Little Scrapper IPA - Half Pints Brewing Company

Little Scrapper IPALittle Scrapper IPA

Half Pints Brewing Company visit their website
Manitoba, Canada

Beer added by: trevorwideman on 08-18-2006

To admit that the brewers at Half Pints are hopheads is an understatement. This India Pale Ale is unabashedly hoppy, with a grapefruit-like aroma due to a large addition of hops directly to the final tank (a process called “dry hopping”). A firm, toasted malt presence forms the background for all these hops lending balance so it’s not just a one note symphony.

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

My current favourite. Has sparked my interest in IPAs.

A: Nice amber hue and creamy head.

S: Sweet citrus aroma.

T: Grass hop bitterness that is strong enough for most hopheads but does not dominate. Caramel malty background that is the perfect compliment to the hops.

M: Lite carbonation with a creamy texture.

O: Can't get enough of this IPA. Has everything an IPA should have. (384 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

A limited batch of what appeared to be a Little Scrapper with an additional dry hopped fermentation transferred to cask. Not as overwhelmingly hoppy as Humulus Ludicrous but darn bitter! Fortunately I managed to get there in the nick of time for a pint.

A: Cloudy orange to amber hue with a brief head. For various reasons, mostly near end of the cask, the 'pour' didn't produce much head to report on. But a consistent lacing remained from the off-white top.

S: Grapefruit. Excellent citrusy aroma with a hint of pine. One of those smells that makes a hop head tingle in the gullet.

T: Flavor was the most distinct similarity to little scrapper, but still had additional bittering qualities of grass and fruit with a heavy malty character in the nose.

M: Front to back, the bitter resins from the lupulin washed over and left a lasting impression in the pockets of the mouth. Despite the lack of carbonation, the tongue had plenty to play with.

D: A great IPA. The humulus is tough to go back to back with, this double dry hopped ale was neither overpowering or singular in quality making seconds an easy decision. If made a seasonal, I would queue up. (1,161 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

I rarely double review beers with different servings, but I had this on tap last night and it was so much better than the bottled version I had reviewed that I had to re-review...

20 oz pour into a sleeve at Original Joe's in Winnipeg

A: Clear amber body, with a head that retained through the whole drink (~20 minutes) and left scads of beautiful lacing all over the glass.

S: A nice balance between some bready malts and some citrus aromas courtesy of the cascade hops (I think). The aroma is strong, yet not overpowering.

T/M: A body that has a bready depth to it that comes off almost as toast with a solid bitterness that balances beautifully. The hops lend citrus flavours in the beer, though they are understated when compared to the malt backbone.

D: The key word here is balanced... It was sublime. I haven't had a beer like this in quite a while, and perhaps that a function of me leaving hoppy beers alone for a month so I can appreciate a 'mere' 50 IBUs... Stellar. Just enough 'West Coast' influences to be loved by my palate... (1,047 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

Imagine, beer from Winnipeg! Thats what I thought untill i tried beer from this brewery!

Pours a wonderfully dense amber with a slight hazyness ( think they must use a touch of wheat malt) with some yeast sediment.

Smell is fantastic: Hops. Bread. Caramell. Amazing.

Taste: Just like the smell but 10x. I was shocked by the complexity in the hoppy character as well as the dense caramel that seems to tickle your taste buds.

A short review, but honestly, one of my favorite IPA's now. Along with 90min IPA and the Souther Tier IPA.

I recently learned that there is no wheat used! But I'll keep my review as is! (619 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours a hazy orange with a one finger head that leaves a nice cap and nice lacing that continues until you're finished.

S: It has a nice hoppy aroma. I get a lot of pine needle and citrus scents.

T: Similar to the smell I get a nice hop taste of pine needles and citrus. A nice malty, dry and mild bitter finish to it

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation that suits this beer perfectly.

D: This is a really good session IPA and is a good warm up for Half Pints Humulus Ludicrous. I've never been disappointed with Half Pints. (536 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle from the brewery.

A - Tight one finger head with big bubbles that go away fast but leave a nice cap. Darkish golden colour with low carbonation.

S - Really juicy hops. Lot's of citrus. Not a particularily strong aroma but really really inviting.

