1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Pumpkin AleSmuttynose Pumpkin Ale

good

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Pours a dark orange with two fingers of beige head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg with traces of vanilla at first followed by some faint pumpkin and yam-like aromas. Sweet citrus aromas from the hops bring up the finish.

T: Similar to the flavor, there are some spice and vanilla notes up front followed by light pumpkin flavors. The hops kick in on the finish with some citrus and pine flavors, giving a lightly bitter finish.

M: Medium body with mid-high carbonation, this beer is fairly light and crisp, which goes well with the hoppy characters.

O: A good pumpkin ale that stands out from the crowd by having both a nice pumpkin presence along with the spices and a decent hop kick.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Many thanks to Mdaschaf for the chance to taste this one. I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers and of Smuttynose, so looking forward to this. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. Pours a terrific dark orange color. Just looks like fall. Just a little head leaves some lacing around the perimeter of the glass. Smell- fall flavors in a glass. nutmeg, pumpkin, some winter spices, cinnamon is very strong. Taste- orange peel, nutmeg, pumpkin, nice hop bitterness, cinnamon (almost like actual cinnamon is on my tongue). Very balanced. You could imagine that any one of these flavors could get overpowering and out of hand, but it does not. Well done, definitely one of the better, if not the best pumpkin beer I have ever had.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Sampled from a bottle – best by December 2011. Dirty copper orange in color with a deep haze. Poured with a respectable fluffy off-white foam with decent staying power. Foam slowly reduced to a thick cap that left sheets of sticky lacings on the glass. A nice combination of aromas that included sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of clove. Medium bodied with a delicate feel despite the assertive carbonation. Spicy clove flavor is dominant from beginning to end with pumpkin flavor beneath. Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors peak through toward the middle with floral hoppiness sneaking in toward the finish. Finishes dry with a combination spicy and floral hop bitterness. Flavors and aromas were more delicate than most pumpkins I’ve tried. This is probably the most hop character I’ve also tasted in a pumpkin before.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

pours a rich copper orange 1 inch head dissapates to heavy lacing

smells mostly of cinnamon.. some usual pumpkin spice.. meh..

well carbonated.. spicy mouthfeel.

Immediately detecting burn of cinnamon spice on the tongue... but weak pumpkin flavor

Is Smuttynose outsourcing??...Keg says brewed by Matt brewing co... hmmm...

Overall just average.. nothin to write home about here.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Aroma: Spices (mostly cinnamon), sweet nutmeg and mild pumpkin. Sweet malts. No alcohol detected. This is the first pumpkin ale I've had in a while that didn't have a presence of alcohol in the aroma.

Appearance: Light brown with a tint of orange. Tall frothy whitish-orange head. Heavy lacing. Excellent retention.

Flavor: Spices, sweet nutmeg. I swear I taste mildly bitter pilsner malt in the aftertaste. Either that or the brew is a bit out of date. Thought maybe I'd see some sediment on the bottom of the bottle, but nothing.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Mild carbonation. A bit astringent, almost like there's some hops in the mix.

Overall impression: Nice spices followed by sweet malts and pumpkin. Nice and bold, enough flavor, yet very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Southampton Pumpkin Ale.

A: Cloudy amber with a two-finger, frothy, white head that lasted more than a few minutes. Great lacing.

S: Pumpkin and spice. Subtle but not too mild.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. The bitterness carries through too strongly in the finish. Mild pumpkin is there. The beer has a hop spice, but not so much pumpkin spice.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

O: This beer looks phenomenal. The taste was a bit overpowered by hop bitterness. I didn't get as much of the pumpkin and spice as I would have liked. The mouthfeel was solid though. Overall, this was pretty good and better than the Southampton Pumpkin Ale.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance:
Light amber orange with a centimeter of fluffy, white head kept throughout drinking. The lacing is thick and blanketing. Also, this beer provides good clarity with no haze or particles.

Smell:
A light nose of pumpkin spices and sugar. A crisp bitterness also makes its way through the pumpkin spices. You may not notice the alcohol initially, but a deep inhale makes it less subtle. This is definitely a step down from a pumking, but does have more pronounced bitterness comparatively.

