Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light and golden. Nice foamy head and decent lacing. Cloudy.

S: Pumpkin, nutmeg, spice, and ginger. Great aromatic beer.

T: Intense shot of spices that flow through in the taste. The spices overshoot the pumpkin. I can taste them at the tip of my tongue. Very bitter aftertaste.

M: Spicy. Fizzy beer.

D: This is a very full bodied, spicy beer. Possibly a little too spicy.

KenOnBass, Sep 27, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

With the Fall comes the pumpkin...

Appearance: Pours an opaque orange-y amber color. Go figure, it reminds me of the color of a pumpkin. A rough pour doesn't yield much head, maybe a centimeter or so. Either way, it doesn't hang around very long, and leaves behind some sporadic lacing.

Smell: A nice mix of pumpkin and spice (typical autumn spices). Reminds me a little bit of pumpkin pie or some kind of pumpkin desert.

Taste: Taste isn't quite as good as the smell unfortunately. Here, it's more spicy than pumpkiny. A bit of a bitter bite at the end. Not bad, I was just hoping for more of a sweet pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: Nice body, good carbonation. Just about sums it up.

Drinkability: For a pumpkin ale, it's not bad. A little heavy on the spice for my taste. I would drink this one again, but there are better pumpkin ales out there.

krisandajt, Sep 26, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz brown bottle.

I am amazed at the glowing reviews of this beer. There is something very wierd and off-putting about this brew this year. I have had three different samples of this brew from different bottles that came from different stores in different states, so it'd be a stretch to say I had a "bad bottle".

Each time I sampled it I was with other people sampling too, and the overwhelming response from all was, "ick".

Some say it is "soapy". I say that the spices conspire to give it a "toothpaste"-like flavor. Pepsodent?

Zero pumpkin. Just this strong soapy, toothpasty flavor that isn't appealing. What's going on here? How can I and 90% of the people I've tasted this with agree with me, and yet so many others on BA are giving this rave reviews and talking about abundant pumpkin and hops flavors.

We couldn't be drinking the same beer. The 2009 Smuttynose Puimpkin Ale, right? I see that some of you here do agree with me.

RobH, Sep 25, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a brassy orange. Nice head, pretty creamy. Some lacing. Aroma is kind of burnt smelling, with some malt, grassy hops and an autumn spice background.

Flavor could use some work. This beer is surprisingly hoppy and bitter, but at the same time has that malty, spiced pumpkin character. Some are saying all of these flavors are well-balanced; I think they are a little bit messy and don't blend terribly well. There is some tanginess from the pumpkin used. Aftertaste is bitter, with a faint but undesirable burnt cookie flavor. Mouthfeel is kind of hard, but not watery or anything. Carbonation was good, and the drink was not belaboring.

Smuttynose is one of my favorite breweries. Love their IPA. But this is kind of like a pumpkin IPA, a combo that doesn't really do it for me. Overall, the Smuttynose seasonals (NOT big beers) have yet to impress me. They kind of faltered with this one.

dasenebler, Sep 25, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Pours a bright, glowing, modestly hazy burnt orange color. The tall, faintly tan head has a dense, creamy texture and a somewhat rocky surface. Retention is quite good. Lacing is, for lack of a better word, lacy and quite nice.

S: Toasty, lightly grainy malt. A pleasant pumpkin aroma, along with nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Earthy and herbal hop aromas are present as well. Clean, simple, pleasant.

T: Toasty, grainy pale malt up front. A very authentic pumpkin flavor is accompanied by a near-perfect dose of pie spices that never even approach cloying. Allspice, nutmeg, and ginger, along with a generally yeasty twang. A firm hop bitterness rides along with herbal and earthen flavors, providing excellent balance.

M: A firm mouthfeel overall. Carbonation is somewhat crisp. Rather dry on the finish.

D: A very well brewed pumpkin ale. Wonderfully balanced. This beer would appeal during any season, but it's perfect as the seasons begin changing.

Clydesdale, Sep 25, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Light amber color

Smell: Not much here. Maybe a little bit of "fall" spices

Taste: Where the hell is the pumpkin? This just tastes like a nondescript ale with an IPA kick in which someone just added a tiny bit of fall spices.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable here.

Drinkability: I didn't like this, but I would have to say this beer is very drinkable - it doesn't weigh me down.

