hop bitterness but the majority of the hop character comes through as fruit.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An awesome beer.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to APreacher for the bottle!

22 oz bottle pulled from the fridge and poured into a snifter. No freshness info. I too think there was some sort of labeling error as I at first thought this was the Winter (rye) Ale, but this is definatly an IPA.

Pours out a slightly hazy deep golden orange color with a very nice white head that shows some great retention and leaves quite a bit of sticky lace stuck to the glass.

Very nice aroma. Dank, pungent hops, smells like maybe some Nelson was used. Vegetal, juicy tropical fruits, candied citrus.

Loving this beer. Reminds me a little bit of Nelson from alpine and a little bit of nugget nectar. Juicy, dank, resinous. Juicy tropical fruits, a bit vegetal and onion, but totally in a good way, sweet citrus, a little pine needle, maybe some fresh sticky weed. Again, tastes just like Nelson hops were used with maybe a bit of citra? Malt isn't too noticeable, maybe just enough for the hops to play off of.

Finishes really clean and drink rather smoothly with a lot of bitterness that lingers. A bit sticky in the mouthfrom all the hops, medium bodied, almost feels a bit light and airy from a slightly higher than normal carbonation.

Im very impressed with this beer. Smells and tastes like a handful of fresh hop cones. If this was available to me, I'd come back to it again and again. Trade for this now!

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Growler

Kern River Brewing Company
Kernville, CA

Dark, clear amber. Thick, off-white, soapy head. Regular lacing down the glass.

Pungent and tropical aromas galore: pineapple, orange, and mango aromas from the hops are explosive as well as floral highlights. There's a touch of bready caramel and some slight pine--but this is certainly a showcase of hops. Wow!

This is hugely bitter, which I don't at all mind, but it almost seems to get in the way of the juicy, delicate, citrusy hop notes, at least at first. That being said, once past the bitterness, there's plenty of grapefruit/orange/melon flavor to fawn over.

Exceptionally full yet disappearing mouthfeel. Incredibly drinkable.

Incredible DIPA, but not quite as good as Citra.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap at the brewery while watching Marquette lose to eventual Big East champion Louisville in what was a meaningless game pretty much. A light orange and yellow color, relatively impressive for such a hoppy beer head formation, around 1" in depth.

An aroma that was nice tangerine citrus aroma hoppiness, soft on the bitterness and alcohol, big on the fruity hop goodness, quite nice, seemingly they used citra and/or nelson in this, probably with a little simcoe and cascade too. Great at hiding the alcohol on it, very drinkable, three pints went down effortlessly, in fact, I was restraining myself as best I could. So impressed, I bought refill on the growler, and 12 bottles to share with friends, family & fellow beer lovers. I believe 72 hours later all but 2 are accounted for.

I think this is just as good, if not better than Citra. They are extremely similar if you ask me, but this was a little more pungent I thought.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to glitchedmind for this one!

A: Pours a semi hazy orange color with a large, two finger white head on top, very thick foam with great retention and lacing all around.

S: Nice tropical fruit aromas, some grapefruit, pineapple, and citrus zest. A little bit of grainy malt as well. Thick and juicy, but not over the top.

T: Nice grapefruit up front with more zest/pithy flavor. Tropical fruits and some light bready malt. Very well balanced.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with no sign of 8% at all.

O: Another great IPA from Kern River. Hopefully they continue to make this one!

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Slightly hazy amber color with a solid 1+cm head with excellent retention and lacing.

Bright, fresh, Lovely nose full of tropical fruit,citrus and pineapple.

Flavor follows the nose quite well but evenbetter. Just amazing. Bright, fresh and wonderful citrus, tropical fruit with pineapple with just a touch of sweetness to balance it all out, but not a typical malt sweetness. More of a natural fruit, sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Fresh and crisp with med-high carb.

This is an amazing beer. Such a great representation of the style and the amazing ipas we have here in Cali. Not quite as good as Citra, but I'd drink this every day if I could!

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a hazy orange almost hay color. Very nice sticky white head with tons of lacing.

Aroma is so hoppy citrus. Not the most aromatic I've had but very nice. Slight sweet aroma.

Taste is amazing. One of the best I've had and the best I've had is heady topper. Smooth dry and slightly sweet in the finish but with a super nice hop taste that is citrucy and a bit piny. I'm gunna need to find more of this before I can't any more.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a slight maltyness. Has that distinct hoppy beer mouthfeel that I love.

Another great IPA from Kern River. Still need to try Citra but Just Outstanding is good. Get it and try it. You won't be disappointed.

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale from Kern River Brewing Company