Smuttynose Kolsch (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Kolsch (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Kolsch (Big Beer Series)

1 Rating

pDev: 0%
Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Kölsch |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 10-23-2003)
3.1/5  rDev 0%

I found a bomber of this up at Luke's Liquors in Brewster, MA. I figured it wasn't good, as they haven't made it in a couple years, but i got it for the label.
Before cracking, I noticed the beer had a LOT of yeasty sediment chunks floating around. It had just gotten through with a three hour car ride, so I let it settle for a few days. It settled, and I tentatively poured myself a pint. A slightly hazy pale golden amber, topped with a thin swirl of mist and a couple large bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Retains a very light ring through most of the pint, dying out completely with about an inch of beer to go.
The aroma is only mildly oxodized. I'm very surprised, as this isn't an ageable style by any means. A light, toasty crystal maltiness, with a moderate yeasty bready aroma. Some very light pear and grape, with only a shadow of herbal hopping.
The flavor is definitely aged. Some mild oxodization, much, much less than i expected. Very smooth, with soft carbonation. Mild toasty maltiness up front, traveling into a yeasty breadiness, with some light esters in the middle. A bit of pear and grape. The bready flavor continues into the finish, where aged, diminished hopping is barely percieved, yet still retains a pleasant herbal flavor, yet adds little bittering. The finish is a bit cardboardy, with a bready aftertaste. Some light graininess comes through towards the end after the beer warms a bit.
I'm amazed at how this beer held up over time. The bottle couldn't have been younger than 2-3 years, and it was palatable. If I didn't really recognize the flavors and characteristics of oxodization, I would have thought it was brewed last spring, where, if it was any other kolsch, probably would have tasted much the same. The hops certainly suffered from the age, but the malt held up nicely. This must be an incredible kolsch when fresh. I'd like to see them brew it again. I poured the remaining beer out after 16 oz, since it was looking rather scary with all the clumpy sediment churned up. Well worth my money, even if it was a bit old.

UnionMade, Oct 23, 2003
Smuttynose Kolsch (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.