2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale - Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary AleWinter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: soughtbygod on 05-14-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 89 | Show All Ratings:
Solomon420

Fresh January 2012 batch...in fact the place I drank this had received cases the day after bottling...
Wow, another very solid very drinkable beer from KRBC (all their beer is solid and drinkable). I only wish they brewed this as a regular offering. But what I hear from Kyle Smith is that they will brew a few more batches this month, so at least its going to be around a bit longer. This DIPA is different from Citra, but just as delicious. In fact, I personally may like this just a tad better than Citra, which is hard because thats one delicious beer. This beer is very close to Lawson's Double Sunshine (which by the way I also gave 5/5 rating). But Kyle likes his IPA/DIPA to have a light orange tint and a bit hazy, which makes it look so damn beautiful in a clear (non frosted mind you) pint glass catching the sunshine as it sets for the evening. I just cant wait to grab a few more this weekend at my favorite BBQ spot, Red House BBQ.
Well done guys!

01-20-2012 16:05:00 | More by Solomon420
OTB

Just picked up a couple of super fresh bottles today. My first time witht this brew.

Initial impact is the gorgeous sunset orange color topped with a creamy fluffy one head bright white head, absolutely beautiful looking beer.

Nose is outrageous ! Kern can really make some amazingly perfumed brews and this is no exception. My all time favorite nose would be their Citra and though different it's still as intense and magnificent as Citra. If the amps went to 11 on the taste amps then this is where I would score this brew. Crazy fresh orange, tangerines, sweet juicy red grapefruit and just enough bitter kick from the hops to create one of the best tasting beers I have ever had, bravo Kyle, you really know how to make DIPA's that are approachable and so refreshingly balanced. The mouth is crisp, bone dry and totally refreshing, it begs for more. I had high hopes for this brew having been very fortunate to get my fair share of all the Kern beers and it not only didn't disappoint it blew me away just as Citra did. Simply amazing craft beer, world class in every respect.

03-02-2012 02:07:47 | More by OTB
jamex

Had it on tap at Toronado, S.D. and had multiple bottles.

This is just an amazing beer. It looks, smells and tastes phenomenal. A lot of hops and citrus and tangerine - all with a subtle hop bite - my favorite style of IPA.

World class folks. Try and acquire this at all costs.

03-09-2012 23:33:31 | More by jamex
Sebowski

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Looks great. Thick full head. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.
Smells fantastic. Fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit.... (What? Grapefruit is a citrus?) Very inviting.
Tastes super fresh. Front is all fresh chewy floral hops. Finish is a good strong bitterness. Really wonderful. Going down way too easy.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Luscious enough to coat the cheeks with hoppiness and dry out with a good West Coast bitterness.
I can't believe how fast I crushed this bomber. Leaves me longing for more.

06-05-2011 05:59:26 | More by Sebowski
dmsohyea

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

On-tap at the Bruery 3rd Anniversary fest. I had to go back for at least 5 or 6 tasters of it because it was so good.

Pours dark yellow with two finger off white head. Huge lacing all the way to the bottom and great head retention.

Smells like peach, apricot, grapefruit, and a touch of grass. Great aromatic use of Amarillo. So perfect on the nose. Rivals Pliny and other world class IPA's.

Tastes bitter up front, light citrus flavors in the middle. Aprocot is strong as are peach and grapefruit. Finishes dry and warming. The small amount of grassy hops used also contribute to a complex hop profile. There is hardly any malt to be tasted, which is exactly how I like my IPA's: dry and bitter.

Carbonation and body are medium. Mouthfeel is almost creamy. This one is a huge winner.

Overall, I would drink this any day it was available. Unfortunately I probably won't get my hands on it to try again. Sigh. Cheers to Kern, while I'm not a huge fan of Just Outstanding, this beer lives up to that name.

Edit 3/3/12. Changed smell and overall to five. This is my favorite beer.

