Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
patriot76

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Copper, orange color with a great 1 inch thick head. Sediment floats around a mildly cloudy brew. Great lacing.

S- Floral hops and malt. Also some apricot and grapefruit. Very nice.

T- Stong hop bitterness but not overwhelming. The taste immediately goes to the back of the palate. You have a nice pairing of hops and malt going on here. Very well balanced with a full mouth experience. A grapefruit like finish.

M- The back of the palate is the main player in this game. From start to finish the taste rests there. During the initial face there is smoothness, then sharp bittness takes over; nice transition.

D- Overall this is a very nice IPA to drink. It initially is tasty and well balanced. That being said the lingering grapefruit bitterness was unreal. It was as if I slugged down a whole gallon of grapefruit juice, it just wouldn't stop. After a while the lingering bitterness took on the role of an aftertaste. If the lingering bitterness were a bit more subdued I would have given it about as high a rating as possible.

01-12-2011 05:06:32 | More by patriot76
mvanaskie13

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a standard pint glass, presented with thin white frothy head, and a great golden, copper color.

Smell is piney hops. Slightly resony. Followed by a nice roasted maltness.

Taste is mild malt roasted flavors with piney hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is just what you expect for this beer, nicely bitter but enough balance to make it greatly drinkable

Great drinkability, flavors are just right. One of a few ipas you could drink all night.

01-08-2011 04:10:37 | More by mvanaskie13
shand

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic pint.

Pours a hazy orange-straw colour with a finger's worth of head that retains decently and laces very well. HOPS!!! The aroma is head to toe hoppy goodness! They're very complex hops, with some citrus and floral aspects. A very good smelling beer. Unfortunately, it doesn't taste quite as good as it smells, but it's still a great tasting IPA. It's not aggressively hoppy, it's a mix between hops and malts. Thankfully, the malts aren't very sweet and there's some serious grapefruit rind to help bitter it even more.

The mouthfeel is just thick enough to hit the seriously drinkable edge, and the fact that the malts hit first make it extremely drinkable, this didn't last very long in front of me. 7% ABV? Could have fooled me, this is very drinkable. A great IPA from Smuttynose, I'm excited to try more beers from this brewery.

01-07-2011 19:37:21 | More by shand
Drazzamatazz

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Last bottle of my six pack; best by 3/11. Figured I should drink this sooner.

A: Floaties! Smells to be a common occurrence with Finest Kind. It turned me off at first but I've come to expect it now. Honeyed amber with great lacing. Started off real foamy but quickly died off. Small stream of bubbles.

S: Grapefruit peel and hop resin. Also...mustard? After a swirl some sweet biscuit malts come forward. I know for a fact this one is much more pungent fresh, but its still no slouch right now either.

T: Wonderful grapefruit juice flavor battles the malt backbone, but in the end the winner is pure hop bite. Again, this is normally much fruitier fresh, but its pretty surprising how bitter it is and stays. I wish I knew the IBU's on this thing, it has quite a bitter finish.

M: Nice full mouthfeel; I still kick myself for not having this on cask the one time I saw it. Medium carbonation makes sure you get the bitter finish throughout your entire mouth.

D: I've drank an entire six pack in one sitting before when it was fresh. Full disclosure, this is my favorite local IPA. I can see how at this point in time someone might find the bitter finish a little much though so I'll have to dock it for that.

I will have to remember to review the next fresh bottle I get. One of my favorite locals with one of my favorite labels. Who doesn't love Cy and Paul whooping it up?

01-05-2011 19:09:58 | More by Drazzamatazz
mshannon

Montana

A- looks and smells like citrus, attractive
S- grapefruit, sweet pine, lots of hops and a hint of alcohol
T- same fruit and pine, some grass, kind of like eating fresh hops
M- thick, smooth and bubbly, oily
D- just plain good, wonderful example of the style, I'd get it again

01-04-2011 23:00:52 | More by mshannon
xpoweruser

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Brilliant golden orange color. Cloudy with sediment. Nice white head that sticks around.

Aroma: Very strong sweet citrus. Some sweetness from the malts.

Taste: Very bitter and citrusy hop flavor dominates with some nice grapefruit notes. Nice caramel and bready malt backbone. Very slight alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and full-bodied. Perfect carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is a fine example of how an American IPA should be brewed. Nice solid hop bite that assaults the palate with a nice malt backbone. This beer is almost like drinking liquefied hops. A top-notch brew!

