Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Trappeze in Athens, GA.

Pours a clear golden-orange color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of spices - nutmeg and brown sugar - with good amounts of slightly biscuity pale malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The spice flavors aren't as intense as the smell would intimate but still force the malt flavors to take a backseat. The ending is sufficiently crisp and leaves light spices lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was a solid pumpkin beer however I didn't think the malt had quite enough oomph to make this really above average. Still, worth a shot.

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a clear orange-amber color with a one finger head that fizzes out pretty quickly and leaves medium lacing behind. Smells of a baked good, pumpkins, cinnamon, some sweets, malts and nutmeg. Pretty standard aromas but a good balance with a decently strong nose. Tastes of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, malts and some hoppy bitterness. Alcohol becomes a tiny bit present as I progress with this one. Mouthfeel is light-medium with some creamyness, good carbonation and a bit of alcohol warming as I get farther into the beer. Leaves a good coat of malts and pumpkin on the tongue. Drinkability is pretty good, the beer itself tastes good, but I can feel it diminishing as I finish it up, some alcohol is shining through and taking over. Pumpkin beer themselves seem to fade to pure spices toward the end and it's overpowering. The price was not bad for this one and I'm not sure if I'll get it again, really like Will Stevens at this point for pumpkin.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Enjoyed this one - grabbed it cause it was Smuttynose (always had good experiences) and cheap(er than other Pumpkins). Very unique flavor and aromas - definite allspice and pumpkin spices in there, but it's balanced with a legitimate hop presence as well. It all works pretty well - I'd definitely grab it again.

P St. Whole Foods/$9/6-pack

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Nice tight head and pours a cloudy amber/orange color once the yeast settles a little.
Smell: Nice natural pumpkin smell. I can detect a little cinnamon combined with the roasted malt flavors. The subtle scent of the yeast and hops accentuate the pumpkin aroma.
Taste: It has a great pumpkin flavor with spicy cinnamon undertones. I could sense the cinnamon aroma as I took a breathe during my first sip. The beer has a great balance of flavors from the hops and malt to the sweetness of the pumpkin.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The beer was not too heavy and not too crisp. It had a nice weight to it and didn't ruin my palate. Very easy to enjoy in the fall months.

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. The weather in Jacksonville has been hot and humid for what seems like 9 months now except for 2 days last week when "fall was in the air". The two days of 68 degree weather was not enough to put me in the Halloween/fall spirit...my favorite time of year. This offering from Smuttynose has done for me what the calendar and other pumpkin beers couldn't. I'm officially in the spirit of October and Halloween after having just one sip of this awesome beer. Just the perfect blend of pumpkin flavor and spices, the perfect pillowey, fluffy head, with sticky pumpkin lacing. Not too this and not too that...the perfect balance in a pumpkin ale. Smutty has vicariously shared the New Hampshire fall season with us down here in season-less Florida via the distribution of beer and that is a beautiful thing.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Gorgeous! Deep orange shines through leathery brown. Two fingers of white, light-orange foamy head. Excellent retention.

T: This tastes exactly like an APA. Doesn't taste like pumpkins at all. Tastes like sweet malts and a bitter Cascade-y finish. Not a bad beer at all, but fairly disappointing as far as pumpkin beers go.

M: Thick and smooth. Creamy.

D: The bitter finish detracts from drinkability somewhat.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Color is copper, good head formation, rings of lacing as beer is consumed.

Aroma is pumpkin and spice,

taste is primarily pie spice with a noticeable pumpkin flavor in the background and a bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation

drinkability is above average for the style, probably wouldn't want too many in a row.

Overall, definitely one of my favorite pumpkin beers, a nice amount of spices make the brew interesting yet it is not cloying or overdone. Something worth picking up when available.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

10/8/09 - purchased a six pack about a week ago from Whole Foods on Bowery and Houston

A - hazy golden brown with little head and moderate lacing

S - pumpkin, spices (nutmeg I believe), and a hint of hops

T - nutmeg and tangy hops are immediately apparent with sweet pumpkin and some pale malts coming through. The finish is strong pumpkin and hops with a slightly unpleasant bitter aftertaste.

M - heavy on the carbonation, viscosity about average

D - pretty good. I could drink a few of these but personally, I'd turn to something less bitter for the second beer of the night.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

Cloudy copper color with a thin white head but a constant flow of tiny bubbles.
Pumpkin spiced aroma is nice.
Very good tasting pumpkin ale, spices are not overpowering as I can still detect the malt and hop flavors.
Medium bodied with a crisp feel.
Easy to drink, an all around good autumn ale.

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at The Institute as part of their "Pumpkin Patch" event...

Hazy orange in color, ok white frothy head, good retention and lacing. Smell is of mild pumpkin pie with a focus on the spices (nutmeg, cinamon, clove). Flavor is a little more rounded then smell with the spicing followed by a very mild pumpkin puree flavor. Good medium and creamy body. One of the better pumpkin beers, but notches below the best.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

Purchased a case of 12oz bottles from the Beeryard as soon as it came in. After trying this beer last fall, it is now the first beer I seek out when fall beers hit the shelves.