06-17-2011 23:49:53 | More by dmsohyea
StevenT562

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a cloudy orange/copper. It's a GREAT head that finally dissipates after a few minutes but leaves a sticky heavy lacing. Oily hops purely smell of CITRA that is what is EXPECTED from a CRAZY West Coast Imperial IPA. Very Hop Foward with a Great Malt back bone that gives a wonderful mouth feel. Couldn't get any better of a body with the Hops that have been used. Like I said, Very hoppy bitter taste, BUT! Enough body to give it a nice "swirl" around in the mouth without having it leave so fast. I LOVE THIS BEER. If KRBC's CITRA (which I never had, but WILL this year for sure since there bottling it) is even close to this, I could understand WHY they have such HIGH ratings! I LOVE THIS DIPA. I bought 2 bombers and went back for another 2 the next day at Liquor Mart Whittier. Come to find out they were already SOLD OUT! The finsih has a Nice long hoppy, oily ifinish of Citra hops and VERY FRUITY! A touch of Flowers but this is pure Citrus and Fruits! A+

06-19-2011 06:32:48 | More by StevenT562
soughtbygod

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This is an amazing beer. It was just released yesterday. And it is by far one of the best DIPA's that I have ever had. It had a thick frothy slight off white foam that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves real nice lacing. It is Dark orange in color, and smells wonderful. It has plentiful hop character when you drink it but is nicely balance by the malt. I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover out there it is a winner.

05-14-2011 23:37:20 | More by soughtbygod
noahfree

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to Rick at Old Town Liqour for stocking some great IPAs. Picked this up the other night and was down right impressed with it and felt it needed to be reviewed. An inch of head on an agressive pour into my Stone pint glass. Color is pretty much what you would expect from a DIPA. Smell of mango, pine and a little sweet butterscotch. Mouthfeel is amazing and the taste is ... Well its outstanding! Think of this beer like Port Brewery's Mongo meets Firestone's Double Jack. Easily competes with Pliny in my book, cant taste the alcohol and at 8% thats dangerous. I picked up 2 more bombers today cause I know they wont last long. Highly recommended!

05-23-2011 20:08:22 | More by noahfree
MrVonzipper

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Slightly hazy amber color with a solid 1+cm head with excellent retention and lacing.

Bright, fresh, Lovely nose full of tropical fruit,citrus and pineapple.

Flavor follows the nose quite well but evenbetter. Just amazing. Bright, fresh and wonderful citrus, tropical fruit with pineapple with just a touch of sweetness to balance it all out, but not a typical malt sweetness. More of a natural fruit, sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Fresh and crisp with med-high carb.

This is an amazing beer. Such a great representation of the style and the amazing ipas we have here in Cali. Not quite as good as Citra, but I'd drink this every day if I could!

03-09-2012 04:53:56 | More by MrVonzipper
PeprSprYoFace

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a hazy orange almost hay color. Very nice sticky white head with tons of lacing.

Aroma is so hoppy citrus. Not the most aromatic I've had but very nice. Slight sweet aroma.

Taste is amazing. One of the best I've had and the best I've had is heady topper. Smooth dry and slightly sweet in the finish but with a super nice hop taste that is citrucy and a bit piny. I'm gunna need to find more of this before I can't any more.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a slight maltyness. Has that distinct hoppy beer mouthfeel that I love.

Another great IPA from Kern River. Still need to try Citra but Just Outstanding is good. Get it and try it. You won't be disappointed.

06-05-2011 05:47:10 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Klym

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a lovely golden brown, maybe two shades lighter than the bottle itself. Head is full and excited at first, but dies down into a 1 finger head and simmers lower. Beautiful lacing for a DIPA. This looks good.

S: A fruit and berry cocktail with only the finest trace of hops. If the smell is any preview to the taste this is a world class winner of a DIPA.

T: I think this one would break the hearts of many. Again, wonderful and slight hop bitterness with a deeply sweet core. Many beers give traces of various fruits, but this one could be its own fruit and a damned good one at that. Mysterious, full, juicy, refreshing, crisp, so many things at once. Scrambling for better words but none come to mind.

M: The Alpine IPAs tend to have a more refreshing mouthfeel and I'd still say that in comparison. All I can say about this mouthfeel, though, is that it seems absolutely perfect and appropriate for delivering the flavor that it does. Scent, taste, and mouthfeel combined, this is a monster DIPA.

O: I was honestly let down kind of hard by Just Outstanding so I approached this with a lot of skepticism. That said, I was blown out of the water. This is the best DIPA I've ever had, easily, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out it's the best in the world (though I've heard from some that their Citra is even better..). This looks Pliny look like Budweiser Select. If you take IPAs/DIPAs seriously this is an unexcusable must.

06-19-2011 23:55:22 | More by Klym
Cavery

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Shared with Klym, SundaySour, and family on a weekend session! Ah the weekend, at last.

Poured into Stone Nonic.

