1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
View: Beers (51) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,461 | Reviews: 1,624 | Show All Ratings:
Brew33

1.68/5  rDev -59.1%

I've had this beer multiple times and I don't know why I keep doing it to myself. A hazy golden amber pour. The aroma is poor to say the least. Astringent hops, chemicals, smells of hop over-extraction. The flavor is terrible. Extremely bitter. Resinous, biting bitterness, weak malt flavors struggle to make themselves known. Some grapefruit? Pine? Little complexity. A poor attempt at an ipa. Shocked people enjoy this so much.

Edit: I've tried to go back and edit this review as it almost doesn't seem fair to give it an F but I can't change a thing. This beer is awful.

02-04-2011 16:42:43 | More by Brew33
OMGTheyKilkenny

Connecticut

1.73/5  rDev -57.9%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear amber. Grayish off-white head, some lacing.

S- Not much to smell. Some bready malts, a bit of spicy hop, but I’m being generous. Basically smells like a Coors Light.

T- Bitter moreso than truly hoppy. Very little malt to back up the bite. The aftertaste is so sour it’s patently offensive. Tastes skunked. Not sure if that’s the alcohol I’m tasting, but I hope so.

MF- Medium carbonation. Fairly robust body coats the mouth, which unfortunately lets the flavor linger.

D- Not drinkable. It’s not too heavy, it just tastes like failure. While I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "hop head," I've had and enjoyed hoppier beers than this. This is my review after trying two of these. I realize my review differs greatly from others. Hoping I just got bad six pack.

06-30-2012 21:44:22 | More by OMGTheyKilkenny
220emaple

2.15/5  rDev -47.7%

I was initially excited buying this beer due to all the enjoyment reviewed by fellow members, however, after I poured the ipa into my tulip and took a wiff and taste i was hihgly disapointed. It smelled similar to a german lager and tasted similar as well, except hoppier and fruitier. I can't explain why--- being the "drink by" date was 04/10. Maybe I just had one of those rare good beers that turned out bad who knows...wouldn't recommend from this tasting, yuck.

01-11-2010 02:39:53 | More by 220emaple
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.28/5  rDev -44.5%

I guess it's all what you are used too. Smuttynose is a great brewery and like all great brewer(ier)s the difference is well...the difference between this and that. If you know what I mean.

This beer is definitely a departure from other IPA's I've had. Heavy pine and citrus, so much so I really cannot detect anything else. This is defiantly a craft beer and it shows, but this is not my style at all. I am trying to be constructive in this analysis, but quite frankly, this beer is annoying me.

05-03-2005 22:31:25 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
PhillyStyle

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -44%

Best by July 2009.

Poured a nice light orange color with a really nice light white head that was well retained and provided nice lacing throughout the drink.

It gave off a nice hoppy aroma with some hints of pine and floral notes.

The beer started with a good hoppy flavor, but the beer finished with an unexpected metallic flavor that stayed with me long after the beer was gone. The aftertaste completely turned me off to the beer. I almost poured it out.

The beer had a medium body, it was smooth, but the drinkability took a huge hit with that bitter metallic aftertaste. I did not enjoy this one as much as expected given the rating. Also, the beer did not taste well with spicy food. Overall, given the rating I may try this beer again, but not for awhile.

03-09-2009 18:01:18 | More by PhillyStyle
aasher

Indiana

2.3/5  rDev -44%

This beer poured a light bodied fluorescent orange in color with a light white head that laced the glass. It smelled of attic must and Tang. It smelled dusty and was overly muted. The hops only gave off a slight citrusy aroma and there was no sweetness. The taste is overly bland too. All I got was light citrusy hops and dust. Booo! This was disappointing because of this beer's reputation. There just wasn't much to it. I ended up pouring out the last half because it wasn't worth drinking.

04-08-2011 14:33:27 | More by aasher
TheFightingMongooses

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

Freshness date of 4/22/13 on this one; poured into a tulip.

Appearance - Deep golden color with a slightly amber hue; solid one finger head takes a while to dissipate, some lacing.

Smell - The nose is very faint, nearly nonexistent. Seriously, what's the deal here? I get some faintly sweet biscuity malts mixed with grassy bitter hops, almost like a weak helles or German pilsner.

