Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 813 | Hads: 1,755
1.12/5  rDev -70.1%

Stuff tasted like potpourri. I bought a case on recommendation. What a mistake. It turned out the guy who recommended it didn't even like pumpkin ales. He was just trying to move product for his boss.

I tried to give the rest of the case to multiple people but one in 10 liked it. 10th guy got the rest.

This is not just my opinion either. I bought this from our area super store. At the season's end, this and a really, really expensive pumpkin ale were the only pumpkin ales left in the store.

Save your taste buds. Buy something else~ like Weyerbacher, Post Road, Uinta, Long Trail, Buffalo Bill, Ichabod, UFO, or Tommyknocker. All of these are much better. Weyerbacher is my current favorite.

As you can read, I am a huge fan of pumpkin ales. Smuttynose, Blue Moon, and Samuel Adams are at the bottom of my pumpkin ale category. Maple Mistress is another pumpkin ale loser. This is supposed to be an imperial pumpkin ale, but tastes like a maple ale. I guess that makes it an imperial maple ale. (1,008 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -65.3%

Ill be honest, im one to judge books by their covers, and I always hated the artwork on every smuttynose bottle I've ever seen including this one but I decided to try since I've been surprised before.

It looks as you'd expect a pumpkin ale to appear, golden amber in color with nice lacing. It smells very floral and earthy which I found pleasant. It was the taste I thought was lacking. It tastes slightly like pumpkins initially and remains that way the whole way through. There is a slight hop bitterness after swallowing but this bitterness builds with each sip which I find unpleasant. after all is said and done my mouth tastes of spices which I didn't taste while actually drinking the beer, sorry but don't make mine a smutty (734 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -60%

Drinking this out of the bottle. Main smell here is earthy with subtle pumpkin and spice. Take one sip of this beer and my mouth is attacked by bitterness. not something i expect from a pumpkin ale. After having Pumpking a few days ago this brew tasted like i was drinking battery acid. I immediately thought i bought a bad batch but the Best before date was Dec 2011. Seems like this beer tries to be a pumpkin ale and an IPA but doesnt get either right. If i want a piney, hoppy bitter I'll reach for an IPA. Im surprised by the high grade this beer received but to each their own. (583 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -46.9%

A - golden yellow with a rocky light tan head, a few streams of carbonation

S - weird, almost a non-aroma, slight spice aroma, nondescript malt aromas, after a few swigs and more room to swirl, i well up a more distinct pumpkin aroma, more like allspice-esque aroma, its fleeting though

T - taste is metallic, with added spices that dont really amass to pumpkin, theres an earthy note, very surprised this isnt very good

M&D - metallic, sharp, i am very surprised and disappointed, i think i will try another bottle another day, Smuttynose knows how to make good beer (570 characters)

When I saw this pumpkin ale available at my grocery store I thought to myself "how delicious". Also there's supposed to be some cinnamon included in the beverage as well. Sadly I tasted neither. All I tasted was a bitter ale with no flavors of squash or spices. So given this I am disappointed. I purchased a 6 pack and am stuck with 5 more bottles. That's the bad news. The good news is it did leave me a good aftertaste. Sometimes I'll have a flavorful drink and then 1/2 hour later the aftertaste spoils it. (510 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -45.9%

Appears a dark clouded orange copper hue with a light off white head, fine speckled lacing. Aroma has a bright pumpkin flesh with pumpkin spices to follow. Bottle gushed when I first opened it and flavor slightly sour with bitter spices another horrible beer I'm not trying to hate on spiced pumpkin ales but these suck, next I'm going to try Weyerbacher and DFH versions. outhfeel is bitter dry vegetable rind, carbonation is strong and overberaring. Drinkability is terrible way to hard to finish twelve ounces, god I'd rather throw up than drink these god awful pumpkin ales. (578 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

I like a lot of Smuttynose's products and maybe it is just this year but I found this to be unpleasant at best. Nice orange amber color with nice lacing. Very bitter taste almost metalic and no real pumpkin spice detected. Seemed to be unfiltered (didn't know that with first bottle). (284 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours up nice....excellent color...I was real excited to drink this.
It was all down hill from that point. Bitter, metallic, dry, and nasty are the first few adjectives that come to mind.
I had to gargle with Iron City to get the taste of this nasty stuff out of my mouth.
I've heard good things about the folks at Smuttynose and may try another brew...but this was NOT a good start. (384 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%

My review is short, but not to sweet. Smuttynose dares to be different. I don't understand what would make them think strong bitter hop flavor is good for a pumpkin beer. The nutmeg and cinnamon were almost non existent, and it is extremely bitter throughout with a very nasty aftertaste left from that.