Appearance: A nice, deep amber color. Hazy. Fluffy white head rises and falls pretty quickly, leaving some small bubbles at the top, which leave a nice lacing down the glass as you drink.

Smell: Nutmeg and allspice. This isn't an overly spicy pumpkin ale, which is why I like it so much. There is a sweet caramel backbone. A hint of pumpkin in the nose enticing you to dive in.

Taste: Cinnamon, nutmeg at first, quickly followed by a delicious pumpkin flavor. More pumpkin than you'd expect given the aroma. The pumpkin segue's into a sweet caramel flavor before the spices make a quick return before you swallow. Aftertaste is a nice mixture of sweet spiciness and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Decently carbonated. The finish sometimes feels a little "dirty" to me, for a lack of a better word. Medium bodied, not very heavy.

Drinkability: Very good. Not too spicy, tastes great and its not so heavy that after one or two you're full. I've drank many of these in a night on several occasions. That's how good it is.

Love this beer. My favorite Smutty so far. Definitely looking for more.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Blue Ridge Mountain pint glass.

A-Appearance is a darkish orange color with a nice head and great lacing throughout consumption.

S-Spicy cinnamon and pumpkin fill your nostrils.

T-Tasted much like it smelled, allspice and cinnamon are very prevalent, the pumpkin comes through the entire time and sticks to the palate and roof of the mouth.

M-Medium bodied, decent carbonation in the brew, I drank one a little too warm at first(overzealous) and the carbonation almost choked me.

D-Great drinkability, I finished off a six-pack in a session. Very good, pick some up today before its gone until next year.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Deep orange color, slightly hazy with a compact, sticky off-white head. Nice bits of lace cling to the glass. Bright, smooth spiciness in the nose...allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. A touch of sweet caramel and fruity yeast as well. Clean, sweet pumpkin and spice flavors with a subtle bitterness. Medium bodied and smooth. I wish the malt came through a little bit more, but it's a good effort.

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Cannery Wine & Spirits (Sun Prairie, WI)

Appearance: Pours a deep amber color that's a bit hazy with a finger of creamy head sitting on top. The head quickly disappears into a thin blanket of foam with a few bubbles. A very nice display of lacing that's broken into sheets going from top to bottom in my tulip glass.

Smell: Well with Fall on the way, the sniffles have started to arise. I may not be real sharp, but I'm picking up a nice nutmeg aroma with a small dash of allspice. Of course, there's a malt backbone to this. Smells like a sweet caramel malt backing this one up. I'm looking forward to this!

Taste: A very nice blend of spice and pumpkin on this. The first wave brings a blend of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. Following the spices comes a nice mixture of the caramel malt and that lovely squash variety called pumpkin. The last wave of flavor is from the aftertaste, which brings out the spice flavors again including nutmeg and allspice. I think this beer needs just a dash more sweetness on the aftertaste. With a beer like this I don't think it should be quite this bitter, but that's just my opinion. If there should be a granule or two of sugar at the end it'd be perfect.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, a little on the higher end. A nice amount of carbonation that makes it go down easy.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. A nice blend of pumpkin, spice and malt. This will surely end up in my crate again next Fall. I still stand by my statement that it needs a dash of sugar at the end to lighten up on the bitterness.

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle consumed on 9/23/09. Reviewed from notes.

Poured into my pint glass. Pours a slight cloudy orange with a big sticky ivory-colored head on top. Good retention, and excellent sticky lacing. Smells of faint spices, and some pumpkin. Nothing strong.

The mouth is crisp with plenty of carbonation. This is a very hoppy pumpkin ale. Big hop bitterness at the forefront, that finishes with a nice mild pumpkin aftertaste. Some spice present. This was a really good pumpkin ale. I liked their take on the style.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Sam Adams glass. Golden orang color, and with a hard pour, nice pillowy and fluffy head. Minimal lacing. Smells of sweet pumpkin and nutmeg. Tastes about the same, perhaps stronger for me in the nutmeg-like spicing. Kind of like pumpkin pie. Not as rich as some others in pumpkin flavor, but tasty noe the less. Mouthfeel is good; lively carbonation. Drinkability is good if you can drink multiple pumkins, which I have trouble doing...

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into pint glass.

A - Small head of creamy foam on a nice shiny copper body. The head doesn't last long but leaves a little bit of a ghosted lace behind.

S - Pumpkin patch while eating a Milky Way. Some nice spices, different then many pumpkin ales, a little more clove and ginger noticeable.

T - Again, and I mean it in a good way, Pumpkin Pie Milky Way. Semisweet, caramel, and pumpkin pie. Next is a little more of the spices, namely clove and nutmeg with a nice toasted malt. I really like the level of warmth in the finish.

M - Super smooth with a nice medium finish, some lingering sweetness. Just the right amount of carbonation for me as well.

D - One of the most drinkable pumpkins I've had so far. On a brisk fall night I could see these going down smooth and creating some wonderful dream.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, copper colored body. The head disappears quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Distinct aroma of pumpkin with caramel and toasted malt. Spicy hops with clove and cinnamon as well as a bit of ginger.

