Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Purchased a case of 12oz bottles from the Beeryard as soon as it came in. After trying this beer last fall, it is now the first beer I seek out when fall beers hit the shelves.

Appearance: A nice, deep amber color. Hazy. Fluffy white head rises and falls pretty quickly, leaving some small bubbles at the top, which leave a nice lacing down the glass as you drink.

Smell: Nutmeg and allspice. This isn't an overly spicy pumpkin ale, which is why I like it so much. There is a sweet caramel backbone. A hint of pumpkin in the nose enticing you to dive in.

Taste: Cinnamon, nutmeg at first, quickly followed by a delicious pumpkin flavor. More pumpkin than you'd expect given the aroma. The pumpkin segue's into a sweet caramel flavor before the spices make a quick return before you swallow. Aftertaste is a nice mixture of sweet spiciness and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Decently carbonated. The finish sometimes feels a little "dirty" to me, for a lack of a better word. Medium bodied, not very heavy.

Drinkability: Very good. Not too spicy, tastes great and its not so heavy that after one or two you're full. I've drank many of these in a night on several occasions. That's how good it is.

Love this beer. My favorite Smutty so far. Definitely looking for more.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Blue Ridge Mountain pint glass.

A-Appearance is a darkish orange color with a nice head and great lacing throughout consumption.

S-Spicy cinnamon and pumpkin fill your nostrils.

T-Tasted much like it smelled, allspice and cinnamon are very prevalent, the pumpkin comes through the entire time and sticks to the palate and roof of the mouth.

M-Medium bodied, decent carbonation in the brew, I drank one a little too warm at first(overzealous) and the carbonation almost choked me.

D-Great drinkability, I finished off a six-pack in a session. Very good, pick some up today before its gone until next year.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Deep orange color, slightly hazy with a compact, sticky off-white head. Nice bits of lace cling to the glass. Bright, smooth spiciness in the nose...allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. A touch of sweet caramel and fruity yeast as well. Clean, sweet pumpkin and spice flavors with a subtle bitterness. Medium bodied and smooth. I wish the malt came through a little bit more, but it's a good effort.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Cannery Wine & Spirits (Sun Prairie, WI)

Appearance: Pours a deep amber color that's a bit hazy with a finger of creamy head sitting on top. The head quickly disappears into a thin blanket of foam with a few bubbles. A very nice display of lacing that's broken into sheets going from top to bottom in my tulip glass.

Smell: Well with Fall on the way, the sniffles have started to arise. I may not be real sharp, but I'm picking up a nice nutmeg aroma with a small dash of allspice. Of course, there's a malt backbone to this. Smells like a sweet caramel malt backing this one up. I'm looking forward to this!

Taste: A very nice blend of spice and pumpkin on this. The first wave brings a blend of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. Following the spices comes a nice mixture of the caramel malt and that lovely squash variety called pumpkin. The last wave of flavor is from the aftertaste, which brings out the spice flavors again including nutmeg and allspice. I think this beer needs just a dash more sweetness on the aftertaste. With a beer like this I don't think it should be quite this bitter, but that's just my opinion. If there should be a granule or two of sugar at the end it'd be perfect.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, a little on the higher end. A nice amount of carbonation that makes it go down easy.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. A nice blend of pumpkin, spice and malt. This will surely end up in my crate again next Fall. I still stand by my statement that it needs a dash of sugar at the end to lighten up on the bitterness.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle consumed on 9/23/09. Reviewed from notes.

Poured into my pint glass. Pours a slight cloudy orange with a big sticky ivory-colored head on top. Good retention, and excellent sticky lacing. Smells of faint spices, and some pumpkin. Nothing strong.

The mouth is crisp with plenty of carbonation. This is a very hoppy pumpkin ale. Big hop bitterness at the forefront, that finishes with a nice mild pumpkin aftertaste. Some spice present. This was a really good pumpkin ale. I liked their take on the style.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Sam Adams glass. Golden orang color, and with a hard pour, nice pillowy and fluffy head. Minimal lacing. Smells of sweet pumpkin and nutmeg. Tastes about the same, perhaps stronger for me in the nutmeg-like spicing. Kind of like pumpkin pie. Not as rich as some others in pumpkin flavor, but tasty noe the less. Mouthfeel is good; lively carbonation. Drinkability is good if you can drink multiple pumkins, which I have trouble doing...