Since I had it at fridge temp at first I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought the pumpkin and spice flavor would show more as it got closer to room temp but I was wrong, it stayed non existent. It drives me nuts because I like smuttynose and love a good pumpkin beer, but this gave them and the pumpkin category a bad name.

Because I had high expectations and they were immediately shot down this quickly turned into one of my least favorite beers I've had. (773 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours an orange color with a tad bit of a white head and not much lacing. The nose is just completely overloaded with spices to the point where it's almost like a tea. A teensy amount of pumpkin in there if you really try to find it. The taste is even worse, with the spices clashing with one another and just not working in general. Feel is over-spiced with some carbonation to carry them away. Not one of the better pumpkin brews out there. (464 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

This is the only Smuttynose beer that I have disliked, ever. And boy did I dislike this beer!.

A: Looks really nice, big deep orange hazy , with a huge sticky head. Very Nice.

S: Some light pumpkin and spice scents. Not very sweet at all.

T: Ack...This is really bad. The pumpkin flavor doesn't meld with the oddly hoppy low malt profile. It tastes like a metallic hoppy pale ale with some pumpkin slopped in. The beer is way too dry and the flavor turns totally flat and oddly bitter at the close. Nothing lingers besides a flat bitterness.

M: Much too thin a mouthfeel for the style. I want big and sweet with a pumkin ale. This is meek and thin.

O: Overall, this is by far the worst pumpkin beer I've tried. I am a huge fan and supporter of Smuttynose, but this is a clear miss. I don't understand why they bottled this. It just is not good tasting in anyway in my opinion. I don't get it! I can't even finish this let alone the rest of the 6-pack. (957 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -38.9%

Aroma: smells soapy and bitter.

appearance - Orangish brown, light foam and lacing on glass.

Taste - tastes like soap and herbs, with subtle hop undertones. Missing the hazelnut, cinnamony, clovey, malty goodness I would expect in a pumpkin ale. if it were classified in a different category I may not have thought it was so bad, but this is not a good representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, subtle carbonation.

Overall - any beer is worth TRYING, but not all are worth drinking an entire bottle. If you're going to try this, have a buddy or two to try it with! (574 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36%

Over the counter order from bar in a 12oz bottle.

I have enjoyed many Smuttynose beers but I found this one to come up short.

Let me preface this review by saying i am not a big pumpkin beer fan, but I am not necessarily turned off by the typical fall spicing in beers. I do enjoy a good flavored pumpking for a beer but cannot really do more than one or two

I found this one to not have much of a pumpkin taste but more of a commercial faint pumpkin & spice flavor.

If you are looking to enjoy a flavorful pumpkin, you can look elsewhere. Based on positive reviews there must be a crowd that is looking for this flavor. I won't be having another one of these. (665 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36%

I'd go through the whole A S T M D thing, but I'm not going to waste my time.

This is easily the 1st Smuttynose beer I had a hard time drinking. I only drank it because I just came back from a jog on a warm sunny day and was totally in the mood for a beer.

I was hoping for some pumpkin flavor. What I got instead was kind of like liquid pumpkin pie.

The difference you ask? Pumpkin tastes great. Pumpkin pie spice blends are overpowering. I love the spices individually, as well as blended, but I almost always feel the spice blend is too far in the forefront of the flavor profile and too overwhelming.

I feel this way about this beer. It was hoppier than I had hoped. It's like a mild IPA meets pumpkin pie spice blend. The subtle flavor of pumpkin would do better with a wheat or pilsner base, I feel. In fact, I may try to brew one with that base, but that's a different BA department...

In short, if you like the pumpkin pie spice blend, you'll like this beer. It is a fantastic representation for this class of beer if that's the ideal flavor profile.

However, if you like the subtle sweet and earthy taste of pumpkin, you won't like this beer. (1,157 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

We are on a taste test to find the best Pumpkin ale for fall beer of choice. Post Road Pumpkin is bitter tasting with less spice then others I've tired. This is no a pumpkin ale that I could drink all night. I always willing to try a beer once. Have a great day (261 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -35.2%

The first Smuttynose beer that I've genuinely disliked. Sample glass from tasting with northyorksammy, grub, and biegaman.

