Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Reviews by chinchill:
3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

Undated 12 oz bottle served in a pint glass. Slightly hazy amber color with a small but remarkably durable off-white head. Spotty scraps of lace are left on the glass.

Aroma: a bit too soapy/yeasty/musty, and has an out of place floral note. Pumpkin pie spices evident but not overdone.

Taste: excellent combination of beer, pumpkin and spices, with a fine sweet/bitter balance that starts mildly sweet and ends lightly bitter and earthy. Nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice linger on in the aftertaste. The spice load is significant but not over the top, allowing flavors of squash, malts and hops to shine through.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation seems spot on; medium body; very smooth.

O: Despite an unattractive aroma, Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is one of the best pumpkin ales I've ever had. Wish I'd bought more than one!

chinchill, Apr 26, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on tap at the Drafting Room in Spring House,poured a medium orange/gold color with a light but sticky head,aroma was strong of cinnamon and nutmeg just like opening a jar of cinnamon.The taste was not so over the top a more subtle pumpkin flavor with the spices also being more subdued a light hop bitternes lingers pretty well.I think a real nice pumpkin offering here.

oberon, Nov 22, 2003

Mac19872, Nov 17, 2011

woodchipper, Sep 07, 2013

Beer review from BA Mag Oct 2007.

Smuttynose brews their pumpkin ale with "real" pumpkin puree and does not list it as a mystery "natural flavor" like some of the bigger brewers. As we've mentioned, brewing with pumpkins is not a new fad. Brewers back in the colonial days brewed with pumpkins as well as other ingredients due to the high price of imported malt.

Hey everyone, we have another epic head here. We see this just as much as a blue moon on Monday. The crown of lace that clings to the glass is absolutely amazing. Bright and clear and orangey in color. Big sniff of powdery allspice with cinnamon being the dominant spice. Toasted malt and a hint of fruity yeast in the back of the nose. More than enough hop bitterness to go around with an earthy herbal flavor, both never go overboard. Toasted malt is the next layer with a dried grass flavor, spicing drops a mingling of nutmeg and cinnamon while the subtle pumpkin flavor rides up against a warming and very mild estery alcohol. Finishes with a hop note of herbs and bitterness, spice and a drying grain.

This is a beer drinker's beer when it comes to pumpkin ales. The flavor profiles are brimming with simple complexities from the spice, hops and pumpkin and just enough malt to hold the foundation of this beer together. So flavorful it would overshadow a plain turkey dinner.

BeerAdvocate, Jul 07, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Oh yum. Truly, truly an impressive Pumpkin ale. This definitely gives Dogfish Head's "Punkin" a run for their money.

I picked this up at a beer bar (Max's on Broadway - Fells Point, Baltimore) but luckily they provided me with a pint glass, so I got to unleash it.

Beautiful deep orange color. Ahh, the scent! The full, bursting flavor! A wonderful amalgamation of fall spices and roasted pumpkin. Fills you up, mind body & soul.

Excellent drinkability. I would purchase another. Or a 6 pack. Or a case. You know what you want when you crack a Pumpkin ale, and Smuttynose delivers.

chOAKbarrell, Aug 29, 2005

danthehopslamman, Aug 13, 2012
2.79/5  rDev -24.2%

Was disappointed in this Pumpkin Ale. More notes of cinnamon than pumpkin. Finish is def more bitter than I was expecting. Having had Pumking before this brew the bar was set pretty high. Will enjoy the remainder of the 6 pack but wont be buying this again.

BigMarty1980, Aug 11, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Had this in a recent beer tasting dinner. This went well with the appetizer of ham croquettes and bitterballen. The beer was a dark amber with a medium white head. Aroma was pumpkin pie spice and grain. The pumpkin came through in the taste, as did the (mostly cinnamon) spice. A pleasant enough beer, I just wouldn't want to make a steady diet of it.

lordofthewiens, Nov 14, 2007

csmartin6, Oct 06, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

heddar33, Sep 16, 2012

DWolf, Sep 08, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

2004 edition. Deep orange amber with a cream colored head that dissipates rather rapidly. The aroma is like what those New England backroad converted barn country stores smell like - all warm and spicy (emphasis on cloves and nutmeg, maybe a cinnamon broom in there somewhere) - mixed with some toasty malt. Very enticing.