I don't know what's going on with this beer this year. Last year, this was one of my favorites. I can't figure out if this is a crappy batch this year, or maybe my tastes have changed?Serving type: bottle

rosmhuire, Sep 24, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured a hazy orange color with a nice creamy white head. Plenty of lace sticking around throughout. The smell was pleasant but light. Definite spice notes of nutmeg and cinnamon dominating. The taste lost it for me. The spice was still there and the pumpkin flavor was in the mix but there was a sterile, metallic hop flavor that showed up on the finish. I didn't find it appealing at all. It tasted like drinking water out of an old hose connection on the side of your house. For me, it really lacked the robust flavor that made other pumpkin beers (like DFH Punkin Ale) truly drinkable. I actually poured half down the drain.

apbarwood, Sep 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +18%

Drank plenty of samples of this at the Madison County HopFest. It was excellent. Most pumpkin ales are little more than a spicy brown ale. This is what a good pumpkin ale should be.

A - Nice and bright orange colored with a two finger tan head. Seems very carbonated.

S - Pumpkin and spice. Very subtle, no malt that I can detect. Some hops.

T - Big pumpkin flavor up front that resolves into a nice, spicy, and surprisingly hoppy finish. This is sharper and hoppier than most pumpkin ales, and less of a sweet brown ale. The pumpkin is also much more predominant in the taste than the spices. The spices are more subdued but definitely there, the main taste is of hops and that nice squash flavor. Finishes pretty dry and makes me want another sip!

M - Medium bodied and a bit overcarbonated for my tastes.

D - I could drink plenty of these.

This is a very hoppy and sharp tasting pumpkin ale that features more pumpkin flavor than most I have tried. Very nice. It was far far better on tap but honestly even in a bottle it is better than most other pumpkin ales you can buy, save for Punkin and Pumking.

BeerPhan86, Sep 24, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -46.9%

A - golden yellow with a rocky light tan head, a few streams of carbonation

S - weird, almost a non-aroma, slight spice aroma, nondescript malt aromas, after a few swigs and more room to swirl, i well up a more distinct pumpkin aroma, more like allspice-esque aroma, its fleeting though

T - taste is metallic, with added spices that dont really amass to pumpkin, theres an earthy note, very surprised this isnt very good

M&D - metallic, sharp, i am very surprised and disappointed, i think i will try another bottle another day, Smuttynose knows how to make good beer

sinstaineddemon, Sep 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours dark orange with small white head. Too subtle in scent: faint pumpkin and spice. Flavors of pumpkin, orange rind, spices through to the finish, almost salty toward the end. Medium bodied with zesty carbonation. A fall seasonal that is worth getting once a year but leave it at that.

JRed, Sep 19, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -36%

I'd go through the whole A S T M D thing, but I'm not going to waste my time.

This is easily the 1st Smuttynose beer I had a hard time drinking. I only drank it because I just came back from a jog on a warm sunny day and was totally in the mood for a beer.

I was hoping for some pumpkin flavor. What I got instead was kind of like liquid pumpkin pie.

The difference you ask? Pumpkin tastes great. Pumpkin pie spice blends are overpowering. I love the spices individually, as well as blended, but I almost always feel the spice blend is too far in the forefront of the flavor profile and too overwhelming.

I feel this way about this beer. It was hoppier than I had hoped. It's like a mild IPA meets pumpkin pie spice blend. The subtle flavor of pumpkin would do better with a wheat or pilsner base, I feel. In fact, I may try to brew one with that base, but that's a different BA department...

In short, if you like the pumpkin pie spice blend, you'll like this beer. It is a fantastic representation for this class of beer if that's the ideal flavor profile.

However, if you like the subtle sweet and earthy taste of pumpkin, you won't like this beer.

GeeL, Sep 19, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Copper colored beer with nice head and lacing
smells like pumpkin, spices, definitely some aromatic hops more than expected
Wow, perfect balance of spice-sweet, pumpkin-hops, this is very good. A little to bitter for a pumpkin ale, but without a doubt the most balanced pumpkin ale on the market.
mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied
drinkability is high because none of the flavors are overwhelming

While I thought this could have been more interesting, definitely one of the best pumpkin beers on the market.

cheapxceptbeer, Sep 15, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Aroma was of pumpkin pie spices. Cinn, nutmeg, etc.

