Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Frm 4/3/10 notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours an orange amber color with one finger of white head. light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops and bready malts. some pine hops too.

t - Tastes of citrus hops and and smooth caramel and bready malts. Nice bitter aftertaste and nice combination of hops and malts here.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A nice cheap IPA. Great mix of hops and malts in the taste and a nice bitter IPA aftertaste. Could drink a bunch of these and would try it again.

mdfb79, Apr 04, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Stormking47 for this delicious treat.

Poured a lazy hazy amber color. Not much head and minimal lacing.

Smelled of a nice balance between hops at the forefront with a little malt thrown in for good measure.

Taste was really impressive. Very pronounced malt backbone which carried the intense hop presence on its back. The longer it was in the mouth the more intense the hops became. Very nice.

Mouthfeel was just average. Slick and a bit thin. Not oily or syrupy.

I could drink these all day. The hops would lose its personality after a few but the malt would still taste just fine. Too bad I have to trade to get it or it would be a regular in my rotation.

livewire78, Apr 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

pours a golden orange with a bit of haze, large white head with plenty of lacing, and a good amount of sediment is floating.

smells of pine, lemon, a bit of acidic citrus, like a good, hoppy beer should. a bit of biscuity malt is there, barely.

Tastes of grassy hops, grapefruit, a bit of spice, with more of the acidic citrus punch. not much malt can be detected. a tiny bit of alcohol harshness seems to amplify the bitter flavors which stay on the tongue for a while.

mouthfeel is good. has a bubbly, yet velvety feel.

drinkability is good. bitter, tasty, refreshing. having to strain the sediment through my teeth does not help it, though.

being unfiltered adds to this beer's best asset, but is probably its biggest detractor, as well. the mouthfeel is perfect, but the appearance and drinkability would be higher without the amount of solid floaties. I tried not to let it affect the score too much, since I should have been more careful handling/pouring the beer.

silentjay, Mar 31, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Looks beautiful. A slightly hazy dull cooper with about a finger of light head and so a plenitude of bubbles. Heavy lacing.

S: I don't know if my nose is on the fritz or this is a weak bottle, but the nose is very faint. I detect a vague citrus, not entirely unlike Pinesol.

T: Ah ha! Here are all the flavours I expected in the smell. Not unlike many IPAs, but particularly notable is the grapefruit balancing out the bitterness. Hops are, of course, prevalent, and are the dominant flavour as the citrus recedes.

M: Delightful. The carbonation and citrus conspire for an forceful and pleasant shock at the beginning of the sip, which trails off into a dry, pleasing finish.

D: I can nurse a Smuttynose IPA for a long time, but there is no guarantee that is what I will do. A strong beer and excellent IPA -- if only it were a little hoppier, it might be my favourite of the style.

AgentMunky, Mar 29, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours cloudy orange/golden with white creamy foam. Mine has sediment floating - is that right? Very sticky.

Big bold smell, lots of citrus, pine, grassy, with some fruit tucked underneath. Nice blend.

Taste is pungent - light sour like grapefruit, with a firm pine-y hop punch at the end. The bitterness lingers on and on. My toungue hurts.

So - the long and short is that powerful IPAs are not my thing. I like the taste being offered here, but its just too too much. The hops have taken over my mouth and are holding certain taste buds hostage. I couldn't drink another one of these - but do see how 'hopheads' would clamor for it.

KTCamm, Mar 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours a nice medium gold color with a creamy foam layer across the top, mild amounts of carbonation.

S - Citrus and pine with crackery malt aromas. The hops have an almost acidic character in the smell.

T - Bitter pine needles up front, citrus is mildly present, but the pine dominates. Midway through the sip the malt starts to surface but very quickly gets swirled back underneath the hop bitterness. Some pineapple appears at the very end before the hops immediately slap it down. This beer finishes with a bite.

M - Medium body, finishes dry and crisp with mild amounts of prickly carbonation on the tongue.

D - Exceptional. This is a beer I would keep around my beer cellar as a staple brew and a favorite go to IPA. It doesn't set the world on fire with anything extreme, but what it is, is one very solid IPA.

jzeilinger, Mar 28, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Light golden orange, huge, tight white head. Ok active carbonation. Very frothy/billowy head. Quite attractive.

