Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
View: Beers (54) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
legalpete19340

2.63/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I waited several weeks between tastings to verify my feelings because I know how highly rated this beer is, so this review is coming from two separate six packs and days.

A: Poured straw yellow with a bit of fizzy head which hung around a while.

S: If this were a blind smell, I would say this is a lager. The smell is almost void of hop character. It is a strong yeast and stale beer smell, almost sour sweetness with minimal piney dankness in the mix.

T: Some hop character appears here mostly in the form of wet grass. I get the flavor of lemon soapy water. There is some biscuit mixed in but the result is tough to drink.

M: Nothing abnormal here, medium and fizzy.

O: I wouldnt recommend this beer nor would I drink another. I dont find it to be an IPA because there is no hop profile or character. Perhaps its abstract APA trying to be extra earthy? It seems to lack a direction and the hops are missing, hallow or not in the correct proportion.

03-28-2011 03:40:15 | More by legalpete19340
ColdPoncho

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Best before April 2011

A - pours a really beautiful bright and clear orange with a bit of white head that things to a clump and thick ring.

S - Even though it's nearing its expiration, theres a nice punch of citrusy and spicy hops. A nice malt backbone to balance.

T - Dry, bitter grapefruit hops. some nice malt to back it up. It's simple, but really well done.

M - Very smooth, medium bodied beer. Just about right

O (D) - This was one of the beers that got me started on craft beer, and I am pleased to say it's still great. An everyday sort of beer, for sure.

03-27-2011 20:05:10 | More by ColdPoncho
CanonJohn

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from bottle into tulip.

A: Fiery orange. Murky with visible yeast. Two finger bright, just slightly off white head that faded slowly to lace over the beer. Left some nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Piney resiny hops. Some slight citrus notes with a toasty bready smell.

T: Sweet sticky malts up front, followed fast by HOPS HOPS HOPS. Piney, resiny, hops with a citrus under current. The end is yeasty bread and hoppy bitterness. There is a strong bitter after that was a bit much, but the wonderful flavors of this beer make up for it.

M: Medium heavy bodied with nice mild carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D: Drinkability is limited. I could not take more than one of these. It is just too much flavor for this ole' cowpoke.

In a word, love. I want more!

03-26-2011 02:40:06 | More by CanonJohn
bsp77

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into pint-like glass. Best by September 2011.

Appearance: Hazy gold with stark white head and light lacing.

Smell: Earthy and spicy hops, some grapefruit and pine, and toasted malts.

Taste: Mixture of English and American hops. Both earthy and spicy, as well as nice levels of grapefruit and pine. Toasted malt backbone. Exceedingly bitter.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, bone-wrenchingly dry.

Overall: Cross between an American and an English IPA. Not quite enough flavor to support the extreme bitterness.

03-25-2011 22:57:12 | More by bsp77
rrski198

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

A: nice amber color with a huge white fluffy head and outstanding lacing. Slightly hazy and obviously unfiltered.

S: Hops are not overpowering and the malt is obviously present. I dig the smell just not what I thought it would be as this comes across as a nice pale ale.

T: Citrus sweet right up front followed by a deep bitterness that really kicks all over the mouth. The bitterness reminds me of eating a citrus peel. Great spice from the booze and hops.

M: Big, carbonated perfectly and again, nice spice on the inside of the mouth. Bitterness is almost puckering it is so intense.

O: Outside of the smell, and I'm a little confused about that, this is a good offering. I really enjoyed it and the intense bitterness has left my mouth almost numb. Cool!

03-25-2011 01:20:05 | More by rrski198
tbrown4

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz -> giant snifter. Served at about 50 degrees F. Picked up a single bottle at Beltway Fine Wines in Towson, MD.

A - Lightly cloudy, burnt orange/copper, moderate carb stream, one finger white fine bubble head. Very clear and clean line of head. Scant lacing.

S - This has a very unique and oddly creamy nose to it. Smells almost sweet and savory. Little to no hop presence.

T - The IPA profile is definitely here. Somewhat bitter, leafy and earthy hop flavors. Creamy bready middle. Sharp and clean tart finish. Has a dry feel to it.

M - Light to medium light bodied. Crisp carb pop.

O - Smuttynose has made a decent sessionable IPA. Not too heavy on the palate, but flavorful enough to be interesting. It's unlike any other IPA I've ever had, not sue if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The aroma really threw me for a loop.

Not sure if I'd rush out to get this one again but if it was available I wouldn't turn it down.

