Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
bamadog

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked a few bottles of Smuttynose offerings from the Vintage Cellar. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a beautiful coppery yellow with a nice 1 and 1/2 finger, thick and fluffy head that is ever-so-slightly off white and fades to a pretty full and thick skim; a nice full curtain of lacing; body is fairly hazy and shows pretty strong carbonation bubbling up throughout.

Smell: Nice and bitter hop presence with a strong citrusy background of grapefruit, orange and lemon peel -- not much else to the nose, but this will definitely do the trick.

Taste: Very similar to the nose with a ton of hoppy and citrusy bitterness with all of the flavors listed above; the nice suprise here is the slightly sweet malty backing that provides just a hint of balance, yet allows the bitter to run rampant over my palate, which is great and exactly what I was looking for tonight.

Mouthfeel: Very full and creamy body with a nice carbonation that keeps it lively and doesn't allow it to just "sit" there; still manages to leave a nice stickiness throughout the mouth.

Drinkability: Quite high. I love the flavors, and it's very refreshing and balanced just enough. I think the only thing I really don't like about this beer is the label -- what's up with the old dudes in the lawn chairs?

07-15-2009 23:21:06 | More by bamadog
alleykatking

Indiana

12oz bottle in a trade with kmurray8621 aka Kevin...thanks for everything!

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow slight amber color. One finger eggshell white head that melted away to sticky lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass.

S- After trying to smell something but really can't at all. I had to let this sit and warm for a short bit but then could smell some sweet malts kind of toasted a little. Citrus hops make a little presence but still hides in the background.

T- Big sweet malts upfront with a strong bitterness that clashes right upfront. The balance is pretty good. Middle shows a little bit of alcohol to it but ends up with a good citrus/slight bitter hop taste.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel. Good carbonation that lets the beer flow across the palate very nice. Leaves a bitter hop taste on the tounge that leaves you wanting more.

D- This is a very well put together IPA. This is my first time with this and well...I'll be looking for some more here soon.

07-13-2009 04:18:05 | More by alleykatking
daledeee

Iowa

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Bought this because I recognized the name and can't get it in Iowa.

Pours a dark gold clear color with a medium head. A citrus nose with a hint of smokiness at the first sniff. Very fresh smelling.

Taste is citrus like grapefruit(oils or rind) and hops. Malt is present. The taste is very balanced and fresh. The aftertaste is very long lasting and strong. Very easy to drink. A very fine IPA

07-12-2009 23:44:57 | More by daledeee
CampusCrew

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

wowsers, nice IPA

appearance: golden amber hues, almost red

smell: loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: like hops of course, this beer is loaded with it. I think this is my fasvorite IPA so far.

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth. and goes great with spicy snacks or meals.

07-12-2009 15:43:23 | More by CampusCrew
kels

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at the Vintage Cellar, quite possibly my favorite place in my new hometown of Blacksburg, VA. I've only been here for 4 days, and I've already been there 3 times. Maybe I should slow down...maybe. Review is on the bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy warm golden yellow with tons of carbonation running throughout. The initial 1 finger white frothy head fades to a patchy skim and leaves behind tons of sticky lacing.

Smell: The aroma is really light, barely detectable toasty malt with a hint of citrus hops. Not much there, but seems to grow a little as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Really tasty beer. Flavors of bitter grapefruit rind and grassy hops dominate on a solid backbone of toasty malt. The balance is really nice, with enough bitterness to really please IPA fans. Slight bite from the alcohol shows up in the aftertaste, along with a little soapiness that doesn't ruin the effect. Feel is mouthfilling and somewhat creamy thanks to the fizzy carbonation that spreads the beer throughout the palate. It leaves a slight sticky residue behind.

Drinkability: Really, really high. This is a really nice IPA that offers solid bitterness without much sweetness. I will definitely make this a regular in my rotation.

07-07-2009 01:28:33 | More by kels
rkcrozier

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - pale orange with a hint of cloudiness

S - overwhelming hops with hints of citrus and honey undertones

T - wow...it was a bit overwhelming for me as I am not the biggest fan of hoppy beers but have to appreciate what's going on here. The bite was way in the forefront but once subsided it, I tasted a bit of honey smoothness.