Taste - I get some malty sweetness followed by plenty of bitterness but with no hop flavor. This really tastes more and more like a pilsner as I keep drinking it

Mouthfeel - Medium body, sort of fluffy on the tongue. Not bad.

Overall - I'm disappointed for sure, but more than anything I'm confused. This does not taste like an IPA at all. I'm not a hophead, I often find even moderately hopped IPAs to be overbearing, but this has no hint of the citrusy, piney, floral flavors I was expecting.

fmccormi mentioned a four month freshness period for Smuttynose. If this is accurate, then something is definitely wrong with this one. I would not even expect an expired beer to have faded so much.

01-11-2013 01:15:15 | More by TheFightingMongooses
seedsofchaos

2.38/5  rDev -42.1%

Received as an extra from ubufan2112. Bottle marked best before April 2011.

At first pour in my glass the first thing that ran through my mind was, "Man, that's a great looking head!" Fluffy and nearly white it reminds me of cumulus clouds on a bright summer day. Head fades to nothingness quickly and unfortunately enough. Lacing is present but nothing fantastic. Let's see what this highly rated honey-hued bad boy tastes like.

First smell is a let-down. Very biscuity with no discernable hop aroma. A bit of caramel and toffee comes through behind a healthy dollop of beer skunkiness. Light struck? Tastes like it. Resinous pine bitterness permeates the mouth. I like pine in conjunction with other hops but this is overwhelming. Pine needles, grassy bitterness and skunk take centerstage with coriander, orange peel and grapefruit rind notes somewhere way in the back... I think to myself, this can't be how it's supposed to taste... Right?

Mouthfeel seems like it could be smooth enough but pine and bitter hold onto my mouth and astringency grips at my throat. Definitely not a beer that I would want more than one of... Ever... I sure hope this isn't the way the brewer intendedl

01-22-2011 21:41:37 | More by seedsofchaos
Longstaff

2.38/5  rDev -42.1%

I've had this beer over the years since the original release, and even though it has been drastically inconsistent in both bottle and draft format, I think its time to write this one off as inconsistency has seemed to just become consistent mediocrity in recent years. Light non-descript hop aroma mixes with sulfur. Somewhat astringent bitterness offset by a sweetish malt background that bored. No juicy, citrusy, grapefruit, or pine hop aroma or flavor it once had that made this beer interesting. Bet buy date notched May 2012, so this can't be that old. At $9.50 a six pack not worth the chance that it might actually be good to bother anymore.

01-03-2012 19:52:33 | More by Longstaff
DirtyPenny

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

The bottle shows two old men sitting in lawn chairs. By the flavor profile of this, I can only assume that they're unnecessarily bitter.

A: Yeugh. Lots and lots of little floaties. I know they aren't bad for me, but they still make for an ugly beer. Tall, pillowy white seafoam head crowns the top of this hazy honey-colored brew. Lots of lacing around the rim of the glass.

S: Hops. Grassy, piny and floral. A bit of malt.

T: The grain flavor of this is quickly washed out to sea by the hop flavors (same as nose), and the finish is bitter. If you've ever been to the beach and had a big wave run off with your swim trunks, that's a pretty good analogy. I think.

M: Carbonation is soft and minimal. Smooth and easy to chug. You'll need to because the bitterness gets worse as this beer warms.

O: Eh. I'll admit I'm not much of an IPA guy, and this doesn't do anything to change my mind.

07-22-2011 18:09:10 | More by DirtyPenny
DudleyRose

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

Very disappointed. Tried a sixer and then a very fresh 12-pack because I thought there must be something wrong with the sixer given an IPA rated this highly. The second batch was the same. So, what's the problem? The hop smell is very subdued, as is the taste. It's a good bitter IPA but without much in the way of aroma or flavor. Maybe I've been converted from this type of IPA by the likes of Flower Power, Sculpin, Racer 5, Hopdevil and a bunch of others.

08-08-2011 17:04:04 | More by DudleyRose
Mini4x

2.48/5  rDev -39.7%

I am not sure how this is rated 100. It has a very unbalanced bitterness. It's possible ai got a bad batch? It did improve slightly once poured into a glass versus directly from the bottle. As a lover of big IPA's this one was mildly disappointing.