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into pint glass.

A - Small head of creamy foam on a nice shiny copper body. The head doesn't last long but leaves a little bit of a ghosted lace behind.

S - Pumpkin patch while eating a Milky Way. Some nice spices, different then many pumpkin ales, a little more clove and ginger noticeable.

T - Again, and I mean it in a good way, Pumpkin Pie Milky Way. Semisweet, caramel, and pumpkin pie. Next is a little more of the spices, namely clove and nutmeg with a nice toasted malt. I really like the level of warmth in the finish.

M - Super smooth with a nice medium finish, some lingering sweetness. Just the right amount of carbonation for me as well.

D - One of the most drinkable pumpkins I've had so far. On a brisk fall night I could see these going down smooth and creating some wonderful dream.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, copper colored body. The head disappears quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Distinct aroma of pumpkin with caramel and toasted malt. Spicy hops with clove and cinnamon as well as a bit of ginger.

T - Flavor of caramel and pumpkin up front with ginger and allspice. Clove spice and toasted malt comes out in the middle. Finishes with slightly soapy hop bitterness and a bit of alcoholic warmth.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - A bit more drinkable and beer-like than most other pumpkin beers. Spicy, with a good hop character and just enough malt to balance.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

I've been going crazy trying all of the different pumpkin ales. Smuttynose was not a disappointment--just not one of my favorites.

Served on tap, this brew maintained a gorgeous head that lasted throughout.

One of the things that I wasn't sure about at first, but later decided that I liked, was Smuttynose's classic hop taste. Even in a brew that should not pronounced in hop, I found it different and refreshing. I could have had these all night. Overall, it seemed fairly week on the presence of pumpkin--but was an excellent autumn's brew.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin--very good

Taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, hops, and some pumpkin. The taste does not measure up to the smell.

Mouthfeel: surprisingly bitter, moderate carbonation, medium bodied, dry

Drinkability: This one is OK. After splitting a six, I am done with this one. The spices here overpower the pumpkin. I get some spices and hops--and minimal pumpkin--like a pumpkin pie IPA. This one smelled a lot better than the taste.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light and golden. Nice foamy head and decent lacing. Cloudy.

S: Pumpkin, nutmeg, spice, and ginger. Great aromatic beer.

T: Intense shot of spices that flow through in the taste. The spices overshoot the pumpkin. I can taste them at the tip of my tongue. Very bitter aftertaste.

M: Spicy. Fizzy beer.

D: This is a very full bodied, spicy beer. Possibly a little too spicy.

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

With the Fall comes the pumpkin...

Appearance: Pours an opaque orange-y amber color. Go figure, it reminds me of the color of a pumpkin. A rough pour doesn't yield much head, maybe a centimeter or so. Either way, it doesn't hang around very long, and leaves behind some sporadic lacing.

Smell: A nice mix of pumpkin and spice (typical autumn spices). Reminds me a little bit of pumpkin pie or some kind of pumpkin desert.

Taste: Taste isn't quite as good as the smell unfortunately. Here, it's more spicy than pumpkiny. A bit of a bitter bite at the end. Not bad, I was just hoping for more of a sweet pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: Nice body, good carbonation. Just about sums it up.

Drinkability: For a pumpkin ale, it's not bad. A little heavy on the spice for my taste. I would drink this one again, but there are better pumpkin ales out there.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz brown bottle.

I am amazed at the glowing reviews of this beer. There is something very wierd and off-putting about this brew this year. I have had three different samples of this brew from different bottles that came from different stores in different states, so it'd be a stretch to say I had a "bad bottle".

Each time I sampled it I was with other people sampling too, and the overwhelming response from all was, "ick".

Some say it is "soapy". I say that the spices conspire to give it a "toothpaste"-like flavor. Pepsodent?

Zero pumpkin. Just this strong soapy, toothpasty flavor that isn't appealing. What's going on here? How can I and 90% of the people I've tasted this with agree with me, and yet so many others on BA are giving this rave reviews and talking about abundant pumpkin and hops flavors.