M - there was a overwhelming bite of hops that took the enjoyment out of the taste for me, a lingering aftertaste that was hard to get rid of made it difficult to get past

D - overall I think this was a decent beer as I am not a fan of IPA's but want to be fair with my review. I've had better, like Victory Hop Devil but this isn't the worst. Glad I bought the mixed 12 pack so I can try their other offerings!

07-06-2009 13:41:06 | More by rkcrozier
righlander

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Ok, first off I read the review from the bro's on this one like a year ago, and I finally found it like a year later. So of course I had to buy a 6 pack of it because the bro's and everyone rated it so highly.

Pours a nice deep pale from a 12oz bottle to a grand pilsner glass. Nice pillow like foamy 1 inch head. sticky looking lace.
Smell is very piney. Like really piney. Smells great, got some citrus flowery hoppy goodness going on here. Smells like a good IPA.
Taste is nice. you get a nice hoppy sting with this one. The body is perfectly balanced to it though. big time piney hop aftertaste kicking in. This beer is a great IPA. I have 3 favorite IPA's: Sierra Nevada Torpedo is prolly my number one choice...Great Divide Titan IPA is Fantastic too. And last but surely not least: Sierra Nevada Celebration ale! I would definitely rank Smuttynose up there with those 3. A very nice IPA. I will surely buy this one again and I'm glad I bought a 6 pack :)

07-03-2009 00:48:16 | More by righlander
aaronxsubaru

4.47/5  rDev +9%

This impressed me. Having had 60 min ipa this stuck me as more drinkable. I had this with some cheese witch the saltyness in the cheese went well with it. I think this is a well balaced aproach to an ipa and many would find this easier to try than some other ipas if you aren't used to hoppy beers.

07-01-2009 01:36:23 | More by aaronxsubaru
indiapaleale

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours tangerine orange, nice and clean/clear with 3/4 inch of well conditioned foamy white head.

Smell is piney and resiny with some citrus notes (lemon/lime/grapefruit) lingering as well. The hop profile is quite sharp, almost astringent.

Taste is pure IPA-bliss. Very citrusy and piney. This one starts bitter on the tongue and finishes with a very sharp, crisp bite at the end. Definitely one of my favorite IPAs on the East Coast.

Smutty hits all the marks with this no-nonsense IPA. One of the best IMO.

06-30-2009 01:54:25 | More by indiapaleale
JMD

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Cloudy amber color with some sediment floating around. 2-inch pillowy head that dissipates slowly.

S: The aroma is practically all hops. Juicy red grapefruit, piney resin, some grass and floral notes. Maybe some malty, bready notes as well, but I had to really search for them.

T: Exactly what you would expect after smelling this beer, huge hop flavor. The taste of fresh grapefruit just explodes in your mouth on the first sip. Some piney and grassy elements as well, but the citrus dominates.

M: Light carbonation, medium bodied. There is almost a creaminess to this beer. Very nice.

D: This is great IPA from an East Coast brewer, but I can't drink more than a few of these. The bitterness is overpowering. It lingers in your mouth and on your lips long after you've finished. I prefer my IPA to be a bit more balanced, but for someone who loves that mouth-puckering bitterness, this is your beer.

06-28-2009 21:36:36 | More by JMD
babaracas

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Brown 12oz, best by Nov. 2009. Pours a darker amber, lots of sediment, one finger white head remains. Smell: grassy, toasty, citrus rind, orangey, earthy, yeasty. The nose doesn't exactly scream hop bomb, but it's still nice. Taste: puckering bitterness overlaid on a sweet toasty malt background. Lemon and orange rind, white grapefruit, earthy and grassy, medicinal touch in the finish. Quite tasty, but a little odd... nearly a palate obliterater in a smaller (abv, ibu) package.

06-28-2009 03:56:27 | More by babaracas
FickleBeast

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Smuttynose pint glass. Bottle is notched to enjoy prior to December 09.

A - Pours dark yellow and hazy with one finger of head. Leaves a sheet of lace down the glass as I drink

S - strong grassy, hay like aroma. Very nice.

