Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,748 | Hads: 4,865
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Pale orange color, lighter than most IPAs. Small white head left only a later of bubbles. Coating of lacing on the glass. Clear body with lots of floaties.

Very nice aroma. Lots of grassy hops, with some pine. Hints of floral and citrus. Light clean malt underneath. Taste is grassy and earthy hops. Lingering bitterness. Light clean malt flavor underneath again. Not overly strong in my opinion but good.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Good drinkability. Not as sweet as many other IPAs so this one goes down a bit slower. A good drinker. Another good east coast IPA that has many similar flavor characteristics to Hop Wallop and Nugget Nectar. (659 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a light colored amber with a nice full bright white headskie. Hops are right on the nose, some citrus in there. Great hop load for an east coast IPA. I'm licking my lips. Malts are mellow, but balanced with a bit of a bite of their own. Goes down smooth and easy, worth drinking. (285 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

poured a slightly cloudy, medium peach color with moderate white puffy head. Some particulate matter in the glass. Head left nice lacing as it falls to a thin coating. Smell is loaded with hops, with the feeling of being in a pine forest with freshly cut grass at my feet smelling a freshly cut lemon. Tastes gives a strong bitterness that is very pleasurable on the tongue. Finish is more dryness that begs for another taste. Very enjoyable beer. (447 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle to pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice balanced frothy head, white, layed as if from heaven upon a deep golden body. Lacing is excellent and sticks to the glass... a lovely looking pale ale (lets face it, I prefer the looks of darker beers to begin with.)

Smell: Earthy, fresh, pine, grass hops. Toasted biscuit rounds out the aroma, with a touch of grapefruit and citrus rinds.

Taste: Lovely use of bittering hops. Laced (as if a drug) with floral and earthy hops. Toasted biscuit intermingles with citrus zest. The hops are the centerpiece of this beer, and are done to near perfection.

Mouthfeel: Great level of carbonation. Oily hop presence slickens the beer.

Drinkability: Maybe a sipping IPA, but no matters, could certainly drink a few of these.

Notes: My second product from Smuttynose, and I am once again pleased. A great brewery, a great beer, certainly is of the "finest kind." (937 characters)

Courtesy of bditty187.

Pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a one inch thick white head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves behind a nice webbing of lace.

Smell; piney hops, as well as some citruc oranges and grapefruit. This has a nice hint of malt in the nose to go along with the hops.

Taste; lots of pine and citric grapefruit hops hit you and first but are somewhat beat back by a nice malt presence. Not a big hop monster of an IPA due to the malts, which is kind of nice for a change. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly oily, with just enough carbonation for me. This is a very good IPA, that I hope to be able to get more of someday. (665 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

This is my 25th beer review...
A: Pours a golden yellow, slightly hazy color with a one inch white head. There is debris floating in the beer.
S: Oily, piney hops dominate the smell. Smells like a pine forrest.
T: Watery taste at first that disappears suddenly when you swallow. Hops come in with a bang at this point and dominate your taste buds. Grassy, piney, lemony hops are everywhere. Hops linger on the tongue for a long time after you swallow. Tastes really good if you love hops.
M: Goes down very smooth. Carbonation is good.
D: I hate to do it, but as good as this beer is, I can't give it too high scores for drinkability, the flavor just lingers too long. Though I would have one of these a night, I would not be able to drink more than one in a night. Oh well, nothings perfect. (797 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, golden hue with orange tones. A foamy, off-white head crowns the beer and retains very well. Lacing is adequate; a bit disappointing for such a hoppy beer.

Smell: Pungent, citrusy hops enliven the nostrils. Soft whiffs of flaky dough announce the malt presence. Mildly yeasty.

Taste: Powerful hop presence. Intensely piney. The hops seem to ooze sap. The malts, a faint whisper compared to the din of the hops, emerge in a nutty character. The hoppy bitterness rends apart the palate.

Mouthfeel: Nothing extraordinary. Light-to-medium-bodied, ample carbonation. Dry finish.

Drinkability: My taste buds are begging for mercy. The hops totally did a number on my palate. A fine, hoppy flavor, but bitterness exceeding my preference. Light and not filling, and probably worth having another. (829 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Pale straw yellow with an orange hue. Moderate head which disipates quickly. Lots of chunky yeasties sediment floating around. Looks decent.

Grassy hop smell with a tinge of citrus... alot of yeast in the aroma. Not very complex, but pleasant nonetheless.