Taste:
Quite hoppy with a little sweetness. The hoppiness lingers on the palate and completely dominates. I honestly don't get the "pumpkin pie effect" while drinking. Instead the beer presents more as an IPA than pumpkin ale.

Mouthfeel:
Saturating piney hops which dominate over the pumpkin goodness. If i wanted strong hops I would likely avoid choosing this style of beer because that's not a traditional characteristic. I prefer a pumpkin ale that provides a richer malt and pie-spice aroma with secondary spiciness from hops.

Overall:
Although this may not be the best pumpkin ale I've had, it's still not a terrible beer.
Even though there isn't established pumpkin in the aroma or taste it still glows orange in the light and has a pumpkin photograph on the bottle. I wouldn't purchase this beer again... there are too many more pumpkin ales left for me to try!

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a cloudy amber, with about a 1/2" head; some lacing. It has the look of apple cider. It has a very inviting aroma of brown sugar, cinnamon, & graham cracker. The flavor begins with pumpkin and toast for a second before the hop profile takes over. I had this most recently alongside 3 other pumpkin ales, and I learned that rather than being able to 'stack rank' them, I found each was good in a certain situation. If you're not in the mood for a literally a pumpkin pie dessert in a glass, this is definitely the pumpkin ale for you. It's more like drinking an APA with a pumpkin influence on the flavor rather than the other way around. It's so smooth - not boozy or syrupy like many others as well. This will be my go-to everyday pumpkin ale for fall seasons to come.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Copper color with a big foamy head. It shrinks down quickly but doesn't fully disappear. Caramel malty nose. Some fresh pumpkin and a fruity hop character. Flavor is a spicy pumpkin hit upfront with a light caramel middle and a larger than average amount of carbonation. Sticky pine and pumpkin spice for the finish. Weird malty/tangy finish.

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: BIG tan head on this beer, 3-fingers worth. Its frothily and fluffy like a cloud. It sits on top of a somewhat cloudy beautiful orange beer, visible carbonation though the haze.

S: I know I've used this moniker before, but it smells like they took a pumpkin pie and liquified it. They have somehow managed to get the aroma of that gram-cracker crust into the nose as well. Brilliant.

T: Unfortunately this is one place where this beer falls short. I taste pumpkin, but nothing else that I get out of the smell. It is very bitter, but not in a good way, it's border-line offensive.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation and a bad bad bad astringency. Not pleasant at all.

D: I may have gotten a bad bottle, but I only bought one bottle so this is what I have to go by. I'm sorry Smuttynose, this is the first beer that has ever gotten the drain pour from me. :(

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appears brown with bright amber hues. Mild pumpkin spices in the nose (ginger); pumpkin puree.

Hoppy up top with slighty aggressive spice notes underneath.

Medium bodied. Mouthfeel is well balanced with bitter qualities, wet avenues & a lingering finish.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a nice orange color w/ a one finger off white head. Fairly cloudy, and impossible to see through. Decent carbonation and lacing. Very orange when held to the light. Nose is more spice than most pumpkin ales. In fact, it might be a little too much nutmeg. Not very balanced at all. I'd like a little more balance and pumpkin in the nose. Taste is the same thing. Too much nutmeg, and not enough malt, pumpkin, etc.... In my opinion, this beer is a shadow of my favorite pumpkin ale, by Weyerbacher. Feel is very carbonated, and fairly thin. Would like some more malt in there. Overall, this is not among the best pumpkin ales I've had. In fact, it's probably my least favorite. Still glad I got to try it though.

1.45/5  rDev -60.4%

Drinking this out of the bottle. Main smell here is earthy with subtle pumpkin and spice. Take one sip of this beer and my mouth is attacked by bitterness. not something i expect from a pumpkin ale. After having Pumpking a few days ago this brew tasted like i was drinking battery acid. I immediately thought i bought a bad batch but the Best before date was Dec 2011. Seems like this beer tries to be a pumpkin ale and an IPA but doesnt get either right. If i want a piney, hoppy bitter I'll reach for an IPA. Im surprised by the high grade this beer received but to each their own.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a true pumpkin beer.

