Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -73.7%

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.68/5  rDev -59%

I've had this beer multiple times and I don't know why I keep doing it to myself. A hazy golden amber pour. The aroma is poor to say the least. Astringent hops, chemicals, smells of hop over-extraction. The flavor is terrible. Extremely bitter. Resinous, biting bitterness, weak malt flavors struggle to make themselves known. Some grapefruit? Pine? Little complexity. A poor attempt at an ipa. Shocked people enjoy this so much.

Edit: I've tried to go back and edit this review as it almost doesn't seem fair to give it an F but I can't change a thing. This beer is awful.

1.73/5  rDev -57.8%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear amber. Grayish off-white head, some lacing.

S- Not much to smell. Some bready malts, a bit of spicy hop, but I’m being generous. Basically smells like a Coors Light.

T- Bitter moreso than truly hoppy. Very little malt to back up the bite. The aftertaste is so sour it’s patently offensive. Tastes skunked. Not sure if that’s the alcohol I’m tasting, but I hope so.

MF- Medium carbonation. Fairly robust body coats the mouth, which unfortunately lets the flavor linger.

D- Not drinkable. It’s not too heavy, it just tastes like failure. While I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "hop head," I've had and enjoyed hoppier beers than this. This is my review after trying two of these. I realize my review differs greatly from others. Hoping I just got bad six pack.

2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

I was initially excited buying this beer due to all the enjoyment reviewed by fellow members, however, after I poured the ipa into my tulip and took a wiff and taste i was hihgly disapointed. It smelled similar to a german lager and tasted similar as well, except hoppier and fruitier. I can't explain why--- being the "drink by" date was 04/10. Maybe I just had one of those rare good beers that turned out bad who knows...wouldn't recommend from this tasting, yuck.

2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.28/5  rDev -44.4%

I guess it's all what you are used too. Smuttynose is a great brewery and like all great brewer(ier)s the difference is well...the difference between this and that. If you know what I mean.

This beer is definitely a departure from other IPA's I've had. Heavy pine and citrus, so much so I really cannot detect anything else. This is defiantly a craft beer and it shows, but this is not my style at all. I am trying to be constructive in this analysis, but quite frankly, this beer is annoying me.

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

Best by July 2009.

Poured a nice light orange color with a really nice light white head that was well retained and provided nice lacing throughout the drink.

It gave off a nice hoppy aroma with some hints of pine and floral notes.

The beer started with a good hoppy flavor, but the beer finished with an unexpected metallic flavor that stayed with me long after the beer was gone. The aftertaste completely turned me off to the beer. I almost poured it out.

The beer had a medium body, it was smooth, but the drinkability took a huge hit with that bitter metallic aftertaste. I did not enjoy this one as much as expected given the rating. Also, the beer did not taste well with spicy food. Overall, given the rating I may try this beer again, but not for awhile.

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer poured a light bodied fluorescent orange in color with a light white head that laced the glass. It smelled of attic must and Tang. It smelled dusty and was overly muted. The hops only gave off a slight citrusy aroma and there was no sweetness. The taste is overly bland too. All I got was light citrusy hops and dust. Booo! This was disappointing because of this beer's reputation. There just wasn't much to it. I ended up pouring out the last half because it wasn't worth drinking.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company