A: Deep neon honey with swirling solar flares of more intense oranges. Yellow sap edges out the glass. Two and a half finger head rounds out the visual.

S: Tropical fruits with some juicy peach flesh. The smell lingers on mango and passion fruit. Guava in the nose makes me salivate. A brief cameo by some cantaloupe melon. Delicious fruit salad smells, nothing is left out!

T: Um? WOOOW! I was not ready for this. BRB taking a breath. Okay back, this is truly a matador beer from Kern River. drastically different tastes from the smell, but not in a bad way AT ALL. Extremely bright candied rinds flavor the palate with such richness that you half expect there to be some phantom pulp swishing around in your mouth. There is a polygamist marriage of all citrus fruits; where even sweet limes are given a brides maids role in the wedding. Just an incredible citrus juice napalm bomb. Floral hops make an amazing bed for the rest of the flavors to lay upon. Hops welcome some juniper. I give up, this beer is all on it's own, it is just a prismatic flavor experience.

M: the mouth-feel is oh so effervescent. Slow release of tingling wonderment. The sensation matches the zesty spritzing of citrus throughout. Really just so spot on.

O: If I worked at Kern river, I'd feel I could retire after brewing such a precious gem. I will not rant (you think this is ranting? you should have heard me when I tried this). This is perfection. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had. A high throne sits among the other greats. Trade your first born to try this.

06-20-2011 02:10:42 | More by Cavery
Rampage1

Arizona

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Its enough when my favorite double IPA and overall beer is Kern's Citra but can lightning strike twice? Well I would think after drinking this beer that it can.

Appearance: This has a nice beautiful orange color with some slight haziness to it. It has a nice half inch white head to it that never goes away completely the whole time you are drinking this.

Smell: This is where Kern seems to really have it in spades. I won't say it smells as completely awesome as Kern Citra but its barely behind. Mostly a orange noise with a little mango and apricot. No real malt smell to it.

Taste: This is once again a great, balanced beer. Lots of citrus in the front of the palate -- mostly orange with a little bitter orange rind. I think this might be slightly less bitter than Citra and maybe a little more malt to it-- just barely. You get a little malt in the after taste to mellow out the hop bitterness but overall its one hell of a easy drinker.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation that seems to balance out all the nice tropical citrus flavor along with the slight malt backbone this Double has.

Overall: Well I can now say that without a doubt Kern River by a decent margin is my favorite brewery when it comes to Double IPA's. Kyle really knows how to put a masterful, double IPA together. Wish I could get a recipe from Kyle for a double IPA. I didn't know what to expect with such high expectations after having Citra and Just Outstanding but I can say now that between Citra and 5th anniversary it does not get any better. I would put both of their double IPA's in my top 5 favorite Double IPA's. Probably actually in my top 3 favorite doubles. Way to go Kyle. Can't wait to come up and check out the brewery when the bottles of Citra are released. Wish someone would correct the alcohol percentage on this beer which is 8 percent not 7--yes I have sent in a correction change. Kern River is the epitome of what a small brewery can do -- deliver Big Flavor!

07-10-2011 02:31:00 | More by Rampage1
t420o

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger white head that recedes rather quick and leaves some pretty nice lacing. Beer is golden in color

S- The hops are definitely the showcase here. This smells excellent. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had the joy of smelling. Citrus, pine, slight sweetness. Very fresh hop smell.

T- Slight bitterness upfront is greeted by almost like a candied hop taste in the middle and finishes slightly bitter in the end. What a great beer! There are hints of pine, tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, and a little sweetness from the malt in their balancing the whole thing out. The malt is in perfect balance, not overused as to take away from this excellent hop profile, and not underused either. No alcohol taste whatsoever. Great Job Kern! I wish I could have one of these everyday!

M- Nice carbonation and velvety texture. Good weight to it

O- Great beer. Highly drinkable at 8%. Every sip leaves you wanting more. I've been spoiled in the last week with the DIPA's I've had. This and Abrasive are the top of their class.

05-26-2011 17:05:08 | More by t420o
notchucknorris

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at Toronados

A: Pours a beautiful and slightly hazy golden color with a 1/2 finger bone white head.

S: Full of fantastic citrus hop aromas. Big mango and grapefruit with some candied orange and a bit of an earthiness to it.

T: Loaded with grapefruit an grapefruit pith with a good amount of honey malt and mango to balance it out. Incredibly smooth. I could drink this forever. Another fantastic beer from Kern River.