T - harshly bitter - I usually enjoy hoppy, unbalanced beers, but this particular bitterness is not doing it for me. Maybe it's the grassy flavor I'm getting, I tend to prefer the citrusy, grapefruit hops.

M - refreshing, curls the back of your tongue

D - Too bitter to be truly drinkable - unbalanced. The malt doesn't back up the hops here.

Overall, decent IPA. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it again, but it would satisfy a hop craving in a pinch.

06-25-2009 04:06:35 | More by FickleBeast
aubuc1

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

12 oz bottle dated best by November 2009 poured in to a goblet.

Pours an orangey haze with lots of floaties and a white head.

Smell is lacking. Very little smell of hops and some biscuit smell.

Taste is a chalky bitter dry finish. Hopefully this is not fresh, but it is within the best by date. It tastes a little stale.

Mouthfeel is good and the dry finish leaves it very easy drinking.

06-25-2009 00:20:38 | More by aubuc1
jdklks

Nevada

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Light gold with a thin white head that is stickier than would be expected from said thinness. A LOT of sediment that is fine as far as the beer goes, but adds nothing to the appearance.

S- Smell is dominated by hops, though the smell isn't all that strong. There is a maltiness apparent in the smell that balances, so far as they can be balanced, the hops.

T- Taste is equally hoppy all the way through, from beginning to end. A bitter hop aftertaste. Malts are apparent, though under-represented in relation to the hops, which could be good or bad. As an IPA, I enjoy the unbalance. Overall, there is not much complexity here---hops and malts.

M- On the lighter side of medium-bodied.

D- This is an all-around great beer, and it is made better by its drinkability. A 6 pack will be no problem here. Very enjoyable, very sessionable.

06-21-2009 04:59:48 | More by jdklks
jwheeler85

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Ah Smutty... how I go through love/hate phases with you and your mineral sometimes earthy tasting brews:

A- Poured a nice orange-amber with a thin head lacing

S- A nice very hoppy aroma with a good strong full malt backing

T- Starts off malt sweetness forward, then the hop bitterness kicks in and gets even more bitter as it finishes.

M- Medium bodied with a little effervescence.

D- Today, this one hit the spot. But, other days... not so much. It's a good round and full IPA, but some days it seems a bit too metallic and mineral tasting. All Smutty's seem to have this earthy harshness to them... maybe just the water used. Sometimes I like that, other times not.

06-18-2009 14:13:39 | More by jwheeler85
smibroncos

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

A. Poured a slightly cloudy orange copper, with a one finger white head. Good lacing on the glass.

S. Grass, hops, citrus, floral

T. Hop oil, yummy. Bitter bite. Flavor increases after you swill.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonated, oily coats you pallet.

D. I will definately drink this beer again. A robust IPA plenty of flavor and character.

06-16-2009 03:11:33 | More by smibroncos
HopHeadHerman

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I bought one of the bombers at a local grocery store.

A -- Light Orange.

S -- Very distinct hops, delightful

T -- Wow. citrusy, hoppy, balanced. A lingering taste, if you will

M -- Smoooth, dry

D -- Incredible. I think I may found a new favorite Northeast IPA. Great job, Smuttynose.

06-15-2009 02:43:43 | More by HopHeadHerman
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours an orange-ish color...small head, sticks to the side. I can see a good amount of carbonation..and some sediment in the glass as well

Aroma: Hops. Pine, floral. Some sweet leaning malts in the background. Maybe caramel?

Taste: Bitter to start...then it lingers into the malts, there is also this buttery character that I'm getting that is great. Hops throughout

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, creamy

Drinkability: Its a good IPA, but I don't know how many of these I can take. There is quite a bit of bitterness..

Recommended

06-13-2009 03:17:34 | More by kshankar
originalsin

4.43/5  rDev +8%

No idea how I haven't gotten around to picking up some smuttynose since I've been home. What a treat.