Starts with a bitter spice note on the tongue - ever lick a nutmeg or a clove? - then the pumpkin comes in. Amazing - a pumpkin ale where you can actually taste the pumpkin! then the toasty malt comes in along with a hop bitterness (distinct from the spiciness at the beginning). Finishes magnificently - drink a Shoals Pale Ale after a big old forkful of pumpkin pie and get the same effect. Hops, malt, pumpkin, spice... What I really like about this beer is how the spices, pumpkin fruit, and malt/hops all play nice together. The mouthfeel is a slight bit fizzy but otherwise in character. Couldn't drink a lot of them now, but that may change when the temperature drops a few degrees.

Consistently one of my favorite fall seasonals.

sponberg, Sep 28, 2004

SunDevilBeer, Sep 15, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

TTripp725, Thursday at 07:53 PM
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle date reads "Best Before Feb 10" and it was sampled on 9-12-2009.

Appearance: The body has a deep orange amber color with a cloudy look. The pour produces a one finger thick white cap of foam. It slowly fades down to just a very thin layer of bubbles that makes a little slice lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a spicy, vegetable/squash like bouquet with some light toasted malt notes as well.

Taste/Palate: Up front there are solid spice flavors of cinnamon, allspice and clove with some roasted pumpkin and toasted malt underneath. The finish sees a good balance of flavor as the spicy hops creeps in and adds some nice bitterness to the mix. The palate has a solid medium body with average carbonation and a mellow drinkable texture.

Notes: This was a very solid Pumpkin Ale with good pumpkin flavor and spice balance.

generallee, Oct 31, 2009

Callmecoon, Apr 05, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

TimoP, Aug 29, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -43.5%

My review is short, but not to sweet. Smuttynose dares to be different. I don't understand what would make them think strong bitter hop flavor is good for a pumpkin beer. The nutmeg and cinnamon were almost non existent, and it is extremely bitter throughout with a very nasty aftertaste left from that.

Since I had it at fridge temp at first I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought the pumpkin and spice flavor would show more as it got closer to room temp but I was wrong, it stayed non existent. It drives me nuts because I like smuttynose and love a good pumpkin beer, but this gave them and the pumpkin category a bad name.

Because I had high expectations and they were immediately shot down this quickly turned into one of my least favorite beers I've had.

bnewall3, Nov 14, 2011

Twifiter, Oct 17, 2012

Okay, well, it's October and Halloween is a few days away and, well, it's pumpkin season adnd all that other stuff...and Smuttynose is probably my favorite brewery on the East Coast. Sooo, I bought a sixer of this pumpkin ale to go along with my girlfriend and I's stuffed pumpkin dinner. I have to admit, first off, that I am not a huge pumpkin fan. Nor am I a fan of any of the alleged "autumn spices", especially in beer. So, here goes nothing!

Poured a hazy golden orange with a great creamy head that stuck around for the long haul. Decent lacing to be noted as well.

Smelled of ridiculous amounts of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar, and all them other spices that go along with autumn. Smelled like sweet pumpkin pie.

Taste is HUGE on nutmeg and cinnamon. Ends a bit hoppy but is overridden by the nutmeg, cinamon, pumpkin, and all the other spices to be found in this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated, but not overly done.

Drinkabilty is hugely subjective when it comes to this brew. Not that it isn't any other time, but with this beer, you probably need more than just an affinity for beer. You need a pre-positive disposition towards pumpkin pie and the autumn spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. I can see someone who is into all them kind of flavors to really enjoy this beer, but I just cannot get into it at all. I have a hard time finishing just a single 12oz. serving.

I have to admit, I shouldn't even be reviewing this beer btu am doing so for my own records. This may be the best pumpkin ale I have tried to date but I am, in no way at all, a fan. A simple sip is more than enough for me.

2010 EDIT: I have come around to enjoy pumpkin beers a little more and this beer is GREAT example of the syle. Sorry Smutty!

Doomcifer, Oct 29, 2006

iemailjack, Jan 15, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

JakerLou, Aug 29, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Enjoyed on tap at the Stone Church Music Club in Newmarket, NH

A great seasonal beer.. and I typically hate pumpkin beers. Pours amber with a beige head. Smells like a pumpkin pie: pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.. maybe a little clove. Has a nice pumpkin pie taste but with hop character that reminds you its a beer. The hops-meets-pumpkin pie taste has to be tried to understand. Admittedly, hops flavor in a pumpkin pie would probably be booed on thanksgiving. It worsk though, trust me. Slight carbonation and quite drinkable. Would have had more if I could have. My favorite pumpkin beer.. well the only one I've liked. Its worth a try even if you're not into this type of beer.

mattf311, Nov 20, 2006