Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

to view more.
Ratings: 1,751 | Reviews: 819
Reviews by Brewnami:
4.59/5  rDev +25.1%

This may be one of my favorite pumpkin ales right now. I always really liked this brewery so when I saw a 6 pack of this in the store I did not hesitate to spend the last of my cash on it. This brew poured a cloudy golden color with a very small head that dissipated quickly. The aroma is spicy and dominated by cinnamon, brown sugar, and malt. This brew is very flavorful compared to others of this type. There is a light carbonation which I think is perfect for this particular beer. There is also a bit of hop bitterness in the background which I don't really notice in other pumpkin ales. I would say, other than dogfish head's punkin' ale, this would be one of the most flavorful and spicy pumpkin ales I have had yet. Very good beer and very drinkable. I would recommend this beer to anyone. Good price, great beer... Thank you Smuttynose!

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on tap at the Drafting Room in Spring House,poured a medium orange/gold color with a light but sticky head,aroma was strong of cinnamon and nutmeg just like opening a jar of cinnamon.The taste was not so over the top a more subtle pumpkin flavor with the spices also being more subdued a light hop bitternes lingers pretty well.I think a real nice pumpkin offering here.

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

Drinking this out of the bottle. Main smell here is earthy with subtle pumpkin and spice. Take one sip of this beer and my mouth is attacked by bitterness. not something i expect from a pumpkin ale. After having Pumpking a few days ago this brew tasted like i was drinking battery acid. I immediately thought i bought a bad batch but the Best before date was Dec 2011. Seems like this beer tries to be a pumpkin ale and an IPA but doesnt get either right. If i want a piney, hoppy bitter I'll reach for an IPA. Im surprised by the high grade this beer received but to each their own.

Beer review from BA Mag Oct 2007.

Smuttynose brews their pumpkin ale with "real" pumpkin puree and does not list it as a mystery "natural flavor" like some of the bigger brewers. As we've mentioned, brewing with pumpkins is not a new fad. Brewers back in the colonial days brewed with pumpkins as well as other ingredients due to the high price of imported malt.

Hey everyone, we have another epic head here. We see this just as much as a blue moon on Monday. The crown of lace that clings to the glass is absolutely amazing. Bright and clear and orangey in color. Big sniff of powdery allspice with cinnamon being the dominant spice. Toasted malt and a hint of fruity yeast in the back of the nose. More than enough hop bitterness to go around with an earthy herbal flavor, both never go overboard. Toasted malt is the next layer with a dried grass flavor, spicing drops a mingling of nutmeg and cinnamon while the subtle pumpkin flavor rides up against a warming and very mild estery alcohol. Finishes with a hop note of herbs and bitterness, spice and a drying grain.

This is a beer drinker's beer when it comes to pumpkin ales. The flavor profiles are brimming with simple complexities from the spice, hops and pumpkin and just enough malt to hold the foundation of this beer together. So flavorful it would overshadow a plain turkey dinner.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

Oh yum. Truly, truly an impressive Pumpkin ale. This definitely gives Dogfish Head's "Punkin" a run for their money.

I picked this up at a beer bar (Max's on Broadway - Fells Point, Baltimore) but luckily they provided me with a pint glass, so I got to unleash it.

Beautiful deep orange color. Ahh, the scent! The full, bursting flavor! A wonderful amalgamation of fall spices and roasted pumpkin. Fills you up, mind body & soul.

Excellent drinkability. I would purchase another. Or a 6 pack. Or a case. You know what you want when you crack a Pumpkin ale, and Smuttynose delivers.

2.79/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Was disappointed in this Pumpkin Ale. More notes of cinnamon than pumpkin. Finish is def more bitter than I was expecting. Having had Pumking before this brew the bar was set pretty high. Will enjoy the remainder of the 6 pack but wont be buying this again.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had this in a recent beer tasting dinner. This went well with the appetizer of ham croquettes and bitterballen. The beer was a dark amber with a medium white head. Aroma was pumpkin pie spice and grain. The pumpkin came through in the taste, as did the (mostly cinnamon) spice. A pleasant enough beer, I just wouldn't want to make a steady diet of it.

