Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale - Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary AleWinter Ale (2012) / 5th Anniversary Ale

Kern River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: soughtbygod on 05-14-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
DearthVader

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to Mike over at Glendale Whole Foods hanging on to a few bottles for me since I was out of town when this arrived.

Pours a cloudy orange that turns to a florescent straw like yellow when I hold it up to the light. A semi aggressive pour left me a beautiful two finger egg shell head. The head sat around for quite a long time and then settled to a cap that stayed fairly thick around the edges. Left gobs of sticky lacing on my Duvel Green glass. Absolutely stunning.

Quite subtle in the aroma. Definite notes of sweet malts, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel, pine, and some floral notes. You really have to get into the glass to pick these up though.

For whatever the smell lacked, the taste made up for. Absolutely flawless taste in my opinion. Upfront with the sweet tropical fruit base, followed by a nice grapefruit and citrus centered. The taste is closed out by that beautiful piney, dry, and hoppy finish. Outstanding taste to this one.

Mouthfeel is somewhat scary. I was shooting a BM to LSUPT and poured this right before I started. I realized by the time I finished my first glass which was roughly 11 oz, I wasn't even halfway done with what I was writing. Probably took me 3 minutes to finish those 11 ounces. This is insanely drinkable. I pick up no alcohol, it is lightly carbonated, and medium bodied. Spot on for the style.

I beg you, Kern River, please make this a year round offering. If not that, at least a seasonal or surprise us with bottles from time to time. This was an outstanding beer and I really hope its not a one time thing.

06-09-2011 07:16:13 | More by DearthVader
LSUPT

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Another great CA IPA and big want from Brian.
Bomber to Duvel Green Tulip
I was a bit aggressive with the pour and got a nice 3 finger eggshell white head that gradually dissipated leaving some random lacing. A wonderful, deep straw yellow-orange body through which you can just barely see when held to light.

Smell is nice, maybe milder than when closer to the bottle date but still good, pine, caramel, grapefruit and pineapple all present, very sweet smelling as well.

Taste is phenomenal. Pine up front, fruity and floral in the middle and a lingering grapefruit bitterness. Mango, pineapple, orange peel and the kind of complexity of flavor that you love to see in a DIPA, and very drinkable, hard to notice any alcohol.

Mouthfeel is solid, on the low end carbonation wise, but I like that in this style.

The best DIPA I have reviewed to date and up there with the best I have tried period. This beer was a real treat, and definitely one that they should brew again.

06-09-2011 05:41:06 | More by LSUPT
beagle75

Iowa

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Intensely hoppy, featuring lush tropical fruit, pine, and mixed citrus. Substantial caramel malt is also present, completing the excellent smell.

T: Begins off-dry, with layered hop aromatics consisting of early citrus that transitions through tropical fruit. While the citrus flavors tend slightly toward the darker, they retain a sense of balance with the brighter elements not being trod upon too much. The later tropical fruit, which combine with distinctly peach-like esters, becomes pungent, encompassing the entire palate. Sweetness also peaks late, further accentuating the juicy, over-ripe stone fruit flavors. Both acidity and bitterness are kept restrained, with the former peaking early then vanishing, and the latter lingering harmoniously in the finish. Malt never steps to the fore, although a thread of refined toasted grain tries to evade detection throughout.

M: Medium viscosity, sticky and slightly syrupy on the palate showing an early acid bite followed by slow heat, with low carbonation.

D/O: With its blue-ribbon smell, this DIPA from Kern River further establishes the brewer as one of the top-tier hop-handlers in the state of California. It is worthy of mention alongside the beers of Russian River and Alpine because of the intensity of hops and other qualities that serve subordinately in the shadows of the hops. Flavors tend to get hung up on the peach-centric middle; while appealing, its complexity seems constrained somewhat by this quality. It remains a compellingly consumable member of its style, with minimal wear on the palate that is aided by the relatively low abv. It has been much more enjoyable than last year's Belgian pale anniversary ale.

06-08-2011 15:25:37 | More by beagle75
Sebowski

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Looks great. Thick full head. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.
Smells fantastic. Fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit.... (What? Grapefruit is a citrus?) Very inviting.
Tastes super fresh. Front is all fresh chewy floral hops. Finish is a good strong bitterness. Really wonderful. Going down way too easy.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Luscious enough to coat the cheeks with hoppiness and dry out with a good West Coast bitterness.
I can't believe how fast I crushed this bomber. Leaves me longing for more.

06-05-2011 05:59:26 | More by Sebowski
PeprSprYoFace

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a hazy orange almost hay color. Very nice sticky white head with tons of lacing.

Aroma is so hoppy citrus. Not the most aromatic I've had but very nice. Slight sweet aroma.

Taste is amazing. One of the best I've had and the best I've had is heady topper. Smooth dry and slightly sweet in the finish but with a super nice hop taste that is citrucy and a bit piny. I'm gunna need to find more of this before I can't any more.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a slight maltyness. Has that distinct hoppy beer mouthfeel that I love.

