1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An IPA which is certainly fine in its own regard but which when compared with the vast array of other IPAs out there is better than average but not a show stealer in my opinion. Pours a hazy tan with not alot of head in my sample. Typical hoppy aroma and flavor but I've had crisper IPAs.

A giant leap up from mass produced beers, just not the "finest kind" of IPA in my opinion.

MoreThanWine, Aug 30, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: bright yet cloudy gold color ( sounds like an oxymoron I know) rich appealing look.

Smell: lovely strong hop aroma burn the eyes a little: exciting bouquet

Taste: Incredibly delicious juicy grapefruit luxurious hoppyness throughout just enough sweetness breaking though: not too much as that would certainly not be kosher or worthy of a 5 in exceptional taste. This exquisite taste lingers a very long time warming and satisfying. Have I found the perfect beer?

Mouthfeel: light and enjoyable

Drinkability is very high.

This is a phenomenal beer seek it out. you don't have to be a hop head to enjoy it. There is a mellowness to it.

sdmrtn, Aug 30, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"
Smuttynose Brewing Co.
American IPA
ABV?
OG?
IBUs?
12 oz bottle with a best before date of January 2011 poured into a Bell's tulip.

Apperance 4.5/5
Bright orange-yellow, moderately clear, with a white head that receded to a rather thin one with excellent lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Faintly grassy, resiny, earthy hops. Strangely, I detect some pils like aroma! Shouldn't be earthy or pils like, but there is an European angle here in my opinion.

Taste 4.0/5
Very faint, below usual, touch of sweetness to begin, some citrus, assertively bitter taste & after taste. Certainly hop forward. Bitterness bomb, actually. Not bitter in a bad way but bitter, and trust me, I've had my share of bitter (Devil Dancer etc.).

Mouthfeel 4.0/5
Well carbonated, with some maltiness, so I'll call it medium and balanced.

Drinkability 5/5
Very high.

tewaris, Aug 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: I enjoyed this hazy, golden orange white topped IPA in my Duvel tulip glass. A nice thick head sat up top, and lasted the whole way down, leaving big sticky lacing.

Smell: This beer is potent, and you know that as soon as you open it. Full of citrus - grapefruit - and pine with a bit of spice and some nice malt.

Taste: Full flavored; starts off with strong bitter hops, moving to more pine and grapefruit, finishing with a tasty malt ending. Warming up, this beer gets even more complex, giving some esters of alcohol and more spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with lively carbonation.

Drinkability/Palitability: High. That 6 pack did not last long.

Notes: An amazing example of an American IPA. Big hops, with a solid backing. Great job.

halo21, Aug 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip, courtesy of korguy123 via LIF. BBD of about a couple months from now. Cheers man.

Pours a golden orange, with a finger and a half of bright white head, quickly diminishing to a soapy collar and leaving sheets of chunky lacing. Hazy body and I can see some sediment floating around in here, carbonation just streaming off the bottom of this one. Aroma is exceptionally pronounced here (might be a function of the bottling date), but I can dig out some peach and grapefruit amongst other fruits, and a bit of lemon in here? Taste ascertains my lemon rind inclinations, with some upfront bitterness and a thinner malt base than I would've liked. The other fruits play more minor roles here (grapefruit and some pineapple), but are still present. Taste greatly improves as it warms, really starting to like this. Good and fairly smooth mouthfeel, with medium-high carbonation and good drinkability, especially given that it's my day off and it's a beautiful day outside.

liamt07, Aug 24, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A-cloudy copper with a large fluffy foam head that really sticks around.
S-Like eating a grapefruit sitting in a pine tree while somebody roasts a pineapple.
T-I am not a hop head, some beers over do with the hops andreally don't mesh the flavor into a brew I would like to drink, this beer does. It has a nice bitter front with a grapefruite/pineapple middle and a dry finish.
M-Nice and slick felt like what an ale should feel like
D- smooth, easy, and refreshing would be nice around a campfire or on a summerday

rcwhiteky, Aug 24, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Thick, billowing head; dark yellowish brown hue with great retention; lacing is intricate--lovely looking beer

S: Citrus and tea leaves and a slightly sour graininess; a little bit of funky skunkiness comes up even though this hasn't been sitting on the shelves long

T: Nice hop bitterness but a touch of skunk peaks through--I hope this bottle wasn't light contaminated somehow--there is a earthy grainy quality that is pleasant on top of the citrus from the hops

F: Good even mouth coat

D: The touch of skunk became a bit wearing; but I liked the balance of a graininess and maltiness; good beer all in all

dbossman, Aug 24, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. Golden orange colored with perfect head. Thick & meringue-like, leaving very nice lacing behind. Slightly hazy, but overall, a good looking beer.