09-22-2013 19:22:09 | More by Mini4x
jtierney89

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a big bright white head thats taking it's good old time receding. Getting a lot of tobacco and herbal hops on the nose. Very very grassy and earthy nose. Some barnyard smell as well. Stings the nostrils slightly. Head is ridiculously sticky.

Kind of thin in body, not your traditional flavors from an American IPA. Very earthy with an almost dirt flavor presence. Biscuity and grainy up front and herbal on the back end with a good deal of bitterness. Kind of like the meeting of an American IPA and an English IPA on my taste buds. Some citric fruit flavors are present with a lingering tartness.

Very wet and slick which would make it refreshing if it weren't for the building bitterness.

Eh, I dont have anything against the brewery itself I just honestly haven't found a beer from them that I've liked yet.

12-19-2011 03:37:43 | More by jtierney89
Higravity

2.53/5  rDev -38.4%

Bitter and grassy, that is the short review. Well it pours a nice yellowish body with a white head and some lacing. Smells of heavy bitter hops and a grassy lemon with some malt in the back end. Taste is really just bitter hops with some grassy tanic tang. Not enjoyable in the sense I would want to session this beer. No thanks and never again.

12-20-2005 16:03:41 | More by Higravity
jwjon1

Delaware

2.53/5  rDev -38.4%

Best by 5/26/13. Drank 2/24... a good 3 months yet till this beer is over the hill.

I think that's the problem. It's either already over the hill, or never had a floral hop presence in the first place. Yet, it's dry hopped. And many reviews suggest piney, citrus aromas. So it must be over the hill as all I can smell are sweet malts. Zero floral hops.

Bittering hops remain. Not resinous/oily at this point, only bitter. And a huge malt profile before, during, and after.

I don't get the hype on this one. I'm guessing I need to find a fresh bottle... problem is the six pack was labeled with "best by", and that date was way off. When was this bottled, anyway? I assumed having 3 months left till d-day meant this was pretty fresh, but I guess Smuttynose bottles six? twelve? months ahead of best by dates?

Peak IPA freshness is subjective, but come on brewers: take the guess work out of it and give us bottled on dates on the bottle!!!!

What a let down.

02-25-2013 02:20:00 | More by jwjon1
IrishRedRock

2.58/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours a very hazy peach color, fluffy sudsy head that retains well. Bitter tangerine aroma with some herbal tomato-vine hop notes. This is herbacious, whoa! Thin and citric sweet, carbonation is gentle. Lacks a real wallop of hop bitterness and has an herbal, soapy thing goin on in its place. Not a lot of malt to balance either. I'm a little let down by this one, as it lacks the balance and flavor that I've come to expect from this brewery.

11-08-2005 02:35:21 | More by IrishRedRock
Bugsey

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I found this to be a disappointment.
The appearance was poor, with too much stuff floating around.
Smelled like a typical IPA, very hoppy and resiny.
But the taste was somewhat soapy. The malt seems absent, and the hops have a taste of grapefuit and pine, but also kinda soapy.
Poor mouthfeel and drinkability.

07-05-2007 16:15:02 | More by Bugsey
hardy008

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy dark gold color with a white one finger head with nice retention. There are a lot of yeast particles floating in the beer, not very appealing.

The aroma has grapefruit peeling, pine, and grassy hops. The taste is just like the aroma, with grapefruit peeling, pine and grassy hops. There is a good amount of hop bitterness. Not very balanced. Not my favorite IPA.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation, and it finishes dry. Meh, not a big fan of this one.

09-02-2010 23:44:55 | More by hardy008
bpw28

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

Look: Three finger white head, hazy light orange, great retention, very nice lacing.

Smell: Big citrus, floral, light malt, bit of pine, bit of dough, peach, grapefruit.

Taste: Citrus, floral, pine, light malt backbone, the hops are very bitey, very light yeast.

Final Thoughts:Not for me. I can see how some hopheads like this one, but it's not even a good simplistic to me. It's like I'm drinking watered down hop juice, the hop bitter really ruins the IPA. Had it been something that I would have expected such from, I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the many other common offerings of Smuttynose, and this one is my least favorite. I like IPA's, but this one is little malt backbone, not very flavorful, and just hop bite. Tried it July 13th and the freshness is marked for Nov '11. Just not for me I suppose.