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a sightly cloudy pumpkin-orange color with a tan head and spotty lacing.
Very nice aroma on this beer. Lots of pumpkin, clove and cinnamon.
A tatsy pumkin ale for sure. I get cinnamon up front with plenty of pumpkin right behind. It finishes with a nice hoppy bitterness and a very pleasant pumpkin aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is medium and smooth.
Overall, one of the better pumpkin beers I've had.

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 edition. Deep orange amber with a cream colored head that dissipates rather rapidly. The aroma is like what those New England backroad converted barn country stores smell like - all warm and spicy (emphasis on cloves and nutmeg, maybe a cinnamon broom in there somewhere) - mixed with some toasty malt. Very enticing.

Starts with a bitter spice note on the tongue - ever lick a nutmeg or a clove? - then the pumpkin comes in. Amazing - a pumpkin ale where you can actually taste the pumpkin! then the toasty malt comes in along with a hop bitterness (distinct from the spiciness at the beginning). Finishes magnificently - drink a Shoals Pale Ale after a big old forkful of pumpkin pie and get the same effect. Hops, malt, pumpkin, spice... What I really like about this beer is how the spices, pumpkin fruit, and malt/hops all play nice together. The mouthfeel is a slight bit fizzy but otherwise in character. Couldn't drink a lot of them now, but that may change when the temperature drops a few degrees.

Consistently one of my favorite fall seasonals.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle date reads "Best Before Feb 10" and it was sampled on 9-12-2009.

Appearance: The body has a deep orange amber color with a cloudy look. The pour produces a one finger thick white cap of foam. It slowly fades down to just a very thin layer of bubbles that makes a little slice lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a spicy, vegetable/squash like bouquet with some light toasted malt notes as well.

Taste/Palate: Up front there are solid spice flavors of cinnamon, allspice and clove with some roasted pumpkin and toasted malt underneath. The finish sees a good balance of flavor as the spicy hops creeps in and adds some nice bitterness to the mix. The palate has a solid medium body with average carbonation and a mellow drinkable texture.

Notes: This was a very solid Pumpkin Ale with good pumpkin flavor and spice balance.

2.14/5  rDev -41.7%

My review is short, but not to sweet. Smuttynose dares to be different. I don't understand what would make them think strong bitter hop flavor is good for a pumpkin beer. The nutmeg and cinnamon were almost non existent, and it is extremely bitter throughout with a very nasty aftertaste left from that.

Since I had it at fridge temp at first I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought the pumpkin and spice flavor would show more as it got closer to room temp but I was wrong, it stayed non existent. It drives me nuts because I like smuttynose and love a good pumpkin beer, but this gave them and the pumpkin category a bad name.

Because I had high expectations and they were immediately shot down this quickly turned into one of my least favorite beers I've had.

Okay, well, it's October and Halloween is a few days away and, well, it's pumpkin season adnd all that other stuff...and Smuttynose is probably my favorite brewery on the East Coast. Sooo, I bought a sixer of this pumpkin ale to go along with my girlfriend and I's stuffed pumpkin dinner. I have to admit, first off, that I am not a huge pumpkin fan. Nor am I a fan of any of the alleged "autumn spices", especially in beer. So, here goes nothing!

Poured a hazy golden orange with a great creamy head that stuck around for the long haul. Decent lacing to be noted as well.

Smelled of ridiculous amounts of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar, and all them other spices that go along with autumn. Smelled like sweet pumpkin pie.

Taste is HUGE on nutmeg and cinnamon. Ends a bit hoppy but is overridden by the nutmeg, cinamon, pumpkin, and all the other spices to be found in this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated, but not overly done.

Drinkabilty is hugely subjective when it comes to this brew. Not that it isn't any other time, but with this beer, you probably need more than just an affinity for beer. You need a pre-positive disposition towards pumpkin pie and the autumn spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. I can see someone who is into all them kind of flavors to really enjoy this beer, but I just cannot get into it at all. I have a hard time finishing just a single 12oz. serving.

