Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale - Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary AleWinter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: soughtbygod on 05-14-2011

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger white head that recedes rather quick and leaves some pretty nice lacing. Beer is golden in color

S- The hops are definitely the showcase here. This smells excellent. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had the joy of smelling. Citrus, pine, slight sweetness. Very fresh hop smell.

T- Slight bitterness upfront is greeted by almost like a candied hop taste in the middle and finishes slightly bitter in the end. What a great beer! There are hints of pine, tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, and a little sweetness from the malt in their balancing the whole thing out. The malt is in perfect balance, not overused as to take away from this excellent hop profile, and not underused either. No alcohol taste whatsoever. Great Job Kern! I wish I could have one of these everyday!

M- Nice carbonation and velvety texture. Good weight to it

O- Great beer. Highly drinkable at 8%. Every sip leaves you wanting more. I've been spoiled in the last week with the DIPA's I've had. This and Abrasive are the top of their class.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle graciously sent by smarcoly and marissatheyounger, so thank you both! 22 ounce capped bottle poured into a globe glass.

A: Hazy golden-orange colored body with a thick and creamy white head. Great sticky lacing covers the walls of the glass, as well as leaving a patchy tight bubbled retention cap and ring. Gorgeous looking beer although I'd like a bit less haze.

S: Huge tropical and citrus fruits along with some slight floral hop notes. Orange, mango, pink grapefruit and peach all pour out from the glass giving this a massive aroma. The bitterness of the hops come in for some nice diversity, but it's just a massive "west coast" style Double IPA.

T: Like the nose, citrus fruits are at the forefront with more orange, pink grapefruit, mango, papaya and peach. A sharp bitterness comes in towards the back end reminding you what you're drinking and giving a really nice cut to the citrus flavors. The malts give a nice balance too.

M: Well carbonated, smooth and medium-bodied. There's nothing off about this feel, it's creamy with just the right about of bubbles.

It's hard to say if I preferred this over Citra DIPA but these are honestly neck-in-neck with each other. Both exemplify exactly what I love about "west coast" IPAs in general with their big citrusy and juicy nature. Another astonishing beer from Kern River.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

A - This beer pours a hazy light-golden color, a bit like a light raw honey--unfiltered, a bit cloudy--straw colored. It has a large, 3-finger, yellowish-white head that diminishes to a much smaller, thin head over time. The head is almost describable as neon in color--as if the amount of hops used in the beer gave the head a slightly neon yellow tinge. Very beautiful and different for a double IPA.

S - The smell is incredible! It is so fresh and pure (mind you, this bottle was consumed the day it was released). The hops are so apparent but rather hard to describe. I've read that they used Falconer's Flight and Citra hops. They are citrusy and floral yet herbacious. It is reminiscent of fresh springtime floral pastures, chamomile, and other herbs. The hops are definitely the shining star in the smell, but they take on many dimensions.

T - First taste is unbelievable! So fruity, fresh and delicious! Again the taste is rather hard to pinpoint, just as the smell. But it tastes of light honey, fruitiness from the hops, maybe pine and thyme in minimal quantities. The beer is best enjoyed cold, straight from the fridge. As it warms, the alcohol peers its head above the floral/fruity sweetness.

M - It is moderately carbonated with a medium thickness in the mouth. The sweetness sort of lingers at the beginning, and then your mouth is left a little dry--tasting the bitterness of the hops more.

O - This bottle was had on the day they released the new bottles of this stuff. The release party isn't until tomorrow. I feel so lucky to live so nearby a brewery that is producing some of the most amazing IPAs and DIPAs around (and by "around," I mean the entire country). The process in which they add hops and the types of hops used are distinctly different from other breweries. I would venture to say that this is the best beer I've had from KRBC, beating their Citra DIPA. But seriously, in order to get the real experience of their beers (particularly their DIPAs)...they must be consumed fresh!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this a the brewpub during their January 14th release party, poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Orange-apricot in appearance, clear, and forms a wispy, fluffy head that never fully recedes. One of the "cleanest" DIPA's I've seen.

S: The brew gives off a big bouquet of wet floral hops and citrus notes, rind-like. Honey-sweet malts are right behind, joined by a touch of booze. The entire bouquet is enveloped in a freshly baked pastry overtone. Really clean and fresh.

T: The sharp, floral hops rush to the front of the palate, which are surprisingly vibrant and bitter. The citrus aspects remind of grapefruit and lemon zest, and are nicely matched by lightly sweet honey-malts. The 8% alcohol is nicely masked, although the fresh bitter hops carry through the sip a little more than other Kern River IPA's, giving the brew a relatively vinous aspect. They also join the malty notes to dry and give the brew a cracker-like bite. Still, the finish is a perfect balance of bitter and sweet, with little lingering aftertaste.