01-04-2011 00:29:18 | More by xpoweruser
DrStiffington

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%

Well, it's about time I reviewed one of these. It poured with a large head and had a nice, hazy, light amber color. There were some rings laced around the glass as I drank this. The taste follows the smell, with some nice, but not overpowering, citrus. This is probably my favorite IPA for the price. You can't go wrong with this one!

01-02-2011 23:05:24 | More by DrStiffington
bundy462

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Unfiltered, golden, frothy white head. The large unfiltered chunks are somewhat of a turnoff.

S: Grapefruit, orange, big hops, roasted malty backbone with a touch of grain, sweet aroma of booze.

T: Sharp hopy bitterness from front to back. There's a sharp citrus in the finish, feels mostly lime. The malty backbone is good, but gets really overshadowed by the hops.

M: Smooth, prickly hops throughout. Medium bodied.

O: Decent IPA, about middle of the road for the style.

01-02-2011 03:14:49 | More by bundy462
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Poured into plastic cup at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincy, but this is the first time in OH to buy Smuttynose and Great Lakes, so I'm not waiting for a special glass.

Great bronze, apricot color and solid inch head. Smell is great combo of citrus and pine, everything you'd expect.

Taste is classic IPA, a little malt, a little biscuit, a lot of hops. This has an extremely bitter finish, a slight bit oily.

I expected a lot from this IPA and it delivered on all fronts, wish they could extend dist into Indiana.

12-31-2010 01:00:36 | More by DAllspaw
BuxMontBeerLover

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Purchased at Wegmans in Warrington, PA.
Purchase price: $9.99/6pk
Served and enjoyed in a DFH Signature Glass.
I'd seen this beer on the shelf several times before and being an IPA fan, I decided to give it a try.

A - Pours with a frothy, one finger head that disapated after a few minutes to a thin white head. Cloudy, opaque amber color that is a result, I would assume, of the unfiltering. A great amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass as I drink it down.

S - Familar grapefruit, citrusy smell that I associate with most IPAs. Nothing that says "wow" right off the bat.

T - The smell really doesn't give a good indication of just how good this beer is! Tons of flavors (lots of citrus, floral and pine flavors.) What is really nice is that this beer is also pretty damn hoppy! Really nice bitterness but it isn't overpowered by the hops at all. Good balance of hops and malt.

M - Well carbonated with a distinctive hop bite at the end of each taste.

D - A top-notch IPA for sure. The alcohol, although not terribly high to begin with, is barely noticeable. This could be a session beer in my opinion but probably I'll stick to simply savoring one or two at a time. I like it quite a bit since it's not overly sweet like some other IPAs I've tasted.

Overall: A great example of an American IPA. There are tons of IPAs out there and since I really enjoy them, I've sampled quite a few. This would rank as one of the better ones that I have tried for sure. Highly recommended and I'll be purchasing again, for sure, in the future.

Cheers!

12-30-2010 23:38:09 | More by BuxMontBeerLover
nlmartin

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer was served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is apricot colored. The head is a thick white coloration. The head stands up to my mustache test. Rings of lacing wrap around my glass.

Smell: Citrus hops and zest combine with a pleasing pine aroma.

Taste: Subdued caramel malt wraps around biscuits layered with a bright citrus marmalade spiked with oily pine hops. This beer is very well executed. Very well balance!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation plays out well. Flavors of the beer are long lasting. Very good balance between hops and malt. This is a classic IPA. Glad to see this one in the Cincinnati market.

12-28-2010 12:49:53 | More by nlmartin
TCgoalie

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to zoso1967 for this one.

Pours a standard straw yellow with a good deal of carbonation present. The head pours 1 finger thick and lasts throughout my consumption. Lacing is very good for a bottled beer. If someone handed this to me, I would think it was a from a draft.

Plenty of piney hops in the nose with musty malts showing balance.

Lemon, orange, and pine hops provide decent bittering against sufficient bready malts in the backend. I can taste a bit of the mustiness in which I was smelling.

Medium in the mouth with a touch of creaminess. I feel some bitter drying in the end.

This is a very drinkable and solid brew. I would gladly have this again.

12-28-2010 03:19:06 | More by TCgoalie
Blakaeris

Iowa

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Pours hazy apricot orange with a dense, soapy head that leaves sheets of lacing.

Aroma is biscuit malt, and an unusual yeasty funk. Citrus hop shines through along with some alcohol warmth.