Another great IPA from Kern River. Still need to try Citra but Just Outstanding is good. Get it and try it. You won't be disappointed.

06-05-2011 05:47:10 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Sideswipe

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

I've been looking for this one for awhile without success so I was pretty happy to run across it by chance at my local bottle shop.

Bomber into my Hangar 24 snifter.

The beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with a couple of fingers of white foam. Nice lacing. The aroma hits me while I'm still pouring. A wave of citrusy, piney aroma graces my nostrils. This smells very good. Taste mirrors the nose. Big notes of grapefruit and orange with a piney bitterness that lingers on the palate. There's enough malt presence to keep things somewhat in check, but the emphasis here is clearly on the hop bill. The beer finishes bitter and dry, which I like in an IPA. Mouthfeel is medium with enough carbonation to lend a slight creaminess to the beer. Overall this is another solid offering from Kern River. It's darned good and I'd certainly have it again.

Note: I can't find an ABV percentage noted on the label and I'm wondering about the DIPA designation due to the 7% rating listed on BA. Curious...

06-03-2011 05:37:08 | More by Sideswipe
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Tulip glass.

Pours a light amber gold with three and a half fingers of white foam, nice tiny bubbles. Good lacing. Smells of citrus and tropical fruit (mango, fresh pineapple rind). Taste is similar, with a moderately bitter finish. Carbonation is too light, and so this lacks any crispness or bite. Something about the body lacks heft; maybe it's the absence of malt? In any case, this is pretty tasty, but the lack of carbonation takes away from my enjoyment.

06-03-2011 04:52:37 | More by pmarlowe
Overlord

Pours a light golden orange. Big white frothy foam head.

Smells overwhelmingly of bittering, pungent, almost floral/overwhelming grapefruit rind with a smidgen of generalized citrus and a hint of pine.

Taste is a blistering assault of pure grapefruit rind ... really no lush tropical or fruit flavors to found, just straight-forward bitter citrus with some pine. No malt content, at all. Kind of disappointed in that, as this beer needs some balance. If you're going to be this hop forward, at least a bit of complexity to the hops would be nice.

Okay. Drinkable.

06-01-2011 00:34:38 | More by Overlord
womencantsail

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle consumed at the brewpub because they didn't have anymore on draft.

A: The pour is a nice golden amber color with a rather large, fluffy whot head. Lots of sticky lacing to go with it.

S: Intense nose of pine, grapefruit, tangerine, and orange peels. Almost no malt character to it at all. There is a nice floral quality to it as well. Perhaps even a bit of perfume.

T: The bitterness almost dominates the flavor. There is a nice grapefruit flavor to it and plenty of pine, too. A decent enough citrus character and a light floral note.

M: Medium in body with a medium to high carbonation and a lingering bitterness.

O: This was slightly disappointing. It was certainly good, but it didn't blow me away.

05-30-2011 17:46:00 | More by womencantsail
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev +2%

3/2/2012

I've had two more batches of this beer and it's awesome. I think I had just gotten over a cold when I initially reviewed it and that most likely affected my senses. Huge tropical aroma with a delicious juicy flavor. Really a stellar Double IPA. Light malt body but with just enough sweetness to fend off palate obliteration. Fantastic. Changing this from a 4.0 to a 4.6.

5/28/2011

When I heard that Kern River was releasing a beer for their fifth anniversary I was interested. When I heard they'd be doing a Double IPA specifically, my reaction was "I'd like to try that." So here I find myself at my desk typing this review, with a Lost Abbey snifter full of Kern River's Fifth Anniversary Double IPA, and now I'm thinking "this beer is far too cold, I wish I'd taken it out of the refrigerator twenty minutes ago because now I want to drink it. I should have timed this better." These are the idle musings of a man about to imbibe a fine beverage while waiting for dinner to be ready.

A: The beer is a burnished dark orange in the snifter. It's neither opaque nor transparent, but it's hazy enough to distort the scenery behind it. Perhaps it's some sort of chill haze, but I can't say for certain that I know what that means. The massive white head is bubbly and exhibits great retention. Hey, not bad. It invites me to take a drink.

S: Orange flesh, tangerine, melon, and stone fruit. Restrained tropical notes, mostly mango. Not exceptionally aromatic, but still pretty nice. No evident alcohol. Lightly sweet, but I can't pinpoint distinct malt aromas.

T: An abundance of hop flavor with a lower moderate level of bitterness. The hops are reminiscent of orange flesh, peach, mango, tangerine, and grapefruit. There's a hint of pine. Malt is subdued but it's there, though I can't pick out any distinct flavor that it imparts. On the whole, this is pretty mellow and enjoyable. Alcohol is well hidden. Very tame for a Double IPA.

M: Smooth and sticky. Lower medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed this. It's not going to blow you away, but it's enjoyable and well made. Though, it's very mellow and at only 7% I'm not sure why they called this a Double IPA. It doesn't really do the beer credit. I think this probably deserve a 4.25 in a couple areas, but that's not an option.