The second of the season for me, it really restored my faith in this style.

Pours a hazy and deep burnt orange color, with a small but thick head, very solid lacing but little retention.

The smell is not overwhelming but beautifull. The comforting sweetness from the pumpkin is blissful.

The taste is not overdone. Pumpkin is the star, but it plays fairly with its buddy, beer. Really an incredible balance between beer and special guest. Unlike other pumpkin beers I've had, this stays true to natural pumpkin and not its overwhelmingly cinnamon flavored deserts.

The taste linger sweet, with equal hops, malt, and pumpkin.

Sometimes simplicity is divine.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

First a bunch of O-Fests, now bunch o' pumpkin brews. Fall's fun, ain't it? This one pours a clear copper topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, light balsa, and a decent touch of minty pine. The taste holds notes of sharp pine, orange peel, light cinnamon, banana peel, greens, and pumpkin shell. Things are just a tad too bitter for this combination to actually work... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, this pumpkin beer just doesn't do it for me, what with the strange bitterness and lack of much of a pumpkin-ness.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Served on-tap at Liberty Taproom in a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber colored body with a dense, small light beige head. Initially the lacing was good, but the retention was almost non-existent after a few sips. It seems standard fair for a Pumpkin Ale, almost no lace or retention; sort of boring looking but it is what it is for the style.

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, baked dough, roasted nuts and touches of generic pumpkin spice. There's a certain floral quality to it perhaps from the hops but it just doesn't seem to fit into the big picture of the aroma. It's not detracting from anything but just doesn't seem to mesh well with the other flavors.

T: Rich and flavorful pumpkin flesh and allspice come through first. A touch of nutmeg and the dryness of cinnamon are mid-palate. The back end is where this beer takes a drastic turn; it's full of a weird, off and completely out of place bitterness. It completely threw me off and like the nose, just doesn't work with the beer. It's a complete tangent from the flavor profile, and not in a good way. Dry and bitter in the finish.

M: Fairly bubbly and active with a typical medium body for the style. It's sort of smooth across the palate but does come across kind of dry in the finish. It could be from the funky bitterness towards the back palate.

Out of all the Pumpkin Ales I've tried so far, this is by far my least favorite of the bunch. Although not as overpowering, it did start off in the right direction but I can't get past the out of place bitterness towards the end. It doesn't blend well with the beer and throws everything off balance.

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A: Amber color with fluffy white head that has good retention and leaves behind a nice smattering of lacing.

S: The nose lives up to this being a pumpkin ale. The smell is really great, heavy on the pumpkin, lots of allspice and cinnamon, with a slight sweetness.

T: As good as the smell is, I find the taste of this bee rot be just dreadful. The dominant flavor is just bitterness, and not pleasant hop bitterness. The only thing that it reminds me of is when you cook with old spices and add too much and all you get is a deep, unpleasant bitterness. There's a little bit of pumpkin and allspice behind the bitterness, at least.

M: Medium bodied, relatively light on the carbonation. It feels like a nice fall drink.

O: I always want to like pumpkin ales, but I REALLY dislike this one. I actually find it unpleasant to drink. It has so much to recommend it in the other categories, but just flat out fails on flavor for me.

1.3/5  rDev -64.5%

Ill be honest, im one to judge books by their covers, and I always hated the artwork on every smuttynose bottle I've ever seen including this one but I decided to try since I've been surprised before.

It looks as you'd expect a pumpkin ale to appear, golden amber in color with nice lacing. It smells very floral and earthy which I found pleasant. It was the taste I thought was lacking. It tastes slightly like pumpkins initially and remains that way the whole way through. There is a slight hop bitterness after swallowing but this bitterness builds with each sip which I find unpleasant. after all is said and done my mouth tastes of spices which I didn't taste while actually drinking the beer, sorry but don't make mine a smutty

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

The pour reveals a soft tarnished bronze and good bubbling. The head is about two fingers width after the pour, and a nice foam throughout.

Very light pumpkin meat mixed with muffins and a little baked sugar. Very malty and just a little sweet smell.