T - Flavor of caramel and pumpkin up front with ginger and allspice. Clove spice and toasted malt comes out in the middle. Finishes with slightly soapy hop bitterness and a bit of alcoholic warmth.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - A bit more drinkable and beer-like than most other pumpkin beers. Spicy, with a good hop character and just enough malt to balance.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

I've been going crazy trying all of the different pumpkin ales. Smuttynose was not a disappointment--just not one of my favorites.

Served on tap, this brew maintained a gorgeous head that lasted throughout.

One of the things that I wasn't sure about at first, but later decided that I liked, was Smuttynose's classic hop taste. Even in a brew that should not pronounced in hop, I found it different and refreshing. I could have had these all night. Overall, it seemed fairly week on the presence of pumpkin--but was an excellent autumn's brew.

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin--very good

Taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, hops, and some pumpkin. The taste does not measure up to the smell.

Mouthfeel: surprisingly bitter, moderate carbonation, medium bodied, dry

Drinkability: This one is OK. After splitting a six, I am done with this one. The spices here overpower the pumpkin. I get some spices and hops--and minimal pumpkin--like a pumpkin pie IPA. This one smelled a lot better than the taste.

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light and golden. Nice foamy head and decent lacing. Cloudy.

S: Pumpkin, nutmeg, spice, and ginger. Great aromatic beer.

T: Intense shot of spices that flow through in the taste. The spices overshoot the pumpkin. I can taste them at the tip of my tongue. Very bitter aftertaste.

M: Spicy. Fizzy beer.

D: This is a very full bodied, spicy beer. Possibly a little too spicy.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

With the Fall comes the pumpkin...

Appearance: Pours an opaque orange-y amber color. Go figure, it reminds me of the color of a pumpkin. A rough pour doesn't yield much head, maybe a centimeter or so. Either way, it doesn't hang around very long, and leaves behind some sporadic lacing.

Smell: A nice mix of pumpkin and spice (typical autumn spices). Reminds me a little bit of pumpkin pie or some kind of pumpkin desert.

Taste: Taste isn't quite as good as the smell unfortunately. Here, it's more spicy than pumpkiny. A bit of a bitter bite at the end. Not bad, I was just hoping for more of a sweet pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: Nice body, good carbonation. Just about sums it up.

Drinkability: For a pumpkin ale, it's not bad. A little heavy on the spice for my taste. I would drink this one again, but there are better pumpkin ales out there.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

12oz brown bottle.

I am amazed at the glowing reviews of this beer. There is something very wierd and off-putting about this brew this year. I have had three different samples of this brew from different bottles that came from different stores in different states, so it'd be a stretch to say I had a "bad bottle".

Each time I sampled it I was with other people sampling too, and the overwhelming response from all was, "ick".

Some say it is "soapy". I say that the spices conspire to give it a "toothpaste"-like flavor. Pepsodent?

Zero pumpkin. Just this strong soapy, toothpasty flavor that isn't appealing. What's going on here? How can I and 90% of the people I've tasted this with agree with me, and yet so many others on BA are giving this rave reviews and talking about abundant pumpkin and hops flavors.

We couldn't be drinking the same beer. The 2009 Smuttynose Puimpkin Ale, right? I see that some of you here do agree with me.

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a brassy orange. Nice head, pretty creamy. Some lacing. Aroma is kind of burnt smelling, with some malt, grassy hops and an autumn spice background.

Flavor could use some work. This beer is surprisingly hoppy and bitter, but at the same time has that malty, spiced pumpkin character. Some are saying all of these flavors are well-balanced; I think they are a little bit messy and don't blend terribly well. There is some tanginess from the pumpkin used. Aftertaste is bitter, with a faint but undesirable burnt cookie flavor. Mouthfeel is kind of hard, but not watery or anything. Carbonation was good, and the drink was not belaboring.

Smuttynose is one of my favorite breweries. Love their IPA. But this is kind of like a pumpkin IPA, a combo that doesn't really do it for me. Overall, the Smuttynose seasonals (NOT big beers) have yet to impress me. They kind of faltered with this one.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Pours a bright, glowing, modestly hazy burnt orange color. The tall, faintly tan head has a dense, creamy texture and a somewhat rocky surface. Retention is quite good. Lacing is, for lack of a better word, lacy and quite nice.

S: Toasty, lightly grainy malt. A pleasant pumpkin aroma, along with nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Earthy and herbal hop aromas are present as well. Clean, simple, pleasant.

T: Toasty, grainy pale malt up front. A very authentic pumpkin flavor is accompanied by a near-perfect dose of pie spices that never even approach cloying. Allspice, nutmeg, and ginger, along with a generally yeasty twang. A firm hop bitterness rides along with herbal and earthen flavors, providing excellent balance.

M: A firm mouthfeel overall. Carbonation is somewhat crisp. Rather dry on the finish.

D: A very well brewed pumpkin ale. Wonderfully balanced. This beer would appeal during any season, but it's perfect as the seasons begin changing.

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company