Taste is more of the biscuit malt from the nose. Light citrus fruit- pineapple and melon. Hints of tobacco. Dry and musty. Finishes with a lingering mineral quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with some hop oil residue.

Overall, a flavorful APA. Certainly worth a try.

12-28-2010 01:57:14 | More by Blakaeris
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Wow. A truly excellent American Pale Ale!

Not too bitter, but hops complement all elements across aroma and taste pallettes - and ending with a brilliant finish. Beautiful colour, amazing aroma and multiple hop varieties used in both wet and dry hopping - which in my non-technical world leads to an incredibly pleasant taste.

Overall an excellent beer, of which I wish I'd purchased more than 6!

12-28-2010 01:55:16 | More by hopsolutely
bashiba

Iowa

Poured a nice bright golden orange with a thin off white sticky head.

The smell is very malty and english with a nice big caramel backbone and some light earthy hops.

The flavor is very mild with a nice bit of bready caramel malts and a good citrus and pine hop punch that leaves a long lingering bitterness, balancing this out very well.

The mouthfeel is light with a touch of resin and good carbonation.

Very drinkable solid IPA.

12-28-2010 01:50:36 | More by bashiba
random846

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy orange, with a large lingering head. Great lacing over the entire glass.

Smell: Lots of Citrus and hops with a hint of malts. Not as strong as I would have liked but good none the less.

Taste: Wow, delicious hops right away. Quite bitter but it only makes the taste better. A very nice citrusy hop flavor along with subtler grapefruit and pine tastes make up much of the flavor. Malts becomes evident towards the finish but it is nothing in comparison to the hops. Aftertaste is very nice and it sticks around for a while.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, maybe a little heavier than typical IPAs. Good carbonation.

Drinkablity: Even with all the bitterness the brew has great drinkablity, it just tastes so good and goes down smooth.

Definitely one of my favorite IPAs and beers for that matter. Will be looking for a case of this next time I get beer.

12-27-2010 10:16:10 | More by random846
Wamesit

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

A - Pours a deep hazy orange. Sediment visibly floating. Thick two finger white rocky head that gives way to moderate lacing.

S - Hops. The whole gambit. Citrus, specifically grapefruit. Piney undertones, and as it warms the floral aroma becomes prevalent.

T - Unreal. True IPA. Bitter and then bitter some more. The citrus flavor creates a crispness that is only accentuated by the more rustic piney richness. The flavors are lively and this is in no way bitter for the sake of bitterness. There is a malty honey sweetness, smooth and welcomed, in the finish that becomes more apparent as the ale warms a bit.

M - Medium, yet robust.

D - Incredibly drinkable. Don't let the heavy amount of hops fool you, this is crisp and refreshing and an IPA that could go very well with another--and another.

12-27-2010 08:09:03 | More by Wamesit
charlesbyrd

Mississippi

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Best By August '11 notched on the label.

A: Pours slightly hazy and honey in color. It's clearer than I thought it would be. This being an unfiltered beer, there's a fair amount of tiny floaties suspended throughout the glass. It's also very bobbly, though the white foamy head doesn't hold up for very long.

S: Grapefruit and floral hop aroma is definitely up front. Honey sweetness is prevalent, along with some cracker-like yeast and light malt. It doesn't really warn you for what is coming next.

T: Pow! The hops really do a number on your palate, but in a pleasure-is-pain kind of way. Lots and lots of bitter, acidic fruit, the hops seem to fighting their own bitterness to convey some sort of herbal flavor. Sourdough flavor from the malt is only an afterthought. Quite an experience.

M: While it looked thinner than I would've liked, the body is spot on. It's slick across the palate and very astringent, but the flavor and prominent bitterness linger on the tongue and down the throat.

D: The approach of this beer is like a kick in the teeth, but all the while I was thinking how refreshing it was. A hop head's delight, this beer, with no booziness or off-flavor to speak of. This beer has all the things I enjoy in an IPA.

12-27-2010 01:00:36 | More by charlesbyrd
pnkRed

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

A: It pours a hazy light amber with a large pillowy head that stays buoyant.

S: Earthy hop aromas with a slight sense of citrus

T: Very crisp and very hoppy. The earthy hops leave that dirty palate destroying taste in your mouth

M: A nice mouthfeel. Not too thin, and not too thick.

D: It goes down real easy. I'd be able to take a few of these out in no time.