I have to admit, I shouldn't even be reviewing this beer btu am doing so for my own records. This may be the best pumpkin ale I have tried to date but I am, in no way at all, a fan. A simple sip is more than enough for me.

2010 EDIT: I have come around to enjoy pumpkin beers a little more and this beer is GREAT example of the syle. Sorry Smutty!

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

Enjoyed on tap at the Stone Church Music Club in Newmarket, NH

A great seasonal beer.. and I typically hate pumpkin beers. Pours amber with a beige head. Smells like a pumpkin pie: pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.. maybe a little clove. Has a nice pumpkin pie taste but with hop character that reminds you its a beer. The hops-meets-pumpkin pie taste has to be tried to understand. Admittedly, hops flavor in a pumpkin pie would probably be booed on thanksgiving. It worsk though, trust me. Slight carbonation and quite drinkable. Would have had more if I could have. My favorite pumpkin beer.. well the only one I've liked. Its worth a try even if you're not into this type of beer.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

12 oz brown bottle with a bottled on date.

A- Semi-sticky white lace with a hazed dusty golden hue.

S- Pumpkin rind, spices and a mild malt sweetness in the nose.

T- Big fruity ale flavors, abundant of spices and a layer of fermented pumpkin. Malt sweetness holds its own with a balanced spice character. Finishes earthy.

M- Exceptionally smooth with a medium body.

D- True to New England, one of the few pumpkin ales I could drink all night long.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

12 ouncer, with a notch on the label, no clue what it signafies however. Orangy amber, with a white head, shows decent retention and streams of bubbles rising up. Respectable lacing, Slight spicey nose. Medium bodied, malty center, expected pumpkin flavors fairly well concealed (much to my pleasure) in the rear. Up front is just a touch of spicing and a slight pumpkin note. As the pumpkin theme is quite mild and reserved, I enjoyed this take on a style that really doesnt do it for me.

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin--very good

Taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, hops, and some pumpkin. The taste does not measure up to the smell.

Mouthfeel: surprisingly bitter, moderate carbonation, medium bodied, dry

Drinkability: This one is OK. After splitting a six, I am done with this one. The spices here overpower the pumpkin. I get some spices and hops--and minimal pumpkin--like a pumpkin pie IPA. This one smelled a lot better than the taste.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured an orange color with a white head that left bits of lacing and remained throughout. Smell of pumpkin rind, pumpkin spice, and I think a bit of clove. Taste seems lighter than the nose, there is the taste of pumpkin rind, and some of the pumpkin spice, but seems pretty subdued; nutmeg is what dominates the taste, but thankfully it's not too overpowering. Medium carbonation, and lighter side of medium bodied. Pretty solid beer for the fall, but I think one will do. Worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked up a sixpack of this from Consumer Beverages in Orchard Park, NY about three weeks ago. It didn't feel right to open them just yet, but I knew I would eventually want one, so I've been waiting patiently until today! Happy first day of fall, BA!

Poured into a Bell's glass, because sadly, I do not as of yet have a Smuttynose glass. Caramel-amber in colour, like the baked maple squash I'll be making in two weeks for Canuckian Thanksgiving. Somewhat murky, and with a thin head of foam that displays terrific retention. Lots of lacing as well. Great looking brew.

Nose is pumpkin puree, a bit of sugar and cinnamon (though the overall sensation is far from sweet), clove and mild citrus hops.

Tasty autumn brew indeed, though I must say that the pumpkin flavour is a bit more subdued than in the nose. No matter; the brew is unmistakably suitable for the season, with pumpkin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a nice hop bitterness to cleanse the palate. Becomes more pumpkin-like as it warms. Medium bodied, slightly creamy, mild carbonation.

Highly drinkable pumpkin ale, that simultaneously covers one's hankerings for "pumpkin" and "fall" beers. Glad I picked up a few to supplement my already substantial pumpkin beer list.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

12oz. amber bottle courtesy of AKSmokedPorter in his effort to have me completely hung over for a recent golf tournament...