M: Medium-to-light bodied, and with the ample carbonation, the brew seems to bounce off the palate. I don't like overusing adjectives, but everything about this beer is "clean".

I had to really think about whether I liked this beer more than Citra, until I had them back to back, and the nod goes to Citra. But still, Kern River is putting out some of the best West Coast style IPA's in the business.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to choose this as my first review. 22oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a nice 2-3 fingers of cottonlike fluffy head that slowly recedes into a nice evenly distributed surface coating. A nice web of lacing on the glass as I continue to enjoy this brew.

Smell: Citrus and more citrus w/ possibly some pine.

Taste: Wow this beer is fresh as it was recently bottled. Citrus fruits being the dominant feature here. Mainly grapefruit with some traces of lemon and possibly orange. Finish is nice and piney. There is a nice hop bitterness throughout that is not too overwhelming. Nice balance here.

Mouthfeel: Moderate crisp carbonation and medium body. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

Overall: I loved this beer and I wish I traded for more than one bottle. I cannot wait to have their Citra.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

3 bombers received in trade with soughtbygod, thanks much Thomas.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Pours a nice bright copper color with a big soapy head. Smell is excellent, plenty of tropical notes, lots of orange peel, mango and peach scents. Very nice tasting brew, very balanced attack on the taste buds. Tends to lean more towards the citrus side of things and its very enjoyable. Excellent mouthfeel. Overall this is an excellent example of the double ipa style. Very drinkable beer with no hint of abv at all. Kern river really makes some nice ipa's and I really enjoy their beers when I am able to obtain them through trade. Highly recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a clear golden-yellow with a finger of white head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: loads of citrus here. Oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit dominate with notes of pineapple. There is some honey sweetness toward the end.

T: grapefruit and orange dominate the flavor with earthy pine flavors. Lightly bitter with just a hint of alcohol presence. Delicious.

M: medium body and carbonation, this beer is nicely carbonated and avoids being too sticky or watery.

O: a great DIPA overall. Delicious and aromatic. Fantastic.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

golden amber color being presented to me right away. There was some haze and cloudiness to it, There was a nice three finger high head of white foam that capped the top of it,

a barrage of citrus hops right off the top. Nice bready and sugary tones were out first, but then quickly replaced by a piney hop sensation, which itself was replaced in turn by a slightly more acidic grapefruit like aroma. Very floral, I was really liking what I was seeing here. floral hops almost all at once. Nice rich pine flavors coming into play, but nothing really becoming detrimental to my palate here, this was remarkably well blended. Nice orange like hints working through with hints of grass and grain all around them. A strong finish capped it off with more then adequate drying and a sticky pine like flavor that lasted well into the net sip.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3/2/2012

I've had two more batches of this beer and it's awesome. I think I had just gotten over a cold when I initially reviewed it and that most likely affected my senses. Huge tropical aroma with a delicious juicy flavor. Really a stellar Double IPA. Light malt body but with just enough sweetness to fend off palate obliteration. Fantastic. Changing this from a 4.0 to a 4.6.

5/28/2011

When I heard that Kern River was releasing a beer for their fifth anniversary I was interested. When I heard they'd be doing a Double IPA specifically, my reaction was "I'd like to try that." So here I find myself at my desk typing this review, with a Lost Abbey snifter full of Kern River's Fifth Anniversary Double IPA, and now I'm thinking "this beer is far too cold, I wish I'd taken it out of the refrigerator twenty minutes ago because now I want to drink it. I should have timed this better." These are the idle musings of a man about to imbibe a fine beverage while waiting for dinner to be ready.

A: The beer is a burnished dark orange in the snifter. It's neither opaque nor transparent, but it's hazy enough to distort the scenery behind it. Perhaps it's some sort of chill haze, but I can't say for certain that I know what that means. The massive white head is bubbly and exhibits great retention. Hey, not bad. It invites me to take a drink.

S: Orange flesh, tangerine, melon, and stone fruit. Restrained tropical notes, mostly mango. Not exceptionally aromatic, but still pretty nice. No evident alcohol. Lightly sweet, but I can't pinpoint distinct malt aromas.

T: An abundance of hop flavor with a lower moderate level of bitterness. The hops are reminiscent of orange flesh, peach, mango, tangerine, and grapefruit. There's a hint of pine. Malt is subdued but it's there, though I can't pick out any distinct flavor that it imparts. On the whole, this is pretty mellow and enjoyable. Alcohol is well hidden. Very tame for a Double IPA.

M: Smooth and sticky. Lower medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed this. It's not going to blow you away, but it's enjoyable and well made. Though, it's very mellow and at only 7% I'm not sure why they called this a Double IPA. It doesn't really do the beer credit. I think this probably deserve a 4.25 in a couple areas, but that's not an option.

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale from Kern River Brewing Company