Aroma is completely unexpected -- soapy, perfumy, and floral. Taste is bitter and surprisingly hoppy, with far too much fake cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and very little pumpkin. Nose is relatively spicy. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, like eating powdered spices.

My first example of the style, but definitely will not be purchasing again. (473 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

On tap at Not Your Average Joe's on 10/19/08. I am hoping that the bottled version was much better than the tap. Muted smell, completely lacking any pumpkin notes and almost lacking any smell whatsoever. The taste was a little spicy, but once again lacked any pumpkin flavor. (275 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

S: smelled like an IPA than pumpkin. I was definitely expecting more pumpkin with this one.

T: Tasted very dark and bitter. Definitely not a fall delight! Wish it would have eluded to this beer tasting like an IPA. Very dark and heavy!

O: It was not necessarily a bad beer, but not a pumpkin beer. If you are into dark beers, hoppy and IPA than this would be the right beer for you! (384 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -33.1%

A: Starts out OK. A hazy orange with tan head.

S: Hmmm. Not much going on. No real spice notes.

T: WOW! Vegetal and bitter. No spice notes detected. Just bitterness and tart. Like unsweetened grapefruit. No pumpkin noted. Lots of bitter noted.

M: Medium

O: Disappointed. Being a Smutty fan....this left me wanting no more. (326 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

Apperance- Nice golden color

Smell- I thought this ale was a little week on the pumpkin and spice smell

Taste- The taste was OK I was expecting a little more from this ale.

Mouthfeel- I thought this was a very dry taste at the end.

Drinkability- Not an ale I would recomend. (286 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer lacks flavor. If I'm drinking a pumpkin beer, I want to taste pumpkin and spices. I can appreciate subtleties, but this is too subtle.

There's a faint whisper of pumpkin in the background but then it fades to an odd, off-putting, indistinguishable pumpkin spice before disappearing entirely.

As a general ale it's not bad, but even then, the tiny bit of pumpkin that's there also ruins the hop aroma and characteristics. I'm all for a pumpkin beer for beer drinkers, but this isn't it. This is a pumpkin beer for beer drinkers who don't wanna drink pumpkin beer.

Definitely not taking care of my pumpkin beer fix (yes, there's such a thing). (655 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured a hazy orange color with a nice creamy white head. Plenty of lace sticking around throughout. The smell was pleasant but light. Definite spice notes of nutmeg and cinnamon dominating. The taste lost it for me. The spice was still there and the pumpkin flavor was in the mix but there was a sterile, metallic hop flavor that showed up on the finish. I didn't find it appealing at all. It tasted like drinking water out of an old hose connection on the side of your house. For me, it really lacked the robust flavor that made other pumpkin beers (like DFH Punkin Ale) truly drinkable. I actually poured half down the drain. (628 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Smells like a spiced beer but I can't pick anything specifically
Out of it. Not much taste of anything until you swallow when you are left with some sort bitter generic spice taste in the back of
Your mouth rather unpleasant. It took me about an hour to drink after I decided not
To pour it down the drain. pours a pretty cooper color not very carbonated (354 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

tasting party sept 11/06 with northyorksammy, crwills, biegaman and me (grub). everyone threw in a few bottles and we had an interesting mix of beer and mead. not sure of exactly who contributed what, so i'll just thank everyone.

pours a golden yellow colour with a big white head.

aroma is interesting. cinnamon, clove, nutmeg are all noticeable. a bit of sweetness. big floral scent, almost perfumey.

taste is perfume. strong floral component, with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. has a nice malt backbone and a decent level of bitterness. the flavour is a little hard to place at times, and it might be ginger.

mouthfeel isn't great. medium body. astringent. carbonation feels a little sharp.

drinkability isn't great on this one. didn't really enjoy it. the strong floral and spice components came across like perfume or bath salts or something. definitely not a component i'm looking for in a beer. (915 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

pours a rich copper orange 1 inch head dissapates to heavy lacing

smells mostly of cinnamon.. some usual pumpkin spice.. meh..

well carbonated.. spicy mouthfeel.

Immediately detecting burn of cinnamon spice on the tongue... but weak pumpkin flavor

Is Smuttynose outsourcing??...Keg says brewed by Matt brewing co... hmmm...

Overall just average.. nothin to write home about here. (384 characters)

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company