Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale - Kern River Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 89
Reviews by akang:
4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a cloudy orange/copper. It's a GREAT head that finally dissipates after a few minutes but leaves a sticky heavy lacing. Oily hops purely smell of CITRA that is what is EXPECTED from a CRAZY West Coast Imperial IPA. Very Hop Foward with a Great Malt back bone that gives a wonderful mouth feel. Couldn't get any better of a body with the Hops that have been used. Like I said, Very hoppy bitter taste, BUT! Enough body to give it a nice "swirl" around in the mouth without having it leave so fast. I LOVE THIS BEER. If KRBC's CITRA (which I never had, but WILL this year for sure since there bottling it) is even close to this, I could understand WHY they have such HIGH ratings! I LOVE THIS DIPA. I bought 2 bombers and went back for another 2 the next day at Liquor Mart Whittier. Come to find out they were already SOLD OUT! The finsih has a Nice long hoppy, oily ifinish of Citra hops and VERY FRUITY! A touch of Flowers but this is pure Citrus and Fruits! A+

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass poured from a growler. Pours a dark amber with a nice head, about 1 finger, that dissipates into lace around the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus mixed with pine. It is medium bodied and highly drinkable. Feels good going down. A really good DIPA that hides the alcohol content well.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. This is a beer I have been looking forward to trying.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of tropical fruit notes with some bread from the malt. The fruit I get includes papaya and pineapple.

The flavor is also extremely fruity. I get a ton of papaya, mango and pineapple with some bread notes. There is some nice hop bitterness but the majority of the hop character comes through as fruit.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An awesome beer.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to APreacher for the bottle!

22 oz bottle pulled from the fridge and poured into a snifter. No freshness info. I too think there was some sort of labeling error as I at first thought this was the Winter (rye) Ale, but this is definatly an IPA.

Pours out a slightly hazy deep golden orange color with a very nice white head that shows some great retention and leaves quite a bit of sticky lace stuck to the glass.

Very nice aroma. Dank, pungent hops, smells like maybe some Nelson was used. Vegetal, juicy tropical fruits, candied citrus.

Loving this beer. Reminds me a little bit of Nelson from alpine and a little bit of nugget nectar. Juicy, dank, resinous. Juicy tropical fruits, a bit vegetal and onion, but totally in a good way, sweet citrus, a little pine needle, maybe some fresh sticky weed. Again, tastes just like Nelson hops were used with maybe a bit of citra? Malt isn't too noticeable, maybe just enough for the hops to play off of.

Finishes really clean and drink rather smoothly with a lot of bitterness that lingers. A bit sticky in the mouthfrom all the hops, medium bodied, almost feels a bit light and airy from a slightly higher than normal carbonation.

Im very impressed with this beer. Smells and tastes like a handful of fresh hop cones. If this was available to me, I'd come back to it again and again. Trade for this now!

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%

Growler

Kern River Brewing Company
Kernville, CA

Dark, clear amber. Thick, off-white, soapy head. Regular lacing down the glass.

Pungent and tropical aromas galore: pineapple, orange, and mango aromas from the hops are explosive as well as floral highlights. There's a touch of bready caramel and some slight pine--but this is certainly a showcase of hops. Wow!

This is hugely bitter, which I don't at all mind, but it almost seems to get in the way of the juicy, delicate, citrusy hop notes, at least at first. That being said, once past the bitterness, there's plenty of grapefruit/orange/melon flavor to fawn over.

Exceptionally full yet disappearing mouthfeel. Incredibly drinkable.

Incredible DIPA, but not quite as good as Citra.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap at the brewery while watching Marquette lose to eventual Big East champion Louisville in what was a meaningless game pretty much. A light orange and yellow color, relatively impressive for such a hoppy beer head formation, around 1" in depth.

An aroma that was nice tangerine citrus aroma hoppiness, soft on the bitterness and alcohol, big on the fruity hop goodness, quite nice, seemingly they used citra and/or nelson in this, probably with a little simcoe and cascade too. Great at hiding the alcohol on it, very drinkable, three pints went down effortlessly, in fact, I was restraining myself as best I could. So impressed, I bought refill on the growler, and 12 bottles to share with friends, family & fellow beer lovers. I believe 72 hours later all but 2 are accounted for.

I think this is just as good, if not better than Citra. They are extremely similar if you ask me, but this was a little more pungent I thought.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to glitchedmind for this one!

