Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Gorgeous to behold with a beautiful cloudy light orange color. Really hazy. Has a decent foamy head that ends up dissipating rather quickly.

Spicy pumpkin smell -- exactly as expected. Some sweet hops come through in the aroma. Very enticing; reminds me of the fall.

Has a lovely malty flavor with not only the requisite pumpkin pie spice, but some hints of fruit as well (peach? apricot?). Has an intricate fruit/spice mixture. Almost no hops, but a nice spicy aftertaste.

Medium thickness. It seems slightly bubbly, although that might just be the spices kicking me. It's really an excellent autumnal beer. Malty with the pumpkin spice that is perfect for its season.

williamherbert, Feb 06, 2007
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Notes from 11/06

A standard head that disolves into a multicolored oil slick atop the pint glass. Hazy orange body with plenty of residual yeast that we'll just let sleep peacefully for the moment.

Extra nutmeg in this one, along with a really dusty blend of ground ginger, cinnamon, & all spice. Fresh pumpkin might be here, but with everything being mashed together, its individual characteristics illude me.

Ginger is very evident in the first gulp. A baked mouthfeel, with a nice brush of hops running it down. Otherwise, it tastes almost exactly like it smells. Everything melds very comfortably, even the strong carbonation. I enjoyed it more chilled, as the warmth made the bitterness uneven.

A good seasonal to drink once before dinner or with dessert. Not heavy, but still challenging all by itself if your not a fanatic of the style. If you envision gorging yourself on pecan pie all evening, then you might as well indulge in a few of these too. :)

PEBKAC, Jan 25, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a light pumpkin orange in the glass with a nice offwhite head that melts to only a slightly sticky ring of lacing.
Aromas of fresh pumpkin pie spices...a lot of P-beers smell sort of powdery...this one doesn't..the cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and pumpkin all smell fresh.
Taste is also remarkable fresh...nothing powdery or too sweet. Spices are actually slightly biting...very nice. Pumpkin flavors seem to come from fresh meat pumpkin just roasted.
Mouthfeel is sufficient for style.
I enjoy Smuttynose's take on the Pumpkin Beer style a lot.
Excellent.

IntriqKen, Jan 06, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a hazy orange-amber color with initial large white puffy head that showed little retentive powers.
Smell is typical of a pumpkin ale with strong notes of cloves, cinammon, anf nutmeg.
Taste matches the smell with nice pumpkin spice tones.
Finish is a bit sweet which is a nice ending to the beer.
Good drinkability. One of the better beers of this style.

tgbljb, Dec 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

This was the first pumpkin ale I've tried, and it's gonna be hard to compare the rest to. It pours an orangish color, with a small head. It smells of spices, and nutmeg. You can definitely taste the spices, and the pumpkins hits you in the aftertaste. An overall, great beer for the fall months!

Treebrews, Dec 18, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Not a huge fan of this style, but this is a solid one.

Pours a hazy orange, maybe due to the pumpkin pureé that's listed on the bottle. A good amount of foam on the pour, that sticks around in some form.

Smells like spice, nutmeg, but not much pumpkin.

Taste is well rounded, some balanced spice and malt with a pumpkin appearing in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium, not bad at all. Worth sessioning in the autumn months.

emerge077, Dec 06, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The Liquid is a copper color with good carbonation. The head is 2 fingers fluffy and leaves Big lace.

The smell is Spicy nutmeg

The taste follows, mostly spice and some pumpkin like malt.

The mouthfeel is good but uneventful, nice carbonation and a medium body.

The drinkability is good this is one of the better pumpkins.

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 28, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy pumpkin (of course!) color with a melted marshmallow head that leaves scads of dripping sweetness on top of the liquid (er, pie)

Smell: Interesting blend of pumpkin, pie spice (allspice and nutmeg) and hop aromatics

Taste: Starts with an initial prickly blast of the more bitter pie spices (allspice and nutmeg) which are joined by a subtle pumpkin flavor; after the swallow, the hops make an appearance and are joined by just a hint of the spicy cinnamon sweetness; the finish is nuanced toward the bitter herbal elements

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: One of the more intriguing pumpkins out there; I like the bitter flavors but prefer a sweeter profile for the style

Thanks, LittleBreeze, for the opportunity

brentk56, Nov 23, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Enjoyed on tap at the Stone Church Music Club in Newmarket, NH

A great seasonal beer.. and I typically hate pumpkin beers. Pours amber with a beige head. Smells like a pumpkin pie: pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.. maybe a little clove. Has a nice pumpkin pie taste but with hop character that reminds you its a beer. The hops-meets-pumpkin pie taste has to be tried to understand. Admittedly, hops flavor in a pumpkin pie would probably be booed on thanksgiving. It worsk though, trust me. Slight carbonation and quite drinkable. Would have had more if I could have. My favorite pumpkin beer.. well the only one I've liked. Its worth a try even if you're not into this type of beer.

mattf311, Nov 20, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer pours a hazy orange color with a nice, white head. Nice lacing as well. The smell is of all-spice, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Basically, a faint pumpkin pie.