Looked sort of orange. Poor head retention, but left some lace.

Taste was pumpkin pie spices with a lot of hoppy bitterness. I have never had a pumpkin ale with so much hop bitterness before. It was an interesting interpretation of a pumpkin ale.

Medium bodied, avg carbonation.

Overall, I think it was OK. I would have preferred less hop influence in this type of beer, I guess I just didn't get what they were going for... or why they were going for it. I really like the other beers that they do though.

BrewSomerville, Sep 15, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy copper color with small white head that fades quickly, but still leaves some small lacing on the glass.

S: Smells just like pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, clove and cinnimon. Some hops as well.

T: Big pumpkin flavor upfront. Some cinnimon and spices. Bready malt and carmel. Followed by a big blast of citrus hops. This is a really hoppy pumpkin ale.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

D: This is a very good pumpkin ale, definitely the hoppiest one I've tried. But there is something about the mixture of pumpkin, spices, and big citrus flavors from the hops, that doesn't seem quite right. Not to say that its bad, but it's not as drinkable for me as some other pumpkin ales.

JMD, Sep 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A medium amber orange color with a nice one finger white head. Nice full glass lacing.

S: Spice, pumpkin, earthy hops and malt sweetness.

T: This beer was just perfect for a pumpkin beer. The nutmeg, cinnamon spice was very subdued and let the pumpkin and squash flavors really shine throughout the beer. The malt sweetness stays in check with a large amount of grassy earthy hops on the finish which yields a real nice bitter finish. Great pumpkin beer that really showcases the pumpkin with the help of some nice hops. Probably the hoppiest pumpkin I have ever had.

M: Medium, and very dry at the finish. No alcohol flavor.

D: High, very nice drinkable pumpkin beer.

Overall this is a real nice pumpkin beer that was different from all the rest. Most pumpkin beers rely on heavy spice to carry the flavor, but this one the spice just compliments the pumpkin and allows the pumpkin to be the showcase. Very nice beer, I loved it.

Kadonny, Sep 14, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with an expiration date of Jan '10. Sampled on September 2009. The pour is more amber than the orange that is typical of pumpkin spices. A nice puffy white head and some lacing accompanies it. The aroma has weak pumpkin and squash elements along with some hops but it is not as potent as many pumpkin ales I have tried over the years. Meidum mouthfeel. A little hoppy in in the taste and less spicy than I would like. Still, a likeable beer.

puboflyons, Sep 13, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz. bottle, poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Cloudy, orange, copper, color. The pour produces a quarter of eggshell white head, that leaves sheets of nice lace.

A: Big spice. Allspice, nutmeg, butternut squash, and pumpkin. Cinnimon, vanilla, and a sour mash aroma are present as well.

T: Spot on for a pumpkin ale. Great spice and pumpkin flavor. I really am enjoying the nutmeg and earthy squash flavors. Almost, and I stress, almost like an IPA with a very pronounced spicey pumpkin flavor.

M: Medium body, average carbonation. Very nice.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side due to the spiceiness of the brew. But, overall this is one fine pumpkin beer. This is one that makes me wish I still lived up North. Oh how I miss the fall season. Skal.

Gtreid, Sep 12, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Burnt, hazy orange with a nice fluffy, sticky head that leaves nice residual lacing.

S: Spiced pumpkin pie, faint cinnamon, and mild hops.

T: Mildly bitter hops up front that give way to pumpkin and a nice, spicey, cinnamon-y finish that is pretty dry overall.

M: Light and corbonated

D: Very drinkable pumpkin ale that is not overdone at all. Just the right balance of spices. This beer goes a long way and makes me glad that autumn is rapidly approaching...

ujsplace, Sep 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Smutty Pumpkin Ale pours a frosty amber/orange color. I think its a tad too cold. No matter, it will warm up. The head is very thick and leaves some nice lacing inside the glass.

The aroma of this beer is very unique. I don't think I've ever smelled something quite like this that wasn't on the stove. Its got a spicy aroma but also that of cooked squash (not so much the pumpkin in a can smell that other pumpkin ales have). There is not a lot of sweetness in the smell, its a bit sour and musty as well actually.