It's pumpkin-colored. Slightly toasted orange in color, with a slick layer of foamy white head. Fizzy. Aromas are wonderful. Not 100% pumpkin...more like mama's pumpkin pie: pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon. This theme is wonderfully carried over to the flavor. Lots of pumpkin flavor here, spiced up for good measure. Slightly bitter on the tail end, and this mixes nicely with the spicy pumpkin notes. Not at hefty as I'd expected, but very, very drinkable. A great fall beer and one I'll seek out again.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

I got this as a single from Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a pilsner glass. Month, (September), is clearly notched on the label. What is not clear is if this is a born on or expiration date. The beer was very fresh, and being a fall offering, you'd think it was a born on date.

Pours a cloudy apricot with a one finger head of off-white foam. The head quickly drops to scarce islands and a ring, with intermittent splotches of lacing on the glass.

Yes, this actually smells of pumpkin, along with cinammon, nutmeg, and allspice. These spices are well contained, however. This is the pumpkin ale with the best actual pumpkin smell I've had so far.

First flavor is also pumpkin, kind of sweet, along with allspice, nutmeg and cinammon. Can't really taste what kind of malt is used. There is a decent level of bittering hops in here, along with some spicy hop flavor. For the style, this is damn good. Aftertaste is a long pumpkin and spices.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a pretty good carbonation bite coming in late. Finish is full bodied and long.

I must admit I'm impressed with this pumpkin ale from Smutty. It has a real pumpkin smell and taste, as opposed to just spices. It's well balanced, has some hop presence, and, dammit, I just like it!

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber honey with lots of bubbles but very little head. Lots of spicey smells such as nutmeg and maybe some all spice. Taste of sweet nutmeg with some peppery finish. Mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but not bad. Drinkability is limited as its similar to a winter warmer, maybe two but really theres a reason to its limited release as its definetly a seasonal offering.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle pulled from the fridge poured into an SA perfect pint glass. best before feb 2011 on neck of bottle.

pours a golden orange color with just a slight haze. nice 2 fingers of head that eventually faded to some spotty foam. small spots of lace.

the aroma, not super huge, has a nice balance of all the things needed for a nice pumpkin ale. you get your holiday spices, nutmeg cinnamin, pumpkin pie, puree pumpkin, malt, and a little estery alcohol.

the taste once again shows a nice balance between the pumpkin, spices, malt and hops. mutmeg, cinnamin, pumpkin pie, a nice caramel malt, with a light dose of herbal hop, with just a touch of bitterness.

medium bodied, carbonation is a bit active and sparkly on the tongue.

great drinkability for a pumpkin ale, prolly one of the best to session. drank a sixer of these last night and it couldnt have gone down easier.

overall, a good pumpkin ale with a good balance between ingerdients. not super flavorful, but a great choice to session, ill be seeing this one again...soon...

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

S: smelled like an IPA than pumpkin. I was definitely expecting more pumpkin with this one.

T: Tasted very dark and bitter. Definitely not a fall delight! Wish it would have eluded to this beer tasting like an IPA. Very dark and heavy!

O: It was not necessarily a bad beer, but not a pumpkin beer. If you are into dark beers, hoppy and IPA than this would be the right beer for you!

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Love the label. Pours a golden orange color with an orangey beige head that drops right away. Nose is sweet and spicy, but not overly spiced like some other pumpkins. Flavor is very well balanced. Not overly pumpinized, not overly spiced with nutmeg, not overly hoppy. Very nice balance of all three (but lowest on hops). Tingly mouthfeel, and a sweet pumpkin finish, followed by a hop bitter aftertaste. Very good.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Mmmm...pumpkin.

Pours a hazy orange amber with a large fluffy white head. Looks a lot like their IPA. Smells strongly of nutmeg and cinnamon, along with the obvious pumpkin. Reminds me of refrigerated leftover pumpkin pie. Taste wise the purre of pumkin really stands out. It's almost as if you can chew on the stringiness of it. The spicing enhances the whole experience of it. It really gets better as it warms. Mouthfeel is moderate and carbonation is not unbearable. Perfect to drink on this cool Maine October evening.

to view more.