There was a very nice taste to this beer. Some pumpkin ales try to knock you over the head with that "pumpkin pie" flavor, but this one is much more subdued and pleasant. There are caramel malt, and a slight hop bitterness to the faint pumpkin pie flavor that was apparent in the smell. Mouthfeel was full and chewy. This is one pumpkin ale you have have a few of, as it's not overly sweet or spicy. A well-balanced brew in a genre that sometimes goes overboard.

BBM, Nov 10, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my Hyland Farmhouse pint glass.
Hazy light amber body with a very pronounced 2 finger off white head. Great retention on the head. Lots of large fluffy bubbles. Thick, streaky lacing.
Immediate nose of pumpkin pie and spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon and a murky fruitness.
Pumpkiney on the tongue, but with a definate hoppy bitterness. Maltiness is balanced by the bitterness. Pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, etc) makes itself known again. A bit hoppier than some of the pumpkin beers I've tried.
Medium mouthfeel, seems to get a bit bigger as the beer warms.
All in all, a nice pumpkin ale. Not the biggest in terms of drinkability, but still a nice autumn offering. Would be great with some pumpking pie (duh) to cut some of the bitterness. But that's just me.

Brewfan, Nov 09, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This is my favorite pumkpin ale!

A - Light and orange, slightly cloudy
S - Pleasant and clean
T - Good malt start with barely detectable pumpkin, then good spice flavors (cinnamon and nutmeg) followed by citrusy hop flavor and bitterness.
M - Soo smooth

Hops are more intense than most pumpkins. Hop flavor is wonderfully complex and not overpowering. Cleanest taste and aroma of the 3 pumpkins I've tried this year. This beer is a winner!

ArtD, Nov 08, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Poured a nice pumpkin orange, slightly hazy with at one finger white head that will linger and give a little lacing

S - spicey and "herby" I can't smell any pumpkin or roasted pumpkin though

T - I can taste a lot of cinnamon, nutmeg maybe some allspice but the pumpkin is hard to notice. This beer finishes a little bitter and that bitter flavor will linger for a while on your tongue. I would have rather this finished sweet.

M - this is good the perfect level of carbonation and it is just heavy enough.

D - again this is ranks high, had it been a bit sweeter it would have tasted better but would have had lower drinkability. As it is this beer is very drinkable

fank2788, Nov 05, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

popping my cherry on pumpkin ales here. pours kind of hazy, (slightly orangey?). smells of nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. my first sip was slightly overwhelming with the spice but after one or two sips i got acclimated to the taste and was really pleased with the flavor. definitly feel that pumpkin pie vibe. would like to try other pumpkin ales for comparison but from what i've read, smuttynose hit this right on the head. its's a straight up real good classic pumpkin ale. yet another awesome beer from a brewery that seems to pump out awesome beers like it's their job

scarletfire79, Nov 05, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Lightly hazy orange copper brew with a small one finger of bubbly head, a bit of lacing will linger on the glass as the head subsides. Small amounts of tiny bubbles move slowly through the viscous brew.

S - Very strong allspice, nutmeg and ginger, milder cloves, cardamon, with a bit of light bodies malt. No descernable pumpkin.

T - Strong grassy hops and nutmeg, a bit of ginger, a faint sweet pumpkin (pumpkin meshed with a caramel malt I would suspect) with a very strong grassy bitter aftertaste. The bitter finish seems a little off for the style, but it is by no means terrible.

M - Absurdly thick and smooth. Pretty refreshing.

D - Alright, I would prefer this beer with out the bitter aftertaste. Then it would be mild and extremely quaffable, as it stands the bitterness is the only drawback to the flavor. Next season I will have to try again. A solid pumpkin, but not the best.

mrasskicktastic, Nov 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Into a pint glass it pours a cloudy orange with a small head that disappeared quickly, leaving a little bit of lace.

