Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

to view more.
Ratings: 4,596 | Reviews: 1,740
4.49/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy, yet not as bitter as most IPAs. Very tasty and smooth.

This is by far and away my favorite IPA!

Has a nice citrus flowery taste, an overall great beer.

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle into a nonic, slight head which doesn't abide but nice lacing. Smells clean and sharp, the hops right out front. I don't recognize the hops but they are very nice, lemon and floral, pleasantly sharp-bitter and not overdone. Good carbonation, maybe a little much to my taste but it plays well against the hoppiness. Solid IPA, wouldn't hesitate to order out if I saw it on the menu - as I often do and I often do.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A classic that I remember from my earlier craft-drinking days. How does it stack up now, given that I'm not a well-versed hop-head. Here goes:

A: Pours a cloudy orange-yellow. Very dark and hazy and not very pretty to look at. However, the carbonation is superb and so is the head. Lacing could be better, however.

S: Very floral and fruity. Lots of grass, lemon, grapefruit, oranges, and herbs. This IPA is more on the floral/fruity side than the sticky piney side.

T: Follows the nose. Lots of fruit in the taste, especially lemon and orange. Caramel malt also evens out the hops somewhat. A good beer, but at this stage in my craft career I'm looking for something a little more robust.

F: Good. Thick and well-carbonated.

O: A solid beer. Probably won't have again, however. Due for an "update," perhaps.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lighter than expected golden body capped by a rampant foamy head that leaves sheaves of lacing. Smells of earthy, piny and citrus hops, faint biscuit. Okay smell. Taste is creamy with a nice hefty bite of orange and grapefruit pith, pine resin and something earthy and floral. Very very flavorful beer. Hop bite is ample and refreshing. Medium body as noted is creamy with almost perfect carbonation. This beer starts off slowly with appearance and smell but is a resoundingly solid and tasty brew which is really what counts. Love the two old goats in the artwork too. Clearly the burly flanneled woodsman on the right is me in 20-50 years..

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not great. Blan no flavor

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good solid beer but I've had so many IPA's that I like better than this one.

I'm not a fan of IPAs, but I decided to try them again. Or this one. Because I am a fan of Smuttynose. When did everyone go hoppy anyways? Is there some kind of herbal buzz? Or is it just xtreme drinking, dude. Anyways, there's really nothing off-putting about this beer. It's solid and strong and bitter and I'd drink it again, and that's saying a lot since I'm not a fan of IPAs.

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a pale gold with a slight chill haze. Bone white head. Smells of orange, grapefruit, and cracker grain. Tastes of crisp malt, mandarin, kumquat, yuzu. There's a very solid balancing bitterness. Dry finish. Mouthfeel is light and has lively carbonation. This is an awesome IPA.

Solid ipa. Not overly hoppy or malty. Bottled from TJs.

4.88/5  rDev +19%

The hops in this beer are so delicately balanced with the inherent sweetness, they result in a silky, savory experience that we quite enjoyed. Very well done, Smuttynose.

4.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Excellent, extremelly perfect beer A+

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden hue. Delicious citrusy scent with a light hoppy smell, definitely taste the citrus notes, also has a decent about of bitterness and slight hoppiness. Smooth taste going down not syrupy or off. Good beer.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

my go to beer is goose island ipa, this is a notch or two above, wish it was cheap enough for my new go to.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oh my god, this is wonderful. It's right there with Cigar City Jai Alai as a new favorite!

In my humble opinion, Smuttynose's Finest Kind IPA is one of the best IPA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I work very hard, 40+ hours a week, and I'm up at 5am to be at work on time. That being said, if I have the money, I'm buying a six-pack of Finest Kind after work every day and drinking the entire thing over the course of a few hours. Now, I'm not an alcoholic in any way, but I sure as hell am addicted to Finest Kind. It is the epitome of what an IPA should be like. Not to mention that when I wake up in the morning, I'm not hungover at all. Now that's what good beer is all about: enjoyment, satisfaction, and the feeling of being rewarded. Absolutely love it.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy medium orange with a soapy white 1/2 in. head. High carbonation.
S: Pine, orange rind, grapefruit, passion fruit.
T: Bold hop flavors start off and give qualities of orange, grapefruit, and soapyness. Decent malt backbone. Ends with a hop bitterness akin to grapefruit rind.
M: Light-medium.
O: Good flavor and bitterness, but could use a little more fruitiness.

2.69/5  rDev -34.4%

Possibly got a bad batch, just wasnt good.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Best by 7/7/15. Poured 3/2/15 into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. My first from Smuttynose, a brewery that I believe is pretty new to Michigan. I've heard great things about this beer (and the brewery in general), so I picked this up.

Appearance: Pretty traditional IPA color -- a golden orange color with some hop haze. There's a quarter finger of a creamy head on top.

Smell: It smells decidedly like an IPA, but it's not the hoppiest one I've smelled -- there's some good balance in there. What I'm picking up is an aroma hard to describe... I think it may be the yeast, but it's a sort of vetiver aroma on the back end of the smell for me. Overlying that is a nondescript kind of citrus aroma. A lot of people seem to be mentioning grapefruit specifically, but I just get citrus. Of course, I also get a nice caramel and possibly crystal malt aroma as well. Not overwhelmingly hoppy for an IPA.

Taste/feel: Not a palate breaker at all, and actually pretty well balanced. Citrus hops with a trace of spiciness and sweet malt... excellent finish on this one. There's definitely a nice IPA bitterness at the end, but it's not as extreme as some. An actually very easy drinking IPA that has an "I could session this" sort of vibe, even at 7%. That's not to necessarily say it tastes like a "lite" IPA, but it doesn't hit as hard as most IPAs do at 7%. The mouthfeel contributes to that sesnation: this has a pretty high prickling carbonation with maybe a medium body.

Something about this beer is distinctively Finest Kind, to me. That vetiver-ish aroma and slight flavor is something I've not experienced in any other beer. I'm not sure I love that, but it makes it something definitely unique and something I could definitely pick out of a line. Couple that "one of a kind" flavor with its incredible drinkability, and I can see why this beer is loved by so many.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptionally aromatic on the nose. Drink is a bit less hoppy than was expected. Great beer!

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle is 1.5 months old at this point.

Pours a clear golden orange with a smaller white head.

Comes across citrusy, herbaceous, and floral as far as hops with toasty bready and caramel malt. Already seems passed it's prime compared to other reviews.

Prominent bitterness but a fairly balanced IPA at this point concerning the flavors of hop and malt.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours a nice clear gold with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Pine, resin, citrus, and herbal hops, light cracker malt

Taste: More pine, resin, citrus, and herbal hops with cracker malts. Not too bitter, crisp and refreshing, a very drinkable IPA

Feel: Light to medium body, good carbonation

Overall: A very good brew, would gladly drink again. Worthy of the name

4.84/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My Wife and I took a tour of the new state-of-the-art Smuttynose Brewery on Towle Farm Road in Hampton, New Hampshire on Labor Day this year. I highly recommend you take a tour of their new brewery and sample their fine beers.

just damn good, thirst quenching fortitude!

to view more.