03-07-2012 23:27:18 | More by notchucknorris
DoesntMatter46

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

05-27-2011 00:49:09 | More by DoesntMatter46
RCM505

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to choose this as my first review. 22oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a nice 2-3 fingers of cottonlike fluffy head that slowly recedes into a nice evenly distributed surface coating. A nice web of lacing on the glass as I continue to enjoy this brew.

Smell: Citrus and more citrus w/ possibly some pine.

Taste: Wow this beer is fresh as it was recently bottled. Citrus fruits being the dominant feature here. Mainly grapefruit with some traces of lemon and possibly orange. Finish is nice and piney. There is a nice hop bitterness throughout that is not too overwhelming. Nice balance here.

Mouthfeel: Moderate crisp carbonation and medium body. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

Overall: I loved this beer and I wish I traded for more than one bottle. I cannot wait to have their Citra.

01-27-2012 03:50:40 | More by RCM505
gibby

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

3 bombers received in trade with soughtbygod, thanks much Thomas.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Pours a nice bright copper color with a big soapy head. Smell is excellent, plenty of tropical notes, lots of orange peel, mango and peach scents. Very nice tasting brew, very balanced attack on the taste buds. Tends to lean more towards the citrus side of things and its very enjoyable. Excellent mouthfeel. Overall this is an excellent example of the double ipa style. Very drinkable beer with no hint of abv at all. Kern river really makes some nice ipa's and I really enjoy their beers when I am able to obtain them through trade. Highly recommended.

06-17-2011 15:57:27 | More by gibby
bierfreundlich

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A - This beer pours a hazy light-golden color, a bit like a light raw honey--unfiltered, a bit cloudy--straw colored. It has a large, 3-finger, yellowish-white head that diminishes to a much smaller, thin head over time. The head is almost describable as neon in color--as if the amount of hops used in the beer gave the head a slightly neon yellow tinge. Very beautiful and different for a double IPA.

S - The smell is incredible! It is so fresh and pure (mind you, this bottle was consumed the day it was released). The hops are so apparent but rather hard to describe. I've read that they used Falconer's Flight and Citra hops. They are citrusy and floral yet herbacious. It is reminiscent of fresh springtime floral pastures, chamomile, and other herbs. The hops are definitely the shining star in the smell, but they take on many dimensions.

T - First taste is unbelievable! So fruity, fresh and delicious! Again the taste is rather hard to pinpoint, just as the smell. But it tastes of light honey, fruitiness from the hops, maybe pine and thyme in minimal quantities. The beer is best enjoyed cold, straight from the fridge. As it warms, the alcohol peers its head above the floral/fruity sweetness.

M - It is moderately carbonated with a medium thickness in the mouth. The sweetness sort of lingers at the beginning, and then your mouth is left a little dry--tasting the bitterness of the hops more.

O - This bottle was had on the day they released the new bottles of this stuff. The release party isn't until tomorrow. I feel so lucky to live so nearby a brewery that is producing some of the most amazing IPAs and DIPAs around (and by "around," I mean the entire country). The process in which they add hops and the types of hops used are distinctly different from other breweries. I would venture to say that this is the best beer I've had from KRBC, beating their Citra DIPA. But seriously, in order to get the real experience of their beers (particularly their DIPAs)...they must be consumed fresh!

01-14-2012 09:32:00 | More by bierfreundlich
ShanePB

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle graciously sent by smarcoly and marissatheyounger, so thank you both! 22 ounce capped bottle poured into a globe glass.

A: Hazy golden-orange colored body with a thick and creamy white head. Great sticky lacing covers the walls of the glass, as well as leaving a patchy tight bubbled retention cap and ring. Gorgeous looking beer although I'd like a bit less haze.

S: Huge tropical and citrus fruits along with some slight floral hop notes. Orange, mango, pink grapefruit and peach all pour out from the glass giving this a massive aroma. The bitterness of the hops come in for some nice diversity, but it's just a massive "west coast" style Double IPA.

T: Like the nose, citrus fruits are at the forefront with more orange, pink grapefruit, mango, papaya and peach. A sharp bitterness comes in towards the back end reminding you what you're drinking and giving a really nice cut to the citrus flavors. The malts give a nice balance too.

M: Well carbonated, smooth and medium-bodied. There's nothing off about this feel, it's creamy with just the right about of bubbles.

It's hard to say if I preferred this over Citra DIPA but these are honestly neck-in-neck with each other. Both exemplify exactly what I love about "west coast" IPAs in general with their big citrusy and juicy nature. Another astonishing beer from Kern River.