The IPA has a nice deep orange color that borders on gold. The head is white, creamy, and ample--it laces well throughout. The nose on this beer is a real treat--a nice dose of floral hops and pine resin. It smells heavily of grapefruit and reminds me so much of a lot of my favorite amazing smelling dipas, just toned down a bit. I love the way this beer smells and it makes me really happy.
All in all, this is a clean, drinkable, and very smooth ipa. It's very assertive with it's hop flavors- grapefruit practically kicks you in the face and then the moment you swallow. The mouthfeel is good- it's medium bodied and quite well carbonated, all of which lends to pretty decent drinkability. Maybe, just maybe, I've had much more drinkable IPAs but this is still great.

I love the east coast. I absolutely love the east coast.

06-12-2009 06:17:25 | More by originalsin
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Tasted on June 8, 2009.

A: Golden yellow to copper. With a small head that stick well to the glass... Nice!

S: Well this is an IPA so I get mainly hops. Piny hops with a little something else that make it very nice... Caramel malts maybe.

T: Dry bitterness, awesome. Hop's oil stick well in the mouth, the taste linger in the mouth. Wow! I like, err love, that.

M: Full bodied beer and round feeling in the mouth. A very fine beer... I want more.

D: Sooo easy to drink.

Received from Ralphus for CanBIF5. Thanks Ralphus!

06-12-2009 01:42:45 | More by ZorPrime
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on tap at a sports bar. Took a while for the bartender to pour because the tap was giving an excessive head, but when I finally got the beer it was dark yellow to orange with a nice haze. There was a one finger, pillowy, white head with great retention. The smell was all hops, grapefruit and pines notes in nice balance. The taste follows behind this. There are nice grapefruit notes at the beginning of each sip that recede in nice bitter pine note at the end. The pale malt is barely there for me, but it does allow the hops to take center stage. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little carbonation. Drinkability is average due to the bitter hop flavor that lingers and the moderate ABV.

Overall, a great IPA I really enjoyed. Certainly worth the try. Just a terrific hopbomb.

06-11-2009 03:54:02 | More by Gosox8787
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

pours light orange and copper with a bit of haze. light white head and very light retention. little to no lacing.

light pine hop and and a wee bit of floral. light sweet malts

very bitter! light grassy notes but very light. hidden citrus within the bitterness. light pine flavor. malts are sweet but light. grapefruit like finish that lingers.

fairly full bodied medium carbonation that assists with the bitterness and flavor.

given the bitterness and flavor, i doubt i could go much further than 2-3 of these but overall i love this. one of the better IPA's i have had.

06-09-2009 03:13:42 | More by hooliganlife
beerphan

12oz bottle -> american pint
Best Before: Nov 09
notched on label

Pours a bright golden orange that just shines. A small wispy head dissipates quickly, some patchy lace, but not much. Carbonation is mild and persistant.

Nose: Light hops, caramel, grass, citrus.

Huge grassy flavor initially, quelled by some residual sugar/caramel flavors that bow too an imperial bitterness, that overstays its welcome. Big, Balanced and bitter. This ones a keeper. Huge flavors without a huge ABV, makes this one a good choice for a palate busting evening of IPA drinking.

The beer was bought to you by the album Billy Breathes, circa 1996.

06-09-2009 01:31:23 | More by beerphan
dhd1491

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

The guy behind the register at the beer store said, "You're going to love the Smuttynose; that's an awesome brew". He was right!

Normally, I don't like a beer that is this grassy; flint and grass are major flavor profiles from the first sip. The balance is superb, though, and creates a highly enjoyable IPA. To counter the sour grass, there is butter and caramel malts. Overall, very fresh tasting and unique. No negative cereal notes like the kind I have endured in other grassy IPAs.

I notice, though I have several different kinds of beer in my fridge at the moment, the Smuttynose is what I reach for first. To me, that's the ultimate yardstick to measure a brew's true worth!

06-07-2009 21:17:11 | More by dhd1491
TheRowan

Vermont

A: golden clear small head but very active
S: Fruity, citrus, hay, and clean smelling
T: Bitter citrus flavors, almost floral. Not to sweet. Hay/pine flavor to go with the citrus. like being outside.
M: Active and has a bite to it. Refreshing. fills the hole mouth. Very carbonated.
D: Has and will always be a great IPA and is best enjoyed outside relaxing like the guys on the label.

06-07-2009 17:43:55 | More by TheRowan