S: Softish piney smell is strong but smooth, maybe a little sweet.

T: Sort of a dry piney taste, not nearly as nice as the nose, much sharper, but still strong. Closer to an American pale ale.

M: Light and airy, too much so, I want an IPA with some backbone.

D: A very drinkable, well put together beer.

mdwalsh, Mar 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8%

A- poured a hazy dark golden color with a nice foamy head that remained for almost the duration of the beer

S-grapefruit, citrus, all the typical hop aromas, i wish it was slightly more pronounced, a slight malt aroma in the background

T-well balanced hops and malts with just a slight bitterness at the end

M-typical IPA, nice and crisp and slightly carbonated, i love when the hops scratches on the back of your mouth

D-this is a great IPA. i've always seen it at the store but never got around to picking up a six pack. i'm glad I did; very balanced with a nice clean hop flavor and aroma

scottyb88, Mar 25, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Im glad Smuttynose is in Ohio now. This was a gem of a find in the cooler at the corner shitmart.

A- Big everlasting sticky head. Tons of lacing. The beer is hazed from some sediment, similar to orange pulp. The color is similar to orange juice too.

S- Citrusy and floral. Grapefruit and light floral hops.

T- Sometimes bitter sometimes juicy. Pine and grapefruit. There isnt too much of a malt base but whats there is lightly toasted and crackery. Huge build up of crushed aspirin collects in the mouth with each subsequent sip.

M- Mild carbonation. An IPA could use a bit more, its still prickly and crisp though. Very clean finishing.

D- Good summertime IPA. Im glad I can find this so easily.

MbpBugeye, Mar 21, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

I get to revisit a beer I used to drink whenever I could 10-12 years ago thanks to a trade with BA johnmichaelsen. The beer poured a semi-hazy yellow-gold color with a nice rocky white head that had good retention and lacing.

The smell was nicely hop forward with the citrus and pine hops having the lead. The flavors were fairly similar, just bolder and more pronounced. There was enough malt backbone to notice in the mouth that didn't show up in the scent.

The body was perhaps a little fuller than average. Drinkability was very good, just as I remembered. I first encountered this beer on a visit to New Hampshire Speedway for an IRL race, and drank considerable numbers of various Smuttynose beers and this was as good as I remember.

beertunes, Mar 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Lots of sea froth foam on a hard pour, spotty lacing down the sides of the glass, pale to medium gold in color, some signs of sediment floating in the beer - 3.25, S: The aroma is quite earthy and herbal along with some citrus, mild caramel - 3.50, T: Solid hop bite, lots of lingering bitterness, pine sap, mildly medicinal and pungent - 3.75, M: Medium bodied and faintly creamy - 4.00, D: A solid IPA all around, well representative of the style - 4.00

deereless, Mar 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

a: This was a somewhat hazy golden color, a bit on the dark side. It was served to me with a short frothy cap.

s: Grapefruit and lemon hop aromas backed by plenty of caramel. Fresh and inviting.

t: Well balanced IPA. Caramel and grapefruit are both abundant but neither takes over. The finish is a bit rough, with some of that flavorless, harsh bitterness.

m: Almost unbelievably creamy, very nice.

d: Certainly a very good IPA, but I have to admit I was hoping for a bit more.

DIM, Mar 17, 2010

On tap in pint glass at the Lucky Dog.
Served with one finger of head with decent lacing. Deep floral nose along with a light citrus smell. Strong grapefruit and pine hop flavor hit hard up front with a dry and bitter finish that lingers for a while. Solid mouthfeel with proper carbonation. Put two down in short order. Very classic example of the AIPA style.

JunkYardJake, Mar 13, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +19%

A - looks good to me, if the floaties are supposed to be there, I like watchin' em float.

S - if fresh air had a smell, it would smell like this, with some citrus thrown in

T & M - Grapefruit and floral with a bite and very D-are-eye finish.

D - Unlike some other IPA's I've had this does not overpower. High drinkability in my opinion.