T - Citrus hops balanced really well with malts. Flavour hangs out for a long time. Bitterness is noticeable but not overpowering. Flavours linger really nicely. Delicious beer.

M - Light to medium body is nice for the style. Carbonation is there but works well with the beer and doesn't offend.

D - It's a shame I only got a 6 pack and we can't get it in Ontario because this would be my go to IPA. I could drink this all day. (685 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

A very good IPA and true to style. Not a big, hoppy surprise but very approachable and something I'd pour for someone interested in a more "hopped up brew" but not something "so bitter I need a can of Coke to counter the pain". The fact that it's brewed in what is often hailed as one of Canada's worst cities, it sure does impress me. I'd love to try it on tap some time. (372 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Dated: N/A
From: Chris (wordemupg), 341ml

A: Hazy copper body with one inch of fluffy white head. Head dissipates rather quickly into a thin ring, but leaves nice lacing.

S: Fair amount of pine mixed in with some bready notes and some citrus at the back.

T: Much like the aroma, loads of pine and bready malts. Citrus notes are subtle.

M: Medium-light bodied with medium-high carbonation. Creamy texture is given off with a nice malty finish.

D: This beer tastes damn good! Nice balance between two styles of IPA's. Hoppy and malty, easy to drink and no sense of alcohol. Thanks again to Chris, I love it. (615 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - gold-copper colour with a good 1/2-inch head. Good lacing from the heavy quantity of hops.

Smell - a very nice citrus hop aroma over top of a nice malt foundation.

Taste - this is a good beer. Rich and malty, very hoppy but smooth. Tonnes of flavour but finishes fairly crisp.

Moutheel - smooth and tasty. Some oily after-effects from the richness of the hops.

Drinkability - goes down easy. Crisp and flavourful, ideal for most situations. (500 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Enjoyed in a hotel room in Brandon, MB. Poured in to a regular glass.

A - Hazy oragne colour with a small amount of white head.

S - Nice juicy citrus hops up front with some tangerine and grapefruit notes. A nice sweet caramel malt backbone rounds this one out.

T - Some nice bitterness up front from the hops along with a nice citrus palate with the tangerine & grapefruit from the nose really coming through nicely in the palate. A nice sweet malt backbone that is noitceable but doens't overpower the nice juicy citrus hops. The finish is bitter and sweet at the same time. A very well balanced IPA.

D - One of the better IPAs I have had recently.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation. (707 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Copper color beer, it is veiled due to no filtering process involved, should be tasty. The head is sticky enough. Looks creamy too.

The aroma is citrusy with some grapefruit. It is of medium intensity. Some piny notes too in the aroma. Very inviting.

The taste is all citrus. This beer is very refreshing with some floral notes. The finish is all dry from the hops... you want more after that.

Medium body beer. It is well balanced too. An excellent introductory IPA if you ask me. I like this stuff for an every day beer. (525 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

I've drunk this on several occasions, but have yet to review it until now. Half Pints continues to produce top quality microbrews jam-packed with flavour!

A - Pours a nice thick pillowy amount of head, leaving a noticeable amount of lacing. Golden copper brown with the slightest haze.

S - Powerful citrus and pine scents. Smells absolutely delicious and possesses quite a strong scent.

T - Very bitter hop flavour off the top. Much like the scent bit of a pine and citrus, similar to the initial taste, finishes quite bitter. Prepare yourself to pucker those lips!

M - Very light on the palette, carbonation is light and bubbly and goes down quite smooth.

D - A delicious IPA, and I'd easily rank it up there with my go-to Canadian IPA (Tree's - Hop Head)! It seems to be easier to find lil' scrapper than in the past... Increased accessibility means more shelf space dedicated to it in my beer fridge! (908 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Got my brew straight from the source on a visit to the brewery. My sense of smell and taste may not be as refined as some of the previous reviewers, but I know what I like. So to keep it simple:
Appearance - clear amber colour, nice head, not too thick, pretty lacing.
Smell: Big on hops, pine or spruce (I like trees) some caramel.
Taste: Bitters right off the top, but nicely balanced. Full flavour.
M-Feel - Spikey carbonation that stays with us right to the bottom of the glass. Dry finish.
Bottom line - would I have another? Damn right, but only one or two more. That would leave me smiling. (597 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

The beer's twinkling golden tone suggests a more conservative use of malts which, for a beer presumed to be principally hoppy, is a positive sign of things to come. More reassuring yet is the extravagantly foamy head that rises to the top of the beer like cream. Its lacing slaps itself securely on to the glass and holds on tight as a bulldog.

