Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
View: Beers (54) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
degerbah

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Although there isn't much head at all, what head there is creates a ton of lacing around the outside of my glass. The smell is hoppy, but not as much as I would have expected based on descriptions of the beer's taste. After my first sip, I understand the hype. I'm so glad that smuttynose is now available in Ohio. This beer has incredible amounts of hop bitterness. Almost a steely type of flavor with a lot of bite. This might be my new goto IPA.

03-07-2010 01:56:58 | More by degerbah
BearsOnAcid

Bomber w/ best before date: July 2010

I haven't had this beer in about two years and decided to revisit it because I wasn't too fond of IPAs at the time.

Slightly hazy golden color bordering on amber. Small white head slowly fades back down leaving soapy bubbles on top. The lacing coats the glass evenly, fizzes and drops back down leaving a scattered spider web of foam.

Smell is nutty, woody, and piney. In the taste there is one thing that I remember, it was very bitter for just an IPA. Upon my first sip it was just how I remembered it being, long-lasting bitterness. If this were gum, it would be "Extra" longlasting gum. The bitterness just lasts and lasts and lasts.

There is something that I don't remember at all. I get a huge taste of watermelon. To be exact it actually tastes like a watermelon Jelly Belly with a piney after taste. The hop combo and flavor is very different from any IPA I've ever had. This definitely stands on it's own and is very unique. This could quench the bitter thirst of any West Coaster. And they'd be surprised to find out it wasn't a DIPA.

The malt doesn't really have a chance to shine through all these hops. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's anything more than base malt anyways.

Mouthfeel is so smooth and hoppy. There's a sensory overload in each sip. I'm thinking that unique flavor is from slight vegetable character because of all the hops that must be used in making this. Although I don't know how much hops are used in this brew either. There's definitely a hefty bittering addition though. I think they are using that flavor to their advantage though. But, even though I'm new to brewing, I could be wrong about this whole theory.

This was a great revisit. Smuttynose knows how to please a beer geek and is very underrated, IMO.

03-06-2010 03:36:23 | More by BearsOnAcid
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the B with soupedupdeisel. I've only had this one in a bottle a long time ago before I appreciated HOPS. I am now reviewing as a HOP ADONIS.

A - A yellowish peach color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. I think of the old video game "dig dug" when I look at the intricate lacing designs. Almost looks as though the little character that digs went around my whole glass carving out parts to create the image left on my glass.

S - Wow, did someone squeeze grapefruits and drip sap from pinecones into my glass??? To borrow part of my review from soupedupdeisel - "It smells like Christmas morning, does this beer come with presents?"

T - A medly of pine, hops, grapefruit, and almost no malt backbone. Not for the squeamish. Don't try to introduce your coors light drinking friends into the craft brew world with this one. They will choke and spit it up. This isn't quite the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted but it is the most piney. I feel like they tapped a tree and filled up my pint glass adding a shot of ground up pine cone at the end.

M - Very tight and crisp, nothing forgiving about this one. I feel like you'd either love it or hate it. Medium carbonation and in your face flavor. This is the gusher fruit snack of the beer world.

D - Even though the ABV is not that high... this one was a sipper for me. I was trying to keep some of my taste buds in tact for the next beer. Very bold ipa... very enjoyable.

03-05-2010 15:21:24 | More by DNICE555
CBlack85

South Carolina

3.2/5  rDev -22%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a orange-ish amber color with lots of floating particulates. I know the beer is unfiltered but this looks like swamp water, very unappealing. If I hadn't heard so many good things about this beer I would have drain poured it based on the appearance.

Unfortunately the aroma isn't helping redeem this beer for me. I expected to get a big hoppy nose, but I got more earthy, mildly malty smell with just the slightest hint of hops.

The taste is more impressive, but not by much. A fair amount of hop bitterness with lots of grapefruit and piney flavors. Nice clean flavor. Unfortunately I am still underwhelmed. While it is not terrible, it is certainly not terrific...

Although the appearance is disconcerting, and the aroma is lacking in character the flavor definately makes up for it.