Overall, a great beer, and it seems everything I've had from Smutty has been good. This and Racer 5 are probably my current favorites as IPA's go.

al3, Mar 11, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner...

initial smell in the bottle is unimpressive.
the smell when poured into the glass is slightly better.
It has a very slight citrusy smell - not overwhelming.

Pours a well carbonated honey color with thin white head... the unfiltered sediment is appealing to the homebrewer... (think sea monkeys) - this gives it slightly foggy/cloudy look.

it appears light bodied but it feels slightly heavier on the palate. As american IPAs go, this isn't bad. I usually like more aroma from this type of beer.

the taste has a great bitterness and excellent mouthfeel.

klkatz, Mar 10, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

It has a bronze/gold color with a slight haze. Poured with very little head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a little funky at first, but ends with a very nice piney hop smell. There is a very nice pine hop flavor as soon as the beer hits the mouth and stays throughout the drink and for a while once the drink is finished. It goes down pretty smooth, but leaves a bitter hoppy taste in the mouth a while after the drink. I did drink this right after Pliny the Elder, and I hope I didn't knock this beer undeservedly.

hughesm4, Mar 09, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Slightly dark gold/bronze color with a finger of white head that quickly disappeared and left a thin lacing on the glass.

S - Subdued hops with some bitter esters and sweet malt.

T - Lots of bitter hops and some smooth sweet malts. Unlike many IPAs this has a far more steely strong bitter hop profile.

M/D - Mouthfeel is rough in a hard bitter way, but not bad for this type of IPA. This is a beer that will hit an exact spot when you're in the mood for it.

mwa423, Mar 09, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A: Pours a nice hazy gold/orange with lots of fish-food floaters. Didn't get much of a head at all, but did leave some nice rings throughout.

S: Floral, citrus, and piney hops.

T: Strong grapefruit and pine throughout. The hops completely squash any chance of any maltiness to be noticed. Very very dry and hoppy and loving it!

M: Crisp, medium-bodied, and very refreshing.

D: This is a fantastic IPA! Personally, one that I could have a lot of. Very crisp and refreshing. Definitely not an IPA to use if you're just trying to get into the style, thought.

nelnutter, Mar 07, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Although there isn't much head at all, what head there is creates a ton of lacing around the outside of my glass. The smell is hoppy, but not as much as I would have expected based on descriptions of the beer's taste. After my first sip, I understand the hype. I'm so glad that smuttynose is now available in Ohio. This beer has incredible amounts of hop bitterness. Almost a steely type of flavor with a lot of bite. This might be my new goto IPA.

degerbah, Mar 07, 2010

Bomber w/ best before date: July 2010

I haven't had this beer in about two years and decided to revisit it because I wasn't too fond of IPAs at the time.

Slightly hazy golden color bordering on amber. Small white head slowly fades back down leaving soapy bubbles on top. The lacing coats the glass evenly, fizzes and drops back down leaving a scattered spider web of foam.

Smell is nutty, woody, and piney. In the taste there is one thing that I remember, it was very bitter for just an IPA. Upon my first sip it was just how I remembered it being, long-lasting bitterness. If this were gum, it would be "Extra" longlasting gum. The bitterness just lasts and lasts and lasts.

There is something that I don't remember at all. I get a huge taste of watermelon. To be exact it actually tastes like a watermelon Jelly Belly with a piney after taste. The hop combo and flavor is very different from any IPA I've ever had. This definitely stands on it's own and is very unique. This could quench the bitter thirst of any West Coaster. And they'd be surprised to find out it wasn't a DIPA.

The malt doesn't really have a chance to shine through all these hops. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's anything more than base malt anyways.

Mouthfeel is so smooth and hoppy. There's a sensory overload in each sip. I'm thinking that unique flavor is from slight vegetable character because of all the hops that must be used in making this. Although I don't know how much hops are used in this brew either. There's definitely a hefty bittering addition though. I think they are using that flavor to their advantage though. But, even though I'm new to brewing, I could be wrong about this whole theory.

This was a great revisit. Smuttynose knows how to please a beer geek and is very underrated, IMO.

BearsOnAcid, Mar 06, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the B with soupedupdeisel. I've only had this one in a bottle a long time ago before I appreciated HOPS. I am now reviewing as a HOP ADONIS.