S: All the usual suspects (in order of appearance): cloves, allspice and nutmeg -- i.e., pumpkin pie.

T: Like it smells -- mainly allspice and cloves -- plus pumpkin, but it finishes with a metallic, minerally tang. At first I enjoyed this bitter finish, thinking it helped to balance the spiced aspect of the beer, but the more I drank it and that bitter metallic taste lingered in my mouth, the less I liked it.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D: Admittedly, I'm not a fan of spiced and/or fruity beers in general, so your mileage may vary. But I found that metallic bitter aftertaste to significantly impair its drinkability. The first few sips actually made me think "I kinda like this beer" but towards the end I was really turned off by that aftertaste and was thinking that it would have benefitted from a milder bitterness that allowed the fruit and spices to linger on the tongue more.

All in all, I think this beer is OK. I wouldn't order it or buy it again, but if you like the style, you may like the Smuttynose version.

Kendo, Nov 03, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured an orange color with a white head that left bits of lacing and remained throughout. Smell of pumpkin rind, pumpkin spice, and I think a bit of clove. Taste seems lighter than the nose, there is the taste of pumpkin rind, and some of the pumpkin spice, but seems pretty subdued; nutmeg is what dominates the taste, but thankfully it's not too overpowering. Medium carbonation, and lighter side of medium bodied. Pretty solid beer for the fall, but I think one will do. Worth a try.

badbeer, Oct 30, 2006

Okay, well, it's October and Halloween is a few days away and, well, it's pumpkin season adnd all that other stuff...and Smuttynose is probably my favorite brewery on the East Coast. Sooo, I bought a sixer of this pumpkin ale to go along with my girlfriend and I's stuffed pumpkin dinner. I have to admit, first off, that I am not a huge pumpkin fan. Nor am I a fan of any of the alleged "autumn spices", especially in beer. So, here goes nothing!

Poured a hazy golden orange with a great creamy head that stuck around for the long haul. Decent lacing to be noted as well.

Smelled of ridiculous amounts of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar, and all them other spices that go along with autumn. Smelled like sweet pumpkin pie.

Taste is HUGE on nutmeg and cinnamon. Ends a bit hoppy but is overridden by the nutmeg, cinamon, pumpkin, and all the other spices to be found in this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated, but not overly done.

Drinkabilty is hugely subjective when it comes to this brew. Not that it isn't any other time, but with this beer, you probably need more than just an affinity for beer. You need a pre-positive disposition towards pumpkin pie and the autumn spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. I can see someone who is into all them kind of flavors to really enjoy this beer, but I just cannot get into it at all. I have a hard time finishing just a single 12oz. serving.

I have to admit, I shouldn't even be reviewing this beer btu am doing so for my own records. This may be the best pumpkin ale I have tried to date but I am, in no way at all, a fan. A simple sip is more than enough for me.

2010 EDIT: I have come around to enjoy pumpkin beers a little more and this beer is GREAT example of the syle. Sorry Smutty!

Doomcifer, Oct 29, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -12%

12oz bottle poured cold into US-sized pint glass. Best before Feb 07 (check). Beer pours amber halfway between orange and yellow-gold. Just slightly cloudy. It pours with a big, frothy off-white head which suspends big bubbles and slowly falls.

Aroma is of cinnamon and a hint of clove with that pumpkin pie spice essence. First sip is smooth and creamy and only slightly fizzy. Tastes like pumpkins? Sure, why not. It has a nice warming quality too it, warm spices.

Alcohol content doesn't appear to be printed on the label or the box, but doesn't taste to be anything above normal.

Pumpkin beer is hard to do well. Pumpkin is difficult to work with, and getting the flavor into a beer requires additional spicing, and the end result can easily be really gross. Now let me say I don't have any problem with putting fruits and vegetables in beer if the end result is good. I didn't expect much from Blue Moon, but even Dogfish Head's and Brooklyn's (a couple of my favorite breweries) pumpkin offerings were disappointing when I tried them. My current favorite is Cambridge Brewing Company's great pumpkin ale. Thinking back a few years to my days on Long Island, I remember really liking the pumpkin at the Brick House in Patchogue, and the one at the Publick House in Southampton was supposed to be really good.