03-24-2011 01:23:02 | More by tbrown4
AmericanGothic

Iowa

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into my trusty Unibroue tulip.

A: Medium honey color, barely one-finger head with little retention. Active carbonation, somewhat cloudy. Little lace.

S: Pungent citrus and pine hops, semi-sweet biscuit.

T: Grapefruit and pine, very dry. Balanced by biscuit that is not sweet at all in flavor, though it was in the nose. Nevertheless, the balance really works well. Wait-- there is a tiny bit of sweetness sneaking through now-- though that could be the taste of my melting flesh. The dryness is very interesting-- all hops, no mineral. Alcohol totally integrated.

M: Slightly creamy, lots of carbonation works well with the dry flavor.

O: All the pieces fit together great. Wish I had picked up more.

Wow, this is interesting. If somebody described this beer to me, I would guess that I wouldn't like it. But I do. Need to schedule a road trip to pick up more. Great stuff.

03-22-2011 22:58:08 | More by AmericanGothic
chilly460

2.65/5  rDev -35.4%

A: Pours a light straw-yellow color. Head is foamy with some decent lacing.

S: The aroma threw me for a loop. Smelled a lot like a yeasty, cheap American lager. Some sourness in there, not "vinegar" like it was infected, just sour. Double checked with a guy that's had it before, he stated that's the norm for this beer.

T: Spicey grass hops is all I can get. Burns the back of the throat, pure bitterness. No malt backbone to speak of.

M: A bit thin for the style, but acceptable.

O: Wow, I'd heard a lot of good things about this beer on BA. I can't say I agree, I choked down half a bottle and that's all I could stomach.

03-21-2011 22:37:37 | More by chilly460
seanluvsbeer

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

looks great clean and clear with a nice head. smell isnt too impesive but still smells clean and crisp. taste is malty up front with the hops close behind spicy at first then a little piney. a nice ipa definatly not my favorite but a good session beer i think.

03-19-2011 23:07:39 | More by seanluvsbeer
addmorehops

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

I've had this several timeas and misfiled it under too much malt. I stand corrected as I'm enjoying the start of a second case in 2 months. Great hop dryness with nice floaties and a latent bitter, creamy and very enjoyable finish at a price that is great in this area. I'll buy it again. Wondering if you get the floaties on draft?

03-19-2011 04:20:09 | More by addmorehops
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer is so good, it deserves an "on-tap" review, because the bottle just doesn't do it justice.

A: Beautiful golden amber, a fog creeps through the glass which makes the fluffy white head on top look even more glorious. With each sip, rings of lacing heavily coat the glass.

S: An intense aroma of grapefruit and herbs. Smells almost like freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, the hops are just that amazing.

T: Following the nose, the grapefruit hops are incredible. A very hop forward beer. From here, the taste goes into an herbal spiciness, going toe to toe with the hoppy goodness. In the background is a faint, but candied fruit maltiness going on. It's mainly hop dominant, and I'm not complaining.

M: A solid, medium bodied brew. The hops and citrus qualities are so intense, you can feel the enamel peel off your teeth. The beer also has a certain "hot" quality to it, possibly caused by the great deal of the hops.

O: It's great from the bottle, but phenomenal on tap. If you see it, you cannot pass it up. It's the closest substitute to eating an actual grapefruit I have come across. One of the best IPAs out there.

03-18-2011 21:33:02 | More by mostpoetsdo
andrewsporter

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Loved this beer. One of the best things was how well the smell portrayed just how hoppy and fruity it was. Not as fruity as you'd imagine though; well balanced. Unfiltered; I'm not a huge fan of the hops particles floating around but skillful dry hopping is likely what distinguishes this beer. After having just one of these it's honestly up there as one of my favorite AIPAs but I'm not hard to please. Masala Mama, Two Hearted, Founders. God I'm cliche.

03-17-2011 01:17:02 | More by andrewsporter
mdaschaf

Washington

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Best by June 2011.

A: Poured into my DFH snifter. Pours a hazy light orange color. A white one finger head formed up nicely and slowly dissipated to some foamy bubbles on top. Sticky lacing down the sides.

S: Light citrus fruit, nice grass, and some pine. Hints of grapefruit and orange. Nice caramel malt on the finish.

T: Juicy hops, orange, grapefruit, and a little bit of lemon. Not a lot of malt flavor, some caramel and biscuit. Has a bitter finish leaving my mouth dry.

M: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. The bitter finish is a little too bitter for my liking in an IPA.