Big hop taste... very fruity.... grapefruity... citrus... decent, but nothing too special.

Tight, puckering.... nice mouthfeel.

Extremely drinkable. Easy drinker that isnt TOO much of a slap to the palate... wish it was a bit more complex... but oh well. (522 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy, bright peachy in hue with an orange-gold infusion; the color is truly lovely and sunny. Sticky, pearl white colored head, very damn frothy; head retention was fair, the foam slowly faded to a chunky, soapy cap. A thin layer of foam lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well-organized. On the whole, this is a charming beer. It looks exactly like how I want an IPA to look.

The nose is not a hop monster. Is it supposed to be? Don’t know. I notice some marijuana, not a lot, maybe a misdemeanor’s worth. Lemon/citrus notes are in check, I do smell oranges with a side of cheddar cheese. I hate smelling cheesy hops but it is very restrained here. I can handle it. Pine trees finish the hop party. The malt escapes me, this happens often with IPAs. If the hops were louder and angrier I wouldn’t care as much but I need some malt in this nose. The bouquet has a grimy, earthy, hardnosed vibe about it. If a heavy citrus nose are sissy this IPA is a bully without much brains. Inviting but it is not saying much. I got the feeling this beer will not be a puncher, maybe weak-armed boxer.

It is not a puncher. The palate shows more finesse and craftsmanship then I was expecting. This is a good thing. Like the nose, this is not a hop monster. Cheesy, piney hops are the loudest with a smattering of grapefruit and oranges. The hops don’t launch a frontal assault on my tongue; they put on a skillful flanking maneuver and bypass all but the middle/back of my tongue. I like my IPAs to act like Sherman when he marched to the sea, total destruction is my aim. This IPA was more like when Grant forced Lee to evacuate Richmond. Which is better? Who became President? Not much malt depth, some caramel, some honey too. I get random hints of wildflowers. The alcohol is found at the end, hot and lingering. Cheesy aftertaste with a nice mixture toated bread (Hey there! I found some malt!), it is like a beery hor’dourves. No doubt this is a well-made IPA, it is much different then I was expecting. At first I was leery but the end I am in love. This is a great IPA!

Medium in body, maybe a tickle thin for me but it is not watery or distracting. The abv is fairly high and I would think this IPA could use a bit more body; that is just me. Moderately low carbonation, overall the mouthfeel fits this beer like a glove.

Plenty damn drinkable. This IPA gets ample love in the BA community, I see why. In some ways this is as good as any IPA I have had and yet in certain aspects it falters a bit but the positives do way out weigh the negatives. In the end, my tastebuds are the winner. I a very happy I finally got to try this IPA. I really liked it and I hope to get more. Go Huskers! Thank you michiganmiked! (2,764 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle shared by higravity as part of SS'05. Thanks for the opportunity. Been a while since I tried this one, let's see how my taste preferences have changed. Pours a one-finger light dirty tan head over a cloudy peach liquid. A couple particulates swirl about. Smells lupulin piney. Potently of oranges and some tangerine. Tastes piney, oranges, and pith. Dry. Hint of lupulin but low on the co-ho grassy. Orange rind soured. Dry hint of cherry sour. Dry rough oil finish. Similar to Hop Wallop, but this has a grassy coho dry edgerather than the aromatic light hop oily charater of HW. Md body that's slightly chewy. Mod/light carbonation and slightly piercing on the tongue. The mouthfeel is like gauze...dry and thick fiberous on the tongue. (745 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a cloudy golden color, with lots of suspended particles the result of it being bottle conditioned. Half inch of nice creamy looking head. Nice lacing.

Floral hop aroma smells something like dandelions I think, also a sweet smell almost like honey.

Big hop flavor. Earthy and floral. The malt is very light as if it's difficult to find underneath the hops, but it's very smooth. I like the flavor a lot.

This is an IPA I almost always have in my fridge as it's one of the better IPAs readily available in grocery stores in NYC. The hops can be a bit much after a couple as they really stick with you. But this is a terrific IPA all around. (654 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

This is a hop monster. Tasty, refreshing, complex and delightful.

Acquired as part of a sample dated November 2005. Fresh and tasty.

Pours a hazy orange with a delightfully rocky off-white head that recedes slowly and left sheets of fragrant, sticky, pillowy lace in its wake.

Aroma, spruce and grapefruit pith overwhelm the senses nearly masking bready, malty underpinnings that hold this brew together.