Getting back on topic, this beer is right in the middle of the others. It's not sickly sweet or otherwise offensive; on the whole I think it has a nice bitterness and a pleasant body. But it's still a gimmick, and it doesn't execute that gimmick well enough to be an every day drinking beer, not even just for October.

hreb, Oct 21, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Brew pours to a hazy golden color with orange highlights a medium sized white head that breaks down somewhat quickly but does leave a nice film and lacing. A very aromatic brew, notice a sweet scent mixed with spices, picking up a fair amount of nutmeg and cinnamon. Has a very nice spiciness to it, more spicy than the other Pumpkin brews I have had but not in a bad way. Over all I really pick up a good amount of bitterness at the tail end, which seems to bring things together pretty good. This is a good seasonal brew, not sure if I would want more than one in one setting but it is nice and its tastes does remind me of the fall.

Stimack, Oct 19, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

My brother-in-law, who is a local distributor got this one in a couple years ago, and has been up my arse the whole time to give it a try. SO here you go Aaron

Appearance: When it poured into my glass it headed right up, which was a nice sight to see. And the cream colored head lasted for a good while before dissipating to an adequate lace. The brew had a dark orange hue, slightly clouded, with minute chunks floating around. I hope they were supposed to be there.

Smell: Exceptionally fragrant. Lemon, orange, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove were detected by my untrained senses. I spent a good 5 minutes just taking in the aroma of my first one.

Taste: Superb. Just enough spice, sweet, and tang, to make it enjoyable, but not so much as to be undrinkable past 1 or 2.

Mouth feel: Smooth. Not to heavy feeling but not watery either. Just right. Oh did I mention smooth?

Drinkability: This is most definitely a session beer for me. I drank a six, and then wanted some more. But it was to late to get more. (I mean for my non-drinking wife to get me more.) I would never Drink and Drive.

And just for the record, before you gloat Aaron, even a broken watch is right twice a day!

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

bossmanjg, Oct 18, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thank you to bwyker for trading this beer to me. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a red hued orange coloration. Little bits of sediment float in the beer. The head was a short lived biege coloration. A thin sheen of lacing remains on my beer glass.

Smell: This beer smells really good. The spice compliment of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves shine above the fruity ester of pumpkins.

Taste: The beer delivers on the fare of spices. The beer has suggestions of pumpkin playing around the flavor. The beer has a very sharp bitterness at the back end of the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer has a medium body with moderate carbonation. The beer has a bit of a sharp bitterness that gives the beer a prematurely dry feel. One of these is fine in an evening. I wouldnt turn my nose up at more of this beer; however, I would probably only have one a night.

nlmartin, Oct 18, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange in color with a white rocky head after a hard pour. Aroma of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and a hint of vanilla. The mouthfeel is thin yet very carbonated. Pumpkin flavor with a decent malt background to it starts things off. Nutmeg overshadows the subtle hint of cinnamon in the background. Assertive hoppiness for a pumpkin ale. Bitterness squashes any kind of malt sweetness that may have been. As a result the finish tends to be somewhat dry.

Typical pumpkin ale. You could do worse, but Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is, dare I say classic for the style? If you're a fan of pumpkin beers than this one is worth trying. Probably not my favorite, but a decent one at that.

Winter, Oct 17, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

A- 1/4" white head. Light cloudy orange color.
S-Nutmeg, cinnimon, pumpkin, and a bunch more spices I can't pinpoint.
T- The spices come through quite a lot. Pumpkin flavors are also upfront along with the spices. Can't really pinpoint the spices since it is my first Pumpkin beer (besides Buffalo Bills). The aftertaste is quite a bit of pumpkin also. The spices are also still there but not near as strong as while drinking it. Seems like the pumpkin takes front chair during the aftertaste.
S-Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- It is good but don't think it's what I was thinking of with my pumpkin pie beer. It does have a lot of the flavor I just want a bigger body and a bit different flavors.

BlindPig, Oct 16, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

This is probably the best pumpkin ale I have had to date. Poured a cloudy medium orange colour with a monstrous craggy white head that left big, sticky lacing on the edges of my glass. Little bits of sediment (presumably spices) floating about. Smell is very spicy. Almost reminded me of one of those sented candles from Yankee Candle Co. Easily the strongest and best smelling pumpkin ale I have had. Medium pumpkin pie taste at first, bitterness in the middle, and then a nice "festive" tasting finish. Delicious, indeed!! Mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I was hoping for. Everything else was great with this one! Thanks go out to jwc215 for tossing a few of these in on a trade.

SilentSabre, Oct 15, 2006