03-27-2012 13:34:50 | More by ShanePB
DearthVader

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to Mike over at Glendale Whole Foods hanging on to a few bottles for me since I was out of town when this arrived.

Pours a cloudy orange that turns to a florescent straw like yellow when I hold it up to the light. A semi aggressive pour left me a beautiful two finger egg shell head. The head sat around for quite a long time and then settled to a cap that stayed fairly thick around the edges. Left gobs of sticky lacing on my Duvel Green glass. Absolutely stunning.

Quite subtle in the aroma. Definite notes of sweet malts, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel, pine, and some floral notes. You really have to get into the glass to pick these up though.

For whatever the smell lacked, the taste made up for. Absolutely flawless taste in my opinion. Upfront with the sweet tropical fruit base, followed by a nice grapefruit and citrus centered. The taste is closed out by that beautiful piney, dry, and hoppy finish. Outstanding taste to this one.

Mouthfeel is somewhat scary. I was shooting a BM to LSUPT and poured this right before I started. I realized by the time I finished my first glass which was roughly 11 oz, I wasn't even halfway done with what I was writing. Probably took me 3 minutes to finish those 11 ounces. This is insanely drinkable. I pick up no alcohol, it is lightly carbonated, and medium bodied. Spot on for the style.

I beg you, Kern River, please make this a year round offering. If not that, at least a seasonal or surprise us with bottles from time to time. This was an outstanding beer and I really hope its not a one time thing.

06-09-2011 07:16:13 | More by DearthVader
rand

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this a the brewpub during their January 14th release party, poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Orange-apricot in appearance, clear, and forms a wispy, fluffy head that never fully recedes. One of the "cleanest" DIPA's I've seen.

S: The brew gives off a big bouquet of wet floral hops and citrus notes, rind-like. Honey-sweet malts are right behind, joined by a touch of booze. The entire bouquet is enveloped in a freshly baked pastry overtone. Really clean and fresh.

T: The sharp, floral hops rush to the front of the palate, which are surprisingly vibrant and bitter. The citrus aspects remind of grapefruit and lemon zest, and are nicely matched by lightly sweet honey-malts. The 8% alcohol is nicely masked, although the fresh bitter hops carry through the sip a little more than other Kern River IPA's, giving the brew a relatively vinous aspect. They also join the malty notes to dry and give the brew a cracker-like bite. Still, the finish is a perfect balance of bitter and sweet, with little lingering aftertaste.

M: Medium-to-light bodied, and with the ample carbonation, the brew seems to bounce off the palate. I don't like overusing adjectives, but everything about this beer is "clean".

I had to really think about whether I liked this beer more than Citra, until I had them back to back, and the nod goes to Citra. But still, Kern River is putting out some of the best West Coast style IPA's in the business.

03-05-2012 07:20:04 | More by rand
LSUPT

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Another great CA IPA and big want from Brian.
Bomber to Duvel Green Tulip
I was a bit aggressive with the pour and got a nice 3 finger eggshell white head that gradually dissipated leaving some random lacing. A wonderful, deep straw yellow-orange body through which you can just barely see when held to light.

Smell is nice, maybe milder than when closer to the bottle date but still good, pine, caramel, grapefruit and pineapple all present, very sweet smelling as well.

Taste is phenomenal. Pine up front, fruity and floral in the middle and a lingering grapefruit bitterness. Mango, pineapple, orange peel and the kind of complexity of flavor that you love to see in a DIPA, and very drinkable, hard to notice any alcohol.

Mouthfeel is solid, on the low end carbonation wise, but I like that in this style.

The best DIPA I have reviewed to date and up there with the best I have tried period. This beer was a real treat, and definitely one that they should brew again.

06-09-2011 05:41:06 | More by LSUPT
n2185

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a clear golden-yellow with a finger of white head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: loads of citrus here. Oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit dominate with notes of pineapple. There is some honey sweetness toward the end.

T: grapefruit and orange dominate the flavor with earthy pine flavors. Lightly bitter with just a hint of alcohol presence. Delicious.

M: medium body and carbonation, this beer is nicely carbonated and avoids being too sticky or watery.

O: a great DIPA overall. Delicious and aromatic. Fantastic.

01-17-2013 01:49:33 | More by n2185
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

golden amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top of it,

a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip.

07-22-2011 02:01:07 | More by mikesgroove