Taste is jump up and kiss me hops. Grapefruit Pith and Spruce up fron,t a rounded out sweetness in the middle and More Grapefruit at the end that fslowly ades into a lingering, leafy hop bitterness that lasts and lasts.

Mouthfeel is heavy and slick, a nice counterpoint to the bracing hoppiness.

This is a drinkable brew from the word go. Dogfish Head 60 minute has a new competitor in my book. I will definitely plan to keep this puppy around. (867 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

Service from bottle into a tumbler
Serving Temp: 49 degrees F
pH : 4.47
Alcohol % Measured: 6.8% by Residual Extract Method

Poured a hazy clarity with a perfect 1 inch head of small and large bubles mixed. Color was a dark straw at the bottom of my glass and transitioned to a deep gold at the top. Clearly a bottle conditioned, unfiltered beer as the haze revealed small bits of yeast floating throughout.
The aroma was of pleasant, mellow hops. The first sip hit my tongue with an instant hop bitterness that matched that soft aroma. Then a brief malt appearance almost instantly overcome by hops. Bitterness followed all the way down the throat. The malt backbone exposed itself more and more as I finished the beer.
The head clung to the side of the glass all the way to finish.
I really enjoyed this beer. It seems a superb example of an American IPA with an interesting appearance and highly drinkable for those who can make it past the first onslaught of hops. (976 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

Orangey, light copper color, about a finger of head. Some light lacing. The aroma screams of fresh citrus. Lots of orange and grapefruit. Maybe there's a little honey in there too? There's a very nice bitterness to this one. Very flavorful, but not overpowering. Nicely balanced, the grapefruity hops stand out just slightly. Crisp and dry with some nice carbonation. I just wish this was available to me all the time! (418 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -21%

The dandruff in my beer was the initial reaction that got me off to a bad start. I was nervous about this beer to begin with and that made me scared to even touch it. Fortunately, I did, and things actually improved from there. I am recently trying to broaden myself from being a malt-head into accepting and understanding IPAs. For someone who typically does not prefer this style, this is a great beer. But to my tastes I could not rate it as high as others may have.

Appearance: The appearance started of on the wrong foot as I am pouring along normally, getting minimal head, I increase the speed of my pour as I near the end of the beer, then... panic, "shit! what is that!" comes out of my mouth. There are big thick disgusting looking white chunks of an unknown substance that are floating in this beer. I am not new to bottle conditioned beers. I often enjoy adding the yeast. This is NOT that type of matter. It is flaky dandruff that is quite unappealing. Nonetheless, I got over it and moved on. If you eliminate the mysterious substance, the rest of the appearance is decent. It’s a light orange almost peach colored beer with a small off white head and nice lacing.

Smell: This is a big beer but the smell is not overly intimidating. It does have a hop presence but the acceptable level of pine notes are balanced with some sweet malt character. It has floral hops but mostly makes me think of orange peels.

Taste: Pine to me is usually a bad description because I do not like that green grassy flavor in my beer. However, this is a good tasting beer. It taste primarily like grapefruit juice. Whatever green (pine or grass) hints there are, lie beneath a VERY strong citrus character that I can enjoy. It reminds me of breakfast when I had fresh grapefruit. I do not usually have grapefruit with my beer but this is an interesting and complex taste. It is not a green bitter but rather citrus tart flavor. The taste is quite sweet with lots of sugar and malts. It is okay for a sweet tooth like me.

Mouthfeel: Creamy upfront, full body in the middle, tuning tart and crisp on the swallow, with a pleasant aftertaste bleeding sweet sugars back into your mouth that are seeping out of your lips and cheeks.

Drinkability: Although I like a small 8 oz glass of grapefruit juice I do not ask for a super size of it, or pick up a full liter bottle at the convenience store, on my way to work. No, I appreciate it in moderation. This beer is to tart for me to dink one after another. It goes a long way in small quantities. I had a glass of water in the middle of the beer and I don't need another Smuttynose IPA now that I'm done. This is a 'one at a time' beer for me and definitely a 'sipper' beer. I would consider this a low drinkability (but that is coming from a guy who is not a big IPA fan). I see this as a good candidate for me as a transition beer though. It feeds into my sweet tooth and as a malt-head it has enough body to help me get through it. In another year of drinking this, I may just be an IPA fan too.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (3,085 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a hazy light orange with nice lingering head. Surprisingly the pale ale Smuttynose makes is much darker then this beer. The lacing sticks to the side of the glass all the down. The smell is beautiful floral hop aroma and bitterness. The taste is bitter hoppiness with a nice citrus and floral hop flavor underneath. The malts are mostly hidden, what I would expect for an IPA. Another great beer from Smuttynose. (427 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Everything an IPA should be and maybe more. Perhaps too much more.