The flavor of this is very different then the other pumpkin beers I've had before. It tastes like what I'd imagine a very real pumpkin ale would taste like. Its not all that sweet, its more tangy then anything. Its got some spice to it but not a whole lot and does not mimic any gourd flavored pastry whatsoever. The finish is dry and a bit astringent, but not in a bad way, its more of a sharp finishing flavor. Its really amazing just how unique this beer is and also how easily you can adapt to it and really enjoy the flavors that come out.

I'll be honest, the aroma threw me for a loop. It was such a different set of smells that I was picking up I really wasn't sure I'd enjoy the tastes that would follow. Thankfully this beer proved my senses wrong and I really enjoyed it especially as it warmed a bit.

indiapaleale, Sep 12, 2009

hazy burnt gold with an off-white head that shrinks but never totally disappears and leaves tons of lace as it goes. nose is cooked pumpkin with the skin, nutmeg and toasted bread up front. taste is more of the same in well balance and this year's batch seems to have a much higher ibu than previous years. virtually no bitterness from the hop, but the skunk is in there this year for sure. medium body. well carbonated. could actually drink a few of these. i think that smutty makes just about the best simple pumpkin beer i've ever tried. definitely not for those who want liquid pumkin pie (which i am quite fond of btw). Quite a sessionable fall time harvest goodie brew. go smutty!!

timtim, Sep 11, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 ox bottled

A: Hard pour into a pint glass, very nice color and head. Crackles like autumn leaves as the head recedes. Off white, pale orange color and leaves great lacing down the glass. Orange, slightly hazy color beer. Good looker.

S: Spicey upfront, with a sweet pumpkin layer underneath. Nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and pumpkin (obviously) dominate the smell. Couldnt wait to taste it!

T: A great balance of pumpkin and spice. At first, I really tasted most of the spices, nutmeg dominates. As the beer warmed a little, the pumpkin started to shine through. A really captivating brew, perfect for the season. Just enough bitterness on the finish to make you want more.

M: Good. Medium to light body. Average carbonation. Refreshing and tight flavors.

D: Highly drinkable. However, this may be a problem with all seasonal pumpkin beers, you may get a little bored with more than two of these. Be in the mood for pumpkin when you drink it.

Overall, I think this is one of the better, if not best, pumpkin beers out there, in terms of balance especially.

Darkhorse09, Sep 11, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's Market in Salem, NH. pours a hazy, almost murky, golden amber with a half inch or so of off white head that slowly dissipated. scents of spices, vegetable mustiness, tinge of caramel, faint suggestion of hops grace the nose. flavors of spices, and plantiness to it. moderate carbonation. not a bad beer, but i prefer DFH Punkin'.

CheckMate, Sep 11, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Pours a burnt orange with a rather hazy appearance. The off-white head rose a little over a finger and then subsided quickly. Moderate lacing.

Toasted malt with a heavy aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. You get more of a fleshy pumpkin aroma as the beer warms. Overall, a slightly sweet, earthy aroma.

The cinnamon combines with hops to provide an overall bitterness that counterbalances the sweetness of the nutmeg, vanilla and pumpkin up front. More like pumpkin pie then pumpkin itself, but fleshy pumpkin pulls through ever so lightly in the finish. Nicely done.

The carbonation is set nicely on this one. Medium bodied with a smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

For a pumpkin ale, this guy is very drinkable. The flavors are not overbearing and compliment each other nicely. Not an upper echelon pumpkin by any means, but definitely second tier.

ColForbinBC, Sep 10, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Poured into a Guinness pint glass orange in color, with a nice lace and not much head to speak of.

S: A great aroma of sweet all spice, nutmeg and cinnamon like a slice of pumpkin pie.

T: Taste like it smells, nice spicy flavor. Has a slight bitterness at the end which works well with this beer.

M: A nice medium bodied beer, light carbonation.

D: With its great smell and flavors makes it a great seasonal beer.

This beer was a great pumpkin beer. Would definitely recommend.

40Ounce, Sep 09, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into my nonic pint glass. The ale appears a clear copper color with about two fingers of creamy light ecru head. Nose and flavor consist of spices such as allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, some clove, hints of caramelized malt and brown sugar, roasted pumpkin meat, toasted bread. Medium in both body and carbonation. One of the better pumpkin ales on the shelves these days.

ClockworkOrange, Sep 08, 2009