Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.84% ABV

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 08-28-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Has a nice dark amber(almost pumpkin orange:)) color. Head was pretty thick and left some nice lacing.
Odor is spicy as one would expect from a pumpkin beer. Cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg.
Taste begins with a hint of floral and goes into spice. Ends with some spice(cinnamon lingers after). Has a pretty nice progression throughout. Mouth feel is crisp and carbonated. It has some weight that covers your tongue well.
Overall a solid pumpkin beer. It does not over do it with pumpkin nor spice.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle from the Potsdam NY IGA for 2.75$

Appearance - Hazy copper colour with an average size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes.

Smell - Malts, cloves, all spice, pumpkin

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and lots of all-spice/clove. There is also some pumpkin, but not as much as I expected and a graininess. It ends with a spicy clove aftertaste.

Overall - I'd like touch more sweetness and a touch less clove. Still a good beer that is well worth trying. I'd reach for something else next time though.

Photo of
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

A: A deep cloudy gold with one finger of white head. The head stays for the whole beer and leave a nice lacing as you finish the beer. There is a constant stream of carbonation but the beer doesn't feel overly carbonated.

S: Doesn't seem to give off a lot of aroma.

T: You can definitely taste the pumpkin spice but unlike some other pumpkin beers I've tried this is not overly sweet.

M: I wouldn't describe it as very creamy as some have done but there is a smooth mouthfeel. As stated above,while there is noticeable carbonation it does not impact the mouthfeel.

O: I will never be a big pumpkin fan but this is one of the better one, in my opinion, that I've tried. I think it will work well with milder foods or a cool evening on the deck.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked up a sixpack of this from Consumer Beverages in Orchard Park, NY about three weeks ago. It didn't feel right to open them just yet, but I knew I would eventually want one, so I've been waiting patiently until today! Happy first day of fall, BA!

Poured into a Bell's glass, because sadly, I do not as of yet have a Smuttynose glass. Caramel-amber in colour, like the baked maple squash I'll be making in two weeks for Canuckian Thanksgiving. Somewhat murky, and with a thin head of foam that displays terrific retention. Lots of lacing as well. Great looking brew.

Nose is pumpkin puree, a bit of sugar and cinnamon (though the overall sensation is far from sweet), clove and mild citrus hops.

Tasty autumn brew indeed, though I must say that the pumpkin flavour is a bit more subdued than in the nose. No matter; the brew is unmistakably suitable for the season, with pumpkin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a nice hop bitterness to cleanse the palate. Becomes more pumpkin-like as it warms. Medium bodied, slightly creamy, mild carbonation.

Highly drinkable pumpkin ale, that simultaneously covers one's hankerings for "pumpkin" and "fall" beers. Glad I picked up a few to supplement my already substantial pumpkin beer list.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

I stopped by my favorite distributor today with the intent of buying a case of my now everyday beer, Smuttynose IPA "Finestkind", and I spied their Pumpkin Ale and decided to give it a try instead. I have tasted two other pumpkin ales in the past (Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale and Springhouse Brraains) which were both excellent, but remarkably different in charachter; it was only natural that I would want to try a Smutty.

A-A tad orange, but not as appealing as the others I have tried. Decent head retention and lacing.

S-Pumpkin, clove

T-Pumpkin, spices, noticeably more hop bite in the afteraste (absent from other pumpkin ales that I have tried) which was a pleasant suprise due to the fact that I love IPA.

M-A bit of a letdown here. Not as much body as others that I have tried.

O-I am glad that I picked this up. This is not my favorite pumpkin ale, but it is very good, sessionable, and as with all Smuttynose brews I have tried, a good value.. I will be interested to see what my wife thinks of it.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%