A: Pours a semi hazy orange color with a large, two finger white head on top, very thick foam with great retention and lacing all around.

S: Nice tropical fruit aromas, some grapefruit, pineapple, and citrus zest. A little bit of grainy malt as well. Thick and juicy, but not over the top.

T: Nice grapefruit up front with more zest/pithy flavor. Tropical fruits and some light bready malt. Very well balanced.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with no sign of 8% at all.

O: Another great IPA from Kern River. Hopefully they continue to make this one!

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Slightly hazy amber color with a solid 1+cm head with excellent retention and lacing.

Bright, fresh, Lovely nose full of tropical fruit,citrus and pineapple.

Flavor follows the nose quite well but evenbetter. Just amazing. Bright, fresh and wonderful citrus, tropical fruit with pineapple with just a touch of sweetness to balance it all out, but not a typical malt sweetness. More of a natural fruit, sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Fresh and crisp with med-high carb.

This is an amazing beer. Such a great representation of the style and the amazing ipas we have here in Cali. Not quite as good as Citra, but I'd drink this every day if I could!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a hazy orange almost hay color. Very nice sticky white head with tons of lacing.

Aroma is so hoppy citrus. Not the most aromatic I've had but very nice. Slight sweet aroma.

Taste is amazing. One of the best I've had and the best I've had is heady topper. Smooth dry and slightly sweet in the finish but with a super nice hop taste that is citrucy and a bit piny. I'm gunna need to find more of this before I can't any more.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a slight maltyness. Has that distinct hoppy beer mouthfeel that I love.

Another great IPA from Kern River. Still need to try Citra but Just Outstanding is good. Get it and try it. You won't be disappointed.

Fresh January 2012 batch...in fact the place I drank this had received cases the day after bottling...
Wow, another very solid very drinkable beer from KRBC (all their beer is solid and drinkable). I only wish they brewed this as a regular offering. But what I hear from Kyle Smith is that they will brew a few more batches this month, so at least its going to be around a bit longer. This DIPA is different from Citra, but just as delicious. In fact, I personally may like this just a tad better than Citra, which is hard because thats one delicious beer. This beer is very close to Lawson's Double Sunshine (which by the way I also gave 5/5 rating). But Kyle likes his IPA/DIPA to have a light orange tint and a bit hazy, which makes it look so damn beautiful in a clear (non frosted mind you) pint glass catching the sunshine as it sets for the evening. I just cant wait to grab a few more this weekend at my favorite BBQ spot, Red House BBQ.
Well done guys!

Just picked up a couple of super fresh bottles today. My first time witht this brew.

Initial impact is the gorgeous sunset orange color topped with a creamy fluffy one head bright white head, absolutely beautiful looking beer.

Nose is outrageous ! Kern can really make some amazingly perfumed brews and this is no exception. My all time favorite nose would be their Citra and though different it's still as intense and magnificent as Citra. If the amps went to 11 on the taste amps then this is where I would score this brew. Crazy fresh orange, tangerines, sweet juicy red grapefruit and just enough bitter kick from the hops to create one of the best tasting beers I have ever had, bravo Kyle, you really know how to make DIPA's that are approachable and so refreshingly balanced. The mouth is crisp, bone dry and totally refreshing, it begs for more. I had high hopes for this brew having been very fortunate to get my fair share of all the Kern beers and it not only didn't disappoint it blew me away just as Citra did. Simply amazing craft beer, world class in every respect.

Had it on tap at Toronado, S.D. and had multiple bottles.

This is just an amazing beer. It looks, smells and tastes phenomenal. A lot of hops and citrus and tangerine - all with a subtle hop bite - my favorite style of IPA.

World class folks. Try and acquire this at all costs.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A long time want by me and generously given to me as an extra by cocoapuph. A little over two months old at this point.

Appearance – Pours into a Captain Lawrence pint glass with a hazy dark golden color and about a finger of slight of white head that dissipates leaving nice lacing.

Smell – Lots of tropical fruits such as tangerine, orange, and grapefruit give a wonderful citrus aroma. Slight floral hops with a bit of sticky pine resin at the tail end. The end gives off just a little toffee/caramel backbone.