05-29-2011 03:02:45 | More by HopHead84
flannelman808

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

First off this particular batch I believe to be 8% not 7% abv as listed.

A: Pours a pale coppery yellow hue with the orange copper around the rim. Just a little bit of haze in the color. A powerful just off white sea foam head forms and fizzles down to just above the top of the liquid. Serious spiderwebs of lace are left behind.

S: Grapefruit zest and tangerine with just hints of pine and white peach. Smells fantastic.

T: Pale malt and bitter citrus meet. Hard to follow up that aroma, but the flavors are pretty good too. Soft Red and Yellow fruity notes as well as tongue numbing bitterness on the tongue is a welcomed effect. Light to medium body.

M: Tongue numbing, but a bit watery.

O: Quite good and reasonably priced. Absolutely worth $6.99 a bottle!

05-27-2011 23:25:17 | More by flannelman808
snpub540

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Picked this up today because I love Just Outstanding so I knew they would be doing great things with their anniversary brew.

Poured a nice slightly hazy copper hue with a tight one finger head that left some nice sheets of lace on my Duvel tulip.

Aroma was super potent with pineapple, peach, mango aromas all being present as well as a grassy hop aroma present in the back.

Taste was totally a tropical fruit hop medley. Mango, papaya, and pineapple round out the hoppy flavors while a nice caramel malt backbone even things out.

There is no harshness from either hops or alcohol and this is the perfect summer beer. Kern River continues to crank out awesome beers from a small space and I will continue to buy everything they put out.

05-27-2011 23:20:10 | More by snpub540
DoesntMatter46

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

05-27-2011 00:49:09 | More by DoesntMatter46
t420o

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger white head that recedes rather quick and leaves some pretty nice lacing. Beer is golden in color

S- The hops are definitely the showcase here. This smells excellent. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had the joy of smelling. Citrus, pine, slight sweetness. Very fresh hop smell.

T- Slight bitterness upfront is greeted by almost like a candied hop taste in the middle and finishes slightly bitter in the end. What a great beer! There are hints of pine, tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, and a little sweetness from the malt in their balancing the whole thing out. The malt is in perfect balance, not overused as to take away from this excellent hop profile, and not underused either. No alcohol taste whatsoever. Great Job Kern! I wish I could have one of these everyday!

M- Nice carbonation and velvety texture. Good weight to it

O- Great beer. Highly drinkable at 8%. Every sip leaves you wanting more. I've been spoiled in the last week with the DIPA's I've had. This and Abrasive are the top of their class.

05-26-2011 17:05:08 | More by t420o
slayer3604

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

All around one of the best DIPA's I've had the honor of putting in my mouff...

A)Peachy gold, with a nice head, good lacing, and retention like a mofo...

S) Citric fruit, sweet almost candy-like malt, and an all-around balance that surpasses the bitter in-your-face hop bomb DIPA's on the market right now.

T- Crisp, fruity, sweet, and hoppy. Wow, there is a lot going on, but it is not overwelming whatsoever. Hides the alcohol very well, and doesn't sacrifice any body!

M- Exceptional balance, and a clean lasting finish. Lemme stress clean...clean...Mr. Clean...

O- Very good DIPA. Can't put my finger on a single thing I'd change on it :D.

Cheers, Kern!

05-26-2011 02:41:35 | More by slayer3604
Halcyondays

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a translucent orange with a firm two finger white head. Great lacing and head retention.

S: Nice tropicality, mango and pineapple. Tangerine and sweet orange. Very West Coast, the hops dominate.

T: Sweet pink grapefruit and mangoes, with some light malt character. Bitter melon rind on the back end, fresh and vibrant flavour.

M: Creamy and resiny, soft carbonation, not the longest aftertaste, but it's certainly fruitier than most DIPAs.

O: Kern River knows how to make good IPAs, first JO, then Citra, now this. Cheaper than most in it's style and better tasting than most in it's style, an easy pickup.

05-24-2011 02:58:20 | More by Halcyondays
noahfree

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to Rick at Old Town Liqour for stocking some great IPAs. Picked this up the other night and was down right impressed with it and felt it needed to be reviewed. An inch of head on an agressive pour into my Stone pint glass. Color is pretty much what you would expect from a DIPA. Smell of mango, pine and a little sweet butterscotch. Mouthfeel is amazing and the taste is ... Well its outstanding! Think of this beer like Port Brewery's Mongo meets Firestone's Double Jack. Easily competes with Pliny in my book, cant taste the alcohol and at 8% thats dangerous. I picked up 2 more bombers today cause I know they wont last long. Highly recommended!

05-23-2011 20:08:22 | More by noahfree
soughtbygod

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This is an amazing beer. It was just released yesterday. And it is by far one of the best DIPA's that I have ever had. It had a thick frothy slight off white foam that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves real nice lacing. It is Dark orange in color, and smells wonderful. It has plentiful hop character when you drink it but is nicely balance by the malt. I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover out there it is a winner.

05-14-2011 23:37:20 | More by soughtbygod