A - A yellowish peach color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. I think of the old video game "dig dug" when I look at the intricate lacing designs. Almost looks as though the little character that digs went around my whole glass carving out parts to create the image left on my glass.

S - Wow, did someone squeeze grapefruits and drip sap from pinecones into my glass??? To borrow part of my review from soupedupdeisel - "It smells like Christmas morning, does this beer come with presents?"

T - A medly of pine, hops, grapefruit, and almost no malt backbone. Not for the squeamish. Don't try to introduce your coors light drinking friends into the craft brew world with this one. They will choke and spit it up. This isn't quite the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted but it is the most piney. I feel like they tapped a tree and filled up my pint glass adding a shot of ground up pine cone at the end.

M - Very tight and crisp, nothing forgiving about this one. I feel like you'd either love it or hate it. Medium carbonation and in your face flavor. This is the gusher fruit snack of the beer world.

D - Even though the ABV is not that high... this one was a sipper for me. I was trying to keep some of my taste buds in tact for the next beer. Very bold ipa... very enjoyable.

DNICE555, Mar 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -22%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a orange-ish amber color with lots of floating particulates. I know the beer is unfiltered but this looks like swamp water, very unappealing. If I hadn't heard so many good things about this beer I would have drain poured it based on the appearance.

Unfortunately the aroma isn't helping redeem this beer for me. I expected to get a big hoppy nose, but I got more earthy, mildly malty smell with just the slightest hint of hops.

The taste is more impressive, but not by much. A fair amount of hop bitterness with lots of grapefruit and piney flavors. Nice clean flavor. Unfortunately I am still underwhelmed. While it is not terrible, it is certainly not terrific...

Although the appearance is disconcerting, and the aroma is lacking in character the flavor definately makes up for it.

CBlack85, Mar 05, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours up a nice golden color with a full 2 finger head. Tons of floaters here. More than I am used to and probably have ever witnessed. Crazy to see this in an IPA.

S: Pine and floral hops. Very nice pungent smell.

T: Strong piney hops. Grassy and floral notes as well. Really no malt backbone at all here. A very unique IPA. Dry and hoppy with no real sweetness. Pleasantly surprised to find an IPA with all hop and no malt.

M: Nice crisp feel. A little bit creamy. Better than most but not outstanding.

D: Crisp and refreshing. Could session alot of these.

kirkpjr, Mar 02, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

The label says it's unfiltered and boy do I believe it. This pours out an astonishing amount of floaties. It looks like sea monkeys are living in my beer. I'm guessing this is a sign of collapsed proteins, a clear a sign of an overaged beer. Damn. The color is a murky golden brown topped by a 1.2" foamy head that lays down nice spots of lacing.

The neck label also says it's dry hopped. Neck label lies. The aroma is mostly grainy and in no way hoppy. The best before date says it's good until a notch between A and M of just past 10. Might it be too late already, with April 2010 just over a month away, and this coming from an unrefrigerated shelf somewhere in Buffalo? As it warms it's almost...earthy. Musty like a wet basement in the most humid days of August? Meh. Smuttynose indeed. Some caramel does come out as well, but at this point it's too little, too late.

Luckily it tastes way better that it smells, though with a modest amount of bitterness for an IPA, again likely due to the lack of freshness. Lots of grapefruit and tropical fruits with (weak though it is) a sticky, leafy, resiny bitterness that clings to every corner of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation and very creamy, all of which makes this go down easy.

This was a strange one for me. The aroma was off-putting and yet it tasted pretty good. But it wasn't at its freshest. Knowing this in some ways I feel it might not be fair to review this beer, but they came up with the best before date of April 2010, not me. For me the experience was a strong argument for putting bottled-on dates on IPAs rather than best-before dates.

MeisterBurger, Feb 26, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden hue with yeast particle suspended throughout and a slightly off white head. Lots of citrus fruit on the nose and a little bit of sweetness. An almost perfect blend of flavoring and bitter hops with a sweet malt backbone, bright citrus upfront and a mouth puckering bitter finish. Dry mouthfeel and a medium body, flavors stick to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. This is a tremendous brew that nails it, a great beer all around.

brewbasterd, Feb 26, 2010