Taste – Wow. So much tropical fruits. I love…LOVE tropical fruits in DIPA’s. I swear, this tastes like the first batch of The Oracle by bells with a couple months on it. Still a nice hoppy bite at the end, but first and foremost there is sweet (but not malty sweet) tropical fruit flavors up front (heavy mango and tangerine which then finishes with ripe orange juice). I’m sure this has become just a bit sweeter with those few months of age on it, but this is honestly how I love my DIPA’s. Slight floral and bitter hops mixed in with a heavy dose of sweet tropical fruit flavor, and just a bit of a caramel backbone. As stated, the sweetness is not cloying like I get in 90min from the malts, but is instead from “fruits”.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, chewy, oily, lower carbonation than thought, finishes not dry but almost there.

Overall – One of the most drinkable DIPA’s I’ve encountered. Huge tropical notes yet still a nice bitterness mixed in. Kern freaking makes some amazing D/IPA’s. Will seek out come next release.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a clear golden-yellow with a finger of white head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: loads of citrus here. Oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit dominate with notes of pineapple. There is some honey sweetness toward the end.

T: grapefruit and orange dominate the flavor with earthy pine flavors. Lightly bitter with just a hint of alcohol presence. Delicious.

M: medium body and carbonation, this beer is nicely carbonated and avoids being too sticky or watery.

O: a great DIPA overall. Delicious and aromatic. Fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%

Big thanks to Mike over at Glendale Whole Foods hanging on to a few bottles for me since I was out of town when this arrived.

Pours a cloudy orange that turns to a florescent straw like yellow when I hold it up to the light. A semi aggressive pour left me a beautiful two finger egg shell head. The head sat around for quite a long time and then settled to a cap that stayed fairly thick around the edges. Left gobs of sticky lacing on my Duvel Green glass. Absolutely stunning.

Quite subtle in the aroma. Definite notes of sweet malts, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel, pine, and some floral notes. You really have to get into the glass to pick these up though.

For whatever the smell lacked, the taste made up for. Absolutely flawless taste in my opinion. Upfront with the sweet tropical fruit base, followed by a nice grapefruit and citrus centered. The taste is closed out by that beautiful piney, dry, and hoppy finish. Outstanding taste to this one.

Mouthfeel is somewhat scary. I was shooting a BM to LSUPT and poured this right before I started. I realized by the time I finished my first glass which was roughly 11 oz, I wasn't even halfway done with what I was writing. Probably took me 3 minutes to finish those 11 ounces. This is insanely drinkable. I pick up no alcohol, it is lightly carbonated, and medium bodied. Spot on for the style.

I beg you, Kern River, please make this a year round offering. If not that, at least a seasonal or surprise us with bottles from time to time. This was an outstanding beer and I really hope its not a one time thing.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a murky dull orange with a big 3 finger head leaving excellent retention all the way down the glass.

Smells strongly of tropical fruit and citrus hops. It's a little balanced though as bready malt also peaks in.

A little bit of tropical fruit and citrus flavor up front in the palate, but muted compared to the aroma. A little bit of bready biscuit tasting malt balanced this out and it finishes with a dry piney bitterness.

A little bit creamy with good carbonation levels.

Another very solid beer from Kern, although I prefer the Citra every so slightly. This one grew on me the more I delved into it and it went down way too smooth. I love the dry pine finish as a contrast to the citrus/bread flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

golden amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top of it,

a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip.

On tap at GHS.

Hazy amber body with a tall lasting head, a few shades darker than Citra. A lot of tangerine and orange on the nose, very citrus forward with floral undertones. Little malt character to the aroma. The palate has a bigger malt foundation, though it's by no means sweet. Orange, tangerine and perfumey floral notes provide most of the flavor. Beneath that there's a light backbone of bread crust and caramel malt. The finish exhibits a lower-moderate level of bitterness that never wears down the palate. Overall, this is another exceptionally good beer from Kern River, who are fast becoming one of my favorite breweries in California.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

On-tap at the Bruery 3rd Anniversary fest. I had to go back for at least 5 or 6 tasters of it because it was so good.

Pours dark yellow with two finger off white head. Huge lacing all the way to the bottom and great head retention.

Smells like peach, apricot, grapefruit, and a touch of grass. Great aromatic use of Amarillo. So perfect on the nose. Rivals Pliny and other world class IPA's.

Tastes bitter up front, light citrus flavors in the middle. Aprocot is strong as are peach and grapefruit. Finishes dry and warming. The small amount of grassy hops used also contribute to a complex hop profile. There is hardly any malt to be tasted, which is exactly how I like my IPA's: dry and bitter.