Aroma was a bit of a letdown. This beer was dated "Best by Nov 2010". I don't know when that means it was bottled, but it doesn't seem like it would be too old with that date. However, the aroma was just so flat & bland. I had a NG Moon Man afterwards & it popped aroma-wise, so it wasn't me having an off aroma day -- it was just not IPA like. No citrus character. Maybe just a smidge of pine aroma, bit of malt -- that's it.

On the other hand, I liked the taste of this beer pretty well. Nice malt character, bit of sweetness and great killer bitterness -- intense but not a harsh bitterness -- very nice. Some reasonable hop flavor elements too with a little pine, bit of grapefruit in flavor. So much better than I was expecting from the aroma.

Mouthfeel was nice. Came across as malty but light-bodied simultaneously -- just what I like in an IPA. Overall, this is a hard beer to judge because of the aroma weakness. But the flavor is certainly more important to the drinkability & I enjoyed this beer pretty well.

mklinger, Aug 24, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this one just a few minutes ago, and I have to say I'm was VERY Impressed.

Appearance: Hazy orange in color with a thick bubbly off white eggshell head. GORGEOUS Presentation especially in a decorated glass german stein.

Smell: Grapefruit and Hopcones with pines, accompanied by very slight aromas of a loaf of challah. Quite nice overall.

Taste: RIDDLED with Grapefruit and accompanied by grassy hops and pines. If there is any pale malt I can't really distinguish it. Good flavor overall.

Mouthfeel: Smooth in texture with a watery complexion feels and works well with the rest of the beer.

Drinkability: This beer encompasses so much with so little effort: its Sharp, Crisp, Powerful, Mild, and Smooth all in one. Its Excellent overall and I could Easily drink several on a hot summers day.

I also feel that it is necessary for me to mention that American IPA's are undoubtedly my least favorite style of beer and I'd go as far as to say that I DETEST them. So to say that I think this one is exceptional and that I really like it means that it stands out as an exceptional beer among a style that I have no other interest in. Truly an excellent beer.

MBPChead, Aug 24, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Best before Jan 2011 date on bottle.

A - Somewhat cloudy orange with some darker golden hues. After pouring, a head about one finger high bubbles up and retains nicely, along with plenty of lacing around the glass.

S - Fresh, clear hops along with some oily citrus. Not overpowering but pretty nice.

T - Crisp, clean hop profile with plenty of pine, grapefruit and other associated fruits. There's a boatload of juicy bitterness, with a slight touch of malt sweetness. The dry, tingly finish lingers for a while, as the hops continue to stick to your palate.

M - Sticky, dry, and bitterness all apply themselves to your tongue and hold fast.

D - This IPA is just so delicious it's tough not to plow through these too quickly. The alcohol is masked well and the hops are flavorful throughout the entire serving.

Forget whatever $13 six pack you're about to buy and pick this up instead. Smuttynose IPA is a huge bang for your buck beer that's easily a fridge staple.

xnicknj, Aug 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this beer a while ago and liked it. On a whim I bought a case and have been very pleased with this IPA

A: I am a home brewer and I like cloudy or dirty looking brews. Smuttynose must not filter this beer which is a big plus. Every pour of this beer is a murky light amber with a bold white fluffy head. AS the beer settles there is a strong hop haze and plenty of lacing.

S: Finast Kind smells like sweet citrus hops, there is a hop bloom on opening the bottle which is again a big plus for an IPA.

T: I love the intense grapefruit flavor of this beer which ends with a touch of sweet hop character. The hops stick to my lips another quality I expect in a great IPA.

M: This IPA is not thin, the hop oils last after every drink sticking to the roof of my mouth....awesome.

D: Excellent, is now one of my go to beers for a daily drinker.