O: Nice aroma and flavor, the bitterness gets me a little bit. Pretty good IPA, definitely deserving of its finest kind name.

03-17-2011 00:24:41 | More by mdaschaf
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

From tap to nonic pint glass at ChurchKey on 3/14/11
*From notes

A: Stunning amber hue. 1.5 finger head and really sticky lacing that made the rest of the beers on the table jealous. I should note that unlike the bottled version, this one is clean, clear and lacking any "floaties".

S: Big time pine, but as I continue to stick my nose in the glass, I get an overwhelming amount of grain.

T: Immediate malt. Bitter hops attack the middle of the palate and though this one smooths out slightly, it still finishes a bit hotter then I would prefer.

M: The Finest Kind has a nice creaminess to it. The carbonation is forceful, but it helps to balance out the intense, bitter nature of this brew.

O: Smuttynose's Finest Kind has aided in laying the groundwork for the "east coast AIPA". It's hoppy, bitter and malty. It's heavy and rich and well put together.

I personally prefer the West Coast AIPA's. Though I can appreciate this one, I don't reach for it too often, though when I do I enjoy it.

03-16-2011 23:29:50 | More by Rhettroactive
pmccallum86

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a great golden hue with a thick bubbly head.

Smell is of grapefruit and pineapple hops, awesome, very floral.

Taste is bitter up front with a primarily grapefruit hop character. Lots of bitterness in the finish, very dry as well. Awesome IPA

Smooth and dry with medium carbonation, great.

Good drinkability, quite impressed.

03-16-2011 02:33:18 | More by pmccallum86
thedoubler55

4.1/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of off white head that leaves barely any lacing.

S - The nose on this beer is very good, lots of strong citrus hops, a bit of sweet honey and spicy malts. Great smell on this one.

T - Great taste of sweet fruits, almost no taste of booze up front, a bit of bitterness from the hops but nothing crazy, great tasting.

M - Medium bodied and medium carbonation, perfect blend.

D - Great IPA, I enjoyed this one very much!

03-15-2011 03:08:17 | More by thedoubler55
hopburster

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Maudite snifter. Thanks to naloxone for including this as an extra!

A - Hazy, amber color pour. Solid, fluffy one finger off-white head which quickly recedes leaving a moderate amount of lacing.

S - Piney notes dominate the initial nose; tropical fruit (pineapple, mango) come through quite strongly after the initial burst of pine. Also get a faint whiff of yeast, but don't detect any malt overtones.

T - Nice hop burst, followed by the tropical fruit flavors, and then piney hints at the finish. Subdued malt presence and not a hint of alcohol noticed.

M - Medium bodied with relatively low carbonation. Very nice dry finish.

D - This is a very tasty IPA and I can see myself blissfully spending a summer afternoon throwing these down while I wait for the ribs to finish on the BBQ. Would be great session beer and would be part of my regular rotation if it were distributed in my market.

03-13-2011 23:22:53 | More by hopburster
scottfrie

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip. Thanks to Chriscrundwell12 for sending this one to me. Best before date May '11.

A: Pours a hazy glowing tangerine color with a huge think rocky head that slowly faded into a thick fluffy layer that left a solid sheet of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Notes of citrus and tropical fruit hops with a backbone of fruity juice and sweet candy-like malt.
T: Light and clean flavors of tropical fruits with a touch of biscuit beneath. Finish has a good dose of grapefruit pith bitterness that lingers after the swallow. Pretty straightforward all around if not a little bit more bitter than some.
M: Medium body goes down smooth and easy. Carbonation is soft and light and the mouthfeel is clean enough.
D: Pretty straight forward (albeit really good) IPA. If this were available regularly I might through it into my standard IPA rotation. Solid all around. Thanks again Chris for hooking it up!

03-13-2011 22:23:24 | More by scottfrie
dataskatt

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a hazy golden amber. As one reviewer said, it looks like honey! The smell is good, but didn't seem overly strong to me. Piney, hoppy, IPA bitterness. The taste is outstanding! It is a full-bodied IPA taste, without being harsh. Some IPA's I've tried have had that overly harsh "bite". This beer has all the full-bodied hoppy bitterness without making your mouth pucker in a bad way. It's not just bitter for the sake of being bitter...it has depth. Creamy (for an IPA) and balanced. Floral and a little piney. Not too much grapefruit notes (which, for me, is preferred). Mouthfeel...it is almost "chewy"...in a good way. Very drinkable, despite a high ABV. I would definitely buy again!