We couldn't be drinking the same beer. The 2009 Smuttynose Puimpkin Ale, right? I see that some of you here do agree with me.

2.78/5  rDev -24%

Pours a brassy orange. Nice head, pretty creamy. Some lacing. Aroma is kind of burnt smelling, with some malt, grassy hops and an autumn spice background.

Flavor could use some work. This beer is surprisingly hoppy and bitter, but at the same time has that malty, spiced pumpkin character. Some are saying all of these flavors are well-balanced; I think they are a little bit messy and don't blend terribly well. There is some tanginess from the pumpkin used. Aftertaste is bitter, with a faint but undesirable burnt cookie flavor. Mouthfeel is kind of hard, but not watery or anything. Carbonation was good, and the drink was not belaboring.

Smuttynose is one of my favorite breweries. Love their IPA. But this is kind of like a pumpkin IPA, a combo that doesn't really do it for me. Overall, the Smuttynose seasonals (NOT big beers) have yet to impress me. They kind of faltered with this one.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Pours a bright, glowing, modestly hazy burnt orange color. The tall, faintly tan head has a dense, creamy texture and a somewhat rocky surface. Retention is quite good. Lacing is, for lack of a better word, lacy and quite nice.

S: Toasty, lightly grainy malt. A pleasant pumpkin aroma, along with nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Earthy and herbal hop aromas are present as well. Clean, simple, pleasant.

T: Toasty, grainy pale malt up front. A very authentic pumpkin flavor is accompanied by a near-perfect dose of pie spices that never even approach cloying. Allspice, nutmeg, and ginger, along with a generally yeasty twang. A firm hop bitterness rides along with herbal and earthen flavors, providing excellent balance.

M: A firm mouthfeel overall. Carbonation is somewhat crisp. Rather dry on the finish.

D: A very well brewed pumpkin ale. Wonderfully balanced. This beer would appeal during any season, but it's perfect as the seasons begin changing.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: Light amber color

Smell: Not much here. Maybe a little bit of "fall" spices

Taste: Where the hell is the pumpkin? This just tastes like a nondescript ale with an IPA kick in which someone just added a tiny bit of fall spices.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable here.

Drinkability: I didn't like this, but I would have to say this beer is very drinkable - it doesn't weigh me down.

I don't know what's going on with this beer this year. Last year, this was one of my favorites. I can't figure out if this is a crappy batch this year, or maybe my tastes have changed?Serving type: bottle

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured a hazy orange color with a nice creamy white head. Plenty of lace sticking around throughout. The smell was pleasant but light. Definite spice notes of nutmeg and cinnamon dominating. The taste lost it for me. The spice was still there and the pumpkin flavor was in the mix but there was a sterile, metallic hop flavor that showed up on the finish. I didn't find it appealing at all. It tasted like drinking water out of an old hose connection on the side of your house. For me, it really lacked the robust flavor that made other pumpkin beers (like DFH Punkin Ale) truly drinkable. I actually poured half down the drain.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Drank plenty of samples of this at the Madison County HopFest. It was excellent. Most pumpkin ales are little more than a spicy brown ale. This is what a good pumpkin ale should be.

A - Nice and bright orange colored with a two finger tan head. Seems very carbonated.

S - Pumpkin and spice. Very subtle, no malt that I can detect. Some hops.

T - Big pumpkin flavor up front that resolves into a nice, spicy, and surprisingly hoppy finish. This is sharper and hoppier than most pumpkin ales, and less of a sweet brown ale. The pumpkin is also much more predominant in the taste than the spices. The spices are more subdued but definitely there, the main taste is of hops and that nice squash flavor. Finishes pretty dry and makes me want another sip!

M - Medium bodied and a bit overcarbonated for my tastes.

D - I could drink plenty of these.

This is a very hoppy and sharp tasting pumpkin ale that features more pumpkin flavor than most I have tried. Very nice. It was far far better on tap but honestly even in a bottle it is better than most other pumpkin ales you can buy, save for Punkin and Pumking.