A very nice, drinkable beer. Not too heavy. The hops are very strong. The Alström Bros called it when they said that it was like being hit over the head with a bag of grapefruit. The taste definitely lingers. I'm a fan of bold hops, so I love it, but I can see how it could overwhelm people who like a smoother experience.

My kind of beer. (415 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a golden amber with an orangey tang to it. Half finger white foamy head that dissipates but leaves a nice film on top and good lace down the glass.
S: Aromas of floral and fruity hops. A bit of citrus and pine in there also. Hops are definately noticeable, but I like the strength of them.
T: Tastes of citrus and floral hops with a very nice interlude of pine. Malt is hanging out in the background but the bitter hops are the most noticeable of all. Well balanced and medium bodied with a nice bitter end. Bitterness tends to hang out for awhile stinging the tongue.
M & D: Mouthfeel is good, smooth and refreshing. Lip smacking bitter end, but very well balanced. Definately a drinkable beer and one of my favorites. Perhaps my go to IPA. I love having a bunch of these if in one sitting. The "finest kind!" (822 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottled in October

A – Pours a hazy copper orange with snowflake like yeast sediment floating around. Two finger off white head w/ decent lacing.

S – Citrus hops, orange and grapefruit, maybe a hint of bubblegum? There is also a flowery aroma going on.

T – Starts off with a strong bitter grapefruit/citrus bite. A little sweet caramel malt balances it off and then it finishes with more hop bitterness. Somewhat bitter overall with only a small hint of malt balance.

M – Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a little bit of an oily feel on the tongue. The lingering bitterness leaves the feel in your mouth when you try swallowing an aspirin with a dry mouth and no water (maybe a chalky feeling).

D – A decent IPA a little heavier on bittering than all out hop flavor. The dry bitterness aftertaste would make it difficult to put more than 1 or 2 down. Overall an average IPA. (901 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -38%

Bitter and grassy, that is the short review. Well it pours a nice yellowish body with a white head and some lacing. Smells of heavy bitter hops and a grassy lemon with some malt in the back end. Taste is really just bitter hops with some grassy tanic tang. Not enjoyable in the sense I would want to session this beer. No thanks and never again. (345 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance -- Filtered, bright golden yellow in appearance. One finger of white foamy head that quickly dies down. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell -- It's weak for an IPA in my opinion. Citrus smelling hops . . . very faint. (I've had two bottles so far. Smell is based on the warmer serving.)

Taste -- It's bitter alright, but there's nothing else. This beer is lacking a strong finish. This is really a let down.

Mouthfeel -- Creamy; medium feel.

Drinkability -- Average drinkability. I won't seek this one out again. (526 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer forms an small off white head which hangs around for a few minutes before leaving a little lace with a beautiful orange/amber liquid. I also noticed a few floaties but they don't bother me as the incredible hoppy ipa somehows bests the wonderful pine and fruity aroma. (278 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a golden color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a bit of caramel sweetness and some citrus hops in the forground. Nothing too special in my opinion. The flavor was much the same. Something in the flavor just doesn't do it for me. The finish is bitter and the mouthfeel is moderate. Drinkability is good. (368 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Golden amber with an incredible amount of floating bits of hops, and a small rocky white head. Sticky lacing with lots of rings. Smells overwhelmingly of pine and citrus...and like someone soaked a bud of cannabis in it. There's a noticeable peachy undertone as well. Taste is piney hops, a mandarin orange peel twinge, a sweetness not unlike peach juice, and finishes with a toasty biscuit flavor. Medium body and juicy mouthfeel. This has a certain astringency that keeps the drinkability down a bit, but this is absolutely a fine and solid IPA. Glad it's available in my neck of the woods. (592 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at the Puclick House in Brookline, MA.

Appearance: Pours a nice hazy copper color with a thin off white head. Excellent retention and lacing to this slightly creamy head.

Smell: Malty witha a rush of floral hops. It's spicy and sandy as well. Mellow but rich.

Taste: Spicy hoppy opening with citrus juices and a big malty middle. The malt is bready and sweet with a floral ending. Nice lingering bitterness on the end without ripping into my tongue. Good malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability: Very nice balance to this beer. Well hopped but not overdone. That malt gives a good showing and is paired nicely with the hop varieties. (689 characters)

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company