Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

1.12/5  rDev -69.5%

Stuff tasted like potpourri. I bought a case on recommendation. What a mistake. It turned out the guy who recommended it didn't even like pumpkin ales. He was just trying to move product for his boss.

I tried to give the rest of the case to multiple people but one in 10 liked it. 10th guy got the rest.

This is not just my opinion either. I bought this from our area super store. At the season's end, this and a really, really expensive pumpkin ale were the only pumpkin ales left in the store.

Save your taste buds. Buy something else~ like Weyerbacher, Post Road, Uinta, Long Trail, Buffalo Bill, Ichabod, UFO, or Tommyknocker. All of these are much better. Weyerbacher is my current favorite.

As you can read, I am a huge fan of pumpkin ales. Smuttynose, Blue Moon, and Samuel Adams are at the bottom of my pumpkin ale category. Maple Mistress is another pumpkin ale loser. This is supposed to be an imperial pumpkin ale, but tastes like a maple ale. I guess that makes it an imperial maple ale.

1.3/5  rDev -64.6%

Ill be honest, im one to judge books by their covers, and I always hated the artwork on every smuttynose bottle I've ever seen including this one but I decided to try since I've been surprised before.

It looks as you'd expect a pumpkin ale to appear, golden amber in color with nice lacing. It smells very floral and earthy which I found pleasant. It was the taste I thought was lacking. It tastes slightly like pumpkins initially and remains that way the whole way through. There is a slight hop bitterness after swallowing but this bitterness builds with each sip which I find unpleasant. after all is said and done my mouth tastes of spices which I didn't taste while actually drinking the beer, sorry but don't make mine a smutty

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

Drinking this out of the bottle. Main smell here is earthy with subtle pumpkin and spice. Take one sip of this beer and my mouth is attacked by bitterness. not something i expect from a pumpkin ale. After having Pumpking a few days ago this brew tasted like i was drinking battery acid. I immediately thought i bought a bad batch but the Best before date was Dec 2011. Seems like this beer tries to be a pumpkin ale and an IPA but doesnt get either right. If i want a piney, hoppy bitter I'll reach for an IPA. Im surprised by the high grade this beer received but to each their own.

1.56/5  rDev -57.5%

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.99/5  rDev -45.8%

A - golden yellow with a rocky light tan head, a few streams of carbonation

S - weird, almost a non-aroma, slight spice aroma, nondescript malt aromas, after a few swigs and more room to swirl, i well up a more distinct pumpkin aroma, more like allspice-esque aroma, its fleeting though

T - taste is metallic, with added spices that dont really amass to pumpkin, theres an earthy note, very surprised this isnt very good

M&D - metallic, sharp, i am very surprised and disappointed, i think i will try another bottle another day, Smuttynose knows how to make good beer

When I saw this pumpkin ale available at my grocery store I thought to myself "how delicious". Also there's supposed to be some cinnamon included in the beverage as well. Sadly I tasted neither. All I tasted was a bitter ale with no flavors of squash or spices. So given this I am disappointed. I purchased a 6 pack and am stuck with 5 more bottles. That's the bad news. The good news is it did leave me a good aftertaste. Sometimes I'll have a flavorful drink and then 1/2 hour later the aftertaste spoils it.

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company