03-05-2010 01:42:29 | More by CBlack85
kirkpjr

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours up a nice golden color with a full 2 finger head. Tons of floaters here. More than I am used to and probably have ever witnessed. Crazy to see this in an IPA.

S: Pine and floral hops. Very nice pungent smell.

T: Strong piney hops. Grassy and floral notes as well. Really no malt backbone at all here. A very unique IPA. Dry and hoppy with no real sweetness. Pleasantly surprised to find an IPA with all hop and no malt.

M: Nice crisp feel. A little bit creamy. Better than most but not outstanding.

D: Crisp and refreshing. Could session alot of these.

03-02-2010 02:02:32 | More by kirkpjr
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

The label says it's unfiltered and boy do I believe it. This pours out an astonishing amount of floaties. It looks like sea monkeys are living in my beer. I'm guessing this is a sign of collapsed proteins, a clear a sign of an overaged beer. Damn. The color is a murky golden brown topped by a 1.2" foamy head that lays down nice spots of lacing.

The neck label also says it's dry hopped. Neck label lies. The aroma is mostly grainy and in no way hoppy. The best before date says it's good until a notch between A and M of just past 10. Might it be too late already, with April 2010 just over a month away, and this coming from an unrefrigerated shelf somewhere in Buffalo? As it warms it's almost...earthy. Musty like a wet basement in the most humid days of August? Meh. Smuttynose indeed. Some caramel does come out as well, but at this point it's too little, too late.

Luckily it tastes way better that it smells, though with a modest amount of bitterness for an IPA, again likely due to the lack of freshness. Lots of grapefruit and tropical fruits with (weak though it is) a sticky, leafy, resiny bitterness that clings to every corner of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation and very creamy, all of which makes this go down easy.

This was a strange one for me. The aroma was off-putting and yet it tasted pretty good. But it wasn't at its freshest. Knowing this in some ways I feel it might not be fair to review this beer, but they came up with the best before date of April 2010, not me. For me the experience was a strong argument for putting bottled-on dates on IPAs rather than best-before dates.

02-26-2010 02:58:36 | More by MeisterBurger
brewbasterd

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden hue with yeast particle suspended throughout and a slightly off white head. Lots of citrus fruit on the nose and a little bit of sweetness. An almost perfect blend of flavoring and bitter hops with a sweet malt backbone, bright citrus upfront and a mouth puckering bitter finish. Dry mouthfeel and a medium body, flavors stick to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. This is a tremendous brew that nails it, a great beer all around.

02-26-2010 01:29:20 | More by brewbasterd
josefnewsong

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A - pours a clear, light golden orange with a decent amount of head that leaves lacing like crazy
S - ooo...smells a bit musty. skunky isn't the word but it has something a little different in there...like if BO smelled good it would smell like that. Definitely the hops but possibly yeast as well. I like it
T - at first it was a bit unbalanced, the hops dominating everything with a citrus/grapefruit flavor with a lot of earthiness. Good flavors, but unbalanced. Then as the beer warmed the malts came out and the hops became a little bit more subdued. That's when this ale came to life for me.
M - medium bodied, smooth, sticky, well-carbonated. All around good.
D - definitely drinkable

*This brew was significantly different on tap than in a bottle, neither better nor worse. I would say that I remember the bottled version being more "standard" IPA and the draft version standing out a bit more.

02-23-2010 20:14:53 | More by josefnewsong
buschbeer

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of off white head. It is is orange in color and has some yeast floating around in it. It smells sweet and citrusy, orange , lemon, grapefruit. The taste, however, is all grapefruit. I prefer a grapefruit taste to a pine taste, which is odd considering I like gin. It's a nice IPA, but the grapefruit taste is a little too much for my liking.

Cheers!

02-20-2010 02:02:34 | More by buschbeer
joemeister

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Just had some of this with my brother.

Pours with a frothy head, leaving minimal lace. The beer looks almost syrupy or viscous and it has very small bits of suspended sediment. Color is a cloudy amber.

The beer has a very nice hoppy aroma. A strong vein of pine and orange shines through.