I also have to add that this IPA is 31.99 on avg here in central pa which is on the cheaper side. I love this dirty IPA and I love that Smuttynose keeps the price points affordable for people like me!!

jorg2619, Aug 22, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

A-pours a golden hazy honey with some sediment flying around, white thick frothy head with some lacing.
S- Muted grapefruit notes malts do make an appearance
T- Nice bitter grapefruit and citrus hop taste with a bready malty taste and feel
M- Definitely one of the more stronger points of this beer. Somewhat chewy thick and carbonation done well.
D- can go through plenty of these
A very solid above average IPA pick one up if you see one although i wouldnt go out of my way to find it.

foogerd, Aug 22, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Served chilled from 12oz bottle, about 40 degrees. Nice honey color with thin lacing. Starts off with strong taste and smell of hops but has a very drinkable appeal and not overpowering. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but I definitely recommend this to first time tryers.

DrRosenscrotum, Aug 22, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz bottle poured into a long trail Vermont pint glass.

Pours a a hazy orange color with a small what head with some light white lacing. Nose quite fruity and sweet, like a tamer big a ipa.

Taste is really well balanced, quite hoppy bit ts got a great malty backbone. The bitterness becomes a bit abrasive. Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp.

kingcrowing, Aug 22, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

A friend left this at my house after a party... Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Really nice look to it--cloudy, unfiltered--truly honey-colored (not too yellow or orange). Doesn't get a "5.0" because there is too much sediment and the only warning is in small print on the neck label.

Smells very good. Not overpoweringly hoppy or yeasty. Something sweet and slightly acrid, but pleasant.

Tastes really good for an IPA (I'm generally not a big fan). Was going to give it a 4.0, but as I write I am noticing a really unpleasant aftertaste warranting a half-point reduction. Aftertaste is bitter, burnt, and soapy.

Good strong body, slightly foamy, and nice. Points for mouthfeel.

Drinkability is a 3,0 for me. It's too bitter and the aftertaset too overridingly bad to have more than 1 or 2. That said, there are a lot of nice things about this beer and I can't give it a bad score here, so a 3.0 it is.

Kooz, Aug 20, 2010

Poured into a snifter on 1/14/10

Best before June 2010

Pale apricot/amber in color. Pours just over one finger of foam that dissipates to a bubbly layer after a few minutes, leaving good lacing. Thin but decent retention. Lacing is ok, but sporadic.

Floral hop aroma with notes of pine & citrus. Lemon zest, tangerine & orange peel. Pale malts in the background. Faint spiciness, too. There is a noticeable sweetness in the nose; it's rather juicy, so possibly from the citric notes. Undertones of grass.

Tastes of piney bitterness upfront with traces of floral hops throughout. There's some ripe citrus in there, but it's less apparent than in the nose & harder to distinguish. Modest spiciness is appreciable. Pale malts & hints of toasted bread in the background.

Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation that is simultaneously creamy & zesty; hmm... There's even a little resiny grit to be found. Dry bitterness lingers on the finish.

"Finest kind" has grown on me over the six pack. It's a very solid effort & I'm glad Smuttynose has come to Ohio. I'll likely enjoy this again from time to time.

Ryan011235, Aug 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance - dark golden color with 1 finger of white head that leaves a nice lacing

Smell - very floral, don't smell any other spices, just hopps

Taste/ Mouthfeel - Very smooth then the hops kick in to give it a bite, then it has a mellow and smooth aftertaste but does leave my mouth a little dry, not as bad as other IPAs i've had

Drinkability - very drinkable will definitely buy again, this is the second best IPA I've had thus far

jmarvin4189, Aug 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle served in a Goose Island IPA tulip glass

A - Cloudy amber with visible yeast flakes. A massive white head leaves behind exquisite lacing. One of the best looking IPAs I've had.

S - Grapefruit and orange with a little yeast.

T - Citric acid and floral hops with a fleeting hint of malt up front. The bitterness lasts throughout and stays in control. This is a one-note wonder (and the inverse of the one note featured in many eastern IPAs), and although it's not overly complex, I love this for that specific reason.

M - Medium-bodied with adequate carbonation. The unfiltered nature of this makes it almost milky at times, & the intense bitterness leaves the mouth puckering. Unique and magnificent mouthfeel.

D - Due to my intense love of intensely bitter hops, this is right up my alley and very easy to drink for 6.9%. Others may find the bitterness too powerful to have many.