07-27-2011 17:27:04 | More by bpw28
legalpete19340

2.63/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I waited several weeks between tastings to verify my feelings because I know how highly rated this beer is, so this review is coming from two separate six packs and days.

A: Poured straw yellow with a bit of fizzy head which hung around a while.

S: If this were a blind smell, I would say this is a lager. The smell is almost void of hop character. It is a strong yeast and stale beer smell, almost sour sweetness with minimal piney dankness in the mix.

T: Some hop character appears here mostly in the form of wet grass. I get the flavor of lemon soapy water. There is some biscuit mixed in but the result is tough to drink.

M: Nothing abnormal here, medium and fizzy.

O: I wouldnt recommend this beer nor would I drink another. I dont find it to be an IPA because there is no hop profile or character. Perhaps its abstract APA trying to be extra earthy? It seems to lack a direction and the hops are missing, hallow or not in the correct proportion.

03-28-2011 03:40:15 | More by legalpete19340
eph

Arizona

2.65/5  rDev -35.5%

This beer came right off the tap from the Moan and Dove in Massachusetts. I have heard good things about it so I had high expectations. I have to say I was very disappointed by this brew. It was a golden/orange color with a slight white head. It had a very earthy/bitter aroma and an overly hoppy/bitter taste. No malt character, It was like grass in a blender if that makes sense. The aftertaste was much the same, and left more to be desired. Its light body and carbonation allow it to go down very easy but this taste was too off for my palate, I would stay away from this one.

05-29-2006 03:07:50 | More by eph
chilly460

2.65/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Pours a light straw-yellow color. Head is foamy with some decent lacing.

S: The aroma threw me for a loop. Smelled a lot like a yeasty, cheap American lager. Some sourness in there, not "vinegar" like it was infected, just sour. Double checked with a guy that's had it before, he stated that's the norm for this beer.

T: Spicey grass hops is all I can get. Burns the back of the throat, pure bitterness. No malt backbone to speak of.

M: A bit thin for the style, but acceptable.

O: Wow, I'd heard a lot of good things about this beer on BA. I can't say I agree, I choked down half a bottle and that's all I could stomach.

03-21-2011 22:37:37 | More by chilly460
Prostman81

2.65/5  rDev -35.5%

Bottle says enjoy before July 2011. Drank on 3/25/11.

The ratings on this one just don't seem deserved. I suppose it qualifies as an IPA on ABV alone, because the bottle I cracked open had almost no hop aroma, and even less hop flavor. Bitterness was barely perceptible. There wasn't any skunk aroma so I know the 'hops' weren't degraded by light. Drank this with a buddy who concurred on my tasting thoughts.

Very disappointed. I'm still scratching my head to see why this was rated so high. I've gotten more hop flavor and aroma out of SNPA (not to put SNPA down by any stretch).

03-29-2011 21:15:54 | More by Prostman81
ugaterrapin

Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured into a pint glass. The appearance is a hazy dark golden color with about a finger and a half of head. It has some nice lacing. There is a strong grapefruit and pine aroma. On first sip you get hit with a strong citrus hop attack. For some reason I am not a big fan. From the aroma to the taste, there is just something that doesn't sit well with me. It leaves an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. I tried this several months back and wasn't impressed and decided to give it another try and the results are the same. I love IPAs and hops galore. My only guess is that the bitter citrus flavor is what threw this beer off for me.

10-30-2009 02:06:22 | More by ugaterrapin
doppelmeup

2.78/5  rDev -32.4%

I have to say I was quite disappointed in this beer. Overall, I just didn't like it. Here is my review.

Golden honey in color, with some lace and just a modest head. The bottle contained quite a bit of very chunky sediment which was kind of surprising from a beer of this style.

Aromas of grapefruit but not much else.

Taste was pretty one dimensional, with grapefruity hops dominating. Quite bitter, but no malt flavor at all to balance it out.

The mouthfeel was the worst part of this beer for me. After the first swallow I had an oily, grainy aftertaste that didn't want to go away, even after full minute or two. Very dry finish, but just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, I was quite disappointed. I would not buy this again, as there are so many other IPAs on the market that I liked a lot better than this.

11-25-2008 04:49:40 | More by doppelmeup