Bitter upfront with some soft muffins and even softer pumkin flavors. The beer finishes gypsum, mineral bitter and quick. The carbonation is good nd the beer feels smooth on my palate. Its just the taste I can't get past.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottle into tulip glassware.

A: Light tan head, minimal lacing. Dark amber body, cloudy. I enjoy the look; I think it is a perfect pumpkin ale color.

S: Spices, nutmeg, malt, pumpkin. Having a little trouble picking up much else

T: Similar to smell. Spicy, hops, vanilla.

M: Nice carbonation, not dry.

O: This is a great beer. I love that it is an Ale first, pumpkin second.

For my own record: bought six pack at People Liq Warehouse, $8.99.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

IBU - Unknown
DATE – 20 SEP 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Goblet
APPEARANCE – Orange… murky with Very little head good flow of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass
AROMA- Strong nutmeg and of course pumpkin.
TASTE –A little bitter in the after taste. Good stand alone pumpkin flavor, but no traces of the nutmeg that was in the aroma. Still Taste like beer, not over the top pumpkin.
MOUTHFEEL – Very carbonated but smooth. By looking at the beer one me assume it would be creamy or syrupy but it is very light.
CONCLUSION – The best pumpkin beer I have had, but it is ok. I would have like to seen more spice to it or sweetness.
-JH-

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm tackling a horizontal tasting of four pumpkin ales tonight. Second in the line up, Smuttynose.

This beer is the lightest of the quartet. Reminds me of Anchor Liberty Ale in color. It had the best head by far at first before it became a thin layer at the top. I smell cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some pumpkin.

Following my first sip, the only adjective I can use to describe the taste is "complex." I'm not sure what I'm tasting here. I do taste a dry and hoppy (relatively speaking for a pumpkin ale) finish. Some nutmeg is starting to shine through now. And I can also get a squashy, authentic pumpkin taste.

I'd say this is the best and most complex of the quartet (which includes Samuel Adams', Brooklyn's, and Blue Point's pumpkin ales). The hoppy finish is my only detraction. With pumpkin ales, I only want enough hops to offset any sweetness.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

Appearance : this beer poured a cloudy orange color. A vigorous pour yeilds a fluffy off white head that has decent retention with minimal lacing.

Smell : this beer has mild pumpkin notes . Smells like your average pumpkin beer nothing overwhelming on the nose

Taste: the taste follows the nose. Its a good tasting beer, it is enjoyable just not alot to write about.

Mouthfeel :light bodied beer with good carbonation

Overall : this is an enjoyable brew but if I didn't known ahead of time it was a pumpkin ale I might not of picked up on it.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a hazy amber with one finger of offwhite foam, settles to a thin ring with a spray of lace a few inches down the glass. Smell: lots of pie spice, not a lot of pumpkin. Mildy toasted grains. Taste: a hit of pumpkin, mildy toasted grain and semi-sweet pale malt backdrop, quite a lot of nutmeg, quick touch of cinnamon. Hopping is more aggressive than most pumpkin beers, but that's neither good nor bad given the fleeting pumpkin flavor. Finish is drying and powdery with a lot of pie spice hanging around. A decent pumpkin beer but more spice than anything else. Best by Dec 2011 stamped on neck.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Just picked up a Sixer of this beer at my favorite local deli. Decided its time to celebrate the first night of Octoberfest properly.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear, copper orange. About 3 inches of head on this one! Perfect Halloween coloring.

Smell: Sweet, spicy, and just plain tangy. Reminds me of pumpkin' pie. Hmmm

Taste: Has a tangy, pumpkin flavor to it at first. But as i dell deeper into this brew, the spices become a bit overwhelming and I must take a break. Also has a hint of vanilla bean.

Mouthfeel: Has a perfectly balanced medium body with an above-average carbonation. I do enjoy the pumpkin' flavor

Final Thoughts: This brew was one to remember. I know theres something im missing above, but for now I can't really put my finger on it. I would def. recommend this beer to anyone who is in a fall time festive mood. Will try again on a nice bonfire night. Now i must be on my way to watch my Philadelphia Phillies do work!

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company