12-25-2010 01:26:18 | More by pnkRed
Risser09

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz bottle - Cellar temp 50 degrees - white wine glass - best by April 2011

Appearance: Pours a nice golden orange color with a monstrous 3: head that is slow to relent. The cakey head is soapy with it's big bubble size and craterous physique. The distance between peaks and valleys on the head is astonishing. Not any lace as the beer sinks and is drunk.

Smell: Pine and vegetation. So much green-ness that I smell a bile aroma. It becomes sour to me. Very fresh grass-no, weed- clippings that prevail throughout. Grapefruit underneath it all.

Taste: Solid flavor. I get more pine and hops that mesh for a nice balance of bitterness. Great base malt profile, you can tell they used quality malts for this brew. It is very fresh and vibrant. Pine needle finish.

Mouthfeel: Comes on slowly with bitterness, then becomes piney and works its way to dryness. The roller coaster is great here. Medium body, ample carbonation and dry finish invite you back for more. Nice.

Drinkability: The bile smell is a tad overwhelming for me, and I can stand some absurd aromas/flavors. Otherwise, this is a solid brew that deserves high marks and recognition. I will revisit again!

12-24-2010 04:25:01 | More by Risser09
prdstmnky

Vermont

4.18/5  rDev +2%

*review from notes on 10/28/10*

Bottled on date: 10/04/10

Found a case of this for $30.99, which is a great price around here...being less than a month old, and one of my favorite IPAs, seemed like a no-brainer.

First bottle pours a cloudy, light amber color with lots of yeast floaties. I got a good 2 fingers of fluffy white head that nearly crested my pint glass, that took several minutes to subside leaving lots of sticky lacing. There is a huge grapefruit aroma that I can smell from a few feet away, gets quite strong as it reaches my nose. I also pick up some other citrus and earthy hops as well. Very much a hop-forward IPA, lots of grapefruit and pine with a strong, bitter, and dry finish. Medium bodied with lighter carbonation than some of my other favorites in the style.

Such a great IPA, really fortunate to be able to get this easily and fresh around here.

12-20-2010 03:20:58 | More by prdstmnky
Gobzilla

Poured golden orange in color with yellow highlights on the edges with a half finger of head and left some good lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was piney hoppy upfront with citrus, slight malty biscuit, caramel, and mild grassy notes. The taste was more piney and hoppy on the palate with citrus grapefruit that helped out on the hop bit but was not too hoppy. It also had caramel and sweet malt accents to help balance out the beer. The beer was light to medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a hoppy, piney, citrusy, bready, and mild bitter finish. It drank good but was lacking the hop punch that I usually lok for in my IPA's. I guess I guess I'm just spoiled with all these great hop bombs on the west coast.

12-18-2010 20:56:23 | More by Gobzilla
SpdKilz

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Drazzamatazz for this beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a golden color, and slight haze. About a finger of white head is achieved with a moderate pour, that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell - A nice floral aroma up front followed by slight citrus, some great smelling hops, and a noticeable caramel/malt backbone.

Taste - Dominant bitter hop taste at first. Then a nice bitter grapefruit citrus flavor kicks in which is mellowed out by a greatly balanced malt backbone. A nice sweetness to it but not a sickeningly sweet caramel.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes a hint dry.

Drinkability - Very. A great IPA. Very balanced and a great IPA. No alcohol presence. Would definitely pick this up.

12-16-2010 02:24:22 | More by SpdKilz
mattsdenney

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle. Best by January 2011.

A: Orange, slightly cloudy, quite a bit of "sediment" floating around.

S: Sweet citrus, piney hops.

T: Hop bitterness on the forefront, slightly earthy/grassy with a hint of grapefruit.

M: Coats the mouth, frothy and somewhat creamy.

D: Very drinkable and refreshing. Not as fruity/acidic as many IPA's that are out there.

12-15-2010 01:07:30 | More by mattsdenney
Duff27

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Very thin (1/4 inch maybe) white head on top of a golden/orange-hued IPA. Luscious lacing, great effervescence, lots of sediment. A lot going on in the body.

S- Smell is predominantly citrus with perhaps some bread-like qualities.

T- Pine. Very bitter hops. Biscuits. Some lemon-esque citrus taste.

M- Biting mouthfeel the whole way down. Leaves the mouth watering.

D/O- Pretty hard hitting IPA here as far as the bitterness. No worries though because it's delicious. A ('Merican) session with this would be wonderful sans the wrecked palate after a few. Definitely recommended.

12-14-2010 02:08:44 | More by Duff27