Amarillo and Cascade - good thing they have my brands. The bouquet is a bright, pungent mess of festered tangerines, breakfast grapefruit and a satchel full of lemon zest. There is also a supplemental dose of spicy, flowery zest (courtesy of the Cascade hops). Taken together, the two varieties of hops make a double exclamation point.

This thing is like the two faces of Janus - one part of it looks towards all that is sweet, biscuity and malty while the other faces all that is bitter, pithy, dry and earthy. Biscuits and shortbread are paired with fig jam, grapefruit puree, orange glaze and some sort of pine resin reduction. It's a substantial meal and sumptuous dessert all in one.

Many brewers (especially Canadian ones) ensure their IPAs have a malty underbelly. While that's all well and good, the heavier, more viscous flavours of nutty light roast and chewy caramel can be clammy, lumbering and ill-matched to bright, citric hops. Although this has a strong supporting malty base, it does not come across the least bit disjointed.

The pithy, citric, piny bitterness of the hops is read loud and clear, uninterrupted by no malty sweetness what so ever. The malts, for their part, fill the mouth with a spongy thickness and, while they do ground the hops' biting acidity, they hinder none of that flowery, pithy, uniquely spicy character. It's a perfect compromise.

Added bonus: although it has the flavour of an 8% beer, it rings in at a relatively sessionable 6. Sessionable or not, I wouldn't have minded another bottle right now - anything with this much juicy, citric hop and sumptuous, toasty malt flavour is difficult to part from after only one glass. I intend on finding more of this stuff first chance I get. (2,083 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to Deuane for hooking me up with a 4-pack of these Half Pint brews from a recent trip.

Pours a hazy copper orange, with 2+ fingers of off-white foamy head. Retains with a big foamy dollop, that flares up into a huge frothy cascade of lace, which leaves just a HUGE latticework of sticky lacing back. The aroma is floral and piney, with a pleasant spicy earthiness to it. Citrus, caramel, and even a touch of smokey malts, tang it up in the back. Light warmth mixes in with the floral notes to give this a light fumey feel.

The bitterness in this is spicy with a sticky resinous edge to it. An earthy herbal quality that I'm really digging blends in nicely with juicy citric notes and a roasty caramel malt presence that offers some good balance. Finishes a bit sweeter and then the earthy flavors carry through with a dirty dry feel that lingers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a more bubbly and creamy feel on top, that is propped up by more oily and slick textures underneath. This is definitely very easy for the size.

Probably my favorite of the Half Pints selections that I tried, this gave me a nice earthy and herbal hop fix, at a time when I really haven't had a good one in a while. Well balanced, tasty, and very easy drinking, this was a solid IPA experience. (1,324 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

This IPA changed the way I approach this style of beer. I love the strength and balance of the hops and malt in Little Scrapper. It has great colour, lovely grapefruit notes and a clean after taste. I love beers that help shake up your perceptions, and this one did that for me when I first tried it years ago. (310 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't believe I've never reviewed this as it's one of my regulars. 341ml brown bottle with twist off cap poured in a pint glass.

Light copper to orange in colour and mostly clear but a little hazy. Light beige head is 1/2 inch on the pour and recedes to a thin cap with lots of lacing down the sides.

Nicely balanced aroma of sweet citrus fruits (grapefruit and orange) and malts (caramel and bread).

Nice hop bite right off the start. The caramel malt tries to add backbone, but winds up making a cameo appearance. Long bitter hop finish or pine and grass.

Medium bodied wth mild carbonation and a little oily.

As I mentioned, one of my regulars as there aren't many IPAs available year round and of the couple that are, this is my favourite. Definitely worth a try. (774 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy copper-orange with a nice thick white head and elegant lacing.

It starts off with a wonderful bouquet of pine needles, grapefruit and all the good stuff hops provide. I sense a nice malty undertone as well.