This is undoubtedly an IPA. The hops offer a great floral bitterness with a smoother pine/orange finish. Carbonation is relatively mild and the beer has a medium-thin body. The aftertaste is an unmistakable bouquet of apricot-like hops. This is a satisfying execution, and it does the IPA style justice. I could easily go through three or four of these; although I do wish the hops had a *little* more bite (my brother and I prefer in-your-face liquid agression). But overall, the flavor profile is very, very well-balanced.

02-17-2010 23:13:21 | More by joemeister
mkyle

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance- a nice golden hue, similar to a a light apple cider. mild sediment is visible. weak to moderate lacing properties.sustains the head for about 2 minutes.

Smell- dominant hoppy aroma overshadows the sweetness of the beer. the balance favors the hops.

Taste- bitter hoppy taste. mildy acid tasting in the mouth. good sustain on the aftertaste. aftertaste has a hint of pine flavor, probably from the dry hopping. The
composition of the taste really lets you appreciate the flavor of whatever hops are used to brew this beer.

Mouthfeel- not an agressive beer at all. goes down very smooth. good balance of smoothness with hoppy taste.

Drinkability- good drinkability. the final swig really brought out the true bitterness of this brew. overall, definitely a hop-biased beer but not over the top.
respectable balance. i appreciate this beer.

02-17-2010 23:04:29 | More by mkyle
JohnL9013

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Typical golden IPA color. Deep glowing awesomeness, excellent head with lacing included.

S: Excellent hop nose showcasing quite a large quantity of hops used in the brewing process. The smell is clean, citrusey, and pungent, as it should be.

T: This is at the top end of "IPA" and nearing the bottom end of "DIPA". Extremely strong, extremely delicious. I was floored by how the sweet, tangy, and bitter flavors mingled and separated in my mouth. This IPA is truly a cut above the rest. Oh, and the hops are insanely good, and there's loads of em.

M: Nearly perfect, low carbonation, extremely smooth and fresh.

D: I could drink this stuff all night. A fine brew.

02-15-2010 06:21:53 | More by JohnL9013
Arenbeer

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz bottle into glass

A- Pours a Cloudy golden orange with a slight yellow hue. Thinner white head on top that leaves a few blotches of lacing but nothing to crazy. A bit of sediment floats about in my glass but i'm not complaining haha Adds to the look and flavor IMO. That's how you know it's a good brew!

S- Floral hops up front with a slight citrus. Getting some fruits in the backround, possibly mango, pineapple, or some kind of orange or tangerine.

T- Delicious hops hit you first with a sweet citrus backround belended with possibly some tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, or tangerine. Can't quite put my finger on the flavor but man is it good.

M- Medium to light body that holds a slight bitter with every sip. After it goes down the carbonation hits your tounque and a bit of dryness comes out. But not to much

Overall this is a really great I.P.A. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Skål!

02-13-2010 06:22:53 | More by Arenbeer
tchurchill7

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

How have I not ever reviewed this beer? I think this beer began my true odyssey into IPAs back about 5 years ago. Once you taste a fabulous beer, your next adventure becomes finding out what is even better, sometimes forgetting the old friend that is your first. My road has come full circle. I've found many delicious IPAs, but I'll be damned if I can find one better than Smuttynose Finestkind IPA. Citrusy, chewy, and hoppy as all get out. Yet, that honeylike malt flavor is just amazing. And floaties? I love 'em. So consistent, and so easy to find fresh and cheap in central MA. I'm back in love....

02-08-2010 03:28:07 | More by tchurchill7
albertjr21

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A cloudy unfiltered haze can be seen up close in its golden amber color under an inch of moderately dense head.

Initial smell and mouthfeel were loaded with citrus flavor and grapefruit bitterness in particular.

Very Hoppy. Great drinkability. Quite refreshing.

02-07-2010 03:30:22 | More by albertjr21
sitarist

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

12oz bottle, best by date June-10.

A- Pours a golden/honey color. Short white head, fades to patches and a ring. Lacing is pretty heavy. Lots of floaters.