1.95/5  rDev -46.7%

A - golden yellow with a rocky light tan head, a few streams of carbonation

S - weird, almost a non-aroma, slight spice aroma, nondescript malt aromas, after a few swigs and more room to swirl, i well up a more distinct pumpkin aroma, more like allspice-esque aroma, its fleeting though

T - taste is metallic, with added spices that dont really amass to pumpkin, theres an earthy note, very surprised this isnt very good

M&D - metallic, sharp, i am very surprised and disappointed, i think i will try another bottle another day, Smuttynose knows how to make good beer

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours dark orange with small white head. Too subtle in scent: faint pumpkin and spice. Flavors of pumpkin, orange rind, spices through to the finish, almost salty toward the end. Medium bodied with zesty carbonation. A fall seasonal that is worth getting once a year but leave it at that.

2.35/5  rDev -35.8%

I'd go through the whole A S T M D thing, but I'm not going to waste my time.

This is easily the 1st Smuttynose beer I had a hard time drinking. I only drank it because I just came back from a jog on a warm sunny day and was totally in the mood for a beer.

I was hoping for some pumpkin flavor. What I got instead was kind of like liquid pumpkin pie.

The difference you ask? Pumpkin tastes great. Pumpkin pie spice blends are overpowering. I love the spices individually, as well as blended, but I almost always feel the spice blend is too far in the forefront of the flavor profile and too overwhelming.

I feel this way about this beer. It was hoppier than I had hoped. It's like a mild IPA meets pumpkin pie spice blend. The subtle flavor of pumpkin would do better with a wheat or pilsner base, I feel. In fact, I may try to brew one with that base, but that's a different BA department...

In short, if you like the pumpkin pie spice blend, you'll like this beer. It is a fantastic representation for this class of beer if that's the ideal flavor profile.

However, if you like the subtle sweet and earthy taste of pumpkin, you won't like this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Copper colored beer with nice head and lacing
smells like pumpkin, spices, definitely some aromatic hops more than expected
Wow, perfect balance of spice-sweet, pumpkin-hops, this is very good. A little to bitter for a pumpkin ale, but without a doubt the most balanced pumpkin ale on the market.
mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied
drinkability is high because none of the flavors are overwhelming

While I thought this could have been more interesting, definitely one of the best pumpkin beers on the market.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Aroma was of pumpkin pie spices. Cinn, nutmeg, etc.

Looked sort of orange. Poor head retention, but left some lace.

Taste was pumpkin pie spices with a lot of hoppy bitterness. I have never had a pumpkin ale with so much hop bitterness before. It was an interesting interpretation of a pumpkin ale.

Medium bodied, avg carbonation.

Overall, I think it was OK. I would have preferred less hop influence in this type of beer, I guess I just didn't get what they were going for... or why they were going for it. I really like the other beers that they do though.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy copper color with small white head that fades quickly, but still leaves some small lacing on the glass.

S: Smells just like pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, clove and cinnimon. Some hops as well.

T: Big pumpkin flavor upfront. Some cinnimon and spices. Bready malt and carmel. Followed by a big blast of citrus hops. This is a really hoppy pumpkin ale.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

D: This is a very good pumpkin ale, definitely the hoppiest one I've tried. But there is something about the mixture of pumpkin, spices, and big citrus flavors from the hops, that doesn't seem quite right. Not to say that its bad, but it's not as drinkable for me as some other pumpkin ales.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A medium amber orange color with a nice one finger white head. Nice full glass lacing.

S: Spice, pumpkin, earthy hops and malt sweetness.

T: This beer was just perfect for a pumpkin beer. The nutmeg, cinnamon spice was very subdued and let the pumpkin and squash flavors really shine throughout the beer. The malt sweetness stays in check with a large amount of grassy earthy hops on the finish which yields a real nice bitter finish. Great pumpkin beer that really showcases the pumpkin with the help of some nice hops. Probably the hoppiest pumpkin I have ever had.

M: Medium, and very dry at the finish. No alcohol flavor.

D: High, very nice drinkable pumpkin beer.

Overall this is a real nice pumpkin beer that was different from all the rest. Most pumpkin beers rely on heavy spice to carry the flavor, but this one the spice just compliments the pumpkin and allows the pumpkin to be the showcase. Very nice beer, I loved it.

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company