This is a wonderfully hopped IPA, lots of citrus and pine and finishes with a nice toasty malt backbone.

Nice thick mouthfeel and pretty drinkable. This is without a doubt one of the best Canadian IPA's I've had - but that's not saying much I suppose. I can't wait to try their other beers, if only they were more available here in Ontario! (565 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

One of the better Canadian IPAs that I've had the chance to try. They sure do brew some pretty good beers at Half Pints. This beer looks good, lots of lacing and pretty good retention. Hazy (more like a chill haze but it's not), looks a little like cider.

The nose is the only thing I find needs a little more muscle. Hops are laid back but still showing pine and citric qualities as well as a little bit of malt. Edit...the nose became much better as the beer warmed.

Tastes great, good hop bitterness, pine, grapefruit. I'm having a hard time with the malts...a little biscuit and toast I would say. I could drink this all day long. (638 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

I picked up case of this and I've enjoyed every one.

Pours a lovely opaque orange with a big poofy head that not only sticks around but is sticky at the same time. It leaves tons of lace down the glass.

The smell is full of tropical hop fruit.. pineapple, grape fruit, pine and sweeter malts underneath. And the taste lives up to the smell adding more of the hoppy fruit flavour with a nice dose of bitterness. It's a well made Canadian IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a little sticky - just the way I like it. Drinkability is good. (532 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2%

New to BC. Sweet!

Appearance. Pours a quite clear, rich yellow gold/amber with over a finger of white head.

Smell. Nice sweet citrus fruits, some lightly toasted malts and grains, just a little pine and a drop of honey.

Taste. Sweet light malts and some floral, fruity hops. Not the intense citrus of some ipas, but a nicely rounded fruityness with citrus, tropical and even some orchard fruits. Pretty low bitterness, but there is a bit in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with just below medium carbonation. Very nice.

Overall. A nice, easy drinker here. Not the tongue bruising, insanely hopped kind of IPA, but very tasty and somewhat unique among the many IPAs out there. (684 characters)

Appearance: Medium caramel colour, with thin brown head.
Smell: Hefty amount of grapefruit, with moderate pine and a strong, but pleasant caramel sweetness.
Taste: Grapefruit and pine are definitely present. Floral notes and delicious sweet caramel, like clover nectar lead up the middle and the finish is a very dry and bitter, but refreshing roastiness.
Overall: Nice flavour profile, very delicious and well-balanced. (421 characters)

Batch no.1 from our new local brewer. 660ml bottle bought at the brewery.

Poured into a Pint Glass. Brilliant amber-orange colour with a pillowy 3/4 inch head, well carbonated. Good head retention and nice lacing all the way down the glass. Serious West Coast IPA nose, earthy, with grapefruit and all manner of citrus and a toasted caramel malt backbone.

Taste is well balanced, there's a candy-like toasted sweetness that is offset well by the hops. There's lots of hefty body in this beer, and Grapefruit citrus notes predominate but don't overcome the palate. Full bodied mouthfeel and not overcarbonated, sticks to the throat nicely. A balanced and tasty brew I'm happy to say comes from my hometown. (711 characters)

appearance
golden orange in color

smell
smell of citrus hops

taste
taste of citrus hops, not overly bitter, slightly more hops than malt, but it is an ipa so a super balanced beer wasn't to be expected

mouthfeel
slightly light, but has enough density to be satisfying, for the ipa style has desireable amount of body

overall
really good beer, good ipa, I love ipa's so I might be biased, but solid 4/5 in every category, try this beer if you like ipa's (456 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Enjoyed on many occasions and was surprised to discover I hadn't done a review
A - mostly clear copper golden, thumb of head retained at a good covering leaving a consistent lace ring as it dissipated
S - earthy woody hop notes followed by mild citrus and grain
T - interesting hop mix of earthy, perfume, and citrus, dry cracker and multigrain bread malt flavours
M - medium body with big carbonation, dry and medium bitter finish
O - I have found this to be a fantasticly sessionable IPA, great hop variety and a very drinkable 6%, this will continue to be a regular 6er purchase for me (588 characters)

Little Scrapper IPA from Half Pints Brewing Company