S- Lemon-heads, pine, powdered sugar, citrus notes. I also smell a Belgian like yeast. For everything sour there is a sweet counter.. I cant believe this is an IPA.

T- Orange rind, pineapple, something almost minty/menthol. You can taste a nice yeasty, sourdough funk. The best IPA that Ive had.

M- Wet, medium body, carbonation is right on and dances on your tongue. Not to thin not to sticky. The beers bitterness does not effect its wonderful finish.

D- Its bitter but balanced. For me this is as close to perfect a beer can be.

F.T.- One of the best beers that Ive ever had, the best IPA. The yeast really took this to another level.

02-07-2010 02:42:53 | More by sitarist
Polifemo

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at Alibis in Carlisle, PA. Golden color, light carbonation. Some sticky lace left behind with each sip. This beer is hard to sip, though. Aroma is pungent, with grapefruit, pine, peaches and marihuana. Flavor is luscious sweetness spiked with bitterness and suffused with the same elements that are found in the aroma. Very drinkable. Tangy, lip-smacking finish. Like smoking marihuana while chewing peach-flavored bubblegum. A highly entertaining beer to drink. A veritable circus of flavor.

02-06-2010 12:28:32 | More by Polifemo
jameswaldo

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm drinking my way slowly through a sixpack best before April 2010. I love having those happy plaid-shirted dudes on their lawnchairs laughing at me every time I open the fridge, and hope to keep at least a few fresh bottles in there at all times. One of my favorite IPAs for sure.
Before pouring bottle, make sure to gently stir up sediment so yeast and chunks of hops all get from bottle into a pint glass.
If you're lucky a bit of hop flower will show up in your dense lumpy head, where the gorgeous home-brew look of unfiltered hopped from head to toe IPA will reward a moment's appraisal.
Definitely worth sniffing for what beer should smell like: hops and yeast and alcohol so huge I don't feel malt but don't miss it either. Taste is a tangled complication of every kind of hop you'd want: bitter balancing floral, sweet and turpentiney piney too.
Mouthfeel like a bagful of fierce pussycats carefully holding their claws in paws: tickles hairy happy hop tingling yowl yummy. Fumes of hop aftertaste persist longer than glass can stay full. Makes me want a chart for my tongue: where are all these tastes fitting? How many flavors of bitter can you possibly taste?
I just love this brew. Fridge must always have it. If it were less expensive and brewed closer to home, I'd drink more of it more often.

02-05-2010 16:31:11 | More by jameswaldo
PorterLambic

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours mostly clear though there were some suspended bits seen. A light yellow/orange color with a small head that dissipated within 90 seconds, leaving no lace.
Smell is hops foremost, then malt, citrus, some pine and wheat. Decent balance.
Taste is hops taking the lead with a strong resin aspect. Very light malt and spice. Citrus just not here.
Hops is biting, almost harsh. It arrives with plenty of attitude. Fairly dry with a somewhat mellowing hop finish and a hint of grape late. Medium-light body, good effervescence. Altogether, pretty good though I think I would have preferred it with some complimentary food rather than by itself.

02-03-2010 17:16:08 | More by PorterLambic
devilben02

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smuttynose Finestkind IPA written as a set of patent claims:

1. A potent potable comprising:
twelve fluid ounces of an India pale ale (IPA) having a yellow-orange color, a thin, fizzy head, and a plurality of small floating particles suspended therein;
wherein the aroma of said IPA comprises one or more hop characteristics selected from the group consisting of earthy, piney, and citrus;
wherein the flavor of said IPA comprises an initial earthy hop bitterness and a successive brightness of a grapefruit and orange citrus hop character, said hops being at least partially balanced by a bready maltiness; and
wherein said IPA is refreshing, but still provides a sticky bitterness that lingers on the tongue.

2. The potent potable of claim 1, wherein said IPA is drinkable, satisfying, and a solid representative of the style.

02-03-2010 04:48:23 | More by devilben02
travduke

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Golden body, 2 finger head with lacing that sticks down the entire pint glass. Lovely.

Smell: Citrus hops surround my nose with hints of floral. Lot of fruity esters in this one.