Carbonation and body are medium. Mouthfeel is almost creamy. This one is a huge winner.

Overall, I would drink this any day it was available. Unfortunately I probably won't get my hands on it to try again. Sigh. Cheers to Kern, while I'm not a huge fan of Just Outstanding, this beer lives up to that name.

Edit 3/3/12. Changed smell and overall to five. This is my favorite beer.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle graciously sent by smarcoly and marissatheyounger, so thank you both! 22 ounce capped bottle poured into a globe glass.

A: Hazy golden-orange colored body with a thick and creamy white head. Great sticky lacing covers the walls of the glass, as well as leaving a patchy tight bubbled retention cap and ring. Gorgeous looking beer although I'd like a bit less haze.

S: Huge tropical and citrus fruits along with some slight floral hop notes. Orange, mango, pink grapefruit and peach all pour out from the glass giving this a massive aroma. The bitterness of the hops come in for some nice diversity, but it's just a massive "west coast" style Double IPA.

T: Like the nose, citrus fruits are at the forefront with more orange, pink grapefruit, mango, papaya and peach. A sharp bitterness comes in towards the back end reminding you what you're drinking and giving a really nice cut to the citrus flavors. The malts give a nice balance too.

M: Well carbonated, smooth and medium-bodied. There's nothing off about this feel, it's creamy with just the right about of bubbles.

It's hard to say if I preferred this over Citra DIPA but these are honestly neck-in-neck with each other. Both exemplify exactly what I love about "west coast" IPAs in general with their big citrusy and juicy nature. Another astonishing beer from Kern River.

4.09/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a golden hue. There is a finger of fluffy, off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour. There is some mild lacing on the edge of the glass.

Smell: Lots of sweet citrus bitterness. A good amount of malt, but the thing that catches my attention is the citrus notes. It reminds me of tangerine and clementine. There is some warm alcohol in the mix as well.

Taste: Great balance of sweet malt and bitter hops, but the taste still manages to be light considering the abv. Citrus peel hop bitterness with some tangerine. The alcohol is still here, but not as prevalent as the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly, delicate carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very good beer, but I don't know that it lived up to the hype for me. I would have it again if they make it.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

22 oz poured into a tulip glass. Big thanks to DearthVader

A- Pours a hazy orange with a nice fluffy two finger head. Leaves thin lines of lacing.

S- Lot's of citrus upfront with some grapefruit and orange and some tropical notes including pineapple and mango with some pine and caramel malt as well

T- Citrus hops including mandarine, orange peel and grapefruit with pineapple, mango apricots, peach and melon. Hint of pine and floral hops with some nice caramel malt backbone.

M- Medium carbonation and body, Sticky and slightly dry finish. Very drinkable.

O- Another great IPA from Kern River. Great tropical and citrus notes with very little bitterness. Really excited to try the Citra when it comes out. Highly recommended.

Thanks again Brian!

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Look: Pours a yellowish orange color with a 1/4 inch off white head and good retention with some spotty lacing

Smell: Copious amounts of tropical fruits

Taste: Based on the nose it is a bit of a let down. The flavors are of grapefruit and other tropical fruits but way muted based on the nose

Mouthfeel: Medium body and fair amount of carbonation

Overall: Not nearly as good as citra but still a damn fine DIPA

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. An unexpected treat from DearthVader.

A - Orange body with a big eggshell colored head. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. That is a nice looking beer

S - Nice mango and other tropical fruit notes, a little bit of citrus like aroma and a hint of sweetness

T - Boy am I glad I got to try this. The flavor follows in the footsteps of the aroma. Nice fruity notes, almost like drinking a smoothie. mango with a little orange rind. A pale malt backbone that just sticks a nice light grain flavor in at the finish. Not really bitter but not sweet either this thing is the epitome of balance. After reading up about the Falconer's Flight hops used in this you can really see how they all add something to this especially the Citra and Sorachi Ace. I think the Sorachi Ace really peeks through in the finish mingling with the malt to give you a nice grainy taste.

M - medium bodied, a good amount of carbonation. About what you'd expect in the beer.

O - What a fantastic beer. I would love to have this one again. I know this is an Anniversary beer but I really think Kern River should revisit this brew again.

to view more.