03-10-2011 22:51:02 | More by dataskatt
engagechad

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Single - best by july of 2011 - poured into a dfh snifter

This beer poured Yellow amber, like the color of honey. Not the color I usually look for in an IPA but I guess that is a result of lack of crystal malts..? Great head with good lacing.
Smells amazingly good, not so much the grapefruit or pine, but this beer is all lemon zest for me. It was a pleasure to stick my nose in.
Tasted great as well, very light in body while still smooth. This beer was incredibly drinkable yet I found the mouthfeel to suffer slightly with a grassy after bite.

Overall - great IPA - I would buy it again

03-10-2011 15:00:40 | More by engagechad
Monkey962

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Pours with a bubbly three-finger head, with excellent retention. Left delicate lacing all the way down the glass. The beer itself is gorgeous. The outer edges appear golden and almost silvery, but it quickly accrues a red hue as your eye moves towards the center of the glass, resolving into a pale amber color. The best looking beer I've seen yet.

Smell: Minimal aroma, all I got was grapefruit and an astringent feeling. Perhaps the unusually thick head blocked a lot of aroma?

Taste: I feel really bad for giving the Smuttynose such a poor grade. I can tell that this is a good beer, but I prefer a more balanced English style IPA to heavily hopped American ones. Overall, very fruity, citrusy, and big tastes of grapefruit, with minimal malt sweetness on the finish.

Feel: The mouthfeel was nothing to write home about, but it's not like it was terrible. Very reasonable carbonation, and not at all too watery.

Drinkability: The hop heaviness causes the drinkability to suffer. It was hardly something I could imagine quaffing down, but rather taking in small sips. A shame, because as I've said, I can tell it's a good beer, but just a bit too hoppy for my tastes.

03-09-2011 03:25:05 | More by Monkey962
Swedes21

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in a chilled glass.

Appearance - pours a deep dark golden ale colour. there is a lot of carbonation happening in this glass. Beer has a slight haze to it as well. the head is a slight off-white, disappears quick with some good lacing.

Smell - classic IPA, pine, hops, some sweetness and earthy tones. As the beer warms, u can pick up some grapefruits as well. very well defined smelling beer.

taste - very nice beer, lot of good tasting flavours. You can pick up the hops and pine right away. there is also some nice malts buried in there. the finish has some bitterness but not too long lasting of a flavour, can find the grapefruit hidden in the finish.

mouthfeel - there is some real good carbonation generated here. found it brings the bitterness fwd and real focus on the grapefruit side of the beer.

drinkability - loved this beer, wish we had it in Canada! What a great tasting beer, would stock for sure.

03-09-2011 01:57:37 | More by Swedes21
LBBeer

4.1/5  rDev 0%

From 12 oz, bottle into chilled shaker pint at the Boston Quincy Marriott.

A--Poured with less than half an inch of cream-colored head (probably because the beer and the glass were both too cold, but that's what you get at Marriott).

S--Waited about 15 minutes for things to warm up, as there was no aroma to speak of at pouring. As a reasonable temperature was attained a very nice caramelly malt note started streaming out, followed closely by a little herbaceous hop note--not too much hop aroma though.

T--If that caramel note carried through to the palate, this would definitely move up a notch, but all I get is hops, hops, and more hops. Thankfully a lot of lighter bittering hops, with a little grapefruit astringency.

M-This brew is pretty nice on the tongue, but I find myself looking for a bit more malt to pull it all together.

D--Malt or not, I like drinking this beer. It goes down nicely and has the hop profile I like.

03-08-2011 23:58:05 | More by LBBeer
THECPJ

Delaware

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: golden yellow orange with a 1 finger white head

smell: hops, malts,

taste: caramel malts, piney hops

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body. dry bitter finish

drinkability: a very nice ipa an a easy drinker. goes down nice with a crisp finish.

Cheers,

The CPJ

03-08-2011 18:41:21 | More by THECPJ
Brunite

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance: Dark straw color...quite hazy. A finger of bright white head that hangs around. Puffy head. Left some lace marks on the glass

Aroma: Very much grapefruit/citrus. Not as much pine note as I would like.

Taste: Grapefruit overload. I knew to expect this with this one and I like my IPA/DIPAs. But...this one overdoes it. No sweetness at all to balance things. Too much bitterness for a straight IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light.

Drinkability: I only give this a middle of the road vote, I'll finish what I have but likely not buy more.

03-08-2011 08:31:20 | More by Brunite