Taste: Just like the smell but a lot more hop foward. This beer defines what an American IPA should be.

02-03-2010 03:22:39 | More by travduke
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smuttynose's flagship IPA shows the classic character of the style, but doesn't relegate its balance to assertive malt presence, but rather adds complexities from soft esters and alcohol complexes instead.

Their "Finest Kind" pours lightly golden and with the signature dry-hopped haze and sediment for more hoppy goodness. It builds a stark- white head that nearly billows to the rim of the glass- showing off its elevated carbonation. As the froth settles into blanketed coat, it laces the glass with decorative random patterns. Its simply a very appetizing IPA, even to the eye.

Hop-heavy on the nose with bold citrus fruits of grapefruit, orange zest, lemons, pineapples, and tropical medley; the beer's perfumy and floral upstart is supported by light caramel malts that provide a juicy, vine-ripened sweetness to the citrus and tropical notes but never try to rival the hop aromas.

And the beer's hop-centric taste is consistent from its aromatics: citrus, tropical fruits, and fresh-cut grass on the early and middle palate leaves behind an ultra resiny pine bitterness to finish. Fruity esters give a sweet alcohol note of rose and spice. Interestingly, these flavors amplifies the sweetness as it seems to smooth out its bitter bite. Again, caramel malts provide firm underpinnings for the hop display but they never get in the way. The beer is simply an exhibition of American hops.

Crisp, clean, and playfully malty up front, the caramelly grains give way soon after the initial taste, allowing the hop character of bitterness, dryness, and bite to carry the beer deep into the finish and aftertaste. It's a true thirst-quencher.

Finest Kind is a quintessential IPA with a complex hop mix, crisp and understated hops, and noticeable esters and alcohols. Consistent and through from nose to finish.

01-31-2010 05:11:32 | More by BEERchitect
laituegonflable

Australia

Pours a pale-ish golden colour, with a light haze, and a pleasantly generous head, sinks in spots but nice and dense on top, white, with visible webbed bubbles around the edge. Leaves nice specks of lace around. Nice looker.

Nose is a nicely hoppy affair, lots of fruit and floral characters, with rosewater, citrus and passionfruit providing the majority of aroma. A fairly tartaric character as well, with sweet hints of sherbet and musk as well. Yeah, that rosewater makes it really quite sweet, but well tempered by more citric hop characters.

Taste has a goodly amount of malt at first and providing a backbone throughout. Rich molasses on there without it being too sweet. Bitterness hits early and continues throughout. An impressive American hoppiness with lots of citrus, orange zest and a bit of mandarin on there as well. Slight grassy notes and hints of medicinal phenols towards the back. Bitterness is not overpowering, with hints of tanginess on there, but little of the sweetness lingering. Very pleasant IPA, frankly though not all that distinctive, just pleasant, nicely used hops. A solid effort.

Feel is nicely full and textured, a bit fuzzy with nice bubbles and a nice, interesting roughness to complement the bitter flavours. Very pleasant.

01-28-2010 22:27:02 | More by laituegonflable
SteveS1

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Ah, Smuttynose, I love your malty, robust big beers, but will I love your IPA?

From the bottle to a stout glass:

Look- an orange hue, and wait, what the heck is floating in there? Sediment in my bottled IPA? This is something else... Tall frothy white head.

Smell- Glorious bitter hops, orange citrus

Taste- Tasty sweet citrus on the tongue, clean hops finish. Bitter hops aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A bit thick for an IPA, but smooth. I suspect it would be smoother had I chilled it more.

Drinkability- If you like IPAs, this is a fine example and plenty easy to drink. If you don't like the style, be warned, the bitterness is up there.

01-26-2010 02:47:49 | More by SteveS1
imaguitargod

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

Finally available in Ohio so I picked up one of these much talked about IPAs. Poured to a 1 finger head and the beer is golden in color and with loads of carbonation. There’s a hint of 2-Row malt up front and after that it’s nothing but hoppy goodness. I want to say there’s some Cascade there but the after taste is something else, very grassy which I’m not sure if I like it or not. It’s a good IPA otherwise.

~Jonathan Passow