What a fantastic beer! It's been a couple of years since I've purchased this, and I waited far too long. The best east-of-Michigan IPA which I've had.

klikger, Aug 19, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Appears a hazy, golden, orange color with an average off-white head that leaves some lacing.

Smells very earthy and piney, with some nice bready malt balance. The first tastes upfront are some goods malts. There's a good pine flavor, with a tiny amount of citrus in the flavor. This finishes very dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with an average amount of carbonation. This is fairly drinkable, but not something I would sit down a drink more than two in a night. The bitterness can really overtake your palate, and wear it down after a while.

zimm421, Aug 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Had a pleasant golden opaque color and prevalent floaters. This beer is unpasturized. Minimal head and lace. The smell is somewhat faint. Hints of yeast and grapefruit tingle the nose. Has a very plesant mellow taste. Well ballanced describes this beer well. Traces of grapefruit and bittersweetess. The finest kind has a refreshing cool crisp mouthfeel. The bitterness stays on the roof of your mouth. I find this to be a very well ballanced and flavorful beer. They claim the its the "finest kind" and i wouldnt hold it against smuttynose.

FrothyBeverage, Aug 18, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A-Hazy orange with a fluffy head. Head retains well and leaves good lacing.

S-Piney hops dominate but there is some grapefruit in there as well. Hop foward. Light caramel malt. Not an overly powerful nose,but still pleasantly aromatic.

T-More potent than the nose. Piney bitterness takes the lead. Grapefruit/cirtrus is quite prevalent as well. This one's a bitter beer. Represents the East Coast IPA well.

M-Lighter medium body. Dry and bitter. Flavor lasts. Surprisingly light.

D-Very drinkable. A go-to beer.

The two old guys living the dream on the label justifies the name "Finest Kind". This beer needs to be fresh in order to be fully appreciated. Always a dependable brew in my book. Quite cheap too. May be my number one beer to buy a 12 pack of.

VelvetExtract, Aug 18, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

A - A fingers and half worth of creamy off-white head with the faintest of pink hues... The color is equal part medium gold and orange... Rapid carbonation races to the top throughout... Some trace amounts of sediment abound...

S - Clean crisp citrus... Grapefruit... Orange zest... Partial piney with some additional floral notes... A mild biscuity caramel base lies beneath...

T - Sharp contrast between citrusy grapefruit and piney hops... The malt base is deep down in this one but hardly worth mentioning... A bit soapy... Exceedingly bitter finish... Flirts with being slightly off putting...

M - Starts lush and finishes dry... Exquisitely smooth... Medium bodied... Appropriate carbonation... Strong bitter kick blasts the tongue on the finish that lingers and than lingers some more...

D - A solid IPA all the way around... Much more assertive than I expected... Hop forward, but lacking in complexity... Not enough malt for my liking...

philbe311, Aug 18, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

A - a copper color with a quick fading head that leaves a nice laving

S - a verry piney flora smell that dominates the smell.

T - a very dry bitterness at first sip, and laeaves a very bitter aftertaste. alsmot to bitter for me.

M - medium carbnation and body.

D - over all it is a easy drinking ipa. that i'm not to crazy about

joeland, Aug 17, 2010

Pours an almost clear amber orange color with a full cap of foamy white head. Scent is of citrus and tropical fruits balanced nicely with piney and floral notes. Taste brings the above mentioned hop notes without too much bitterness, a grahmn crackery malt background is also present. Medium bodied, coating and slightly oily, slightly dry finnish, maybe a touch over carbonated. A good solid IPA, would love one a touch fresher since this case seems to be from the early spring.

rfgetz, Aug 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

A - A deepish amber with a orange hue and an inch of nice foam. Pretty nice IPA.

S - Mostly of pine with little citrus. Malt really seems to take over a bit since the age.

T - Starts off dry and hoppy. Just the way I like it so age really made no difference in the hop profile except I got piratically no citrus just straight up pine. Finishes dry and wet.

M - Medium bodied and a refreshing ipa.

D - Pretty nice to sample. Will have to check the dates more frequently since this one was best before April 2010. Way past it's prime but still drinking great. Can get a sixer for 9.99 so affordable as well. Nice!

DrDemento456, Aug 16, 2010